A Forgotten Promise Awakens

Oversea Dreams and Love Incidents

It’s been a year since my cousin and I have graduated from high school and moved out from our parents’ houses. We’ve been working so much lately that we barely have time to do what we love, which is dancing and singing. We hope to become professionals one day.

Flashback:

Our group walked into the dance competition building. There were thousands of people around and it was extremely noisy with everyone talking, the loud music that was bursting and the applauses. A group was performing on stage to Ke$ha’s Blow song. As we made our way to our area backstage we were getting dirty looks and people were whispering things like “Why are they here?” and “What the heck, their costumes are so ugly.” They announced that the next group was the group called the Strikers and that our group, Mystic Edge, was next. We were nervous and anxious; afraid of tripping and falling while walking on stage and during our performance. We all held hands prayed and gave a big inspirational speech. We could do this, we’ve practiced our routine for three weeks; it was our second nature. It was finally our turn. We got on our section of the stage. We were glad to be blinded by lights instead of seeing the thousands of eyes out there. We go in our positions and once BoA’s Eat You Up song started…We exploded into our routine. At the finale of the song our groups joined together on the middle stage with an amazing routine. Everyone applauded, hollered and whistled at the end. We were smiling from ear to ear and hiving each other for doing is best. We walked off stage and grabbed some water and then walked to where the other groups were standing to hear who the winners were. In second place it was the Strikers, everyone applauded them. “Now, to announce the winning group!” Everyone got dead silent. The group next to us were crossing their fingers, hoping they won. Our group was holding hands. “And the winners are Mystic Edge!” Everyone busted out in applause and hollering. We were shocked and we hugged each other. We went up on stage to get our trophy, jumping up and down. We were so grateful and Mariah and I got teary eyed knowing that was our last time in a school competition because we were seniors.

End of Flashback

 

We are sitting on the couch watching TV. I look over at Mariah.

“What?” she says.

“We need to get out of this funk,” I reply bluntly.

“Yeah, well how are we going to do that?” she says in agreement.

“I have no clue,” I respond. She nods in agreement and looks back at the TV wondering what to do to get us out of the funk. Our cell phones ring.

“Hello,” we both answer in unison. “Oh yeah, I’ll be over soon for dinner, bye mom.”

We get up from the couch, grab our jackets, purses and leave our apartment to go eat dinner at our parents’ houses.

“See you later,” Mariah tells me as she gets in her car. I nod and get in mine.

 

Mariah’s parents’ house:

Once she walks in the front door her mom gives her a big hug. “Long time, no see,” her mom says and releases her.

“Yeah, I know mom,” Mariah replies sleepily.

“You sound tired, maybe you should spend the night after eating dinner,” her mom says worriedly.

“I can’t mom. I have to open for work tomorrow,” Mariah explains with a sigh.

They then walk into the kitchen to eat.

“Have you guys danced and sung lately?” Mariah’s dad asks.

“Unfortunately, we haven’t had the time to,” Mariah sadly says.

“I thought it was your guys' dream to become professionals. What happened to going after that dream?” Mariah’s dad asks concerned.

“I don’t know…,” Mariah answers truthfully.

They continue to eat dinner and talk about other things.

 

Katie’s parents’ house:

“I’m here,” I announce as I walk through the front door.

“Hello,” my mom says and hugs me. “Dinner is ready.”

“Okay, then let’s go eat,” I reply. We walk towards the kitchen.

“So, how’s your singing and dancing going,” my dad asks.

“It’s not, we've actually been working very hard at our jobs,” I reply quietly.

“I thought you guys promised each other that you would become professionals,” my dad says.

“Yeah, we just kind of lost the sight to doing that” I say looking down.

“Don’t you dare tell me that you guys have given up on your dream and broke your promise!” my mom says rather loudly. I shrug. 

All went silent at the table. My dad ends up changing the subject and talking about his job.

After dinner was over Mariah and I were both leaving our parents’ houses. We hug our parent’s and leave.

As we drive home in our cars, we both realize why we were in a funk. We pull into our driveway at the same time.

As we are getting out, we both yell in unison “I know why were in a funk!” We both laugh and tell each other the conversations we had with our parents as we walk inside our apartment.

“But how or where are we going to dance and sing…on the streets, we don’t even have a crew.” Mariah says thinking out loud.

I was thinking too and then suddenly it came to me. “College!” I yell.

“What!?” Mariah says a bit confused.

“We should go to a college that has a degree for our dream profession,” I say while getting on my laptop to search.

“S.M. University!” I scream in joy after hours of searching.

“Where’s that at? How much does it cost?” Mariah exclaims.

“It’s in Seoul, South Korea and cost…WOAH that is a lot of money!” I reply as my eyes go wide at the cost.

She looks at the screen “Expensive!” is all she says.

“We can go there,” she says determined. I nod in agreement. “When is their enrollment day?”

“In four weeks,” I reply.

“We’re going to need to work every day, plus overtime, if our bosses will let us.”

“Definitely, especially since we need that much money for enrollment and we need plane ticket money and etc.”

We look at each other, nod and yell “Fighting!”