Pie meets Yam

The Tom Next Door

“Pie I have something to ask you. I know we’ve only known each other for a month but I would like to ask if I could cour…”

TING

Before Van could finish what he is saying our attention diverted to the door when the girls from the other started squealing.

 

 

 

“Pie”, I was then froze to my seat as Kim approach me.

 

Is this a dream?

Before I could slap myself to check if I’m getting delusional, Kim was already in front of me.

 

“K..Kim”, I don’t have the strength to talk. Even my knees seem weak.

She gave me a smile and then look at Van with a teasing smile.

“I am picking up Pie right now”, WHAT? DID I HEAR IT RIGHT?

“Great timing buddy”, Van muttered with disappointed face,

“Why? Have I interrupted something? I’ll just wait for her outside if you guys are still not done talking”, oh Kim you’re not interrupting. But you’re killing me with your cute face

“No need bro. You can go home already. I’ll just send her home by myself”, Van’s

“NO!”, I shouted. Now everyone’s attention is on me. I am really embarrassing. As I glance at Kim, she’s shock too but nearly laughing.

“Why?”, Van tried to hold my hand so I suddenly jerk from my seat.

“Uhh. My parents.. The. They might scold me if they see me with a guy”, I made a lie. He looked shock and disappointed when I retrieve my hand. I felt sorry for him. I might have offended him.

 Just when I was about to apologize to him, I suddenly felt Kim’s hand tapping my head. She sat beside me and suddenly put her arms around my shoulder then she looked at me with amusement.

“You’re such a good girl Pie. I hope my little sister would be just as obedient as you.” she pinched my cheek then stood up.

“I’ll just buy a coffee then we’ll go home, okay?”, and with that she walked to the counter.

As I follow her every move with my eyes I felt that Van is staring at me as well making me conscious. I cut my stare at Kim and then went back on sipping my frappe which is almost empty. I don’t know what’s going on with Van’s mind but from the looks of him, I can tell that he feels uneasy.

 

It became silent throughout our seat as we wait for Kim to come back. He suddenly became silent. This sounds rude of me but I felt relieved when he changed his mood. He’s too talkative.

When Kim was done taking her order, she came back to our table holding a cup of coffee and a box with chocolate mousse.

hmmmm. It looks delicious. Is that also her favorite?! Oh my we have the same taste. I squealed in my head

“Hey Van, you want me to send you home too?” she ask Van whose now smiling. Is Van bipolar?

“Nah, I also brought my car. You take care of Pie, okay? Let’s go out now”, he stood up and walk beside me. He again offered his hand to help me standing up from my seat. Since guilt is still running through me, I just accepted it and thanked him. He smiled sweetly and I just smiled back. When I glanced at Kim, she’s already on the door holding it for me. I smiled at her and went outside.

 

It’s the first time that I will be riding on Kim’s car. It feels like we are dating hihihi

 

 

 

But much to my disappointment instead of opening the passenger’s seat beside the driver’s seat, she opened the door at the back seat for me.

 

 Why? Do I smell? Do I look bad? I felt hurt but chose not to show it.

I looked away when she finally enter the car. I took the chance to glance at her when she was busy starting the engine. Then she looks at me from the front mirror. She smiled at me then started to drive.

Í think I’m blushing.

 

 

“Pie, do you happen to know a guy close to Fern?” she started asking me about Fern

“Uhm. Aside from Van, I never saw her talking to any guy. Why?”, I asked back.

“Nothing. I just don’t want my little sister getting too close to guys. She’s in her puberty. She’s not allowed to have a boyfriend until 25”, Kim casually which made my eyes almost pop out.

“WHAT? THAT”S TOO LONG”, I exclaimed. Thank goodness I don’t have a brother.

“Why? If a man really loves my sister. He must learn to wait”, she sounded like a father in his late 50’s lecturing their daughter about serious relationships.

“How old are you Kim”, I ask

“22”

“You have a girlfriend right?”

“yes”

“How old is your girlfriend?”

“23”

“See, she’s not even 25”, I don’t understand Kim’s logic. Why can’t her sister have a boyfriend while she can do what she wants? She’s still my crush though.

“Well, technically speaking I am not a man. And I know what I am doing. I mean teenage guys are so careless. I can never afford to see my little sister get hurt. I’ll bring hell to any man who tries to cause her pain.” all i can do is stare at her as she pours her concern about Fern. I think I’m going to marry Kim right now already. (If only she would like to marry me too. Sigh)

“I understand”, I assure her which put a smile on her face.

“Thank you. I just love my sister so much. She’s too young. She will always be too young in my eyes. People on her age will always be kids in my eyes no matter how old they get.”

 

 

 

Wait what? Fern and I have the same birth year. But she was born on November and I was born on August. Do I count as forever a kid in her eyes?

 

 

 

“I. I’m three months older than her”, she looked confused with what I said. Even me was amused with what came out with my mouth.

“You’re really cute”, she teasingly smiled and continued driving.

‘Cute and a kid in your eye. Yeah that’s so lame’

 

 

 

 

 _________________________________________________________________________________________________________

 

 

After that incident I seldom see Kim when I hang out at their house. Fern told me she’s very busy. It makes me really sad but at least I can steal glances at her every morning. It’s been 1 month and half since we moved here. I gained a lot of friends. Some are good but some are kinda irritating, especially boys. There are few guys who tried to court me but I turned them down. If it’s not Kim then it’s going to be no one.

But of course I never mentioned that to anyone.

We are now at my room playing scrabble. Fern went here this afternoon saying she’s bored and no one is at home so she’ll just hang out here.

 So being a good friend that I am, I refuse. I want to sleep and I am feeling lazy but she pushes me and run to my room.

“No. I’ll hang out here. You’ll play scrabble with me or else I’ll tell Kim you stole pictures of her when she played basketball.” She smirked but I just rolled my eyes.

Aish. This girl really. I regret lending her my phone to take selfies. I forgot that I still got Kim’s photo in my phone that I secretly took back when she was playing basketball

 

“Fine. Do I even have a choice?”, I sigh with defeat and slump my in the bed.

 

 

 

“Hey Pie accompany me at the mall this coming Saturday”, Fern said while still munching a cookie

 

“What are you going to buy?”, I ask while assembling the letters to the scrabble word.

 

“Oh wait did you forget? We are going to the beach next week. Have you asked the permission of your parents yet?”

 

“What? When did we talk about that? I can’t even remember”, I said defensively

 

“Do you remember the time when we were at the court? When we just finish playing volleyball? Puey discuss the annual sports competition that we always do at the beach every summer. Since you are a now officially a member of our beloved volleyball club here at the village. You are invited to”, She explained thoroughly and all I can do is nod.

Oh now I remember.

“Oh yeah. But I don’t think that my parents would let me go without adults”, my dad might not permit me

“Oh and about that. I have good news and good news for you. Which one should I say first?”

 

“It is both good news Fern. How would I choose?”, this girl is silly

She laughed hard then looked at me with a teasing look

“Some adults are going to accompany us. Kim is included.”, She winked at me then crossed her arm.

“So... Are you coming?”

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

“Dad please I’m begging. Let me join them please”, I have been bugging my father since last night to let me go to the beach

 

“Pie finish your breakfast first then we’ll talk about that again”, my Mom is now looking at me while my dad continue reading the newspaper acting like he doesn’t hear me.

I started to lose my temper and acted sour in my seat.

 “Finish your food”, my father said still not looking at me

But I still keep my attitude and pouted not even moving my food.

“Finish your food or else I won’t let you go”, my dad again said which made me shock but happy. I stood up and kiss my dad.

“Thank you dad! You are the best!” I exclaimed while still hugging him. My mom could only shrug and continue to eat her food.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

After getting my father’s approval, Fern and I went to the mall to buy the things that we are going to need for the outing. I can’t contain my happiness and excitement. We bought some clothes and lots of snacks. This is the very first time that I am going to an outing without my parents. I feel like a real adult now.

 

 

“Fern where are we going again?”, I ask Fern who is still looking at the clothe stalls as we continue walking inside the mall

“At Ko Samui beach Pie. That’s where we are going. Trust me it’s very beautiful there. the color of the sea is blue and.. Hey is that oppa Kim?” she then cut her words and pointed towards the cloth shop

As I look at the direction she been pointing, I felt like my heart sank.

 

 

 

I saw Kim with a woman clinging in her arms. They both looked happy.

Fern called her again which finally got her attention. She looked at Fern then she saw me. She smiled at me then whispered something to the woman. She giggled then looks at me too waving her hand.

‘Uggh we’re not close don’t wave at me.’

My feet felt numb as they approach us with the woman’s hand still linked in Kim’s arm.

‘If only I could cut that with a chainsaw’

 

“Hi Yam”, Fern approach the woman and gave her a hug.

I rolled my eyes when I suddenly saw Kim staring at me with a questioning face.

This she saw what I did?’

Hi. You must be Pie?” she then gave me a warm friendly smile

 

“Kim’s been talking about you”, she then took Kim’s hand

‘What? Really?’

 

“You’re new bestie looks pretty”, she then turned to Fern.

 

“Yeah but I am still prettier right?” Fern said jokingly

 

“Are you girls both done shopping already?”, Kim suddenly spoke which made me look at her

 

“Yes Oppa and you know what were really really hungry”, Fern started tapping her stomach acting like she hasn’t ate for days.

 

“Oh what a perfect timing. We’re just about to eat. Come join us”, Yam warmly invited us

“Sure thing Yam. I’m craving for some shrimps and crabs right now”, Fern accepted the offer without even asking me

You’re such a traitor Fern. You traded my feelings for food. Are you really my bestie?’, I muttered in my mind. I want to strangle Fern so bad. She’s willing to let my heart torn into pieces for the sake of food.

“I think my wallet fly later”, Kim sighed

“Of course because you’ll be paying babe”, Yam said teasingly then suddenly kiss Kim’s cheeks then hug her waist. They walked ahead of us. I can witness their lovey dovey moments and all I can do is pout.

 

Can I be blind for just a day?