Chapter 15

The Masquerade

“I haven’t any idea who put it in my pocket.” Minseok reiterated, it felt like he had already explained the situation at least a half dozen times.

“I believe you.” The Duke of Hayden nodded.

After Minseok had so non-fortuitously pulled the Duchess’s necklace from his pocket, Yunho was quick to diffuse suspicion by loudly explaining “It must have fallen and hooked on the Viscounts pocket.” Yunho’s attempt was the best he could do. Minseok realized and appreciated Yunho’s efforts, though it failed to stifle the guest’s reactions to the event.

The party had been most certainly disrupted – and certain people were more than happy to instigate the gossip that Minseok was actually the jewel thief. After some time Yunho had asked Jongdae, Junmyeon, The Duke, and Minseok to meet in the Duke’s study; away from prying eyes and eager ears. The gala was still technically underway.

“What is going on?” Luhan had frowned after hearing that Minseok would be meeting with the others – including his Father – without any explanation. Luhan had no idea Minseok was involved in the investigation and Yunho had no desire to explain it to him. So Minseok had left Luhan to stand alone, confused, and possibly suspicious.

The fact that Luhan may suspect him killed Minseok, made him feel sick. Luhan had seemingly dismissed any doubts of Minseok’s innocence after Yunho had tried to explain it was an accident; Luhan’s first reaction – his expression – quickly dissipating into a small smile and some supporting words. But what if Luhan was only miming his trust? What if Luhan really did suspect him?

“The thief is most definitely in attendance.” Jongdae pounded his fist down on the Duke’s desk out of frustration, “And I highly doubt he will be doing anything more tonight.”

A small knock sounded on the door to the study, a servant coming in to interrupt the tense conversation. Yunho had a message. Opening the folded piece of paper he began to read carefully.

“What is it, Uncle?” Jongdae asked, curious.

Yunho remained silent as he continued reading.

“It must have been one of the dancers.” Junmyeon mused.

“I think so too. Do we have a list of everyone who was dancing? I can recall – let me see…”Minseok tried to concentrate on who he had passed during the dance. It was fortunate the dance called for the change of partners, allowing Minseok to see more of the dancers than he would have if they had been dancing a quadrille or a waltz.

“The Duchess of course…Luhan, Sehun, Baekhyun, Chanyeol…” Minseok began recounting the people he knew that were on the dance floor at the time.

“Jongdae, I need to have a word with you. If you will please excuse us, My Grace.” Yunho bowed to the Duke, a confused and curious Jongdae trailing behind him as they left the room. Minseok stopped listing off names, suddenly very curious as to what the message for Yunho contained.

***

Luhan had made up his mind. He would enter the study whether he was invited or not. His fiancée was likely being interrogated at the moment and he could not live with himself if he ignored the situation, if he continued to smile and converse at the party while Minseok faced one of the biggest challenges of his life.

He knew Minseok was not guilty. There was no possible way that Minseok could ever steal anything. Minseok could never stoop so low. No – he was the man who had taken a scandal upon himself to make that brat Sehun’s life easier, there was no possible way he would be morally bankrupt enough to steal. No, it was impossible, Luhan knew it.

Luhan wished he could prove it, but he wasn’t sure how. What he needed to know was what his Father, Yunho, and the other men were talking about. Perhaps point him in the direction of how to go about clearing any doubt that may be cast towards D’Adderleigh. He had to do something.

Luhan was walking down the long hall towards the study when he heard the door open. He stopped, catching the sight of Yunho and Jongdae leaving the room. Luhan pressed himself against the wall, attempting to remain out of sight, as they began speaking.

“One of my men received a tip that the jewels are hidden at D’Adderleigh’s house.” Yunho held a piece of paper up, speaking in low tones as he explained the contents to Jongdae.

“Uncle, you can’t believe that!” Jongdae protested “What reason would Minseok have to steal?”

“We don’t know. He was away for three years. Jongdae, I am not trying to be unreasonable, but you must understand we need to look at this situation from every angle.”

“I can’t believe it. I won’t believe it.” Jongdae felt sick. His best friend was a thief? That just wasn’t possible. There was no chance D’Adderleigh would do such a thing.

“I am sending men to his house right now. If the jewels are found I have no option but to arrest him.” Yunho explained. “I would appreciate if you could keep this a secret for now.”

