Chapter 9

I'm Fine

We all waited in still silence after the button rang with the cute greeting.

Then seconds later, footsteps came up to the door and Ms. Kim opened it.

“Did someone ring the bell?” She looked at us with a friendly smile.

I felt my heart speed up. Her smile was like the warm sunshine after a long winter thunderstorm.

Nobody said anything.

“M-Ms. Kim.” Casper stuttered. “T-Takuya has a gift for you.”

Hearing Casper’s voice made me refocus my thoughts.

“Y-yeah!” I exclaimed and picked up the small blue teacup, holding my palm under it to support it. “For you. For being such a hard-working nurse.”

Her face brightened up even more. “Oh, how thoughtful! You’re very kind.”

She took the cup out of my hands. Her fingers grazed my own and I let out a small breath. Adrenaline was making my heart beat fast.

“I will drink some now but then I have to continue my rounds, okay?” She rose the cup to us in a toast and brought it to her lips.

We all watched breathlessly as she tipped the cup slightly, downed some of the liquid, and handed it back to me.

“Thank you very much, Takuya. It was delicious.” She chuckled.

I forced myself to look down even though every fiber in my body was screaming at me to stare at her face. If I stared any longer, I thought I would have lost my mind.

“N-no problem.” I nodded, trying to avoid showing my hot face.

“Alright, I will leave now. I’ll check in later.”

She waved and turned around. When she approached the door, she touched the knob, but then she stopped and lowered her head slightly.

“Is everything okay?” I took a step forward.

So did everyone else.

“I’m fine. I just…got a little dizzy all of a sudden.” She held the side of her head tenderly.

I couldn’t hold back a small grin that formed in the corners of my mouth.

“You should sit down!” Yongseok quickly pulled out one of the chairs from the table.

“No no, I’ll be fine. Don’t worry about me.”

She waved back at us and opened the door.

When she closed it, we all let out sudden breaths.

“It’s working!” Casper exclaimed.

“Takuya, you’re a genius!” Sangmin added.

“Now someone has to do the hypnotizing.” Yongseok said.

I nodded. “Right.” My gaze immediately turned to Seyoung.

“Seyoung! You know the most about hypnosis! You should use it on her!”

Seyoung acted as if he didn’t hear me and continued to draw circles on the wall.

“What’s his problem all of a sudden? He was so excited before.” Casper looked at him strangely.

My expression fell. “Oh yeah…I think I understand why.”

Everyone looked at me.

“When I grabbed the sedative from the treatment room, the nurse had the other patient in there and she told him that he knows he’s hypnotized and he can’t do anything about it. I think that was his post-hypnotic suggestion.”

“That’s cruel!” Sangmin’s mouth dropped a little.

“He must feel so frustrated…” Yongseok said quietly.

I nodded, thinking back to the treatment room. Then I straightened up and walked over to Seyoung.

“Seyoung, I need your advice.”

“I don’t know.” Seyoung continued to draw and not look at me.

“Yes you do. And I need you to fight against that post-hypnotic suggestion you were given and tell me more useful things about hypnosis.”

“I really don’t know.” Seyoung said through gritted teeth. “I made up all of that stuff. I have no idea if it’s true.”

“Well it makes sense! So keep making stuff up!”

Seyoung was quiet for a long time. Then he slowly turned to look at me.

“Fine…”

I nodded eagerly. “Okay, I’m listening.”

“…make sure the patient is comfortable…relaxed…and completely trusting with your words.”

Seyoung’s fingers tightened around the crayon he was holding and his face tightened.

“You okay?” I asked with widened-eyes.

“When you speak…speak in a… low, calming voice…” Seyoung scratched the side of his head violently.

The others slowly gathered around me, watching Seyoung nervously.

“And most importantly…don’t stop…swinging that…r—AGHH!”

Seyoung yelled in pain and dropped to his knees clutching either side of his head.

“Seyoung?!” Sangmin bent down next to him.

“Are you okay!?” Yongseok bent down as well.

Seyoung took several deep breaths and didn’t remove his hands from his head.

I stared at him in shock but gathered his advice in my head.

Make sure the patient is comfortable…speak in a low, comforting voice…and don’t stop swinging the ring.

I guessed he was going to say “ring” since Ms. Kim was using a small ring on a white chain to hypnotize Wonho.

“M-my head hurts…” Seyoung leaned down and shook a little.

“You don’t have to say anymore!” I said quickly. “You did really well!”

Casper quickly poured a fresh cup of tea and handed it to Yongseok who offered it to Seyoung. He shook his head and continued to take long, deep breaths.

“I-I think I’m gonna…” Seyoung’s body twitch and an unnatural sound came from his throat.

Uh oh.

“G-get a trashcan!” I looked around quickly.

Sangmin ran to the trashcan near the window and ran back to Seyoung’s side.

“Hyung, here!” Yongseok motioned for Seyoung to take the trashcan.

Seyoung shakily reached for it and held it over his mouth. He bent over about ninety degrees and his face disappeared into the trashcan.

We all backed away as a smell filled the air. He wasn’t throwing up loudly, but made small moans once he lifted his head.

“I-I’ll call the nurse.”

Casper held his hand over his mouth and reached over to the table to press the button.

I felt so ashamed and embarrassed.

“I’m so sorry…I didn’t know you’d end up like this…” I slowly lowered my head.

Seyoung slowly shook his head and wiped the corners of his mouth.

“It’s okay…I knew.” He clamped his eyes shut once again and bent over slightly.

“S-stop! Don’t say anything else!” I exclaimed.

Sangmin, Yongseok, and Casper crowded around him to comfort him, keeping the trashcan close by.

I slowly looked to the door as footsteps came closer.

This nurse…she’s going to be sorry…

Ms. Kim opened the door.

“Is everything o—oh my goodness, Seyoung!”

She gave me a startled look and rushed to his side.

“Did you…oh my.” Her nose wrinkled in disdain and put her arm around his shoulder. “You poor thing. Why did you throw up?”

Seyoung kept his head down and shrugged one shoulder.

“Come with me, let’s get you freshened up. Then I’ll check to see if you’re sick.” She smiled and patted his shoulder. He nodded and stood up with her help.

“Takuya, your treatment time is actually scheduled in ten minutes. Would please come with me while I take care of Seyoung so after he’s feeling better, we can do the treatment?”

I fought to hide another smile that formed at my mouth and nodded.

 “Okay, I will.”

“Excellent, thank you.” She led Seyoung out of the door and held it open for me. I turned around to follow her while glancing back at the others.

 

They watched me go with hopeful eyes and Sangmin gave a quick thumbs up.