Chapter 01

No Mercy

As a slave worker, it is no doubt the dream of these girls including myself to work under the wolves’ territory. We know the wolves are legend and legend never exists, or at least not at our times. Still, we embraces the hope of working under the wolves because then, slaves that rank the lowest at the society classes can be looked up with respect that are created by fear because of the tremendous power the wolves have in the society.

Since the start of our government many years ago, the wolves have gone into disappearance and stories are the only remaining memories that teaches young children about these history where humans defeated the wolves and were awarded with the lives that we have now.

“We defeated those inhuman beasts!” The adults would say, with a wooden stick on one hand, raised high up in the air to get the attention and agreement from passerby. I belittle these humans that commented on their own pretense courage. And all the more, I detested the government’s inability to bring fair judgment to the people of its society.

To date, the work as a slave involves only women and are regarded as legal. Orphans like myself were the first to be registered as slaves if adoption were to fail at the age of five because they deem children six years and above having the capability to think and rebel.

Others were sold because their families were too poor to feed another mouth and the government were never despised despite of all the happenings that were occurring to its own people. The problem, still lies with the people and their beliefs.

However, many wise elderly that lived beside our hut would tell us stories about the wolves. Their almighty stories and how they came to fight the current government long time ago in an attempt to bring fair and peace to the people – us – but failed and were long gone hiding. Some mentioned that the wolves are planning for a revolution and that no long after, they will be back to help the poor like us and bring the country to peace living. While some, told us to swore in secrecy not to reveal that the wolves are actually living among us humans without getting caught because of their ability to shapeshift.

But stories are still stories and we listen in awe but never in complete trust. We have never seen it with our eyes and in a realistic world like ours, we can never believe something we hear and that is also a way to protect ourselves too.

Slaves like us have typically no say in whatever the government decides to act. Plans for the country were voted or participated by people that were ranked higher in the society lines such as officials or families affiliated to the government and lastly by elderly that contributed to the building of our nation.

But this, on a pretense was to appease the poor and feign generosity in letting the people believe that everyone could have a say but in real, it is not. Pretense is still a pretense and the government could lie to some but definitely not all.

I wish for the wolves to be back. Because deep down in my heart, I wanted to witness their bravery and their might, to witness their beauty and to befriend them with sincerity and hopefully bring justice to people like myself.

Slaves are not entitled to a household forever. And we, live in different households by selection of our temporary ‘masters’ every now and then for a period of months. Sometimes with the approval of the government, by years.

We move every now and then. Those that aren’t selected by the household masters would live in a hut made for slaves in the village. But it also meant a short of income and I would have to survive by serving the elderly in return of a very small amount of maize to fill my stomach for the day.

Today, we are lined up in the hut as announced by our senior maiden that is in charge of us. When we are told to line for attendance, it simply meant work is here and we are to prepare ourselves to seem presentable to the new household that will be hiring some of us.

“Ara.” My name is called and I have to turn up tomorrow to wherever it is, I have no idea but curiosity has never been a part of our worry because the work has been the same. Two extremes of getting mistreated in the selected household or getting the best respected treatment. But the latter rarely happens because slaves were seen as people with bad life that deserves the worst and that our lives were probably not much better than a dog’s life.

A few other names were called too and the number is a lot more than the usual. But only a few would be selected on the spot. And the rest that were eliminated means a few more months of lesser income to feed themselves.

I pack my own belongings, consisting of a few clothing, utensils and a few books that I keep for my own entertainment.

“Ara, have you got the address?” Maia, another one of the slave asked me.

“Yes.” I simply answered.

“Don’t you find it weird?”

“Do you?” I my head to the side. The address seems perfectly fine and I am rather surprised to observe an excited look on her face. “And why is that?” I asked.

“The address!” She exclaimed. “Isn’t this the same location as mentioned by the elderly whenever they tell the stories?”

I pause. I breathe and calm myself down. Then smile. “Maia. You don’t supposedly mean the legend?”

We are not allowed to name the wolves directly because the government has stated that the wolves are merely stories that never existed and that stories of their might are passed down by betrayers of the nation in an attempt to wreck the peace and harmony now.

But judging from the life that I live in, I would choose to believe in the wolves because at the very least, it has got hope in it.

“Yes. The wolves!” She lowered down her volume and pronounced the legends with interest.

I shush Maia by elbowing her. It would do no good if the senior maiden or somebody else overhears it and reports our name to the authority. Maia and I aren’t the closest in our clique but since we’re selected to the next household we’re posted, we traveled together to which this address brings us to.

A simple but huge mansion that could easily crash our hut back in the village. This was our exact thought when we arrived. There were a total of ten of us and both Maia and I know that a few would be sent back. We couldn’t really help but have the urge to look good in order to present ourselves well to get selected. A house this splendid would definitely bring more income.

We were told to wait, the ten of us standing in the shimmering hall after the butler – I assume so – told us to. I glance around in awe, I am indeed mesmerized by something this grand but it irks me at the same time. I guess this household has affiliate itself with the government too. No chance would it otherwise have access to such glorious assets.

The hall stretches itself to a row of stairs that leads to the second level and as silent it may be, any small sound would ring loud. Footsteps were heard coming towards us and I make out not one but two people. The steps were light and calm, rhythmic but in contrast, I was feeling tensed and worried.

I turn to watch Maia, she smiles her best one and has her eyes glued to our ‘masters’ to-be. Her eyes glimmer and I could only shake my head after the reminder that she’s still obsessed with the possibility that this belonged to the wolves.

The footsteps stopped and I turn as well.

Two man, very presentable and tall. Very well built too. Not like any of the ones we have served before. But you never know if a knife hid itself behind those good looking faces. I could literally hear the swoons from the rest of the girls and I swallow with disgust as I stare eye on with one of them.

“My name is Wonho.” He smiles and very calmly walk towards us, towards me in particular. “What’s yours?”