Boy next seat

Encounters
Navi. Requested by anon. Prompt: Hakyeon and Wonshik are both classmates new to each other but one likes the other and asks him out after a while.

 

Hakyeon can't exactly recall since when he started to fancy every single classmate sitting next to him at the beginning of the year. Probably middle school. The only thing that he knows, is that it never fails, not a single time ; like some kind of weird curse.

 
"You just have a fickle heart, that is all.", Hongbin shrugs whenever he talks about it.
 
It may be true, because Hakyeon has had a crush on half of the year, even if it didn't last very long. Often it fades away within a few weeks, before Hakyeon flashes on someone else. Probably because he doesn't foster it much ; all that he does basically consist in looking at his crush from afar, like an enamoured young drama heroine. Unlike her, though, Hakyeon doesn't usually draw attention. 
 
Anyway he's here, standing next to the classroom door, fumbling with his hands, waiting for Hongbin to come. He's anxious because he wants to see who will be sitting next to him, and he kind of hopes it will turn out to be a cute guy.
 
"Hyung!", he hears his junior, Sanghyuk, call him from the other side of the corridor. 
 
It's weird to see him with a uniform again when they spent so much time outside in casual wear during the summer.
 
"Hongbin will be coming in a few, he asked me to tell you."
 
Hakyeon narrows his eyes. "What are you two up to?"
 
"Just hanging out before classes start.", Sanghyuk grins, a little to widely for it to be completely innocent. 
 
The older snorts, but doesn't say anything.
 
"Well, then. I'll go sit alone, since that beansprout doesn't want to show up." He pats Sanghyuk on the head -which looks funny because the younger is a few inches taller than him- before retrieving into the nearly empty classroom.
 
There's only one seat occupied, by a blonde boy with his face buried in his arms, sleeping. Hakyeon stands right before him, looking at his head intensely. Does he feel more adventurous that day than the others? Maybe. Maybe he feels like putting himself in danger for once, maybe he feels like not letting himself getting trapped by this supposedly curse, for once. He sits next to him. The boy isn't shifting one inch.
 
Eventually other people step into the classroom, sitting at their favourite spots ; Hongbin arrives just as the bell rings, face flushed and grinning like crazy. Things that Han Sanghyuk does to this kid..., Hakyeon rolls his eyes. The song of the bell wakes his neighbor up and makes him startle, lifting his head all of a sudden. He still seems sleepy, and his mouth hangs a little in a disbelieved expression, but Haykeon finds him kind of cute.
 
"Is it 8 already?", he turns to Hakyeon.
 
"Yes."
 
He rubs his eyes, pouting, and it makes the other's heart melt just a little. "It's still too early for a nap, isn't it?"
 
"It is." Hakyeon laughs.
 
"Too bad. I'm Wonshik, by the way. Nice to meet you."
 
Wonshik stick out his hand to shake Hakyeon's. The latter already knows he's cursed again.
 
"Hakyeon. Nice to meet you too."
 
 
They find each other being seated together in every class ; Hakyeon wonders if it's more of a blessing than a curse. Wonshik is quiet and good-looking, the perfect match when it comes to focusing on the teacher: whenever he needs to be concentrated, he can, whenever he's bored, he can also look at Wonshik from the corner of his eye, studying his features.
 
"So... How does it go?", Hongbin nudges him at lunch break, snickering.
 
Hakyeon feigns innocence. "How does what go?"
 
"What are you guys talking about?", a wild Sanghyuk appears besides them, sitting next to Hongbin.
 
"Hakyeon's unrequired love for his classroom neighbors."
 
"Wait, didn't you tell me you met because you were sitting next to each other in math class?"
 
Hakyeon buries his face in his hands as Hongbin chuckles. "He had a crush on me back then."
 
"That's so embarassing.", he mutters. 
 
Sanghyuk laughs, eyeing Hongbin. "That's ridiculous. Who would fall for you, hyung?"
 
