Notebook

Thank You For Being Born [23]

"Taekwoon, Hongbin, both of you are in cleaning duty, arasso?" Hakyeon, the president of their class, announced. 

"Nae, nae," Hongbin grumbled as he packed up his things.

He looked up seeing Taekwoon waving his hand as if dismissing Hakyeon's command, but Hongbin knew that he would do his duty nevertheless. While everyone was preparing to leave, Taekwoon was talking to Jaehwan about their project. Hongbin sought refuge to his partner-in-crime, the youngest of the class, Sanghyuk. 

"Hyuk-ah, wait for me to finish cleaning duty, okay? Then we'll go back to the dorm together," Hongbin said with a grin. 

"Hyung I have practice today. I might be a little late. But first, we need to know what's in Jaehwan's notebook," Sanghyuk spoke as if it was a dire mission. 

"Notebook? What about it?" 

"Look at how Jaehwan is trying to hide it from Taekwoon." 

Hongbin's gaze went from Sanghyuk to the duo, Taekwoon and Jaehwan. Taekwoon was standing in front of Jaehwan as he discussed matters. Jaehwan, on the other hand, was hugging the notebook close to his chest. That is strange, Hongbin thought. 

"Not to mention, when Taekwoon moved towards Jaehwan, Jaehwan flinched and hid the notebook quickly!" 

"Quiet down! And use your honorifics. You're still a year younger than all of us." 

"Don't want to. You're my only hyung," Sanghyuk commented with a creepy smile. 

Hongbin shivered. "Creepy, Han Sanghyuk. Really creepy." 

"So the plan is. I believe that Jaehwan-hyung leaves his notebook on his desk during choir practice, then picks it up after. So, when Jaehwan goes away, sneak in to read the contents of the notebook," Sanghyuk explained his devious plan. 

"Won't he get mad at us for messing with his stuff?" Hongbin asked, both reluctant and excited. 

"He won't get mad! Jaehwan-hyung is one of the nicest here. And he considers me his closest friend. I'd live up to that." 

"And where would you be while I look at its contents?" Hongbin raised an eyebrow at the question. 

"Don't you really trust me? I always accompany Jaehwan-hyung during choir practice since I take some voice acting lessons at the next room. I'll be buying a lot of time. Trust me on this. It's full-proof." 

"And if we get caught?"

"We'll let it cool for two weeks," Sanghyuk spoke confidently with a laugh. 

"Ugh, why am I best friends with the devil?" Hongbin groaned. 

"Hush my lovely hyung. I know that you love every inch of me─I mean my plan," Sanghyuk answered with a suggestive smile, raising his eyebrows repeatedly and suggestively. 

"Gross, Han Sanghyuk. Gross!" 

Hongbin went to the closet and got one broom, while Sanghyuk walked to Jaehwan and asked him to go to the choir room already. Jaehwan smiled and excused himself from Taekwoon. Hongbin could have sworn he glared at Sanghyuk, while the latter the smiled innocently at Taekwoon. God, that child was the embodiment of the saying "Don't judge a book by its cover". And as Sanghyuk had said, Jaehwan left his notebook. Hongbin and Taekwoon had waited for everyone to leave the classroom before they started to clean the room. 

After five minutes of silence (of course, it was Taekwoon he was with; how would it be noisy?), Hongbin made his way to Jaehwan's table and got the notebook. Taekwoon was about to get the trash bags when he saw Hongbin flipping through the pages. He was glaring at Hongbin as he walked to Jaehwan's table. 

"What the , Hongbin?" Taekwoon cursed out as he grabbed the notebook off Hongbin's hands. 

"Hyung!" Hongbin whined. 

"Jaehwan's not even showing this to me. What right do you have to look at it?" Taekwoon deadpanned. 

Hongbin looked down in slight guilt, trying to turn the situation. 

"But hyung! This is unfair! You definitely have the right! It's your face. The pages are all charcoal sketches of you!" 

Taekwoon blinked and his glare softened. He looked at the notebook. The covers were made of denim, with a small pocket in front. It had a charcoal pencil and three pencils of different shades. He stared at it for a little. Taekwoon was tempted to look at its contents. Moreover, curiosity was killing him. Why would Jaehwan draw him? Was he embarassed to let me see it? Did he draw other portraits or just him? 

Hongbin felt his pocket vibrate. He looked at his phone and saw the message. 

From Spawn of the Devil: Hyung abort mission! ABORT MISSION! 

Hongbin looked at the time. The message was sent multiple times but the first one was five minutes ago... 

"Taek, put down my notebook." 

Hongbin and Taekwoon instantly looked at the doorway. There was Jaehwan, clearly shocked with what he saw but remained having a poker face. At the back was Sanghyuk doing a facepalm gesture as quietly as possible so only Hongbin and Taekwoon could see. 

"Ahh Jae..." 

"Oh look at the time! I must be going" Hongbin suddenly scurried away from the classroom. With Sanghyuk in tow. 

That time, Jaehwan and Taekwoon were left. The latter glared at the pink-haired male, and thought of fifty ways on killing him without tampering his hair. It was brutal. But Taekwoon focused on the matter at hand. Literally. The notebook was still at his hand when Jaehwan walked closer and grabbed the notebook from his grip. He heard Jaehwan heaving a sigh as he stashed the notebook inside his bag and walked away from Taekwoon. 

"Why?" Taekwoon asked, making Jaehwan stop in his tracks. 

"I-i just like drawing!" Jaehwan made an excuse. 

"Drawing my face, is that it?" 

"You did look at my notebook!" Jaehwan accused. 

"I didn't. Hongbin did. I tried to stop him but you came in." 

"Like every other damned manga or drama, right?" 

Taekwoon flinched but didn't budge. He wasn't used to Jaehwan talking in a cold manner. It was his job to glare coldly and talk quietly. 

"Believe me or not, none of my concern but

"That's the problem! You don't even care anyway, so why would I tell you?" 

Jaehwan was about to run away when Taekwoon rapidly took a hold of his wrist. 

"My concern is your actions right now. I am worried for you." 

"Stop acting like you really do." 

"It's not acting. If it is, I am a really great actor, then." 

Jaehwan stood there quietly, enveloped with Taekwoon's silence. 

"I," Jaehwan sighed. 

"I like you." 

Jaehwan's eyes shot open when he heard another voice. He looked back at Taekwoon. He saw Taekwoon's soft smile for the first time. Taekwoon stared at Jaehwan, mesmerized with his perfection. He had confessed at the same time as the other. 

"When? How?" 

"Even before. I couldn't just say it, you know. I was waiting for the right time," Taekwoon answered. 

Taekwoon and Jaehwan stared at each other for a second. The former then moved his hand to Jaehwan's. He held his hand tightly, squeezed it. 
And the moment was ruin when he heard Sanghyuk's loud yell. 

"Be quiet, hyung! For God's sake!"