Verdant

SHINee Drabbles

Title: Verdant

Pairing: 2min (Taemin as Taeyeon/Minho)

Summary: She found herself spending a day in the countryside under a tree talking to a boy and falling in love

Author’s Note: I know these are just drabbles and usually doesn’t have a plot but I hate open endings so I tend to make the stories longer than I originally planned. I don’t write fast so I don’t really know if I can pull this off for long. I still have work to begin with. I’m being hard on myself and I feel like I’m underappreciated. T.T

Song Inspiration: A-yo by SHINee

Word Count: 991

 

ver·dant

/ˈvərdnt/

Adjective: (of countryside) green with grass or other rich vegetation.

synonyms: green, leafy, grassy;

  • of the bright green color of lush grass.

 

-----------------------------

 

Taeyeon had no idea how it happened, one minute she was sitting in a classroom listening to the teacher talk about boring algebra, the next moment she was in a field of verdant, lush and grassy meadows sitting under a tree and staring back at a boy about her age who looked as surprised as she was. She guessed it’s also unusual in that kind of place- no matter how weird the place seemed to be- to see a girl popping out of nowhere and she had the feeling that’s exactly what happened to her so she couldn’t really blame the boy for looking stunned.

“W-who are you?” the boy asked caught between running away and staying to satisfy his curiosity. He chose the latter. “How did you get here?”

She couldn’t respond right away. The scene before her is just too much for her to take. The sky is pink, the sea is red, the tree’s branches are purple and the leaves are yellow. There are two suns and oh my god, is that a flying unicorn? She had never seen a unicorn before much less a flying one.

The only thing that was close to normal is the green-coloured grass. The boy beside him looks normal too for the most part. Except for the medieval clothes that he’s wearing the boy seemed ordinary- the good-looking kind of guy she would usually find during her morning jog on a Sunday morning.

The boy moved closer and poked her cheeks as if trying to make sure she’s real. Ok, she’s taking that back. He’s not even close to normal. The boy is without a doubt weird.

“Where am I?” she asked before realizing they’ve been throwing each other questions but no answers were given.

“You’re weird,” he said completely ignoring her question. A weird person telling him she’s weird is the most bizarre thing she experienced so far and she had the feeling there is so much more in store for her. She didn’t have to wait for long though.

She stood up to leave hoping she would be able to find some other human being that could help her make sense into everything. But before she knew it, her feet which were supposed to be fixed on land are now floating five inches away from the ground. Surprised, she lost her balance and she landed back first on the ground.

Groaning in pain, she gave the boy a glare that would turn anyone speechless but didn’t seem to have any effect on the boy. He was doubled back in laughter, arms wrapped around his front for added effect. He may be good-looking but his attitude is very far from that of a gentleman.

She was about to comment on that when he suddenly moved-more like glided- towards her while she stared tongue-tied from the fact that he was floating in mid-air.

“Here, let me help you.” He pulled her up and helped her stand- no float (she still have to get used to the word)- on her own two feet.

“I’m Minho,” the boy said.

“I’m Taeyeon,” she managed to say before Minho pulled her up and they both glided across the verdant sea of green grass.

It was the most amazing experience of her life. It was wonderfully magical. Minho turned out to be a good company.

At some point he started giving her compliments like her smile is as bright as the moon and that she’s as pretty as the blue snow in the summer. She decided not to comment on the fact that snow is supposed to be white and they fall from the sky during winter, not summer.

Minho makes her happy for reasons she couldn’t understand. Tired and flustered from too much compliments she received in one day, she floated her way back to the tree with Minho following behind.

She knew she has to leave soon. How, she still has no idea. But she could feel it in her gut, as if something is pulling her back. She looked at Minho and he has the look of understanding on his face which made her wonder if he could also read minds.

“You’ll be back right?” he asked.

As much as she wanted to she didn’t know how. If she would be given the choice she would rather stay but this is something she has no control, something which is beyond the both of them.

“Promise me you’ll be back,” he said again.

“I promise,” she said although unsure of how she could keep it.

“I have to make sure you will keep it.” She didn’t understand what he meant. She thought Minho was asking for a pinky promise or something but he surprised her when he suddenly kissed her. Her knees wobbled for a bit and she was worried she might fall -first on the ground for the second time but Minho’s strong arms caught her in time.

And before they could both say something to each other, she was already turning into dust and then there was nothing but an endless darkness.

Moments later she woke up from the sound of the bell. The class has ended and she slept the entire time. Her friend Gwiboon was shaking her shoulders in an attempt to wake her up.

“I’m up,” she said while stifling a yawn.

They walked home and Taeyeon tried to get the bizarre dream out of her mind. But it wasn’t an easy task when she could still remember the feeling of Minho’s lips on hers.

When she reached home, she went straight to her room and while ignoring her piled up homework, skipping dinner, and without even bothering to change into her pyjamas, she lay down on the bed and slept. Her last thought was a green meadow and a pink sky.

When she came to, she was back to the country side and Minho was there smiling… waiting…