Bag

Thank You For Being Born [23]

"So you're a Chemistry major? When's your classes?" Jaehwan asked, quite intrigued with Taekwoon's life. 

"I really need to go home now, Jaehwan. But thank you for your time."

Taekwoon had a sincere and apologetic expression before he scurried to leave the school. Jaehwan had his chance to get to know the other male. Taekwoon was a scholar of the university and a little bit below average people. His parents salary weren't enough to make him study in the university, but it was the best school in the country, so he was raising himself with the help of his family. Jaehwan had learned that much. 

It was a once-in-a-million chance to get to talk to the quiet assistant. He couldn't even believe he had the guts to talk to his crush. While talking, his heart rate began to zoom up the charts. His heart almost escaped his rib cage. Butterflies fluttered in every angle of his stomach. It was really a breathtaking moment. 

They had been sitting on the bench just in front of the library for thirty minutes until Taekwoon had to go. Jaehwan couldn't even bother telling the older to stay. They weren't even in the stage of "Acquaintances". Just somebody that Taekwoon knew, or Jaehwan knew. The sad life of Lee Jaehwan. 

He sighed heavily then stood from his seat. As he stood, he felt a strap pull him down. Receiving recoil fr4om the strap, Jaehwan looked down what stopped him from standing straight. He saw a bag, with the one strap tied to his wrist and the other stuck at the edge of the bench. A bag?

"," cursing inwardly, he realized, "Taekwoon-hyung's bag!"

He untied the strap from his wrist and pulled it out of the bench. He put one strap on his shoulder and ran towards the direction Taekwoon went. And for a moment, he forgot that he didn't know where Taekwoon lived. 

 

After thirty minutes of asking professors and the registrar about his address and tons of walking and running, he reached the bus stop. He looked at the schedule. There was only one bus left on that line, and it was still fifteen minutes away from its arrival. Hugging the bag close, he sat at the end of the bench. The fluorescent light illuminated the bus stop as he waited for the last bus. 

It was around 7:30PM and he wasted five minutes staring at the bag he was hugging. The bag of his crush. A mere bag that sent him to Dream Land. He snuggled up to the bag. He nuzzled his head to the fabric. He sniffed out the scent. As creepy as it may seemed, but he couldn't help it. It was another opportunity worth not wasting. It was the answer of the heavens from all of his prayers. 

That was the reason why he would go to the library everyday. He would go to the most not-so-obvious section of the library where he could stare at Taekwoon for an hour─the Mythology section. He could stare at him the whole hour. He had a small notebook with him and he would pretend to read. But in reality, he was looking at how Taekwoon expressed himself, his face, his physique. A few of his charcoal pencil and voila, a masterpiece within an hour. A drawing, per page, each day. 

Actually, he was already in his second notebook. 

He sighed heavily at the thought. He was holding on to that quote where everyone would wait until the right time. He prayed day and night, waiting for the perfect opportunity or at least an opening so he could introduce himself properly. He might be introduced by other people as someone very proud of himself and boastful when in reality he was not. He knew himself. He was popular as a singer, maybe, but he did not ask for that fame. He asked for Taekwoon and the chance to be close to him, or something far more that that, that was it. 

With all those thoughts pent up, the light of the last bus ride kicked him out of his train of thought. He smiled brightly and went inside the bus. He paid for the ride and sat at the middle seat by the window. Once again, he hugged the bag closely to his body, as if it was the most precious thing in the world. It was until he felt something inside vibrate. 

He looked through the contents of the bag and found a phone. Someone was calling the phone. The caller was named "Home". He hesistated for a moment but in the end he answered the call anyway. 

"Hello?" Jaehwan wearily greeted. 

"Hello? Yes I am Jung Taekwoon, the owner of this phone." 

"Ah nae, Taekwoon-hyung? This is Jaehwan. You left your bag at the bench a while ago." 

"Jaehwan?" There was a silent pause. An agonizingly long one-second pause. "Ahh Lee Jaehwan! Thank the heavens you got my bag." 

Jaehwan smiled. He never knew the other could be capable of exclaiming with such joy. 

"Where are you right now? Let's meet up. I'll get my bag," Taekwoon spoke. 

The butterflies fluttered once again. He felt like the world was going his way for once in his lifetime. It was pushing him to the limit where he just needed to confirm it. A blissful moment had arisen upon him. 

"I'm actually at the last bus going to your neighborhood," Jaehwan answered. 

"Good. At the bus stop, there's a cafe nearby, just a few paces from it. I'll meet you there." 

"Alright then." 

"Thank you Jaehwan, once again." 

"No problem, hyung." 

The other end hung up without a goodbye, but the phone call itself was a miracle from above. He stomped his feet lightly but almost wildly. He couldn't help himself. He had an actual phone call from his crush. From the tons of prayers he sent out, tons of opportunities answered him. It was really worth the wait. 

And it was all thanks to that bag.