Chapter 9

Metal Heart

Wrapping presents wasn't as much of a mess as Jimin thought it might have been. Hoseok and Jungkook were in one room; the two of them were wrapping up the presents Hoseok had gotten for Taehyung and Seokjin. Jimin was pretty sure Hoseok had bought something for Jungkook-- he couldn't remember exactly what, but he was sure Hoseok would play it off-- would probably leave it with Jimin so the robot could tuck it under their little tree-- which they had yet to decorate. Jimin and Taehyung were in another room, wrapping all of the presents and trying their hardest to keep them in order so they didn't fall together and get mixed up. Jimin thought for sure there would be a lot of fumbling around and all four of them in the same room, trying to hide what they'd all gotten for each other; but Hoseok's plan of splitting into two little groups was a fantastic idea.

"Thank you again for buying all of this stuff for Hoseok. It was pretty stupid of me to not go out and get his stuff earlier." Taehyung said. He was speaking between little bites of food. Eating breakfast and wrapping presents wasn't a fantastic idea, but they had a lot of napkins, and there was a lot of checking fingers before they touched anything to make sure they didn't get food all over the books and the clothes. Taehyung took a sip of his water, "I'm sorry for not keeping Jungkook in bed, by the way. I tried-- but that kid is stubborn as all hell."

"I know." Jimin chuckled. He folded up one of Hoseok's jackets neatly and lined it up next to the other nicely folded jacket Jimin had pressed into one of the many cardboard boxes he and Hoseok had gotten-- just to make wrapping the presents a little bit easier. As Jimin was wrapping up the box, he thought about all of this-- the multiple presents, the cute little jewelry set for Taehyung, the way Hoseok had been talking about the boy. And, while Jimin really hadn't wanted to intrude, he was really curious, and he knew Taehyung better-- they were practically best friends, "Hey, Tae?"

"Yeah?" Taehyung asked, looking up at Jimin for half a second before looking back down, focusing on bending the wrapping paper in a way that wouldn't rip it. He hadn't cut off an inch or two extra of the wrapping paper to make sure he had a little extra room to fit the box. He'd cut off just enough; and he was struggling to make it look right, was using both hands and focusing pretty hard, biting down on his tongue, frowning.

"Um... are you and Hoseok...." Jimin didn't quite finish, figured Taehyung would know what he was asking without finishing the question that seemed so awkward to ask. Taehyung didn't hesitate at all to nod, a little hum of verification on his tongue as his frown melted away; "Yeah, we just got together last night."

"Really? Just last night?" Jimin asked, and Taehyung nodded again, the same little hum escaping his mouth. He bit down on his tongue again, his fingers fumbling. Jimin thought just last night was pretty curious, "Sorry, I didn't mean to intrude, I was just curious. Hoseok-hyung talked about you a lot. It was really cute-- the way he spoke made it sound like you guys had been dating for a little while."

"Well, we did have massive crushes on one another. I guess neither of us really realized before yesterday." Taehyung said. He reached over when he'd finally taped the wrapping paper that had been giving him so much trouble, leaned over to take another bite of his food, his lips and speaking through his food, "I mean, I kind of confessed, because I was really emotional last night. I'm not even sure why-- like, I just-- I got really damn emotional last night-- and it was so unnecessary, but I confessed because I was a mess, and I found out that Hoseok really likes messes, apparently."

Jimin laughed at that. Taehyung joined in on the laughter with his lips pressed together, likely to avoid accidentally spitting anything out. Taehyung's laughter died into a little half-smile after a few moments, and it was another couple moments after that-- probably to swallow what had been in his mouth-- before he asked, "What about you and Jungkook? Are you two together yet?"

"I... I think so." Jimin said. He reached over to grab the tape, ripping off a couple pieces and taping the wrapping paper together as he was saying, "I haven't really asked him to be my boyfriend, because I'm not sure if he actually wants to be, but we've-- we've had our first kiss and we got these cute little couple moose, so-- I guess it's pretty safe to assume we're a couple. Getting there, at least."

"God, I'm glad you're not one of those people that doubts obvious things like that." Taehyung chuckled a little bit. He took another bite of his meal, spoke through the tiny bite carefully, "I might have kicked your if you said you and Jungkook didn't have something going on-- it is so very obvious that he at least has a huge crush on you."

Jimin could bet, if he wasn't made of metal, he would have a blush on his cheeks.

