Chapter 2

Ghost

 

“I didn’t commit suicide.”

 

Luhan jumped in surprised with the sudden voice beside him. When he looked at the owner of the voice, it’s her again. The dead girl, Seo Joohyun. But how did she end up in his car? He didn’t hear someone opened his car door or at least he would have notice that someone is beside him.

 

“You! You’re that-”

“I’m Seo Joohyun. Yes, the dead girl that you found just now.”

Luhan’s jaw dropped with her words. Is she a ghost? If she’s real then why did she said she’s the dead girl?

 

“What are you?” Luhan’s eyes widened when he asked that.

“I’m a ghost, I guess?”

 

How can she say that? What?! A ghost! For real? Luhan can’t believe this. If she’s a ghost, shouldn’t she look like a ghost; long hair, extremely white-colored face, red eyes with dark circles around it and a ghost should wear a big white clothes. Well, she does have long hair and her face is pale but not like a ghost but a porcelain-like skin. She’s just like a normal high school student.

 

“You’re a ghost?” Luhan asked disbelief.

“Let me show you.”

Joohyun raised her hand and tried to ‘slap’ Luhan. Luhan closed his eyes when he saw her trying to slap him.

 

“Do you feel it?” Joohyun asked.

Luhan blinked in confusion. What was that? He only thinks about the slap that she ‘gave’ him. But he didn’t feel anything at all.

Seeing his confused face, Joohyun tried other way to prove him. This time, she raised both hands with palms facing each other.

 

“Watch this.”

She moved both of her hands slowly towards the palms. When the palms touched, it passes through her hands leaving Luhan dumbfounded. He’s blank with the action just now. His tongue tied; couldn’t say any word to describe it.

Suddenly, she put her hand on his shoulder. He can feel it. He can feel her touch on his shoulder. His heart beat racing and sweats started to form all over his forehead.

 

“I can touch something if I’m focus.” She told him.

Luhan gulped. This is the first time he encountered a ghost, a not so scary ghost that he always imagined. Well, he likes to watch horror movie too but it’s kind of funny when he’s scared. He’s not scared. He’s surprised.

 

“What do you want?” That’s what Luhan wanted to know. Why she’s here?

“I need a justice.”

“What?” He doesn’t understand her. Justice? Of what?

“Find my killer.”

Luhan blinked and then scoffed at her. Find her killer? Did she forget that she committed suicide?

 

“Please! Help me find my killer.” She pleaded him.

“You committed suicide. Do you understand that? You hung yourself in that school.” Luhan told her.

“No, I didn’t! I was murdered.” Joohyun confessed to him.

“By whom?” He asked who killed her.

“I don’t know. I-”

“So you told me that someone murdered you but you don’t know who killed you. That’s so funny. I’m laughing out loud.” Luhan pretended to laugh. She said she was murdered by didn’t know who did it.

“Please! I’m telling the truth. I was murdered but I don’t know who. That’s why I need your help. Please! I’m begging you.” Joohyun can’t stop begging him.

 

Luhan didn’t know what he should do. Should he believe her? He clearly saw with his two eyes that he found her hanging but now she said she was murdered. This doesn’t make any sense at all.

 

“Please-”

“I’m sorry. I can’t help you. I don’t want to interfere with police matters. If you want to find your so called killer, ask somebody else.” He retorted back.

“But you’re the only one who can see me right now!” Only Luhan can see her. Nobody else.

“No matter how much you beg, I won’t do it. I’m a journalist not a detective!” He can’t stand with her begging anymore. He had no choice but to shout at her.

Joohyun flinched when he shouted at her. She let out a sigh and asked him to do one thing for her.

 

“Okay, I give up. But I want you to do one simple thing. Meet my family and tell them about my death.” She gave him a simple task.

“I told you that I didn’t want to involve in this matter. Can’t you understand?” He said in rage. Why can’t she leave him alone?

“Please meet my family and told them about me. I promise that I won’t disturb you after this.” She mumbled helplessly.

Luhan thought for a while. He really didn’t like this. With a sigh, he had to accept it. She promised that she won’t disturb him after that.

 

“Okay. I will go and meet them but tomorrow. I need a rest since you ruined my work today.” He said angrily.

 


 

“Is that your house?” Luhan asked her in the car while looking at the big house in front of him.

“Yes. That’s my house.” She answered.

Luhan’s eyes widened. That’s her family’s house? It’s a mansion that only wealthy people can stay. Is she coming from wealthy family?

 

“Are you coming from wealthy family?” He asked in shock.

He looked at her. She looks like she was struggling to answer his question. She starts to stammer as well.

 

“Um, no! Not really. I mean, maybe?!”

Luhan raised his eyebrow with her answer.

 

“So your family is rich?” He asked again but she doesn’t look comfortable.

