Chapter 7

Ghost

 

Luhan went to the office with a huge smile plastered on his face. He became more cheerful than any other day. All the worker were confused with his action because this is the first time they saw Luhan in joy.

Sehun noticed the happiness in Luhan today and wondered what happened to him that made him like this. “Hey, any great news? You look so happy today.” Sehun put his hand on Luhan’s shoulder.

Luhan didn’t say anything but smile at him. Sehun also noticed that Luhan’s smile is different than his usual smile. It is like more lively and a sweet kind. He looks like he is in love with someone and Sehun eager to know who is she because he never had any interest in girls.

 

“Who is she?” Sehun asked with a grin.

Luhan frowned but a smile never leaves on his face. “Who?” He confused with Sehun’s question.

“That lucky girl.” He said while giggling.

“What are you talking about?” Luhan raised his eyebrow.

“Oh come on, Luhan! Just tell me who is she. Did I know her? Is she pretty?” Sehun couldn’t stop asking him questions about Luhan’s ‘lucky girl’.

“I don’t have anyone, Sehun. I’m just happy. Why I can’t be happy?” Luhan denied.

“Fine! If you don’t want to tell me, I will find it myself. Humph!” Sehun sulked while crossing his arms and walks to his office.

Luhan shook at his best friend’s childish attitude. He doesn’t want to tell him what had just happened yesterday.

Yesterday, he finally confessed to Joohyun that he likes her and apparently Joohyun likes him too not that jerk anymore. He is so happy with that. Not to mention, it was his first kiss yesterday. Yes, his first kiss.

 

Although Luhan has looks, brain, attitude and he was quite popular when he was in school but his popularity dropped drastically after he decided to join Arts and Literature course in high school. His high school had two categories of courses; Science and Math course and Arts and Literature course. Students who joined Science and Math course are considered as the smart students and often looked up by other students. Mostly, the students from Science and Math course are the most popular students.

However, the students from Arts and Literature course are contrast to the Science and Math course students. The stereotype for being in Arts and Literature course is that the students are not smart or the harsher word is dumb. Besides that, lazy is often called by other students for them.

Despite that in reality the Arts and Literature course students scored higher in the exam, people will still look down on them and claimed it that they won’t get any job with that course.

 

Luhan couldn’t forget what happened in the morning just now. Joohyun as usual prepared him breakfast but when they met, it was really awkward. Both of them couldn’t look at each other in the eyes. They were too embarrassed with their kiss yesterday but everything went well when he started to a little.

Another thing is, before he gone to work, Joohyun gave him a kiss on his cheek and since Luhan couldn’t kiss her, he gave her a flying kiss in which she playfully caught it. He thought that she looks so cute while doing that. He didn’t want to tell Sehun about Joohyun because Sehun might call him crazy.

 

He was in daydream when his phone rang interrupting him. After taking his phone from his pocket, he looked at the name displayed on his phone indicating who is calling him. It is Seo Jinhyuk.

He didn’t want anyone to know that he knows Seo Jinhyuk, so he went out from his office and goes to somewhere that no one is around. He answered his phone when he felt that he is alone.

“Yes, sir? Do you need anything?”

Luhan listened carefully with what Seo Jinhyuk is saying.

“Around 5pm.” Seo Jinhyuk asked him what time does he finish his work.

“Alright, I will be there. See you soon, sir.”

Seo Jinhyuk asked Luhan to come to his house after he finished his work. According to him, he just received another picture that might give him a clue on where Seulgi is.

 


 

Luhan drove his car to Seo Jinhyuk’s house. He actually wants to meet Minseok and Kyungsoo because they were scared when he called them because of the reporters gathered at their house.

When Luhan arrived, he surprised to see the reporters still crowded there. They never give up when it comes to dig some secrets. Why can’t they leave them alone? He was glad that his CEO allowed him to do what he wants but of course he must do his job properly. If not, he will get into trouble.

 

Luhan texted Minseok that he arrived at his house but there are a lot of reporters here. Minseok replied to him said that he should go to the back door because no one is there.