/

Hoseok and Taehyung went home after breakfast and present wrapping with a promise of coming back the next day, maybe midday so they could all hang out a little bit and maybe make dinner, maybe brag a little bit about what they'd gotten. Jimin piled all the presents under the tree carefully, all hidden behind the presents Jungkook's parents had gotten for him, the ones that Taehyung had wrapped. Jungkook was in the kitchen when Jimin had gotten all the presents situated. He was digging through a cabinet, pulling out what seemed like a million different ingredients to something-- but he put half of the back when he'd stopped digging.

"What's all this, Kookie?" Jimin asked, and he hadn't meant to sneak up on the boy, but Jungkook jumped again, his hand going to one of Jimin's arms-- one wrapped around his waist. His other hand went to his heart, and he chuckled softly, rolled his eyes, "Hyung! What did I tell you about scaring me like that-- I'm in my early twenties! Early twenties-- and you're going to give me a heart attack."

"Your heart is strong, Jungkook. It beats just as well as mine." Jimin smiled. His hand traveled up to Jungkook's heart just to splay his fingers across his chest, to feel the beating of his prettiest organ. Jungkook was silent for a few moments, a few moments enough for Jimin to lean forward, to place his chin on Jungkook's shoulder and just feel for a moment, the beating of his heart and the steady of his breath. Jungkook's hand came up to Jimin's; but it fell quicker than it traveled up.

"Strong hearts are easy to tamper with, hyung." Jungkook said. He shifted, turned himself around in Jimin's arms, his own arms coming up to rest around the robot's neck. He played around with the collar of Jimin's shirt, bending it and letting go and tugging at it softly. "We're going to make cookies! We'll make cookies and save some for Seokjin-hyung for when he comes back. And I'm going to work really hard today to make him something really, really pretty."

"Don't work too hard. I don't want you to stay up too late and be really tired." Jimin said; Jungkook nodded. He turned again, grabbing everything he'd taken out of the cupboard and moved to place it on his counter, a wide space for him to bake. He looked at all of his ingredients, palms flat on the same surface, biting down on his lips. Jimin tilted his head-- "Kookie? Do you know how to make them?"

"Uh... kind of. Not really. But! I've been Seokjin-hyung make them before-- it can't be too hard, right?" Jungkook said. He crouched down and grabbed all the right things-- a baking pan and some non-stick spray. He put them both on the counter next to all of his baking things, moved to the sink to wash and dry his hands. He came back and grabbed a couple things-- a bowl and some of his first ingredients.

"Uh... you don't happen to know how to make cookie dough, do you, Jimin-hyung?" Jungkook asked, little grimace on his face as he was turning, looking at the older man. Jimin chuckled. He knew Jungkook would need help. Seokjin had mentioned a few times that Jungkook didn't cook, didn't really know how, and he was even worse at baking-- adding the wrong amount of everything and leaving whatever he was making in the oven too long. He'd gotten himself sick once by not cooking brownies long enough; which Jimin found both cute and a little dangerous.

"Of course! Jin-hyung taught me." Jimin said. He traveled through Jungkook's little kitchen and set out in helping him make cookie dough. Cinnamon cookies; he wanted to make a batch of cinnamon cookies, a batch of sugar cookies that he and Jimin could decorate with frosting, a batch of cookies with cute little candies inside of them, and then a batch of peanut butter. It was a lot of cookies, a lot of dough and flower and too much getting sticky and throwing ingredients at Jungkook mouth to see if he could catch them with his mouth-- and then there was a mess on the floor that they couldn't do anything about because they had sticky hands and would only make things worse, but it was all way too much fun with way too many giggles; and Jungkook was so pretty when he laughed.

"It's so hot in here!" Jungkook whined. He and Jimin were making the last batch of cookies. The first two batches had gone in together and were finished, were set against the counter to dry. One batch was the sugar cookies, so he and Jungkook would be able to decorate them as they were waiting for the fourth batch to cook. The other was the peanut butter, which they would wrap up and give to Seokjin; Jungkook didn't like peanut butter cookies. There was a third batch in the oven currently-- the cinnamon ones. They were making the little candy cookies, as they took the longest to make, the longest to prepare and then roll into balls-- they had to be careful when rolling them out and flattening them into little cookies.

"Maybe it's you." Jimin said, winked, and Jungkook shoved him softly, laughing. Jimin chuckled, too, "Sorry, Kookie. We'll be out of here real soon-- we can go decorate the cookies in the living room. Do you want me to open a window?"

