Hospital visit

Incapacitated lovers

                                                   

 


 

It was a couple of days after the accident before I was allowed to go and see my best mate again, and I was literally eating myself alive waiting-

See, my parents didn’t want me to 'rush in' and crowd the boy as he recovered- and when I’d taken him back to his parents that day and we’d all rushed off to the hospital together I was soon lost behind all the push and pull of the medical staff and ended up having to leave due to ‘only family is allowed to be in here right now,’ friggin regulations.

It felt horrible watching him break into sobs like he had; as soon as he’d gotten into the car and we'd bumped along in traffic his features had grown deathly pale and the tears began to run freely from his eyes.

I’d never seen him cry before….

And I couldn’t help but feel guilty. I mean, I’d been the one to suggest the dirt track that day! If I’d only left it alone or if he’d decided the location instead, then maybe he wouldn’t be in the hospital right now!

But anyway, today was finally the day that my parents agreed to take me in to see him, and we made our way up to the 6th ward, down the bleached white corridor full of female voices and strange beeping sounds to room number three.

My parents decided to just wait outside for me then, and so entering on my own I took in the boys damaged wrist all bandaged up in thick white plaster- his left hand with a splint holding his index and middle finger rigidly together and a IV line hanging out of the crease of his arm.

Ahh… dude-“ I say as I walk into his room, taking in his surprised expression as a grin spreads onto his lips. “You look like .”

“Yah… thanks.” He grumbles jokingly, and motioning his head over so I could come and join him.

I take in the strange bag of fluid hanging from the IV pole, and the typical looking hospital bed sheets- all pristine and square in appearance, those typical bland creamy pink white colours covering the boys lower body and sitting up around is torso where he now sat in his own faded blue pj’s.

“I’m only kidding, you look a lot better than the last time I saw you-“ I continue with a grin, and coming over to perch carefully at the end of his bed. The graze on his face was now covered with a small white square band aid, and a pillow was propped up under his right wrist as he looked happily back at me.

“How’re you feeling?”

“Mmm, bored.” He say’s lightly, and letting out a soft chuckle, “There’s like nothing to do in here…”

Laughing I take note of the iPod strewn on his bedside cabinet and a bag of his clothes by the chair in the corner- probably what his parents had brought in for him.

“So what did the doc say? Did you have any other injuries…?” I query, as he shifts his legs softly beneath the covers before me.

“Broken left index finger- fractured left middle finger, and snapped right wrist joint.”

“Urghh…” wincing, I take in the humour now shining in his eyes. “Nice one bro.”

“Yeah… they put me under before trying to bend them back into place at least. Had some x-rays and stuff too but I think the docs still have them…”

“What about all the stones and gravel?” I ask, as I look over the slight scratches and scabs on the remaining parts of his left hand.

“Ah, it was all superficial. They cleaned it up real good.”

“At least that’s something then.” I muse with a smile, and looking pointedly down to the needle plastered into his flesh. “So what drugs you doing today? Morphine…? ~?”

The boy snorts in amusement and relaxes back into his pillows. “I wish…nah, I dunno though, something starting with an O or something. The nurses talk so fast sometimes…”

“Ohhh-“ I hum in realisation and glancing over to the shut door with a mischievous smirk. “Are any of them hot~?”

“Aish- L.joe!" he nudges at my leg with his foot as a look of shy embarrassment crosses his features.

“Whaaaat?” I tease evilly, and nudging him right on back. “Maybe I should just stay for a while and wait to see for myself~?”

“Don’t you dare!” Sitting up just a bit too fast a wince suddenly engulfs his face and he gasps in pain- that causal amused sort of tone cutting off in an instant as he pulls his arm against his chest.

“Ah, Chanhee- you have to be more careful!” I fret, and coming closer to his side as he tries to grit the pain out. “How long do you have to stay in here for anyway??”

“Just until tomorrow… “ he breathes, and squinting up at me. “They had to double check the x-rays cause it looked like there was another fracture in there somewhere-“

I frown in worry as sympathy washes through my system, looking over his features as I try to think of a way to cheer him up a bit.

“So… how're you gonna do stuff anyway? Like how do you eat right now-?” I question randomly. 

Ok, not quite what I had in mind…

Though the thought had only just come to me actually- but with both hands incapacitated I wondered how on earth the kids managed this far let alone how he’ll go at home.

I mean, he couldn’t even turn a door handle!

“Mum and dad…” he replies,with just a hint of that embarrassment in his voice once more.

It was very clear he detested the situation as much as humanly possible-

“And the nurses help with... er- other stuff…”

“How do you pee??” I blurt out, staring at his thick heavy cast in confusion as he tugs his eyes away in horror.

“How do you think I pee???” he cries, and frowning across at me. “I can’t exactly stand right now-“

I grin at his clear discomfort, his straight forwardness now making him incapable of looking at me for more than 2 seconds at a time. “No- I’m meaning like; how do you get dressed and then get your pants back down again-?”

“Aish, do we really have to talk about this??” he whines pitifully, as a light blush threatens to grace his cheeks. “Come on, I think I’ve suffered enough!”

Chuckling I messily ruff up his hair as he shirks away from me, smiling across at him as my parents enter into the room behind me.

“Hey guys, we’re just gonna go and pick up some lunch. We’ll bring you back some stuff soon, ok?”

“Sweet, thanks mum.” I call, and merely glancing over my shoulder as the door closes once more.

“Well, in all seriousness Chanhee-“ I begin and looking at him with a genuine gaze. “If you ever need help with stuff, you can ask me. Ok?” I say and catching his eyes this time as he relaxes into the head of the bed.

I knew that once the boy got home there’d probably be some stuff that he wouldn’t want his mum helping out with… even his dad for that matter- and thus as his best friend, and still feeling somewhat guilty for this whole situation, I knew this was my job to fill.

I’d be more than willing to help the guy out, especially since he’d do the same for me if our roles were switched.

A small smile tugs at the corners of his lips before carefully gracing his features before me;

“Thanks man…”