Chapter 2

Metal Heart

Jungkook tried to pay attention. He really did, but his phone was in his pocket, weighing him down, and the temptation to call Seokjin and ask him about Jimin was taking over his mind. He had so many questions- most of them regarding Jimin's brain activity and thought process. He also kind of wanted to know how Jimin knew so damn much about his house, but he could safely assume Seokjin had programmed him with a layout or something like that.

Jungkook jolted when the bell rang, giving a signal that first classes were over. Everyone began to file out of class, and Jungkook stood quickly, scrambling to his feet to follow everyone out. He was halfway to the door, last student in the room, but he heard his name- his professor was calling him over. Jungkook let out a breath with a curse under his tongue. He hated sitting in the front of a classroom, because it was always so obvious when he wasn't paying attention. Especially in this class.

"You weren't paying attention, Jungkook. Is something wrong?" Kim Namjoon was the name of the professor in front of him. He was somewhere between Jungkook's and Seokjin's age- 24 or 25 is Jungkook had to guess. He was a friend of Seokjin's, always keeping a special eye out for Jungkook. Jungkook could imagine Seokjin had asked him to- the older man was always so worried about him. Jungkook gave a shrug, to which Namjoon frowned. "Seokjin mentioned you might seem out of it today... Has to do with the robot he made you, right?"

"God, did he tell the world?" Jungkook asked, almost shouted, and then he sighed, recoiled. "Sorry, teacher. I'm just... tense. Worried, I guess."

"Seemingly annoyed." Namjoon chuckled. He stood, peeked towards he door- likely to make sure no one was there. He looked back at Jungkook with a small smile. "He only told me to make sure I wouldn't take your phone away if you were messaging him."

"I was tempted, but...." Jungkook trailed off with a shrug. Namjoon smiled, pat Jungkook's shoulder gently.

"You're a good kid. But- if you want to call him, you can. He's actually expecting a call." Namjoon said, and Jungkook gave a grateful smile. He pulled out his phone, ready to dial Seokjin's number, but his fingers steered off right before he hit the buttons, dialing a different, somehow less familiar number.

He wondered if Jimin would know how to answer the phone.

Jungkook tried to avoid eye contact with Namjoon as he was waiting. It rung once... twice... thr- the phone beeped, a signal that someone had picked up. Jimin's voice, sweet as honey, flowed through the line. "Jeon Jungkook's house. He's not currently at home, can I take a message?"

"Jimin?" Jungkook asked, and he found himself feeling almost amused at the way Jimin sounded so sweet, so fluent, like an office worker taking calls for her boss. God, he almost sounded obedient, the way he was speaking. Jimin made a happy little sound, then, breaking away from the sweet tone of voice he'd been using.

"Kookie!" Jimin said, all excited- kind of like how Jungkook would imagine a puppy sounding if one could speak or answer the phone. Jimin continued to sound excited, "Aren't you at school, Kookie? Oh! Are you coming home soon?"

"No, I'm... I'm still at school. I was just- I wanted to call and... check on you." Jungkook said, kind of trailing off at the end. He remembered what Jimin had told him, time and time again; "I would love it if you fell in love with me." Jungkook really didn't want to give off the wrong signal- but, at the same time, he had a feeling he liked Jimin. He couldn't quite tell serious feelings apart from normal ones, because he'd never had a boyfriend and he kind of felt for Jimin the way he felt for Seokjin. It must have been the fact that they were so similar.

"Oh! Okay! That's so sweet of you Kookie! ....Is that why Seokjin calls you Kookie? Because you're just so sweet?" Jimin asked, and Jungkook chuckled, Jimin's voice filling him with amusement. Jimin gave a soft laugh too, something that had Jungkook's heart doing a little flip- the same flip he'd had to explain to Jimin earlier.

"I think he just calls me that because it goes well with my name.... Or maybe just because it's cute. But I can be your cookie if you want, Jimin." Jungkook said, mouth going dry as soon as the words were out. Jimin was silent on the other line for a second- the longest second of Jungkook's life, and then Jimin was letting out a little laugh.

"Good! You should be a... sugar cookie. Because sugar cookies are delicious!" Jimin said. Jungkook wondered if Jimin was going to make a joke about eating Jungkook up, but he didn't. (And thank God, too; Jungkook didn't need his heart doing any more four-year-old flips.)

"So, Kookie, are you going to come home soon? I miss you lots!" Jimin said. Jungkook gave a smile, gaze lifting just for something to look at other than his fingers. Namjoon was looking at him with an eyebrow raised. Jungkook remembered he should be calling Seokjin instead of Jimin, and Namjoon must be confused as to why Jungkook was talking to his apparent boyfriend-to-be rather than his favorite hyung.