"I'm still afraid you'll shut down or something if you get too cold. Wires tend to do that sometimes. I think. Maybe that's something else." Jungkook frowned. His eyes rolled up in thought, tapping on his chin with a sticky finger. He gave up thinking after a moment, "Who knows? But-- no open windows. No messing up your body system."

"Okay, Kookie." Jimin chuckled. He tapped the wooden spoon in his hand against the edge of the bowl, glanced at the time left on the oven. Four minutes-- that was long enough for him and Jungkook to roll up the little candy cookies and press them down. Jimin tossed the spoon into the sink and turned back to the bowl, gestured Jungkook forward, "Batter's all done! All we have to do is roll them up and then we can decorate the sugar cookies."

"Thanks for helping me bake, hyung. The cookies would have been such a disaster if you didn't do everything for me." Jungkook said, giving Jimin a big smile. That smile came closer and closer-- and then Jungkook was kissing him, a small, simple kiss to the center of Jimin's mouth that had his metal heart beating a little bit harder. Jungkook pulled away and turned immediately to the cookie batter, same smile on his lips.

"You know, Kookie, you might give me a heart attack with all these surprise kisses." Jimin chuckled, grabbing a tiny, tiny handful of the cookie batter to roll it up. Jungkook grabbed close to the same amount of batter to roll up as well, once again copying Jimin's hand movements to make the same kind of cookie.

"You have a strong heart, hyung." Jungkook said, nudging Jimin with his elbow. Jimin smirked. He and Jungkook were able to get all the cookies rolled up and pressed down by the time the oven went off-- leaving Jimin to scramble around, rinsing off and drying off his hands to grab the little oven mitts and pull the cinnamon cookies out. He placed the little candy cookies on the same oven rack and set them for thirty minutes. He tossed the mitts back in their drawer and moved over to the sugar cookies, grabbed the cooled off pan.

"Grab the frosting for me, Kookie?" Jimin asked, glancing over his shoulder. Jungkook nodded. He grabbed the frosting-- as well as some food coloring and sprinkles, followed Jimin out to the living room. Jimin placed the cookies on the table; Jungkook lay out all the stuff they needed to decorate beside them; he'd brought two knives as well, to spread the frosting onto the cookies; Jimin had forgotten about that.

"They're just like me!" Jungkook said as he and Jimin sat down, as he grabbed a cookie to decorate. This one was in the shape of a snowflake, a really pretty snowflake that might be a little bit difficult to spread frosting on when it came to the thinner parts. Jimin raised an eyebrow at Jungkook's words. Jungkook beamed, "Remember, hyung? You called me a sugar cookie-- because you said I was sweet! Or something like that."

"Oh, yeah." Jimin said, smiled, "You are just like a sugar cookie. Cute and sweet-- and really pretty."

Jungkook blushed; it was the cutest color of pink Jimin had ever seen. He picked up his own cookie to decorate when Jungkook picked up one of the knives he'd brought into the kitchen and began to spread some frosting over his cookie. Jimin's cookie was in the shape of a snowman; he thought he could have some fun with that one with the dozen little bottles of food coloring Jungkook had brought in from the kitchen.

Halfway through the cookie decorating and creeping up on only five minutes before the candy cookies were done, Jungkook's phone rang. Jungkook was quick to stand, to grab a napkin and wipe off his fingers. He walked over to the phone as he was cleaning off his fingers, picked it up and answered with a very cheerful, "Hello?"

A few moments of silence; Jungkook was still smiling. "Jin-hyung! Hi! Are you having fun out of town?"

More silence as Jungkook listened to Seokjin talk. Jimin tried not to listen in on the conversation-- couldn't hear one side of it anyway, and he occupied himself with decorating him stocking-- red frosting on most of it, white frosting along the top, white stripes of frosting across the curve of the stalking. He used a toothpick to carve Kookie into the white frosting on top, to fill in the little creases with red-- if only he had black food coloring.

"He's doing really well! Do you want to talk to him?" Jungkook came closer to Jimin, sat down next to him again. A few moments of silence later, and then Jungkook was handing him the phone. Jimin took it with a frown, pressed it to his ear as he put his toothpick down, "Hello?"

"Jimin! Hi-- we haven't spoken in a little while. Are you alright?" Seokjin's voice flooded into Jimin's ears. Jimin didn't think he'd hear from Seokjin again before the day after Christmas-- the day after tomorrow. He thought their next greeting would have been when Seokjin came over to Jungkook's house and Jungkook gave him the little basket of stuff he planned on creating for the older man-- with cookies and a card and a pretty watch he'd bought him, as well as the book Jimin had gotten for him, probably tucked into the back with the bookmarks Jungkook planned to make.