Like he is a special guest, the back gate is opened for him to enter with his car. He entered the backyard and parked his car there. He met the maid and she told him that everyone is waiting for him at the living room.

He walked straight to the living room and Seo Jinhyuk, Minseok, and Kyungsoo were there. Luhan bowed before sat on the sofa while waiting for Seo Jinhyuk to say something.

Seo Jinhyuk gave him an envelope and he opened it revealing there is another picture but this time is not Seulgi but a picture of an old house. Luhan frowned while looking at the picture and turned to Seo Jinhyuk while waiting for his explanation about this picture.

 

“Do you know that house? That house is actually ‘Hope Orphanage’. It is actually related to the ‘Hope School’ that you claimed you found Joohyun there.” Seo Jinhyuk mentioned the name of the house. Apparently, it was an orphanage.

“Did the kidnapper send this?”

Seo Jinhyuk shook his head showed that he didn’t know who sent this picture.

 

“I think Seulgi must be there.”

Luhan turned to Seo Jinhyuk. What makes him think that Seulgi is there? “Why?”

“It’s my guess. But she could be there. If not, why the kidnapper sent this picture?”

He has a point. Seulgi might be or might not be there. But if Seulgi is here, that would explain the picture of Seulgi being tied in a room. From what he observed, it looks like a typical teenager room. Is her kidnapper a teenager?

 


 

That night, Luhan looked up in the internet about this ‘Hope Orphanage’. There are a lot of articles about them and he might spend his time reading all these articles to know more about this school.

He clicked one of the articles in the search results about what happened to the school and the owner of the orphanage.

In the article, it is said that the school was on fire because of circuit problem. It also stated that after the fire happened, the owner of the ‘Hope Orphanage’ whom the kids called him ‘dad’, suffered from depression due to the loss from the school. Not to mention, there are a lot of debts that he had not settled. In the end, he committed suicide leaving all the kids in the house.

The news about the ‘Hope Orphanage’ became popular to the public and many sympathized to them. The public made a petition so that the kids could get adopted and it got approved. All the kids from the orphanage got adopted with the people who willing to adopt them.

 

Luhan looked for other articles and there is an article talked about the kids from the orphanage. He clicked the article and it says the name of the kids as well as the picture of them. He scrolled while looking at the picture of the kids. He realized that most of them were still young when these things happened.

He was scrolling but stopped when there are two familiar people are listed as the kids from the orphanage. One of them is Jung Seyeon. Yes, Miss Jung; Seulgi’s homeroom teacher. She was from the ‘Hope Orphanage’? That was shocking.

Another familiar person is actually surprising him. She looks like a lot with Joohyun. Like a lot. Maybe 95 percent she looks like Joohyun. Luhan looked at her name and her name is Son Jiyeon. Could she be- no, she couldn’t be. Her name is different but they have a same surname!

 

Joohyun came and sat beside Luhan and looks at his laptop. She frowned while looking at the screen or specifically, to the girl who looks like her.

“Mom?”

Luhan turned to Joohyun with wide eyes. His guess is right. She is Son Eunseo. But why she had different name here?

 

“What is this all about?” Joohyun asked Luhan in shocked after seeing her mother’s younger picture in here.

“You know this is your mother?”

“My dad showed their pictures to us. My mom looks so exactly like me.” She explained. “Why my mother is in here?”

Luhan explained to Joohyun that her mother somehow is an orphan and stayed at this ‘Hope Orphanage’. He asked Joohyun if she knows about this and she said yes, she knew about it long ago. Her mother never hides anything about that she was adopted. Joohyun also told him that she knew the story about the orphanage because her mother told her.

Luhan also mentioned about Jung Seyeon and Joohyun surprised about that. She had to look at her picture for a proof.

 

“I think they might know each other.”

Joohyun turned to Luhan with a bewilder look.

Luhan scrolled down and at the end of the article, it says that all the kids were officially adopted and currently staying with their adopted families. He asked to Joohyun if she knows about her grandparents.