"Yah, you.", he gets a flicker on the forehead. "Respect your elders."
 
"Excuse me?"
 
They turn at the same time to see Wonshik standing before them. 
 
"There isn't any space anywhere... Can I sit with you?", he asks Hakyeon.
 
"Uh- yes, yes of course."
 
In front of him, Hongbin and Sanghyuk are grinning, and Hakyeon must resist the urge to smash their heads together.
 
"Hyung, let's eat quickly and then go on the roof, I have some things to show you!", the youngest exclaims, nudging his friend by the elbow.
 
They finish their meals within five minutes, then leaving Hakyeon and Wonshik by themselves. Those brats, he curses in his head, eyes throwing dagger at the back of the couple heading towards the exit.
 
"So... Still feeling sleepy?", he tries to small-talk.
 
Wonshik smiles. "Yep. I pulled an all-nighter last night so... I won't be feeling fresh anytime soon."
 
"Why wouldn't you sleep?"
 
"I was working on my music."
 
Hakyeon raises his eyebrows, genuinely surprised. "You mean like, composing and stuff?"
 
"And stuff, yes.", Wonshik chuckles, and it's the sweetest sound he ever heard. He wants to hear it again.
 
"How does it sound?"
 
It's a silly question, but he can't seem to find better. At least it makes the other laugh lightly, once again.
 
"Good, I guess. Want to hear some?"
 
"I'd love to."
 
Wonshik beams and extends his hand to give Hakyeon his phone. "Here. Let's exchange numbers so that you'll remind me tonight to load my demos on my phone."
 
Hakyeon stares a him dumbfounded for a couple seconds, before grabbing the device. "What name shall I write? Is Cha Hakyeon fine?"
 
"Write something funny. Like your nickname or something."
 
"Well, there's that nickname Hongbin gave me last summer but it's kinda weird."
 
"Perfect. Write it. And take a picture. So that I know it's you."
 
On his phone is saved Hakyeon's face, Cha Dolbaeggi written below. He smiles wider.
 
"That's funny. Shall I eat you then?"
 
Hakyeon would like to reply "you can do whatever you want with me", but he decides that it's a little bit straightforward for a guy he encountered this morning.
 
"Uh, no thanks."
 
Wonshik laughs again, and he also decides that it's his new favourite sound.
 
They come back in class chatting, acquainting each other ; Hakyeon learn some other things about Wonshik, like his passions, taste in music, or the way he breaks into a smile every so often, how he seems to be able to fall asleep as soon as he lies down. He knows he already took a like on him, and it doesn't bother him one bit ; Wonshik is easy-going and it feels good to be around him. Hakyeon also likes the way he looks as he's listening to him, as if he was the most interesting person on earth.
 
The day ends quickly and soon he has to face Hongbin and Sanghyuk on the way home, making fun of him and planning future pranks ; he couldn't be less thrilled. However the perspective of texting Wonshik tickles his insides, making him feel excited all of a sudden.
 
"See you tomorrow!", the latter bids him goodbye before standing up right after the bell rang, yawning a little. "And don't forget to text me. I'll text you my number on the way home."
 
"Go to sleep early!", Hakyeon beams, waving him off.
 
He sees from the corner of his eyes Hongbin approaching as Wonshik disappear behind the door. 
 
"Way to go, Chasanova.", he smirks, plopping on Wonshik's chair next to him.
 
"Shut it stupid Bean."
 
"I can't believe that you already have his number, really! You're such a player. I thought I was your one and only!..."
 
Hakyeon scoffs to hide his laughter. "Let's get home."
 
They walk home with Sanghyuk, the two younger comploting behind Hakyeon's back, who is excitedly holding his phone, seeming to play although he's simply too eager to receive Wonshik's text.
 
'Hello Meatball ;)'
 
His phones vibrates just as he waves Hongbin and Sanghyuk goodbye. The two neighbors then turn around the corner of the street, leaving him with his euphoria.
 