"I miss you too, Jimin." Jungkook let himself admit, and Jimin let out a noise that sounded very close to a squeal. Jungkook bit the inside of his cheek, trying to contain a smile that Namjoon would surely find as pure adoration. "I"ll be home soon, okay? Just... I have two more classes. That's about- three more hours."

"I'll make you something to eat for when you get home!" Jimin said, and Jungkook was about to protest, to say he ate lunch at school, but then Jimin blew him a kiss through the phone. "I love you, Kookie! And I hope you love me too one day! I'll see you soon- have fun at school!"

Jimin hung up after the words were said, leaving Jungkook a little bit speechless. But then the bell was ringing, telling everyone they should be in their next class. Namjoon was quick to write Jungkook a pass, press it into his palm and wave him off. Jungkook gave a grateful smile, "Thank you, teacher! I'll see you tomorrow!"

/

At lunch, Jungkook plopped down at his usual table- where Hoseok was sitting, phone in hand, typing something to someone. Taehyung was nowhere to be seen, but he was likely getting lunch. Hoseok didn't like to eat school lunch, was never really up to eating during the day. That, and he was on an extremely unhealthy diet for some reason- a reason that Jungkook had yet to ask. He was quite afraid to confront it.

"Jungkook! You're not eating today?" Hoseok asked, eyebrow raised. Jungkook ate every day, always stood in line with Taehyung as they got something to eat that they would enjoy. It was different every single day, and they usually got different things so they could feed each other, could share their food.

"No. Jimin told me he was going to make me something to eat for when I got home- and I'll be home in like an hour anyway." Jungkook said. He thought it was dumb to end the day with lunch, but it was only one in the afternoon. It was relaxing to end the day with lunch, for sure, especially since he could skip the hour and work on his projects and homework in the library.

"Jimin?" Hoseok asked, and it occurred to Jungkook, then, that Seokjin didn't really talk to Hoseok. They were getting close, because Seokjin was friends with Taehyung, was always trying to become friends with the people his own friends were close with. They just hadn't gotten very far in their growing relationship yet.

"Uh. You know Seokjin, right?" Jungkook asked, and Hoseok nodded, interested look in his eyes. Jungkook bit his lip before continuing. "Well... you know he's a scientist, right? Has he brought that up? Yeah- I guess he'd been pretty worried about me, lately. I've started thinking, actually, that he's been insecure about not finding someone quite yet- maybe he doesn't want the same thing to happen to me."

"Yeah!" Hoseok said, fingers snapping against each other as he lifted a finger to point at Jungkook. "Sorry to interrupt, but- he did mention that, a little while ago. He said he was working on something for you. He didn't tell me what, but he said it was to keep you from being lonely. He said it would help you fall in love. I don't know why he didn't just introduce you to someone, but...."

"Yeah." Jungkook muttered, bit the inside of his cheek. He thought he should ask Seokjin about that. He would feel better getting a confirmation from the man himself- for he could tell, that way, if Seokjin was lying or not. "Well, he made me a robot. His name is Jimin."

Jungkook frowned. "I'm not actually sure why he made me a boy robot. I mean- I don't mind dating a man- I'll go either way, but I thought, if anything, he'd make me a girl. I don't know- maybe a boy was easier to make. I think I'll ask him about it later."

"He made you a robot? And you're not, like- offended?" Hoseok asked, eyebrow raised. Jungkook shook his head- should he be offended? What was there to be offended about? Hoseok explained, "Well, it's really sweet, but... why? Like, he's mentioned before that you kind of didn't want to ever end up with anyone. Don't you think it's kind of rude to push? He's, like, meddling in your life- your love life, at that."

"Well, no, I don't really care. He's allowed to meddle- he's like my older brother. He's always meddling in my life." Jungkook chuckled, leaned against the table. "He's always taken care of me. I am kind of confused, but- I'm going to go see him today, when lunch is over. Maybe he'll tell me something interesting."

Hoseok hummed. He went to say something else- shoulders relaxed, casual, likely to change the subject, but Taehyung's tray fell against the table, and he sat a moment later, picking up his chopsticks to point then at Jungkook. "You! Why aren't you eating today? Don't tell me you're on another one of those stupid diets-"

"That was in high school, hyung. My self-acceptance has come a long way. In fact, I think I'm very good-looking." Jungkook said just to joke around, giving a cocky pose and smirking. Taehyung chuckled, shook his head. Jungkook returned to his initial pose. "Jimin said he would cook something for me when I got home from school, so I'll be eating in like- less than an hour."

