Is this the start?

The Tom Next Door

PIE’S POV

 

“ I’ll have a strawberry ice cream. How about you Pie?”

“I’ll be having the same’’, I replied.

We are now sitting inside an ice cream parlor. There’s not much people here.

“Oh Pie, I have to pee. Wait for me here, okay?”, I just nod then she stood up and went to the comfort room.

I continue eating my ice cream as I observe the environment. This ice cream parlor sure has a good spot.  I can view the court here. There are few boys playing basketball while some girls are watching. Hmmm. Wait.. I remembered the hot guy that I saw when we first got here. I haven’t seen his face, though but I’m pretty sure that he’s charming because he’s good at basketball. Maybe I could divert my feelings to him instead of Kim. She’s already taken and I don’t think she’ll like me.

As my mind flies, the door swung open which brought me back to the reality. A man entered, our eyes met and he smiled widely. I know this guy,, he slowly approached me.

 

“Pie , what’s up?”, Oh I remember!

 

“Van , hello. I’m good . How about you?”

 

“Oh thank God you remembered me”, he sat in front of me. He’s smile faded when he saw that there is an ice cream in front of someone

“Are you with someone”, he raised his eyebrow

“Yeah”, I continue eating mine

“ Boyfriend?”,

“No”, I shake my head. What’s with this Guy?

“Hey Van, are you courting my Bessie?”, our attention was diverted to Fern who is now standing in beside us, with her hands on her waist and eyebrows raised.

“Oh, Fern. I was just asking Pie. By the way we’re having a game today. Would you girls want to watch”, Fern’s sour face turned into an excited one.

“ Of course”, she exclaimed.

Arrgghh. I’m not in the mood to watch such game.

“I can’t j….”, I was about to decline when Van’s phone rang

“Oh, wait Pie” he excused. I just nod. He turned the loud speaker on, and I don’t know why.

‘’Hello?”

That voice sounds familiar.

“ Hey, where the heck are you? Our game is about to start!’’, Van told the person on the other line

“ I’m no my way there. I just finish some errands”, Could this be??

“ Damn you Kim, hurry up, your sister and Pie, our new neighbor is going to watch”, My hands suddenly trembled.

Van ended the call. And looked at me. While fern continue eating her ice cream.

 

“Sorry for cutting you off. What are you going to say? Van apologize.

My laziness is now gone. I will now get the chance to witness Kim playing basketball.

“Nothing”, I casually said but deep inside, I am exploding from excitement.

 

 

We know went to the court. There’s a lot of people there now. Based from their faces, I could say that we are all just teenagers. Van guided me and Fern to the seat. As we walk through the crowd, the girls are waving and mingling with Fern. But surprisingly, Fern just gave them a flat face.

“Whoaah there, no look who’s sooooo popular”, I but she just looked at me without an expression

 

“They are just like that because they want to get the attention of P’Kim”, she pouted

 

I felt guilty about it, what if she also thinks that I just befriended her because of Kim?

 

“D..do you think that I’m like them?”, I hang my head low

 

“No, silly. I can see that you are really sincere when you accepted the friendship that I offered. Wait.. Does this confirm that you have a crush on Kim? ”, . I was caught with my own words.

 

I started to panic. I don’t know how to react anymore. Fern held shoulder and looked at me.

“Hey, it’s fine. Don’t worry, no one will know”, she said softly and then wink at me.

 

“Finally!” we both looked at Van. The crowd cheered as Kim went to the court. My excitement tripled as I see her walking towards our direction. She fist bumped with Van and her other teammates. And then looked at us and wink. I can’t help but smile with her cuteness.

 

Author’s POV

PRRRTT..

The blue team, led by Kim and teams positioned themselves as the referee whistled.  Everyone is anticipating until the referee throw the ball upward. The other team got the ball and started running the ball to basket, but just as the guy with red jersey tried to jump shot the ball. Kim blocked the shot and passed the ball to Van.

Van run the ball to their basket, two opponents blocked his way so dribble pass the ball to Kim, and with that Kim lay up the ball to the basket. The crowd cheered especially the girls. The admiration is very evident in Pie’s eyes. The game continued with Kim giving consecutive good shots. Because of the poor score that they have, the opponent ask for a timeout. And with that, Pie had the chance to secretly take pictures of Kim as she drinks water and wipes off her sweat. As she enjoyed stealing photos of her crush, Kim looked accidentally at the camera of her phone. Pie thought that Kim sense that she’s taking photos so she pretended that she’s texting someone.

 After a hardcore game , The Blue team won with the score of 105-80. Kim’s great right?

 

KIM’s POV

“ We won a total of 35,000 baht! Whooo!” My team is now rejoicing with the prize that we’ve won.

“well, the most important thing is that their boastful team learned a lesson”, Van said with a tone of victory

I just shake my head and continue fixing my shoes. We are still in the court but most of the people already left. I am now currently sitting beside Van while our teammates James and Nick were flirting with their girlfriends. Fern is also here, together with Pie. I don’t understand why but I feel like she’s not comfortable right now. Before I could ask her, Van already approached her to ask if she’s okay. I decided not to approach her too. Van can handle it anyway.

 

Beep Beep

 

I quickly answer the call and walk a little far from them.

 

‘’ Kim Jitaleela?”

“Speaking. Who’s this?”

“Good Day, this is Engineer Huang Ta of JCMI homes incorporation. Can we have a talk today? I would like to propose something”

“ Okay sir. I’ll be there at 6pm”, What could this be?

 

“Hey Kim, let’s go eat”, Van invited me. I look at him but whom my eyes met with is Pie’s. For an unknown reason, I became speechless as I stare at her. Oh shut it Kim. I shake my head and compose myself.

“Sorry but I can’t join you guys at this moment. I need to meet someone”, I apologize and then look at Pie. I could the disappointment in her eyes. Is it because I can’t join them eat? I shrug my thoughts and approach my sister, fern who’s currently texting someone.

“ Hey Fern, I can’t join you. I need to go, be home at 8pm, okay?”, I pinch her nose and went away.

 

 

 

PIE’S POV

 

“Sorry but I can’t join you guys at this moment. I need to meet someone”

It made my heart sad. I really thought she’s going with us but I am wrong. She’s really busy, always. I even barely see her in their own house every time I’m there. Fern said that she’s always like that. She’s still a student and yet, so workaholic.

I saw her talking to Fern and then went away. All I could do is let out a long sigh.

“Pie, are you alright?” Van worriedly looked at me. I just nod and smile.

Whoaah. I haven’t congratulate Kim yet with their victory..

‘I tried so hard
And got so far
But in the end
It doesn't even matter
I had to fall
To lose it all
But in the end
It doesn't even matter’

 

That’s the song I’ve heard at Kim’s room .And then I remembered the first time that I met Kim , I threw her paper to ask her to make the sound lower..

 

AHA! I GOT AN IDEA

 

 

 

n/a: An immature, innocent Pie eh?? What is her brilliant idea? Can she win Kim’s heart? We’ll see.