Book

Thank You For Being Born [23]

Whitewashed walls selfishly enclosed everything inside its sturdy build. Wooden planks pieced together created the shiny auburn floor. Dark brown shelves stood tall and proud, showcasing a variety of books in a wide spectrum of genres. Textbooks, romance, pop fiction, novelseverything was found inside the very universe of imagination. What we would call as a library. 

Taekwoon was at the second floor arranging the books by the Dewey Decimal System. He might have memorized the way the books were arranged already. He was there everyday, four hours per day. It was one of the programs Taekwoon applied in. It was a Student Assistantship program where he would work as an assistant of a certain teacher for a number of hours. At the end of the day, he would be given his stipend or his pay for his hours of service. 

He was already content with four hours a day. He had all the books that he would need to survive college. In addition, it was the epitome of silence. No one made groundbreaking noise. One could even hear the crickets or cicadas when the clock struck 6:00PM, the end of his shift. The librarian was really impressed with his work, sometimes she would give him a tip. All of the money he earned was saved in his bank account, and one day, he would make his family proud with his studies. 

But before all of that, he had tons of books to arrange. He looked at the clock. It was around five in the afternoon, an hour left. Only a few students were in the library. He looked over the librarian's table. The librarian packed her stuff and bid farewell, leaving her trust to Taekwoon. She also left the white envelope that had his pay for the day. He bowed at the librarian and she waved her hand as she exited the building. 

He hummed lightly as he continued to arrange books, until he noticed the door of the library as it opened. And he thought that moment wouldn't arrive. 

A male student wearing a red hoodie and gray sweatpants entered the library. He had hazelnut hair and flawless skin. He knew that face wherever he went. Lee Jaehwan. The popular singer-scientist of the university. He had a very beautiful voice that made all of the girls' hearts swoon. The library was his place of escape. But no one ever knew that he was reading at a place like this. If everyone knew, the library wouldn't be a sanctuary of peace. 

Taekwoon even thought that everyone was not aware of Jaehwan being a major bookworm. Even though it could be an obvious implication for he was a Physics major, everyone did not suspect the library for his disappearances every 5:00PM. Jaehwan didn't allow anyone to follow him. Taekwoon looked at the student, as Jaehwan had a difficult timewell, according to his expressionin finding a book. Taekwoon just shrugged it off and continued to arrange the books. 

After a few minutes, he went down the stairs to organize and return the books on the table to their rightful places, when Jaehwan just popped out of nowhere. 

"Ahh hey," Jaehwan called out silently, "Do you know where the Mythology books went?" 

"The books were transferred to the leftmost corner of the first floor," Taekwoon answered. 

"Thanks! Taekwoon, right?" 

"Yeah, Taekwoon-hyung," he corrected. 

"By one year, I suppose?" 

"Junior." 

"Sophomore. By one year, it is!"

Taekwoon shushed the younger when the latter exclaimed suddenly. Jaehwan instantly zipped his mouth and smiled sheepishly, before he went to the Mythology section. Taekwoon stared at the younger student until he disappeared through the towering shelves. He shook his head, and returned to organizing the books back to their respective shelves. 

And little did Taekwoon know about Jaehwan's beating heart that time.