"I think you were seeing Seokjin after school?" Hoseok asked, frowned. He seemed to be quite concerned with Jungkook eating, too, and Jungkook wondered why everyone was so concerned with him today.

"I was thinking about calling him over, actually. He loves visiting. Plus, I think he'd like to see Jimin again." Jungkook smiled. He shifted, tucked his legs underneath him and leaned his elbows against the table, chin resting against his hands. He watched, subtly, as Hoseok's arm raised and dropped over Taehyung's shoulder. He tried to keep his smirk to himself, but it was kind of difficult when he'd been hoping they'd get together for at least three years now.

"Seokjin will probably cook for you, too, honestly. You'll be stuffed- poor Kookie." Taehyung said, and then he was holding out something for Jungkook to eat- which made no sense with what he'd just said, but Jungkook ate anyway, knew he wasn't going to get out of eating. Taehyung gave a content smile; Jungkook rolled his eyes.

"I think it'll be nice- for someone to cook for Seokjin for once." Jungkook said, looked down at his fingers as he was chewing- most of his food tucked into his cheek so he could speak through it without looking too sloppy. "He can finally come over to my house and have a meal that he doesn't have to cook."

At the words, Jungkook found himself feeling a little upset- because Seokjin had no one to take care of him. He was always treating others, always spending for others. God, he'd gotten so much for Jungkook for Christmas, and all Jungkook had done was find a little bag to fill with cute chocolates and a stuffed penguin that only cost a few bills. Jungkook's shoulders fell with a sigh. He wondered if this was how Seokjin felt when he'd been making a robot for Jungkook.

Jungkook wished he could return the favor- but he was a simple student in college with barely a minor in science and only brief knowledge on the aspects of the human body.

"I think I'm going to take off, guys." Jungkook said, suddenly feeling a serious burned in his chest. He stood up. He meant to spend the lunch period with Hoseok and Taehyung, because he really loved talking to them and he would like to get closer to Hoseok, but he thought he should really get home, should really go see Jimin and call Seokjin and ask them both questions.

"Wait! Kookie, what's wrong? You look upset." Taehyung said. He'd reached over the table to softly latch onto Jungkook's wrist. Jungkook took in a breath that, when he let it out, had his shoulders dropping a little more, almost further disappointed.

"I just really need to go see Seokjin. I'm really curious about something." Jungkook said. He leaned over and gave Taehyung a kiss- a simple kiss on he forehead because, in years of friendship, they'd built up to forehead or cheek kisses when they were parting. Jungkook waved at Hoseok, wasn't quite close enough to him to give him kisses, and then he went along his way, hoping Taehyung wasn't too disappointed that they hadn't spoken much that day.

/

"Jimin? I came home!" Jungkook called as soon as he was in the house. He closed the door behind him, didn't bother to lock it, as he was planning on calling Seokjin over anyway. (Seokjin knew where his spare key was, but there wasn't too much of a point in having him use it when he could just keep the door unlocked.)

"Jimin?" Jungkook called, peeked into the kitchen. Jimin wasn't there. He frowned, sunk back into the living room. He wondered if Jimin was in the bathroom. Did Jimin have to go to the bathroom? All he had was gasoline.... But people didn't pee blood, so.

"Jimin? Where are you?" Jungkook asked. He walked by the pretty little plant Seokjin had bought him- and, , there was another thing he did for Jungkook. He bought him all these pretty things for his apartment to help decorate, didn't even ask Jungkook to help him set things up. God, he didn't let Jungkook help set things up. Jungkook's heart was seriously aching, but it began to race when Jimin popped up- likely hidden behind that ing plant, wrapped his arms around Jungkook's waist, kissed the back of his neck.

"! Jimin- oh my God!" Jungkook said, spun around in Jimin's arms quickly. Jimin was smiling at him, a cute little smile that had his eyes curving into little quarter moons on his face. Jungkook observed Jimin for a few seconds, noticed he was really, really real-looking, and he wondered how Seokjin had done it, wondered how Seokjin, also, had made him so sweet.

He wanted to ask- but he would call in a moment.

"Sorry, Kookie! I just wanted to surprise you- you look so cute when you're shocked." Jimin said, moved his hands from Jungkook's waist to touch at his hair softly, running his fingers through it, fingers temporarily tapping against his cheeks. "I also really wanted to hug you. I love having you in my arms."

Jungkook wished he knew how to react to these comments. His first reaction was to tuck his head into Jimin's neck, because that was how Jungkook hugged people- had hugged Seokjin that way through his childhood and got way too used to it. Another one of those happy little sounds escaped Jimin's throat, and he wrapped his arms around Jungkook at the same time Jungkook brought his arms up to hold onto Jimin's waist.

