Chapter 02

No Mercy

“My name is Wonho.” He smiles and very calmly walk towards us, towards me in particular. “What’s yours?”

He stood towering me just a step away and I could feel all the eyes on me and my sudden cowardice. I remember the first slave condition and rule we have learned in order to serve well.

A question asked is to have an immediate answer presented.

“Ara.” I say in the midst of the awkward silence. “My name is Ara.” I repeated unnecessarily.

He grins and I watch those white and tidy row of teeth showing. I virtually tremble because of the strange feeling this household, or rather these people makes me feel. I can’t explain what it is but it is strange in a magical way. I know I don’t make sense and therefore I shut all of my thoughts and hid it all the way deep down my heart and remind myself not to reveal my views. Because slaves are not bound to opinions.

He, by the name of Wonho, then walks away and stood beside another guy that expresses nothingness on his face or his gesture. He simply shows a solemn look on his face and mutes himself whenever Wonho speaks to him in murmur, nodding his head time to time.

The butler came back, his bony and wrinkled hands were holding onto what I deem it as tags. The selection is about to start and my guts told me to behave differently than we are taught. There is something off with these people that are going to be our ‘masters’. I watch Maia and the other girls, obviously delighted to work under such fine-looking young masters.

I am suddenly in fear of my future. Wouldn’t it be better to starve a little rather than getting mistreated again? But I’m in deep thoughts because what if this household could bring a change? It’s a 50 to 50 chance.

Maia elbows me this time round. I’m panicking and she ogles me with the corner of her eye. “Smile…” She hisses at me in frustration but the smile on her lips were still there.

The butler pass the tags to the two young men and I could easily make out two. One for Wonho and the last one for the other master.

Only two would be selected and I believe I’m not the only one that seems to have observed it. The girls straighten their backs, chin down so as to show submissive like what we are exactly taught to do so. Maia on the other hand was too excited she couldn’t contain her joy to herself and she fidgets every now and then due to the anticipation.

I feel like quitting this, I won’t be able to get into the selection anyway. It’s 2 out of 10 and the percentage of getting selected is so low I might as well fail this totally.

Wonho and the other master approaches us, each of them from two different sides of our standing row. Wonho on the right and the other master coming down from the left. I look as blasé and unbothered as best as I could. I could only hope I don’t regret it.

“Kihyun?”

Wonho speaks and I am suddenly surprised to see one standing in front of me, the tag in between his fingers and as if cuing me to receive it. Wonho walks over too, “Kihyun?” He calls out and I am absurdly swirling in my mind to realize that I have been chosen by one of the master with the name Kihyun. I watch, frozen on my spot not daring to move, as Kihyun nods to confirm his choice.

Wonho smiles and he move pass us and handed Maia the last tag. Maia in contrast, bow and grin a huge one before receiving the tag with both of her hands as a form of respect and gratitude.

I took a step back. This resulted to a lot of gasps and angry glares from the rest of the eliminated girls. There must be something wrong with me to rebel. It is not in my thought or my plan neither is it in my blood to even consider rebellion. But this! I don’t know anymore, I feel doomed.

Kihyun took a step forward too, standing way too close to me I could literally feel the warmth that’s spreading. I dropped my chin down to avoid any eye contact, secretly in prayers.

I feel so small standing to a big giant and this scares me more than anything. I hear a soft growl, was it myself? No it definitely isn’t. It’s from Kihyun and I shudder irrepressibly. I’m probably losing my mind and I regret every inch of my actions for rejecting. I swallow nothingness and I feel so parched.

Kihyun brings the tag to my hand that is quivering on my side. I know I’m trapped and captured. I have no more words but to obey and receive it. And so I do, very cautiously receiving it. Kihyun smirks, I could literally hear it and then he walks away, with Wonho on the other side and left the hall.

“What was that!?” Maia chastise in a soft whisper.

“I don’t know.” And I actually mean what I said.

I wasn’t spared of generosity forgiveness but came face to face with the senior maiden and I was reprimanded for my actions. Of course I was considered lucky enough to have escaped punishments from our new masters.

The eliminated ones left along with the senior maiden. That is how it is. Eliminated ones are back to square one with only maize as their food source for the next period until a new household comes with the government’s approval to hire. And that is unpredictable because you never know if the period ranges from days to months or even to years.

The butler took us around and said nothing about our work. It was merely like a tour. It was obvious Maia and I were not accustomed with a different working style as compared to our previous households. We exchange dumbfounding glances when we realize there were a lot more maidens in this household.

Why are we required?

We never asked because it is not our position to ask so. We were given a good amount of time to shower and a drawer of new clothes. We felt different with the way we were being treated. It was new and to be honest, very pleasant. But as good as it seem, it is suspicious of them to treat us so.

Maia and I had to be separated. Not far, we were simply located into different rooms a small distance away. The butler sent Maia off first and I watch and listened to the instructions the butler gave.

“Serve your master with pride and respect. That is your responsibility.”

That is… rather brief. We were expecting more, expecting tougher works that required physical and mental endurance.

With a knowing nod from Maia, I reply her with a curt smile. The butler then guide me to my respective location. “Serve your master with pride and respect. That is your responsibility.” He repeats and I bow.

He sees me enter before the door is closed with a soft and low click. I feel so lost. I have no definite instruction after getting hired. This is new, very new and I don’t like one bit of it. It is too skeptical.

I scan the room. It is literally a house of its own and I am once again, in awe of the luxuriant vibe it gives. There is something seriously wrong, I feel it but I can’t pinpoint what it is. Without further instructions, I stood in daze, not knowing what to do.

“Hello…?” I called and was returned with a few more seconds of silence. I took a step forward, and then three more and then all the way to the end of the room. There is no one but another door right where I stand.

I hadn’t notice it when I came in.

Uncertain about who and what, I decided to find out myself. So I opened the door without knocking and stumbled with a jolt when Kihyun stood right there, as if he has been waiting for me to do so.

I bow apologetically to him for intruding. And I couldn’t bring myself to hold my head up. I’ve made a mistake, I know it and he knows it too. But what surprises me was, he didn’t point it out nor did he reprimand me.

Kihyun simply walks off. “That’s your room.” He points to the one he just walked out of and sat on the bed. It took less than a second for me to comprehend my situation.

I’m living with kihyun, in a room that’s within his room. 

*