f i v e

Beats of Silence
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"Oh, Yoora, honey, please bring those floweres too. I have to bring them with me," her grandmother urged her to take the vase from the window. 

Yoora huffed but grabbed the vase of flowers anyways and headed over to her mother and father, who were helping her grandmother pack her things up. After many weeks, her grandmother was finally able to leave with permission from her doctor, which was a dream of her grandmother's, or it used to be anyways. Yoora wasn't sure how good she felt about her grandmother being discharged. Although the hospital deemed it fine for her to go home, Yoora thoguht she only looked worse and worse everyday. "You know that we can always buy you the same bouquet, right?"

Her relationship with her grandmother wasn't easing up either. In fact, they seemed to be growing more distant, but that was way beyond Yoora's worry right now. What Yoora was most worried of right now was that her grandmother seemed too unwilling to go home even though she didn't say anything. Usually, her grandmother would've been delighted and filled with joy, but today, she felt rather dull and plain. It seemed almost as if her grandmother didn't want to leave.

"Of course, I know that, honey," her grandmother smiled and took the vase from Yoora's grasp. "It's just that these flowers are so much more meaningful. After all, Jinyoung gave them to me, and who knows when I'll ever see him again."

Yoora didn't speak and averted her attention to the flowers instead.

"Hey, Munchkin, can you please check the room to make sure we didn't forget any of your grandmother's things?" Her father asked of her. Yoora obliged in doing so and quickly searched the room.

Munchkin was just a nickname her father had been calling her since she was young. Rather than hearing her father call her Yoora, she was always used to Munchkin, and from her father, she preferred being called that than her very own name, because it gave her a sense of familiarity and comfort. Only her father was allowed to call her that though; she didn't allow anyone else to call her that, not even her mother.

"I think this is it," Yoora announced as she made her way back to her parents.

"Alright. It's time to go home then," her mother smiled happily.

Yoora's parents helped her grandmother out of bed as Yoora took the vase away from her, holding it carefully, not wanting to drop something that meant a lot to her grandmother.

They made their way out of the hospital when they met the male Yoora didn't want to come face-to-face with.

"Park Jinyoung!" For the first time that day, her grandmother's smile was filled wih sunshine. "You're here very early for your volunteer hours! That's very unusual."

Jinyoung grinned and bowed to the elders. "I had to come in early, or else I wouldn't have been able to see you off."

"Oh, you didn't have to come!" Her grandmother urged him to come towards her in which he did. She grabbed his hands and patted them gently. "Thank you for keeping me entertained while I stayed here. I owe so much to you."

"No need to thank me at all, Mrs. Baek. I'm glad you enjoyed your stay here." Jinyoung gave another of his bright smiles. 

Baek was the surname that Yoora's grandmother had always gone by. She had heard from her parents that her grandmother had been married twice, and Baek was the surname of her first husband while Song was the surname of her second husband, which was the biological father of Yoora's mother. Yoora had always wondered why her grandmother didn't change her surname, but she never questioned, because she knew her grandmother must've had a good reason for not doing so.

Jinyoung turned to face Yoora's father who he was meeting for the first time. "You must be Mrs. Baek's son-in-law, husband of Mrs. Song and father of Yoora."

"Yes, I am," her father questioned the younger's actions.

"It's nice to meet you, Mr. Song," Jinyoung greeted with another bow. "My name is Park Jinyoung. I'm a regular volunteer here at the hospital."

"It's a pleasure to meet you," her father nodded with a grin as he reached his arm out to pat Jinyoung's shoulder. "Thank you for taking great care of my mother-in-law and the patients around here also. I'm glad there are young men like you who still do these kind deeds."

"Don't mention it." He gave his signature smile. "I love volunteering here. All the patients are very kind and welcoming, such as Mrs. Baek. It's saddening that she's being discharged already, but on a brighter note, I'm glad that she's feeling much better now."

"I wouldn't have been able to last even a night here if it weren't for you young ones," Yoora's grandmother laughed as she patted Jinyoung's hands one last time before letting go.

Yoora caught onto her grandmother's words and questioned. *Young ones. She used plural, so there's more than just Jinyoung himself?*

"We should get going now. Dad still has work, and mom has a meeting she has to go to. I have to go to an interview too, and if we don't leave right now, all three of us will be late," Yoora spoke rashly. To others, it may seem as if Yoora didn't enjoy that Jinyoung was getting the spotlight, but to Yoora herself, that was barely the problem. She could care less about Jinyoung and this situation right now. She was really just worried about being late.

Her mother gave her a glare as if to say that Yoora was being rude. Her father didn't seem to approve of her words either. Yoora's grandmother didn't even glance at her; she had no idea what her grandmother thought of her words, which Yoora had to agree, did seem quite rude.

Jinyoung, for the first time since seeing them, made eye contact with Yoora, and for a split second, his smile faded, but he picked it right back up when he averted eyes and spoke. "You all seem so busy today. Yoora's right, you guys shouldn't be standing here. talking with me or else you guys will be late. I'm sorry, I didn't know."

"It's not your fault at all," her grandmother shook her head, "So don't be sorry. I hadn't known my family would be so busy on the day of my discharging. It was my fault instead."

"It's not your fault, mother," Yoora's mother lightly nudged her.

Yoora grimaced and sighed. "And we'll really be late if we try to figure out who to blame for keeping us waiting. Can we just leave now?"

"Song Yoora," her mother hissed.

"Okay, I'm sorry," she apologized with a slight roll of her eyes, "But really. We need to get moving. I don't want to be late."

After bidding goodbyes, Yoora's parents went ahead with her grandmother, but Yoora, herself, was held back when Jinyoung called her name.

"What are you going in an interview for?" Jinyoung wondered as he looked her in the eyes, a playful smile playing on his lips.

"A part time job," she replied, getting ready to leave when he reached out and stopped her. She gave him a questioning gaze.

"Do you think you can push that till later or at a later date? I want to talk to you." He pulled his arm away to give Yoora her personal space.

Yoora closed her lips into a thin line, half wondering what he was wanting to speak about and half wanting to get to her interview.

"Yoora, honey, aren't you coming?" Her mother came back for her.

Yoora looked from Jinyoung to her mother, then responded, "Yeah, I'm coming. You go first, mom."

Her mother left once again, leaving Jinyoung and Yoora alone.

Yoora looked back at Jinyoung. "Sorry, I don't think I have anytime today." She tried on a lop-sided smile, although it ultimately failed. "Maybe another day, if you're lucky enough to meet me again."

Jinyoung sighed in defeat but grinned anyways. "I'm usually un

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter