Chapter 12

No Mercy

“I’ve always got a hunch.” Maia leans over the fence and allows the wind to mess her hair. “I knew I could trust you.” She says.

I smile a little, loving every bit of positivity she always seem to carry. “Me?”

Maia nods and turn to face me, drawing a hand over her messed up hair. “I knew about the legends way before we met.” She confesses.

I’m puzzled. I knew she had a thing for the legends but I had always thought of it as curiosity and nothing more severe than that. Her confession was a big blow to me and I don’t intend to hide it. I’m comfortable with being honest to the people I care and Maia is definitely one of them after all of these dangerous moments we’ve shared.

“You knew? I mean… how!?”

“I overheard the conversation which the elders back at the slave village shared. And they were talking about the wolves getting locked in the dungeon. I mean, I don’t know how they knew but their words make me realize the legend still exist.”

She eyes me after pausing. The wind has ruffled my hair into a mess too but I do nothing to it, I’m too fixated on her story.

She shrug before continuing, “Well, I do have my doubts. I don’t jump onto what the elders say so immediately. But… remember the first night we went to Wonho and Kihyun’s ground?”

I nod very slowly. I think I know what she’s about to say.

“They were different. Yes?” She asks.

“Yes.”

Yes, they were different. And by different, Maia and I have the same conception that they were different by the way they carry themselves and the way some of their features and powers stood out that allowed us to figure they were not human.

“I was confident about it and I think Wonho sense the urgency from me too. I then told him what I knew and pledged loyalty to him because I wanted revenge…”

There were tear stain on her cheeks by the time she reach this point and it pained my heart to see the always cheerful Maia crying.

“My parents were killed by demons. I’ve seen it and I lived my life with it.”

My hand immediately went to Maia and I held onto her hands, giving her the comfort and support she probably needed right at this moment. I’ve never knew my parents and I think it would be better this way rather than what Maia has experienced. Her parents getting killed right in front of her eyes at that very young and pure age.

Maia smiles weakly, “They were so cruel. And I’m scared…” She admits.

I’ve never seen Maia so fallen and out of confidence before. Her frail figure suddenly seems so foreign to me and I can’t help but get scared at all of these that we’re going to face soon. A devil, or maybe a vampire… worst still, death.

“We’ll be fine, it’s alright.” I lied and squeezes her hand.

And this lie seems to have inked itself as a reminder to myself that danger and death would be coming to us at times where we let our guards down and at the very least expected moments very, very easily.

*”*

There’s a place where Wonho and Kihyun has to visit and I heard them mentioning about some fey fairies that are involved in the rescuing mission. Maia and I had to tag along because they figured it wouldn’t be safe if two humans were left alone in a foreign world.

“There will be many watching us and although it’s a territory where we can trust, it’s the creatures where we can’t.”

Kihyun warn us ahead and reminded us not to answer any questions asked from strangers. The magical world doesn’t seem any different, it’s almost like a replica of a wealthy village I’ve seen in the human world. Except the fact that those walking past Maia and I aren’t human.

I also notice that Wonho and Kihyun are receiving bows from some of the fey and fairies that walk past us. Most of them greeted the wolves with smiles, some with welcomed surprises and a few with fear-ridden look on their faces.

All of them look like humans, just a little pale, too clean and white from head to toes.

I look at my dress and back at them. I… look like them. So does Maia.

Even so, I can’t help but feel the pinch inside my tummy. I’m a little scared because of the what-ifs. And the most awful thing is I have no guesses as to what are the possible what-ifs that could happen. It’s the unknown, anything, anytime, anyone and anywhere.

We reach a shop that says 'Semper Paratus' and the door did not give way easy, Wonho had to give a forceful push then did it open.

“Oh my goodness! Look who we have here!”

The chattering and buzzing noise from inside was shushed by someone from among the crowd with his coarse and rusty voice. An old man then raises his hand from among the many creatures I see in this pub-like shop and he urge us to join.

I wasn’t really sure with joining so many of them when we are at a situation where trust shouldn’t be given so easily. Kihyun interlock his hand with mine and pulled me close. I see a soft smile from him and he nods to reassure me.

Wonho leads the way with Maia following close behind, followed by Kihyun and then me clinging onto his hand with all nervousness.

There were a lot of movements going around us although there was no sound when we made our way through to the old man, not even whispers. Some of the creatures moved away and left, while others stayed but sat at the corner. It was rather new to witness how the creatures in the magical world were very accepting of and probably feared the wolves.

There was one, however, that made his way towards us. I could sense nothing in the air but judging from the tensed expression on Kihyun’s face and Wonho’s sudden eagerness to hide Maia behind him was all I needed to know that this anonymous man spelt danger.

He moved in with so much speed I have no idea what exactly happened during the time I flinch with my human pace. What I see the next scene was that Kihyun has a hand on one of my wrist, grasp tight and dominating and then this stranger guy has his hand around the other wrist of mine, very hurting.

I turn to look at Maia out of instinct and she lay feebly on the ground. Wonho knelt down beside her and hugged her tightly in his arms. My heart stopped beating for a moment and fear consumed all the hope I have had before coming over to this magical world.

The other fey and fairies in the room started cornering around and all of their gazes were directed to this one man that had ruined the peace. I can’t read their intentions because they have no expression on their faces but I know a fight will happen if anyone moves. The old man from before rushed over and cleared his throat, this anonymous man then looks around in realization and then with a smirk, he releases my hand with a little throw,

“I see you have not marked her.” He says it in a sing-song manner that agitated Kihyun further and walks off to the exit as though nothing has happened.

Silence grew but questions were multiplying. The rest of the creatures in the room left without a word but it was obvious to understand the meaning of sorrow in their eyes. Wonho carried Maia and the old man lead us to a room in the second floor.

“Mr. Effinder…” Wonho says with a trembling voice.

I have never seen Wonho like this. Maia’s limbs swing lifelessly as Wonho brought her to the bed and I had to stop myself from staring because the thought of death is too revolting. And it is all the more agonizing to know that it happened to a dear friend of mine.

“She’ll be fine.” The old man says. “It’s not a strong one.” He reassures.

Wonho sinks to the ground upon hearing what the old man says. My breathing hasten at the thought of Maia and her smiles, her cheerful and mischievous personality. Tears threaten to flow but I blinked them away, I wouldn’t want the others to worry.

Kihyun gave Wonho a squeeze on the shoulder and he replies with a nod.

As the old man gives Maia some magical healing, I notice his frequent stare directed to me. And then as if on cue, the old man says with all heaviness, “Kihyun, it’ll be best to put extra attention on the other girl.” The old man points his bony finger at me.

“Mr. Effinder.” Kihyun hesitates, stealing me a glance. “You don’t assume, he’ll be back… for her?”

The old man took in a deep breath, “We’ve just made this the most exciting game in his life.”

“We got to stop him!” Wonho slams the cardboard beside him with his fist and the wood shattered from his strength. “We can’t let Youngk pose a danger to us. He almost got Maia killed!”

With that said, I apprehend what the future lies and who I’ll probably be facing…

*

*Semper Paratus means Always Ready in Latin*

It was hard typing this chapter because I didn't want to show too much interaction with the new character, Youngk, yet. I have a few choices for the new character and finally decided to be Day6's Youngk because I think it fits my story plan so far. Thank you for staying and I read all the comments. Thank you for the warm words :)

P.S Do let me know if you would like me to remove the pic.

Kihyun

YoungK