Phone

Thank You For Being Born [23]

Sunlight seeped through Jaehwan window as a new day was beginning to dawn over the city. He groaned in slight discontent. Covering himself so that he would stay asleep, he reached out for his blankets and put it on top of his head. But the sudden burst of light and functioning of his brain made it even more difficult to go back to sleep. He sighed softly and peeked out with one eye to find his alarm clock. 

7:41AM. 

It was still nineteen minutes before he would prepare for his class at 10:00AM. With that messy hazelnut hair, he rose from his lying position and sat. He wore blue pajamas with a certain unique design on its shirt. It had a small lion with a red heart as its mane. It had the text "The lion is mine". He looked at his shirt and plastered a proud smile on his face. A proud yet sad smile. 

He sighed lightly once again, and looked around the room. It was silver white. It had one big fluffy bed, a study table beside the bed, a small lamp above it, and a big cabinet at the corner for his clothes. He stared at every object at his room. Everything seemed to remind him of his boyfriend. Sigh. His boyfriend. 

It would be perfect if he had his boyfriend beside him. He looked at the clock again. 

7:45AM 

It's already time? Jaehwan thought. 

He reached to grab his phone from the drawer and dialed a foreign number. The country code was different with his own number. It would leave a great toll with his load, but what the heck. It was his boyfriend that was being talked about. He hummed in tune of the ringback tone. 

Michin sarami saenggyeosseo, Jaehwan sang. 

But it was clearly cut off when the other answered with a raspy "Hello". 

 

Incandescent yellow lighted up the streets as Taekwoon walked home from his job as a doctor. Enjoying the soft caress of the night breeze, he walked slowly and leisurely. The slight chill of the soft wind calmed his nerves. It was yet another very tiring day for him. The number of patients he swerved was double or even triple than that of the day before. He then checked his watch for the time. 

7:30PM

He was close to the condominium he was staying in. He had five minutes to walk home and ten minutes to change and freshen up. That wasn't really that difficult. He started to trudge forward. He had fifteen minutes to do all that, before he could answer the incoming call.

It was a bit cheesy and cliche but it was the call that would wash away all of his problems and worries. It was the call he had been waiting the whole day. The caller always called at 6:00 in the morning and 7:45 in the evening. Taekwoon would do anything to get home before those times. He wanted to feel the soft mattress against his skin when he would answer, or maybe to smell the sweet aroma of beef while talking to the caller. Excitement filled him to the brim, and adrenaline let him continued on to the unit he was staying in. 

When he got home, it was already 7:40PM. Unfortunately, he wasn't able to follow his supposed time plan. No time to waste, he thought. He quickly stripped off his clothing, only leaving his undergarments. He slipped on a red sweatshirt and baggy pants. He went to the bathroom to wash his face, and brushed his teeth, just for the fresh feeling. Once he was finished, he scurried to the bed and removed his phone from his bag. He stared at the flashing clock of the phone. 

7:45PM

Any moment now-- 

At the same time he thought of the words, he heard his ringtone. He smiled shortly and pressed the "answer" button. 

"Hello?" Taekwoon greeted in a soft-of raspy voice. 

"Good evening, hyung!" the other greeted in a cheery voice. 

"Good morning to you, Jaehwan," Taekwoon replied with a soft chuckle. 

"How was your day, hyung?" 

"Same old. There were so many patients today, though." 

"Ah really? I should have sent Chopper on the way! He is a great doctor!" 

"It's alright. I survived, right? I'm talking to you right now." 

"But still! To lessen your load of work."

"No buts, Lee Jaehwan." 

"Taekwoonie, I'll be making my breakfast. It's around 8:00AM here. Can you help me?" 

"Of course, Kennie. Put it on video." 

Taekwoon could actually feel the grin of his boyfriend through the phone. He saw a small popup of the request to make a video call. He pressed "accept" and raised the phone, searching for a better angle for his face. He stopped when he noticed the angle was just fine. He stared at the phone until a familiar figure showed in the screen. He saw his boyfriend arranging his messy hazelnut hair. Taekwoon smiled softly. 

"I really miss you, Jaehwan," Taekwoon blurted. 

"I miss you too, hyungie." 

"Wait for me there, alright? I'll be coming over real soon." 

"I am always waiting for your arrival!" Jaehwan exclaimed with a tinge of eternal hope. 

Taekwoon just chuckled at the sudden outburst.Seeinghow cute and cuddly his boyfriend could have been, his heart melted. He wanted to be with his boyfriend so badly. At the other side of the call, Jaehwan was already walking to his kitchen. Once there, he went to the fridge and opened it, showing the contents to Taekwoon. 

"What do you think is a good meal today? Eggs? Bacon? Hash browns?" Jaehwan asked as he picked from the choices.

"Bacon and eggs would be good today. You have a big day today." 

"Yeah, five to six hours of college work, I know," Jaehwan spoke as he got eggs and bacon out of the cold box. 

"Ready to cook?" Taekwoon asked. 

"Ready as I'll ever be." 

 

After thirty minutes of agonizingly slow progress of cooking, Jaehwan cooked his own breakfast and let the phone stand with the help of the plates stacked near Jaehwan. Taekwoon, while helping Jaehwan cook his breakfast, was actually cooking his own dinner which was a small set of tempura and rice. Both of them showed that they were eating through the phone. Sometimes, they would "give" each other food through the small piece of metal. And they felt very good about it. 

After another hour of talking, story-telling, and some teasing, they both bid farewell to each other. Jaehwan was already fully dressed and ready to go to school.

"You pay attention in class, okay? Don't get distracted. Call me the same time tomorrow." 

"Later. I'll call you later," Jaehwan replied with a playful grin. 

"Whatever. Later, tomorrow, doesn't change time. I love you, Lee Jaehwan." 

"You didn't have to emphasize our time difference!" Jaehwan huffed with a small pout. "I love you too, Jung Taekwoon." 

Jaehwan puckered his lips and acted that he was kissing the phone. Taekwoonreleased a small and short laugh, before imitating the same gesture. And after a few seconds, Jaehwan ended the call. 

 

Taekwoon and Jaehwan were worlds apart, but their hearts remained in one place: with each other. 

<><><><><><><><><><>

A/N: I am such a fail XD I was working on the oneshot for today then I realized that I haven't unchecked the "Hide Chapter" box of this chapter. Such fail XD Anyways, this is for yesterday's oneshot. The oneshot for today would be revealed tomorrow, so it would be a double update. Don't worry, the oneshot for today supposedly, and the oneshot tomorrow are related. A prequel-sequel tandem. So yeah, thanks for reading the chapter! Thank you for subscribing as well!

Read. Love. Comment. <3