"Yeah, I'm alright. Jungkook and I are decorating some cookies right now." Jimin said. He picked up his toothpick again and began to fill in the last letter of Jungkook's name with red frosting, careful not to poke to deep or mess up the white frosting around it. Jungkook glanced over at Jimin; Jimin could see the look from the corner of his eye. Jungkook's smile was so pretty; he was so pretty.

"How are the two of you? Well?" Seokjin asked; Jimin knew he wanted to know if they were together yet. Jimin glanced over at Jungkook with a little smile on his lips, "Yeah. We're doing really well."

"That's good to hear." Seokjin said. There was something a little off in his voice, the random emotion bleeding into his next words, "I can't wait to see you guys! It's felt like too long since I've last visited."

"Yeah, Jungkook and I miss you too." Jimin said. He put down his toothpick when he was finished filling in the last of Jungkook's name-- his nickname, at least. He picked up the cookie and handed it to Jungkook, held it in front of his mouth and said, "Here-- eat, you haven't eaten since breakfast."

"That was only two hours ago, hyung." Jungkook said, but he took the cookie anyway, smiled at the way it had been designed before he took a bite. Jimin watched him bite the cookie as Seokjin was talking to him, "I hope you guys didn't miss me too much. I hope you guys have a really fun Christmas-- did Jungkook put off decorating the tree until last minute again?"

"Yeah. But the two of us are going to decorate it together-- it's going to look really pretty when you see it." Jimin said. Jungkook had half a million Christmas decorations, he'd said, sitting around, waiting to be used. He didn't use most of them, always too lazy to put them all on himself, but Jimin would help him out this year; and they'd have a really pretty Christmas tree with too many ornaments bundled up in one place, Jimin could bet, but it would still be pretty and the two of them would still look at it and smile and be proud of themselves for decorating at all.

"Well, I can't wait to see it." Seokjin said, smile in his tone. A voice in the background called Seokjin's name; and Jimin could imagine Seokjin turned his head away to call something back. His voice was clear again when he spoke next, "I have to go. You two have fun, okay? Hang up some mistletoe so Jungkook kisses you!"

"Bye, hyung! I love you!" Jungkook called, must have heard Seokjin's goodbye, and he turned the phone his way to make a little kissy sound into the receiver. Seokjin was laughing when Jimin gave his goodbye, "Bye, hyung! I'll see you soon!"

"Bye, you two." Seokjin said, and then he hung up. Jimin handed the phone to Jungkook, who just put it on the table about a foot away from where they were decorating their last cookies. The oven beeped in the other room; Jimin got up to receive them.

"Hyung, do you think frosting would taste good on cinnamon cookies?" Jungkook called, his voice sounding closer and closer through his sentence; he was walking into the kitchen. He had a cookie shaped like a heart in his hand, frosted with pink frosting (that was supposed to be red but didn't turn out as well), half of it eaten; he was still chewing on the bite of it he'd taken. Jimin shrugged.

"Maybe? I've never had cinnamon and frosting. I can't eat." Jimin said.

"Oh, I forgot. Sorry, hyung." Jungkook said. Jimin placed the rack of cookies on the counter, tossing the mittens in the drawer again. Jungkook tilted his head to the side, "Can you burn yourself, hyung? Can you feel pain?"

"Actually-- I don't think so." Jimin said, frowned. He thought experimenting was probably really stupid, but he reached out and touched the little cookie pan anyway. Jungkook hissed, grimaced for him; Jimin felt nothing. He pulled his fingers back; his skin looked fine. "Huh, I guess not. I think-- and Seokjin mentioned this-- that my skin can melt or something like that if I'm near to like a really, really hot fire. Like-- those blue fires, or those white ones, but I'm fine otherwise."

"That's good." Jungkook said. He pushed the rest of his cookie into his mouth, pointing at the peanut butter ones. "I'm going to start wrapping those ones now-- maybe they'll keep warm if I wrap them when they're still pretty warm."

"I'll decorate the rest of the cookies." Jimin said. Jungkook didn't let him back into the living room without kissing him first however, the front of his shirt with one hand as he tugged him in. Jimin gave a little smile; and he seriously thought he would blush the same way Jungkook was if he wasn't a robot.