Chapter 08

No Mercy

I wonder if Maia already knew… What if all were guesses and she didn’t know? I realize the importance to talk to Maia is as great as surviving in this household. We’ve committed crime and I keep thinking that death seems to be edging closer to me the moment Kihyun revealed the truth.

One, I knew about the wolves and failed to report them to the government.

Two, I knew about the wolves and… not have the intention to report them.

Three, I think I would like to stay on the wolves’ side.

Kihyun was very patient with me and I admit that I was scared to have faced a powerful creature but I notice that I have not held onto any grudge or pain during my stay here. And if I were to choose, I would conceal this secret that Kihyun entrusted me because… he trusted me like I have the rights to. And for the first time being a slave in my life, I felt human.

But how would our world sees me if they knew I sided with the legends? Those that lived a life of luxury and carefreeness wouldn’t be able to comprehend why I did so.

To the government and others, I am a slave and I’m not entitled to choices or opinions.

I was so deep in my thoughts and own worries that I jolted from shock when I hear the click from the door. Kihyun enters with a tray of food, sees me squatted down near the corner of his room and a look of worry writes over his face.

I want to tell him not to worry about the secret we’ve shared. But my lips aren’t moving. It’s like a spell is cast on me and I’m frozen on my spot, not moving. I see his brown orbs, so beautiful that it’s not normal.

He’s a wolf… I seem to have remembered he’s a creature I once look up to. But now, look at me… I’m scared of it.

Kihyun places the tray next to me and look me at eye level. I hear a low growl and it was too much to bear. Is he going to silence me because I knew about his identity and that I failed to gain his trust?

I’m shivering and he isn’t stopping, my eyes are too fixed on the row of his white sharp teeth. His orbs starts to darken and then I screamed.

The next thing I knew was that I see him lying on the ground, laughing like some madman and my hands unknowingly grabbed onto his arms. My eyes are shut to steady my heart and mind.

I… don’t understand.

He shows me something so different each and every time I have no idea which is the real Kihyun. And what if this is yet, another test to decide if I am to keep or go?

“I’m sorry.” He says in between chuckles. “I didn’t know you would take it so seriously.”

I’m still breathing. Kihyun is smiling.

“You alright?”

He ask after noticing how stunned I am. I gave a nod and he smiles. I love how I could fall deep into this Kihyun that I am facing now. No fears, no doubts and just Kihyun smiling at me like we knew each other since long before.

Kihyun push the tray of food towards me and cues for me to eat which I did.

He walk over to his desk and started work on the pile of maps and papers. I ate while watching his movements. He pinpoints that one map onto the wall with 5 yellow stars marked on it. That’s the dungeon map and I chew my food while thinking about the rest of the legends that are most probably locked in there.

He sighs and put his hands on both side of his waist. “Ara, will you cry for me if I were to be gone?”

“Where?”

There’s an arch on his brow. “I think you know…”

Yes, I do. But I find no need in getting confirmation from him so I don’t further my questions. I can only assume that he wants to go to the dungeon – a place built to lock the wolves – and rescue someone he knows.

Among so many doubts I have, there is only one that requires an answer. “Why did you reveal yourself only now? And to me? Of all people…”

He appears to be thinking and I stood up to face him. Kihyun fidgets and then all of a sudden, appears right in front of me. I have no measurement of how far his powers can go to and I have no answer to how deadly he can be. I always seem to forget that and the most important part is that he always manages to make me forget that he is a creature that many fears and misunderstood.

“And why did you not report me to the government?”

 I don’t know what to reply. He’s standing too close and every breath I inhale, it is filled with this warmth and manly scent that I have never encountered before meeting him. I stare straight ahead, into the veins on his neck and is very cautious in my movement.

I press my lips, then say, “Because I think you do good than bad.”

Somehow, I am very sincere when I say this to him. I am not lying and I indeed do believe that he is someone of high prestigious and with a kind heart. Which is why I decided to take good care of this trust that he has given me instead of any others.

He bend slightly towards me and I arch my back a little away from the teasing he is enjoying. “Correct.” Kihyun lean towards me and we touch forehead to forehead. “I believe you know good more than bad too. Which is why I revealed my true self.”

“S…stop.”

I don’t get why I’m stuttering and it annoys me a little when I see how he’s having fun in witnessing me panic. He laughs and a part of my heart soften. Unfamiliar with this closeness, I shift away and he took in the hint, releasing me.

“Ara…” His tone sounded a lot more serious than before.

“I hope you understand and trust that I’m not here to hurt you.”

I know that but I can’t seem to rest my mind to trust entirely because… after all, he is a wolf. A wolf with powers that can crush anything that gets in his way.

I shook my head, brushing these thoughts away.

“I just…” He continues. “I just want to protect you.”

I might have upset him after pushing him away each and every time when we are sharing intimacy. He might have misunderstood that as loathing.

He walks away and I realize a frown is drawn on his handsome face all along. Disappointment in his eyes. My heart drops when I see him feeling so. I cannot explain why it happened to me but I felt the need to ensure him that I appreciate how he cares for the human race and I am thankful that he has given me trust like no other masters I have met.

So I walk towards him, gotten rid of any negative emotions in me and hug him from the back real tight. A little of my nervousness causes me to squeeze his big built with more strength than I thought I could summon.

“Thank you.” I say. I hope it makes him feel better. A hug and words of appreciation. That is what the elderly back in the slave village always mention.

But I seem to feel his muscles tense and his shoulders rise. I must have shocked him so I remove myself from him and remember to stand a few steps away. I don’t wait for any response that comes from Kihyun because I’m embarrassed myself. So I took the tray of food that I finish and walk out of his room to the kitchen with a contended smile on my lips.

*

I hope my readers enjoy this as much as how much fun I had when typing this. Thank you for staying :)