'Hey Sleepyhead'
 
He tries to sound casual.
 
'I'm not usually like that, I swear :I'
 
'Right'
 
'You don't believe me, do you?'
 
'I don't.'
 
'Fine :('
 
'Fine :)'
 
Hakyeon locks his phone, grinning widely. It vibrates once more, and he reaches it with trembling hands, far too excited.
 
From: Has Bean
'ARE U TING HIM YET'
 
He drops his phone on the floor.
 
 
*
 
 
Days pass by and Hakyeon finds himself growing more and more fond of Wonshik. He listens to his demo during breaks, and wakes him up when he falls asleep during class ; he soon becomes his band-aid provider, because Wonshik has a propensity to cut himself on papers, and Wonshik becomes his homework reminder. They hang out often, with Hongbin and Sanghyuk, even though the latter two have a tendency to sneak out and disappear after a little while, leaving them alone. It doesn't bother Hakyeon though ; he likes to spend time alone with Wonshik. They talk about deeper things, about what they aspire to be, about life and such, and Hakyeon falls for him before knowing it.
 
"Ask him out already!", whine Hongbin and Sanghyuk whenever he talks about it ; they quickly got fed up with Hakyeon's love story that doesn't seem to progress.
 
"How am I supposed to do that?", he snorts, folding his arms.
 
"Child's game.", Hongbin waves him off. "Here, look."
 
He turns to Sanghyuk, laying his hand on the other's. "Hyukkie."
 
"Hongbinnie.", the younger follows, placing a hand on his heart, feigning emotion.
 
"Will you... Accept my sarang?"
 
Sanghyuk covers his mouth in fake surprise, eyes gleaming with fake tears. "Oh, Hongbin! I thought you would never ask!"
 
"Do you?", Hongbin takes both of his hands this time, and Hakyeon can't repress a scoff watching the weird scene playing before his eyes.
 
"Of course I do!", Sanhyuk exclaims, throwing himself in the other's embrace. That's the moment Wonshik chooses to enter the empty classroom.
 
"Uh... Am I interrupting something?", he enquires, eyeing the couple hugging besides Hakyeon.
 
The latter gets up and grabs Wonshik by the arm. "Let's get out of here."
 
They end up sitting on the roof, sun bathing them as the late summer wind caresses their skin. They stay quiet, and Hakyeon can sense something is changing between them. As for knowing if it is good or bad, he is clueless. Wonshik is lost in his thoughts, looking at the horizon dramatically. Hakyeon can practically hear the background music.
 
"Hey Wonshik.", he calls him, fumbling with his hands. "Are you good with relationships?"
 
"No.", the other chuckles. "Ask anyway."
 
"There's this friend I know."
 
Wonshik smiles. "Is that so?"
 
"Yeah. And he has that huge crush on one of his classmates. But he doesn't know if he should make a move or not." Hakyeon scoops a little closer, looking at his feets. "What should he do?"
 
Wonshik taps lightly the tip of his fingers on his bottom lips, feigning reflexion. "I think... That he should definitely make a move. Who knows, maybe his crush might like him back."
 
"Should he?"
 
"Definitely."
 
A little silence lasts, during which a smile flourishes on both of their lips. They both feel tense, but in a overwhelming way. It feels like little strings tending between them, connecting their skins by those goosebumps flourishing on their bare flesh.
 
"So...", Hakyeon lifts his gaze to look at Wonshik. "How about some ice cream after school?"
 
Wonshik beams, fingers grazing upon the other's hand. "Sounds great. I love ice cream."
 

Their hands find each other before the bell rings to part them, each wearing a smile brighter than the sun dawning on them.

 


Cheesiness strikes again, uh. I didn't fulfill completely the request, bc they asked me for fluff and a bit of angst but there's only fluff... Plus my sister pointed out that he didn't exactly asked him out so... Gotta write something else to compensate hehe.