“I – “Jongdae shook his head “Fine. I will keep it a secret for now, Uncle. However please know I do not think this is a possibility.”

“We shall see.” Yunho said quietly “We shall see.”

***

Kyungsoo was not having a good night. Not even a little bit. He had finished reading his novel, was lying in bed considering what to cook for breakfast the next morning, when a loud knock sounded on the front door. Groaning, he got out of bed and made his way to answer the door. He hoped whomever was visiting was at least cordial enough to leave as soon as he explained Minseok was not home.

Whomever was at the door was rather rude, Kyungsoo thought. They were banging continuously and loudly, without any respect for sleeping neighbors or tired valets. As Kyungsoo twisted the doorknob and opened the door, a fist was still pounding, suddenly hanging in midair.

Once Kyungsoo focused his eyes, moving away from the awkward fist on the door to the visitor, his eyes grew wide. There was not one visitor, but many. Half a dozen or so based on a quick count.

“May I help you?” Kyungsoo asked, slightly afraid of what six grown men wanted with Minseok late at night.

A piece of paper was flashed in front of Kyungsoo’s face. “We are from the Home Office. Official business. We have word a jewelry thief may be residing here, please step aside.”

“What?!” Kyungsoo couldn’t believe what he was hearing “My master is not a thief!”

“We will be the judge of that.” The man practically shoved Kyungsoo aside, the rest of the men trailing in after them.

Kyungsoo stood shocked as they began lighting candles here and there, casting enough light to begin searching the house.

“You are creating a mess!” Kyungsoo wanted to cry as drawers were pulled open, cushions overturned. Three of the men went barreling upstairs. He wasn’t sure what he should do. And then suddenly he heard a shout from one of the men upstairs “The jewels are up here!”

Kyungsoo, loyal and patient and regimented Kyungsoo, broke form. He did something he never would normally do. But he had to. For his employer. He blew out his candle and ran out the front door. Minseok was surely in trouble and Kyungsoo was not about to abandon him now. He had to get to the Hayden estate – before the men from the Home Office did.

***

The rustle of clothing, the jingle of a pouch containing a large amount of coins. And the voice of Kim Heechul.

“So help me god, Luhan you better not be planning anything stupid!” Heechul was standing in the middle of Luhan’s bedroom, hands on his hips, watching as Luhan fluttered about the room, gathering random items here and there.

“No, nothing stupid.” Luhan continued rushing around the room. Heechul had found Luhan dashing up the stairs and had followed him, suspecting his friend would do something brash just by the look on his face.

“You are clearly running away. I do not understand how doing so could be considered an intelligent move!” Heechul threw his hands up in frustration.

Luhan stopped suddenly, approaching Heechul with a serious look on his face “If saving the one you love is stupid than what is intelligent. Please, Heechul, just let me be.”

Heechul swallowed. He didn’t know why he associated with Luhan half the time, but deep down he did have a lot of love for his friend. His passionate, foolish friend. And he knew that Luhan truly loved Minseok, even though he went about it all the wrong way.

“Let me go. Please, don’t say a word to anyone.” Luhan pleaded.

“Where will you go?” Heechul asked.

“I am not sure.” Luhan went back to packing up his things.

Heechul sighed. “Fine, I won’t say anything. But please at least have horses or something ready. You are far too delicate to be hauling that monstrosity of a bag around with you.”

Luhan hugged Heechul “Thank you. See, I knew you were a friend.”

“Unfortunately.” Heechul pushed Luhan off of him playfully. Easton was really going to be the death of him someday.

***

Kyungsoo was extremely self-conscious at the moment. Before answering the door he had slipped on his uniform trousers and shirt, though both were far too wrinkled for his liking. He had some money with him, which he used to hail a hackney to the Hayden residence. He prayed that Minseok was still there, hopefully not in chains.

When the carriage deposited him at the back of the estate, near the service entrance, Kyungsoo quickly paid the driver and alighted. There were several gas streetlamps lining the road, an indication of how affluent the area was.

Kyungsoo walked the road, unsure of how best to find his employer. He would most definitely need to enter through the service entrance, walking through the front door was an unimaginable act for someone of his rank and class. What should he say to the Hayden servants? That his Master had an emergency he needed to attend to? What if Minseok was already under arrest?!