She said that her grandparents surname is Son. They adopted her mother because of her surname but they changed her given name because they wanted Eunseo name for their daughter’s name and gave an excuse that they wanted her mother to start a new life with them.

 


 

“I’m sorry for making you wait.” Jung Seyeon entered the room while apologizing with a smile to Luhan.

Luhan stood up and bowed to her before sat down. He decided to go to Soon Hwan Junior High School to ask Jung Seyeon if she knows Son Eunseo or Son Jiyeon.

 

“So, you’re coming here to ask about Seulgi. I heard that she is missing. Am I right?” She asked Luhan about Seulgi.

“Actually, I’m here not because to ask about Seulgi.” Luhan took out a picture of Eunseo and put it on the table before pushed it towards her. “Do you know her?”

Jung Seyeon took the picture to get a closer look. “She is Son Eunseo, the wife of Seo Jinhyuk who died tragically, right?”

Luhan nodded at her. “Have you met her before?”

She was confused with Luhan’s question but she shook her head indicating that she never met her before.

“I’m pretty sure you do.” Luhan took out a picture of Eunseo when she was as Son Jiyeon and put it in front of her.

Jung Seyeon took it and looked back and forth at Eunseo and Jiyeon’s picture. She looks so surprise.

 

“Is-Is she-” She stuttered because she was so shock.

Luhan heaved a sigh before he told her the truth. “Yes, Son Eunseo is Son Jiyeon.”

Luhan revelation caused Jung Seyeon to break down in tears. She can’t believe that Son Eunseo who died is Son Jiyeon.

 

“Do you perhaps know her?” Luhan asked the question once again.

Jung Seyeon tried to answer him between the sobs. “She-She’s my best- friend. I-I don’t know that they are the same person. We never met after all of us were adopted.” She and Eunseo were friends when they were together at the orphanage.

 

“I’m sorry because I know this personal to you but who adopted you?”

Luhan didn’t know why he wants to know about Jung Seyeon’s adopted family but her answer shocks him the most.

 


 

“So it’s true that Jung Seyeon is your adopted sister?”

Luhan asked Seo Jinhyuk about Jung Seyeon. It turns out that Jung Seyeon was adopted by Seo Jinhyuk’s family.

“Why do you want to know about that?” Seo Jinhyuk asked with slightly angry tone because it is too personal to him.

Luhan showed an article about the kids at the orphanage with a picture of Jung Seyeon and Son Eunseo. “She said that she and Son Eunseo were best friend during the orphanage.”

Seo Jinhyuk looked at Luhan in shock. It looks like he didn’t know about this.

 

“This can’t be true. They met each other before but they never talk at all.”

Now it’s Luhan’s turn to surprise. They met before? But why Jung Seyeon said that they never met after they were adopted?

“They met before?” Luhan asked again to make sure that he heard it right.

“Yes. Seyeon, Eunseo, and I were in the same high school. That time, Seyeon was just entering high school. She was always with me because she is new to the surrounding and she didn’t know anyone there because she used to be with the kids from the orphanage.” He stopped before continues.

“I saw Eunseo in Seyeon’s class and I was attracted to her beauty. I want to get to know about her but she was giving me an icy stare all the time. I thought that it’s just me but she was like that to everyone and she had no friends at all.” He stopped again and then smiles unknowingly.

“We met again at dinner party and her parents were invited. For the first time, she smiled to my parents and suddenly we became close and started to develop a feeling towards each other. My parents and her parents approved our relationship and we got married after that.”

 

“What about your adopted sister?” Luhan asked about Jung Seyeon.

“I don’t know what happened to her after I went to abroad. The last time we met was when I told my parents about my marriage plan with Eunseo before I went for study. According to my parents, she went to abroad for study too but my parents lost contact with her. So, she missed my wedding.” Seo Jinhyuk explained to Luhan.

“So, Son Eunseo and Jung Seyeon really met before.” Luhan thought about that.

“My parents introduced us to her parents.” Seo Jinhyuk added.