"Kookie, your hair is so soft. Seokjin told me you were so soft- I didn't think he meant it very seriously." Jimin said, nuzzled his nose into Jungkook's hair. Jungkook let him for a few moments, but then he pulled back.

"Speaking of Seokjin... did he tell you why he made you? Other than to be my boyfriend- did he tell you why he wanted you to be my boyfriend?" Jungkook asked. He had so many more questions, but he thought Jimin might be able to answer that one. Seokjin seemed to have talked to him a hell of a lot as he was being made.

"No. He just told me you needed someone, so he made me to be in love with you!" Jimin said, hands coming to Jungkook's shoulders. "Why, Kookie? You look sad. Did Seokjin make you sad? Did I scare you too much?"

"No, Jimin, I'm okay." Jungkook chuckled. He reached into his pocket, fishing his phone out of his jeans. He unlocked it and began to dial Seokjin's number, giving Jimin an explanation as he did so. "I'm going to call Seokjin. I'll ask him if he can come over so we can talk.... I just want to ask him some things about you."

"Okay! I'll go cook something- you must be hungry, Kookie." Jimin said. He left a kiss planted on Jungkook's forehead, a nice filler for the kiss he hadn't gotten from Taehyung that day, and he left the room, pulling pots and pans out of the drawers in Jungkook's kitchen. Jungkook plugged one hear so he could hear Seokjin when he answered, walked further into the house, away from the kitchen.

"Hello?" came Seokjin's voice. Jungkook missed his voice- already. He'd heard from Seokjin just yesterday, but Jungkook wasn't too used to going any period of time without hearing Seokjin's voice. He was a little too dependant, he thought, but Seokjin spoiled him too much as well- he was just used to it.

"Jin-hyung." Jungkook said.

"Jungkook! I've been waiting to hear from you all day- how are you doing? Jimin? He's not acting up, is he?" Seokjin asked, a string of excitement and questions that Jungkook always loved to hear. It was cute, he thought, how Seokjin always had something to be worried about- but it was also a little sad, he thought, that Seokjin always thought he could fix Jungkook's problems.

"I'm sorry. Namjoon-hyung told me I could call you, but I really wanted to call in and check on Jimin." Jungkook said, tapped his fingers against his arm. "Jimin's doing fine. He's cooking something for me right now... and for you.... Will you come over, hyung? I want to ask you some stuff."

"Sure! I'll be over in a little while." Seokjin said. He blew Jungkook a little kiss through the phone before he hung up. Jungkook tucked his phone into his back pocket and moved to the kitchen, sat in the same place he had this morning. Jimin was cooking away, throwing things into the pot that Jungkook honestly didn't know he had.

And he hadn't- "I went grocery shopping this morning, right after you left for school! Jin came over to give me a bag, and he had lots of money in there so I could take care of you. We should go shopping, by the way, so we can go and get you some clothes."

Jungkook reminded himself to ask Seokjin how Jimin could hear him so well- if his hearing was better than the average human's. Jimin turned around. "Seokjin brought me clothes, and he made this little box in the guest room. It looks like a nightstand, but I can fold up all my clothes and put them in the drawers."

"He made a nightstand?" Jungkook asked. His shoulders fell, eyes casting down. Why? Why did Seokjin do so much- and why couldn't Jungkook do anything for him? Seokjin must have felt something like this when he was making Jimin for Jungkook- the feeling was eating Jungkook alive. But, God, why would Seokjin feel like this? He knew- because Seokjin wasn't around as much anymore, but he still did so much. Was Jungkook not clear enough when he said thank you? Did he not appreciate Seokjin enough? No. He probably didn't. Not outwardly.

"Kookie, you look sad again. What's wrong?" Jimin asked, suddenly in front of Jungkook, head tilted down so he could look at Jungkook's face. Jungkook simply shrugged, but lots of people seemed to hate that. Jimin was a little more patient than people- "Kookie, come on. Tell me what's wrong- I'm sure I can help."

"I don't do enough for Seokjin." Jungkook said, looked up at Jimin with a little pout. "He does so much for me. He made you for me and he bought me so many things and he's taken care of me since we were little. He's the best hyung- and I don't do anything. I don't even appreciate him enough."

Jimin was silent for a few moments. Jungkook didn't think Jimin would come up with anything to say, but, , Jimin was good with words- was quick with words. "Jin did tell me that he loves you, and that's why he's done all of this for you. He said you're his little brother, and that he's in love with the way you look up to him. So, just keep looking up to your hyung. That's enough for him."