Kyungsoo bit his bottom lip, feeling a few tears sting his eyes he held them back. Now was not the time to cry. He had to see that his master was safe.

As he neared the servant’s entrance he paused. Someone was guiding a small carriage up to stop near the back of the house. Straining to see under the gas lighting Kyungsoo watched as the carriage driver jumped down from the driver’s bench, holding the reins carefully. He recognized the man as Luhan’s valet – Jongin. What was a valet doing driving a carriage? Kyungsoo shook off the question, deciding the operations of the Hayden household staff was the least of his current concerns. Instead he reasoned he would take his chances. Perhaps the man could tell him where Minseok was.

“Excuse me.” Kyungsoo cleared his throat “I am here for my master, Viscount D’Adderleigh. Do you perchance know if he is still in attendance of the gala?”

Jongin looked surprised, jumping as Kyungsoo spoke. “I..um…you frightened me.”

“Hm. Yes, I am-“Kyungsoo hated apologizing to strangers but he did so nonetheless, as it was polite “Sorry to startle you. Is the Viscount D’Adderleigh here?”

Kyungsoo narrowed his eyes as he watched the other valet stare at the ground, then the house, then the ground. The man was acting very odd indeed.

“Did you perhaps not hear my question?” Kyungsoo blurted out, feeling anger rise up inside him. It was of the utmost importance that he find Minseok, and quickly.

“I – I –“Jongin stuttered, moving his head oddly as if he was pointing towards something, jerking his head towards a target of attention. Kyungsoo followed where he was gesturing to. He could make out a man guarding a door at the back of the house, a small entrance that appeared to be disused- judging by the antiquated hardware.

Kyungsoo raised an eyebrow, looking back at the other valet. “Is he from the home office?” He mouthed.

Jongin nodded. Kyungsoo felt like the air had left his lungs. Was he already too late?

***

The half glass of brandy did not take the edge off. Minseok sensed something very strange was going on, something even more bizarre than the events of the last few hours. When Yunho and Jongdae had returned to the room the atmosphere had become strange. Jongdae wouldn’t make eye contact with Minseok while Yunho seemed to be glaring at him.

Minseok found himself fidgeting due to his nerves. Junmyeon had already gone over the list of those guests dancing time and time again, before confirming with the Duke that no one on that list had left the gala. Yunho had made sure of it, the Duke had confirmed.

When another knock sounded on the door, Minseok jumped. He was on his wits end as Yunho was called out of the room. A growing sense of dread was overcoming him. He looked at his best friend Jongdae, desperately wishing he would give Minseok some sort of reassurance all was right. But he didn’t. He couldn’t, it seemed.

It was no more than a few minutes after Yunho had stepped out that the door was thrown open, a wild eyed Kim Heechul striding in.

“There has been another theft!” Heechul declared loudly.

“What?!” Junmyeon and the Duke exclaimed in unison, everyone rising to their feet.

“In the dining room. Please- come this way!” Heechul turned to go, Junmyeon, Jongdae, and the Duke immediately rising to follow him. Minseok stood as well, Heechul nonchalantly offering him a wink. What was going on? He was at the back of the line as the men moved towards the door.

Once they reached the hallway, Minseok noticed immediately that Yunho was nowhere in sight. He wondered where he was and who he was talking to. Before he could dwell on the fact too much, or consider what dastardly second theft could have possibly occurred, he felt a hand on his arm. In a swift blur of movement he was suddenly pressed up into an alcove, a hand over his mouth. He struggled, unsure of who had just grabbed him.

“Shhh.”

It was Luhan. Thank god it was Luhan.

“We are going to get out of here.” Luhan whispered. Minseok nodded. As the footsteps of the other men echoed down the hall, Luhan turned Minseok to face him.

“We have to be quiet.” Luhan grabbed Minseok’s hand and led him in the opposite direction. Minseok followed without speaking. He knew something terrible must have happened, if Luhan was talking about escaping from his own family’s gala…from their engagement party.

They reached the servants staircase, following it up as quietly as possible. The wooden steps creaked, Minseok’s heart dropping a little every time he heard the creak of a step. Once they were at the top of the stairs Minseok heard a commotion from downstairs. Luhan froze for a moment before suddenly breaking into a run, dragging Minseok behind him.

“He escaped!” “Catch the thief!” Shouts were heard from downstairs.

Minseok found himself rushing to catch up with Luhan as they s through the servants living area, bursting through a door on the second floor. Minseok recognized where they were thanks to Luhan’s tour the other day. They were near the secret passage way. Luhan was planning on using it.

As Minseok had reasoned, Luhan clicked the paneling as he did previously, revealing the passage.

“It is dark, please keep hold of my hand.” Luhan’s hold on Minseok’s hand was iron tight, protective, as they entered the passageway, Luhan clicking the door closed.

Minseok felt for the wall, trying to make sure he didn’t fall as Luhan guided him down the steps. He could hear raised voices but he wasn’t sure where they were coming from. If they were searching the second floor for him…how close he was to being captured. Because undoubtedly they were looking for him. Someone had framed him, apparently quite effectively if Yunho believed it.

Cold air rushed towards them as Luhan slid another panel to reveal a dimly light cellar. They ran across the stone floor, towards roughly hewn stone steps. Minseok recalled Luhan saying this was an exit from the home.

“Wait!” Minseok stopped abruptly, holding Luhan back “There is a man stationed outside of here.” He whispered roughly.

“A man?” Luhan looked confused.

“From the home office.” Minseok blurted out. He would have to tell Luhan everything, but now was not the time. They needed to get out of there.

“We will have to push him aside.” Luhan sounded brave, very brave, as he announced the plan of action and forged ahead. Minseok seriously hoped that the man was not armed.

***

“Hello.” Kyungsoo batted his eyelashes, attempting to look innocent. Or something equally distasteful.

“Please be on your way.” The gruff man practically growled at the small valet. Kyungsoo realized the Home Office – or at least their muscle- had a certain look- big, burly, and not the nicest people in the world.

“Sir, I seem to have lost my master’s billfold. May I ask for your assistance in finding it? I believe I dropped it over there.” Kyungsoo pointed towards the sidewalk, trying to seem like a lost little helpless servant. “Please, sir. I will be let go if I cannot find it.”

The man let out an annoyed groan before following Kyungsoo to where he had been pointing.

“Thank you, kind sir. I am sorry to have troubled you.” Kyungsoo began looking around the sidewalk, the man doing so as well.

“When did you lose it?” The man asked.

“A few minutes ago.” Kyungsoo answered convincingly. The man looked back at the door he had been guarding, checking to ensure nothing had happened in the few seconds he had been away. As he registered the lack of mayhem, his world went dark, his form crumpling to the sidewalk.

“Quick, we need to drag him where he can’t be seen.” Jongin, candlestick in hand gestured for Kyungsoo to help him drag the man away (why did Luhan pack a candlestick in his emergency escape bag? Jongin couldn’t fathom the reason but was amazed at its effectiveness at disarming the man).

Kyungsoo leaned over, about to grab the man’s feet, when the small door bust open. He had only a second to register the two figures running from the building. It was Minseok, Luhan was with him.

“Quickly! Into the carriage!” Luhan pushed Minseok ahead of him. Jongin was quick to understand the situation, reaching out and grabbing Kyungsoo’s hand.

Kyungsoo was shocked when he suddenly found himself being dragged towards the carriage, Jongin lifting him up effortlessly into the driver’s seat before jumping up to sit beside him. In a few seconds the carriage door slammed shut, Minseok and Luhan inside.

Kyungsoo sat in a daze as Jongin jerked the reigns, the horses breaking into a slow gallop. Did Jongin just lift him up, ensuring Kyungsoo’s safety before his own? He found a blush creep over his cheeks at the thought. Kyungsoo quickly shook off his momentary embarrassment, returning to the situation at hand.

“Sir, are you well?” He called back to Minseok.

“Kyungsoo?” Minseok sounded confused, not realizing his valet was there.

“Yes, sir. I can explain.” Kyungsoo shouted.

“Jongin, please hurry.” Luhan yelled out, effectively ending Minseok and Kyungsoo’s short conversation.

It began to rain as the horses picked up speed, four men escaping from a crime not one of them could claim as their own.

------------------

a/n- I realize I should have written and posted this when I made my last update, because I think I made everyone doubt Luhan too much. Because all along Luhan was going to dash in and rescue his man. *swoon* LOL. Now I wonder where they are running off to….fugitive Xiuhan begins!

Thank you, thank you guys for all of the support! <3