 

Luhan didn’t understand at all. Did Jung Seyeon really didn’t know about Son Eunseo? He might understand if she didn’t know that Eunseo is Son Jiyeon but to say that she never met with her is ridiculous.

He recalled when Jung Seyeon casually said that Son Eunseo is the wife of Seo Jinhyuk but why she admitted that she was adopted by Seo Jinhyuk’s family. Jung Seyeon is digging her own grave.

 


 

“Is this the place?” Joohyun asked Luhan while looking outside of the window car at the view of an old house.

“Well, the GPS says so. Do you think Seulgi is there?” Luhan followed Joohyun’s direction at the house.

It is the ‘Hope Orphanage’. They decided to go there to find Seulgi. If she is really there.

 

They went out from the car and Luhan was amazed with the orphanage. Just like the school, everything about this building is still standing strong despite that it was abandoned for 29 years. He is glad that no one decided to demolish this house. It’s too bad that he didn’t bring his camera along. If not, this will be perfect for his column in magazine.

 

Both of them looked around the house and some of the stuffs are still there although it became deteriorate because it was left a long time ago. They stopped for a while in the middle of the living room. The place is so quiet and only the sound of wind breeze was heard.

“I think we need to separate our ways to find Seulgi.” Joohyun gave Luhan an idea for both of them to find Seulgi separately so that it will be easy and save their time. “When you found her, call me.”

Luhan nodded at her before said, “You too. Call me when you found her.”

 

And there they go their separate way. Joohyun goes to the upstairs while Luhan goes to check around the house. He wandering around the house and walked straight to the back of the house. He walked out from the house and there is a huge space there without any roof but there is a wall alongside the space. There is also another path of other room at the other side of the house.

 

He went out and walks towards the room. He caught a glimpse at the ground of the huge space and he thought that this must be the place where the kids were playing.

He went inside one of the rooms and notice that there are photos were pasted on the wall. There is also a red-colored tape was pasted in between of the photos like it was some sort of a family tree or some connections between the people in the photos.

 

Luhan sensed that there is a presence of someone and thought that it might be Joohyun. He turned around to look at who is there but he was knocked out by someone causing him to pass out.

 


 

“Luhan?”

Luhan opened his eyes slowly upon hearing someone called his name. He groaned while touching his head because he felt dizzy. He blinked a few times to adjust the light.

 

“Luhan, are you okay?”

He heard Joohyun’s voice asking him if he is fine.

“J-Joohyun, what happened?” He struggled to ask Joohyun what is going on to him.

“I don’t know. I was trying to find you but you are nowhere to be found. I saw a guy coming out from this room and when I entered this room, I found you unconscious. Is there anything happened?” Joohyun stated that she saw a guy here. That means there is someone else here other than both of them.

 

“Someone- punched me. I- don’t know who. Everything- is so fast.” He used all his strength just to sit. The punch is definitely hurt him.

“I’m sorry.” Joohyun apologized to him with sad voice.

Luhan frowned with that. Why she does need to apologize to him?

“I left you alone. If it’s not because of me, you wouldn’t become like this.” She said in regret.

Luhan wants to put his hand on her shoulder but it passes through her body. Luhan sighed when he forgot once again that she is a ghost.

 

“It’s okay. It’s not your fault.” He said with a smile to cheer her up.

He looked around the empty room and questioned where he is. Which part of this house in this room? He has yet to know about this house. So, he doesn’t know where is he now?

“It was in the second floor of the house. I haven’t come here yet.” Joohyun told him.

Luhan nodded to her. “We need to get out from here and find Seulgi as soon as possible.”

 

“Hello? Is there anybody there? Please help me!”

Luhan and Joohyun heard a girl’s voice somewhere along with a knocking sound on the wall. They turned to the direction where the voice can be heard. It was from the wall. The girl is pleading to help her.

 

Joohyun stood up with a stunned face.

“I think I know that voice.”

She walked to the wall and passes through it. She turned to her left and her eyes widened.

 

“Seulgi!”