04 - Ice Sculptures

The Ice Manifesto
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

HYERI

We stared at the guard slumped on the floor not believing what he said but the alarms started to ring.

“What alarms are those?” Mino asked.

“One that I never wish to hear. It’s our built in radar for monsters.” Mario answered suddenly looking very calm. “I need a co-pilot. He’s uselessly frozen - for the lack of a better word- in fear.”

“Minseok? Think you can handle it?” Luhan asked as Minseok started to unbuckle himself.

“I played with them virtually. Let’s see if I do well in reality.” He answered striding towards Mario and the cockpit.

“Luhan look over them.” Mario ordered as the pit door closed.

“Everyone stay put.” Luhan said. “Hyeri sit.”

“I’m helping.” I answered already out of my seat and rushing to Nam and Lee who were at the window. I pulled them back to their seats. “Why of all the times monsters decided to appear when I’m wearing a dress?”

Luhan rolled his eyes at me as he looked outside. I joined him and saw that the cloud was only partially a cloud. It was in fact snow, snow clouds that were covering the monsters. I can only catch glimpses of something huge moving behind it.

“Why didn’t our radars detect them?”Mino asked.

“Those radars use heat to detect monsters since most monsters of our world release massive amounts of them but we’ll as you can see these monsters are not of the hot kind.” I answered holding into a railing as the Hover craft went up and started to move away.

“It looks like were safe.” Jinwoo said and I was about to agree when our Hover craft went upside down.

“Hyeri!” Luhan exclaimed as my hand slipped from the railing I was holding on. The others were still safely buckled expect for Luhan and I.

Looking down I was nearing a table and braced my legs. I never hit it but instead felt Luhan’s power envelope me and carry me towards Kang who held onto me tightly.

“Lu stop using your powers. Save your strength for later.” I said as our craft went rolling. He ignored my request and used his powers to safely buckle the still unconscious guard. He then swung around until he reached us. Lee and Nam held hands across his chest to be his temporary seat belt.

“What is happening?” Jinwoo asked in a scared voice.

“Let’s not think about that yet and concentrate on keeping alive.” Kang said cursing softly as I almost slipped from his hold. “What is Mario doing?”

“Keeping us alive. This craft would have gone out of control like the others if the driver didn’t know what he was doing.” Luhan answered and pointed outside.

From my vintage point I can see hover crafts and some land bound vehicles tumble and crash. I cringed as one hit a tree. A few more tumbles and we landed sideways. The door to the cockpit flew open and Minseok shouted.

“Hyeri! Come here now! Medic!”

“Where’s the first aid kit?” I ask Kang. He numbly pointed to a bright orange box. I pried his arms off me and ran to it. “Lu get them out. Fast.”

“You two follow right after. Understood?” He answered.

“Yes.” I replied taking the bright orange box towards Minseok who had blood on his hands. I felt panic when I saw it but it wasn’t his blood but Mario’s who was unconscious.

“He got hit by one of those loose figurines when we landed.” Minseok explained as I placed a guaze on the unconcious driver’s head. I placed pressure as my other hand looked for a handheld sealant.

“Minseok! Hyeri! Out! Now!” Luhan shouted.

“I need to stop his blood flow first!” I shouted back.

“Get out now! NOW!” Luhan ordered.

“Oh sh*t.” Minseok said and I looked outside. The cloud was right upon us and I can see a huge feet of - was that ice? “Hyeri come on.”

“But what about Mario?!” I said looking at the unconscious man.

“Hyeri we’re going to die if we don’t get out.” Minseok shouted.

“Guys! PLEASE! OUT!” Luhan shouted.

“This is crazy.” I said and pulled Mario’s arm over my shoulders. “Minseok clear the way for me.”

“Hyeri!” He objected.

“I’m not leaving this man who risked his life to land us safely. Come on! I can carry him.” I answered. “Oppa we’re losing time! Hurry!”

“Damn it Hyeri.” Minseok said but was already making a path.

