Chapter 05

No Mercy

For a moment, I contemplate if these were lies made by herself. But I can’t bring myself to doubt her after looking how sincere and deep in thought she’s in. “Maia.” I say as sternly as I could sound. “This assumption of ours must never be known by any others.

She wiggle her brows at the end of my sentence, her eyes smiling in mischief. “I knew you believed in the wolves too.” The words probably meant nothing to her but I scan the corridor for any presence of any other that could be observing and eavesdropping our conversation.

Maia knows my worry and she pats my back two times to give assurance nothing will happen even if wolves were mentioned by us. I am speechless with her attitude and how lightly she see of this situation.

One, we could be punished severely just because of a word that has no absolute existence. Two, I didn’t want to deny her immediately because to be honest with myself, I do affiliate a part of it to the legend after hearing Maia mentioning about the kingdom’s dungeon.

That night, I sat at a corner of my room. There are just too much in my mind and most of those just revolves around the legends and Kihyun. The picture frames, the maps and the yellow stars drawn all over it. Before the talk with Maia, I would never ever have associate those with the wolves. I know how ridiculous it is after reminding myself that legends are called legends for a reason. Because they do not exist now even if they do so decades ago.

My stomach grumbled just then and it must be time for a meal but there were no instructions and Kihyun isn’t back yet. I draw the curtains away and notice how the street lamps are on to brighten the darken night.

I decided to go look for Maia, taking the opportunity since our masters aren’t back yet. Perhaps I could scan Wonho’s room too and check for myself if Maia words were trustworthy. It wouldn’t make sense to believe her everything since she has entered Kihyun’s room this afternoon and might have already spotted those picture frames and map by herself.

No, another part of my conscious screams.

I shook my head to clear away the thought of scanning Wonho’s room. That is insane and definitely not something I am allowed to do. The occurrence of wolves and its absurdity has been repeating too much in my mind and I’m afraid I might go crazy because of it.

I left my room and stood just a step away from the main door of Kihyun’s room. Ensuring there’s no sound outside, I pull the door open with cautiousness.

Kihyun stands with his back hunched as if in pain and very grimly stares down at me and I knew I wouldn’t be able to escape the same ill-fated life I’m destined to go through. It’s as though he has been waiting for me and the look on his face just scares me.

I stood aside, the door wide open for him to enter. My story starts here and I knew the beatings and punishments for leaving my room without instructed were a matter of now or later.

“I’m sorry.” I whisper the apology even though I know it’s of no use to say so. I always say it in hope for a less severe beating. Kihyun walks over to his bed and I notice how slow he’s moving, he has his hands on the side of his waist clutched tightly. Like he has lost this energy and agility I’m accustomed to him having. He sits on his bed and says nothing but winces in silent which alarms me even more because I have no idea what goes on in his mind and what exactly has happened to him.

“You don’t have to apologize.”

I freeze for a second before regaining my senses and I figured he’s talking to me. "Is this how slaves are treated?” He asked his question with a soft and weak voice and I stood still without giving any response. “Ara…” He says and walk towards me with obvious difficulty. “You need to speak up so that I can help you.”

“You can’t.” And I’m being honest here. “The government and you rich people are the cause of it.” It’s like a heavy stone is being lifted up from my frail shoulders after I said this awfully true yet regrettable sentence but when my eyes went to Kihyun, I knew his tense posture said likewise.

I had to move myself away from him due to the many painful experiences I’ve had from the households I served previously just because of the words I say. Kihyun is mad, really mad and I could hear him growl. Very soft but so impactful it hurts everything of mine to not scream right at this moment. I would be better off the torture if he punishes me right then instead of piercing me slowly with those glares and those incredibly sharp teeth of his.

I must be crazy to imagine the impractical.

He recoils out of nowhere from his frustrated self as if realization hits him and look at me. Kihyun pants and winces from pain and I shudder with the chills that appeared all of a sudden in this room. I trace my vision along the lines of his chin down to his neck to notice him sweating profusely when the room is nowhere warm.

“Kihyun…?” My whisper is low and soft because I called his name simply just to ensure he’s fine although I know there is something noticeably wrong with him after he came back. He does not answer but turns to hunch his back and barely supporting himself with his hands on his knees. “Kihyun.” This time, I tried calling his name louder and bolder. I went forward and place my hands on his back. This intimacy is heavily discouraged but I couldn’t help myself to get worried with him behaving out of his usual self.

My palms were wet and I thought I was sweating out of fear but it was covered red and the color so striking, I gasp, the blood comes from Kihyun. Kihyun stagger back and forth, as if he is ready to fall anytime and I held him out of instinct. The door is thrown open not longer than a second and Wonho came rushing in, with several fresh bruises on his face.

Maia stood beside him with a look of worry and we exchanged eye contact without knowing why. Everything happens in a flash and Kihyun is now lying on his bed while Wonho towers me with his height.

“I need you to stay with him tonight.” He pants. “Will you?” The look on his face forces me to reply with a short nod and I immediately scurried over to attend to Kihyun. “Maia, could you get some refreshments for Ara?” Wonho orders and Maia ran out of the door with loud stomps that echoed along the long and empty corridor.

I didn’t dare ask why and what happened. All I did was worry about the frown on Kihyun’s face. His eyes were shut with force and his hair almost wet from his own sweat. This Kihyun before me appears so weak now, he’s like a different person I know from the start. My hand unknowingly places itself on his forehead and my anxious heart just drops further due to the concern.

Wonho watches me all this while and it is only because of a sudden movement from his that awaken me and I gave myself a warning that I’m not supposed to touch my own master this way. Very slowly, I retrieve my hand and look at Wonho with fear.

He smiles anyway and shook his head, perhaps a way to tell me he doesn’t mind a bit of my actions. I don’t know but I didn’t move an inch afterwards until Maia came back with the refreshments.

The room reek of fresh blood and sweat, I knew we had to get his injuries treated first before too much blood is lost. “His wounds, should be treated in the hospital.” I say meekly.

“No need.” Wonho freezes the atmosphere once again with his words. “It’ll heal.” Wonho left after taking a good long look at Kihyun and Maia left too, pointing to the tray of snacks she places beside my feet before closing the door.

The door shut with a small click and I sat so very still on the bed, Kihyun lying beside me. I can never understand Wonhos words. The fact that he requested me to stay beside Kihyun is one thing. But what about his words that mentioned about healing? And Maia… doesn’t seem surprised at all. She would not have missed it, the word heal.

I shook my head, I’m exhausted from having so much crazy thoughts. I turn to look at Kihyun. The frown above his eyes no longer there and I could at the very least put down the worry I had for him.

It is then I start questioning myself if everything Wonho said is possible. And about Maia’s guesses regarding the legends. I wanted to see for myself if it’s true. My heart thumps so loud I could hear it as though it’s just beside my ear. Not wasting any other second, I draw my fingers nearer to his back, the closeness we currently share seems so deadly yet so… indescribably good.

Kihyun stirs and whispers, “I wouldn’t have resisted myself if I knew you were so bold.”

*

Thanks for staying :)