“Yes, maybe?” She scratched her non itchy head. Why this question is hard for her to answer? It’s just a simple question!

 

Luhan went out from his car followed by Joohyun. Well, she just needs to pass through the door. Joohyun pointed to the bell and Luhan pressed it.

 

“Who is it?” A voice from the intercom asking him.

“I need to meet Seo Joohyun’s family. It’s urgent.”

“What is this about?”

“It’s about Seo Joohyun.”

“Who do you want to meet?” Why does he ask so many questions? Luhan wants to end this quickly.

“Her family. Can you please let me in because I need to go and I’m busy right now and I need to tell something about Seo Joohyun?” He raised his voice because of this stupid voice in the intercom kept asking him never ending questions.

“I need to confirm your identity, please!”

Luhan placed his head against the gate. At this moment, he wants to go to home now. He can’t believe that he became impatient to this. He is a calm person. Probably because of that his work has been ruined by Joohyun so he can’t help but having a little grudge towards her. Don’t mess with Luhan and his passion! He can kill you.

 

“My name is Luhan and I’m a journalist in Star News Company.” He gritted his teeth while answering that.

“Do you have an appointment for interview?”

Luhan couldn’t stand anymore. He took a deep breath while trying to calm down.

 

“Okay, listen to me! I come here to meet Seo Joohyun’s family to tell them something regarding Seo Joohyun. After that, I will get out from here. So, can you please let me in? It’s just for a while.” Luhan tried to have little nice words to the person that he has been talking to through intercom.

 

“Oh my goodness, he is so annoying! Why does he ask so many questions? Who is he by the way?”

“He’s our security guard.” Joohyun answered.

 

A security guard? Luhan swore that her family is filthy rich. Her house has a security guard!

The door was opened and there’s a security guard, probably the one who talked to him just now in front of the gate.

 

“Follow me!” He commanded.

 

Luhan followed the security guard. He awed with the garden and there’s a fountain too. It’s really beautiful and amazing. He wondered who her family is.

That security guard brought him inside of one small house. He told Luhan to sit on the couch in the living room of this small house. They can’t be living here, right? What’s the point having this mansion when they stay here unless it was the maid who stays here? It does make sense though. Joohyun probably is a daughter of a maid. That’s why she hesitates to say that she came from rich family.

 

“This is the guest house. Guests usually don’t come into our house for some reason.” She told him like she knows what’s on his mind.

“Why guests can’t come into your house?” No one would do something like that to the guest.

“My dad did this to prevent anyone knowing about us.” Why her father would do that? He doesn’t understand.

“Who is your dad?”

He was about to ask about her dad when there are two guys entered the house. Luhan stood up and bowed to them while giving them a handshake. He is curious about these two guys. They look young. One of the guys has chubby cheeks with mono lid eyes and the other one has big eyes like an owl. But something that bothering Luhan is that the fact both of them has expressionless face. Luhan feels like they want to kill him or something.

 

“You’re Luhan?” The chubby cheeks guy asked him. Luhan nodded at his question.

“I’m Seo Minseok, Joohyun’s elder brother.” He introduced himself.

“-and this is my younger brother, Seo Kyungsoo.” Minseok introduced the owl eyes guy.

“So, I heard that you come here to talk about my younger sister, Joohyun. What is it?” He asked Luhan straight to the point.

“Before I continue, I would like your parents to be here too so that everyone knows about this.” He wants to explain to them what happened all in once. That would be easier. At least he doesn’t have to come back here and dealing with that security guard again.

“They’re out of country. They will be back either today or tomorrow. If you want to tell us about my elder sister, you better tell us now since you’re busy.” Kyungsoo replied.

 

Luhan didn’t know whether he is concerned about him or he is being sarcastic towards him. But one thing for sure, he heard his conversation between the security guard.

Luhan heaved a heavy sigh before tell them something. How are they going to take this news about their sister?

 

“I have a bad news regarding Seo Joohyun, your sister. It’s hard for me to tell this to you.” Imagine receiving a news of someone who is blood related to you is dead?

“Seo Joohyun is- dead. She committed suicide at the ‘Hope School’.

 

Luhan didn’t expect the reaction from her two brothers. Usually, if you received this kind of news, you will cry like a baby. But these two boys just nod without any expression after hearing their sister, their freaking sister, committed suicide! There were no any tears formed in their eyes after hearing that news. Luhan turned to Joohyun and she has the same expression as well. Shouldn’t she at least feel surprise or sad that they don’t care about her?

 

“What about Seulgi?” Minseok asked him.

Luhan blinked with Minseok’s sudden question about Seulgi. His tone of his voice is flat and monotone. It’s like a robot. That’s creepy!

 

“Seulgi, our youngest sister.” Kyungsoo told him.

Luhan surprised that they moved on to ask about Seulgi, not their dead sister!

 

“I don’t know about that but the police found her school bag in that school where Joohyun is dead. What happened?” He became curious about their youngest sister.

“Seulgi wasn’t home along with Joohyun. Now we know what happened to Joohyun, we wonder what happen to Seulgi too.” Kyungsoo said.

 

Kyungsoo’s words were creep Luhan out. There’s no expression at all. What’s wrong with her family? He took a glance to Joohyun and she’s just the same.

Minseok looked at his watch before he turned to Luhan and says something.

 

“I think you should go now since it’s getting late. Anyway, thank you for informing us this. We will tell our parents once they reach here.”

They bowed and shook their hands before Luhan leaves the house.

 

“Are you sure that you don’t want to help me?” Joohyun asked Luhan once he got inside his car.

“I told your brothers that you’re dead and it seems like they don’t care about you. Now, you should stick to your promise. Don’t disturb me anymore!” He warned.

“If you don’t want to find my killer, help me to find my sister!”

“I told you that I don’t want to involve anything like this. The police will find your sister. Now excuse me, I need to go home and don’t disturb me again!” He uttered angrily.

Joohyun sighed and went out from his car with sad feeling. No one will help her now.

 


 

Luhan reached to his office and he wondered why everyone eyed him like he did something wrong. He ignored all the stares and go straight to his desk.

 

“Hey, Luhan! I heard that you found a dead girl at your ‘workplace’.” Im Yoona, his workmate told him what she heard.

Luhan wondered how she knew about that.

 

“How do you know about that?”

“Sehun told us.” Kim Jongdae, another workmate told him.

 

Damn that Sehun! His best friend told everyone about this. Just wait until he meets him during lunch time.

 

“Luhan, I think you should be in newspaper department to report about this. You can investigate about that girl.” Byun Baekhyun suggested to him.

“He’s right. You took journalism course but you become photojournalist. I know that’s your passion but I’m kind of waiting for you to report something too.” Kim Taeyeon agreed with Baekhyun.

“I’m not interested with that. Anyway, photojournalism is still part of journalism, don’t you think?” Luhan told them clearly with a smile. He might be a part of journalist team but taking photo is what he loves to do.

 

 

It is lunch time and as usual, Luhan and Sehun will go for lunch together. He called Sehun but he didn’t answer. He called again but the result is still the same. He had no choice but to go to the newspaper department where Sehun works.

He went to his desk but he wasn’t there either. He asked a lady who sat beside Sehun.

 

“Excuse me, may I know where is Sehun?”

“He and others go to the airport. There’s a murder case happened there. So he needs to report about it for tomorrow’s news.” She told him.

 

Hearing the word murder, he reminded what Joohyun told him; she was murdered. Luhan shrugged it off since she won’t disturb him anymore. After meeting her expressionless brothers, he didn’t see her after that. Now, he has to wait until the police finish the investigation so that he can come back to that school again.

 

 

Luhan packed his bag and head out from the office. Then, he saw Sehun and others are back from the airport he assumed.

 

“So, how’s your work?” That’s the first thing he asked Sehun.

“It was totally chaos! There were lots of reporters there. Everyone wants to know the news. I had to push them to get better news.” Sehun said with an action making Luhan chuckled.

“I heard it was a murder case.”

“Yes, it is. The victim is a lady. You know what; she died in a very tragic way. All the parts of her body have been chopped off. It was really scary. The murderer must be insane. Hopefully the murderer didn’t find his next victim.” Luhan cringed at Sehun's explanation.

 

All the parts of her body have been chopped off? That’s crazy. He hopes that the police will find the murderer fast before he attempts to do it to someone else.

 


 

Luhan came back home and the first thing he did was throw his bag on the couch and dropped his body on the couch as well. He was so tired. Had to face with the traffic jam is surely tiring for him sitting in his car for hours sometimes.

He took his remote and turn on the TV. The news just started and the anchor presents the headline of the news for today. It was the murder at the airport where Sehun and others were there.

He heard about that news a lot from everyone at his office but he never had any chance to look up about it so he sat in front of his TV and tried to focus the news. Just like what Sehun told him, the lady was murdered brutally. He can’t believe that there’s someone who did that. It’s really cruel and merciless.

“The victim, Son Eunseo, 44 years old-”

 

‘PRANG’

 

Luhan is shocked hearing a glass shattering near him. He saw Joohyun shaking with her eyes on TV. He was surprise to see her there. Luhan noticed that there’s a shattered glass with pool of water on the floor. She stood still with fear on her face. Her eyes glued to the TV.

All of sudden, she gasped with her eyes still on TV. Luhan turned to the TV where the news showed a picture of a lady. It could be the victim. But Luhan surprised with it. The victim of the murder looks alike with Joohyun a lot.

 

 

“Mom?”