I took a deep breath and placed Mario’s weight onto mine. I nearly staggered, he was heavy. I half carried half dragged him outside and collapsed on the ground panting.

“Hyeri! You could have died damnit!”Luhan said as he made Mario fly towards the boys off the side where a bunch of other people stood.

“Why are they still here? We need to get out of here.” I said as we started to sprint towards them. Mario had regained consciousness when we reached them. He looked around bewildered.

“Can you run?” I ask him.

“Yes.” He answered.

“Them come on! We need to get out of here.” Luhan said pulling Minseok’s arm as I took Kang and Jinwoo’s. “Come on!”

We ran to the side where it seemed safer but we were wrong. The snow cloud also brought strong winds, where we go debris was flying everywhere.

“Mino!” I screamed as a rather large chuck of metal flew towards him. Luhan saved him by flicking the said metal away.

“Behind those cars. Hurry.” Luhan said. We ran behind the pile and Luhan made more vehicles come towards us forming a barrier. Some people had also joined us.

“What is happening?” A child asked her mother.

“I don’t know son.” The mother answered huddling together.

“Good thing those monsters are not attacking us.” Another one said and he suddenly disappeared and his scream was the only thing we heard.

“He spoke too soon.” Mario said.

“Man how I wish Minsoo is here now.” Luhan said as looked around. “We could really use a barrier.”

We heard a crackling sound and a creature made of ice went over our barrier and looked at us. I should be frightened but it looks so beautiful. It was shaped like a wolf but made of ice. It’s fangs looking cold and menacing. It even growled as it looked at mother and young boy who were frozen in fear. It took a tentative step towards them and lunged. But instead of moving forward it flew backward into another pile of cars and one of it’s ears broke off. It growled and now it was directed towards us.

“You just had to make it mad.” Minseok said as the ice wolf faced us.

“I can’t just watch.” Luhan retorted and clenched his hands pieces of metal flew together and formed a primitive club. It swung sidewards and hit the wolf as it lunged at us, we heard the sound of ice and metal meeting and the wolf blew up into pieces of ice.

One down and of course dozens replaced it’s place. I heard Mario fumble for his gun.

“Hyeri catch.” Minseok said and a short automatic rifle landed on my hands.

“Where did this come from?’ I ask as I turned of the safety.

“I took a few from the craft. I don’t think High Master will mind since we’re going to save his nephews right?” Minseok said also turning off the safety of his.

“You guys stay behind us.” I said to Kang who nods.

“Hyeri you know how to handle a gun?” Lee asked surprised.

“Among other things.” I answered flashing him a grin. I nearly kissed him when I saw a small pair of binoculars hanging on his neck. “Lee can I have that?”

“Sure.” He answered giving it to me. It was an old vintage one that was manual but it will do. I looked through it and saw the ice monster behind the ice wolves. It was huge. Around twelve feet tall. Can we say that we’re lucky that it was alone?

“Lu lift me up. I need a better visual.” I said.

“Be careful.” Luhan said using his hand and I left the ground landing on a trunk of a car on a pile behind us. I used the binoculars again and saw that other for the ice wolves and the ice monstrosity there was a small ice bird flying around. The bird shinned unlike the others. I climbed up on more car and saw a black stone embedded in the bird and also in the chest of the ice monster.

Using the binoculars as I scope I aimed at the black stone in the ice monster’s chest. It hit and the ice monster roared. The black stone glowed red and so did the stone of the ice bird.

“Hyeri! Stop making it mad!” Minseok shouted. I glance at him surprise to not see him panting or something. He looked energized in fact.

I used the binoculars again and saw in the distance towards our left a handful of trucks were coming towards us. Must be the Calvary. If we can reach them we might get to live. I was about to get down when I saw one of the ice wolves lunge at a young man. He screamed and stumbled. I aimed the rifle and shot that ice wolf like I would a normal wolf. It seems to have the same weakness as a normal one would it it crumpled to the ground and burst into a million ice pieces

The other wolves didn’t seem to like it and attacked. I shot two as I went down. Luhan swung his metal club keep them at bay. I landed next to him.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter