t h r e e

Beats of Silence
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

It had almost been a month since Yoora threw her "Facts about Vampires" book, Vampire's Time, away. Since the night she threw it away, she never looked for it again, knowing that it belonged to where she had placed it. When there were news that came up about a vampire attack, Yoora pushed them aside. They weren't important to her anymore, especially when she came to realize that those news reporters never did have any solid evidence other than assumptions.

The CCTVs they used for footage was too blurred and it was possible that those people were attacked by other humans. There were no puncture wounds that proved it was a vampire attack. There were no evidence other than the CCTVs and the victims themselves. Victims couldn't always be so truthful when they were in front of cameras. In fact, some always did the opposite for fame.

"Yoora, honey, what is this?" Her mother asked from the kitchen. 

Yoora set down the fictional romance book in her hands down onto her bed and walked into the kitchen where she saw her mother holding up the book she didn't care for anymore. "It's a book."

"I know that. So what is it doing in your trash bin?"

Yoora shrugged, not giving a slight care to the thick object in her mother's hand. "I just don't want it anymore. Why are you going through my trash? You can just throw everything into our main trash, bring my bin back, and take the trash out, like you always do."

Her mother frowned at her statement. She placed the book on the counter and tied the trash bag. "It's a book. You shouldn't be throwing books away. That's very disrespectful to the author of the book. Plus, it would be a waste of money. Didn't you buy that book for thirty-some dollars?"

"I did buy the book for a costly price, but I didn't like it." She stopped her mother from knotting the trash bag and threw the book back into the trash before tying it back up herself. "It's supposed to be a book of facts, but the author wrote white lies about vampires in this book. Therefore, it's a trashy book, and I'm just putting it where it belongs."

"Honey." Her mother's tone sounded that she wasn't approving of her daughter's choice of words and her choice to throw such a costly book away. 

"It's okay, mom. I won't be throwing away anymore books away in the future. This one is the first and will be the last. I promise." She gave her mother a smile before picking up the trashbag and heading outside with it."I'll do you the honor of throwing it away. Can you do me a favor and bring my trash bin back to my room? Thanks, mom."

Yoora stepped out of the house into the scorching hot sun with the white trash bag in her hands as she dragged it to the trash can that stood at the end of her lawn. After throwing it away, she quickly ran back inside, wanting to feel the cold air hit her to refresh her and to remind her why she chose to stay inside rather than going out to meet friends.

It wasn't too long after throwing the trash away that she came out to see her mother putting on her shoes with a lunch box in hand.

"Mom, where are you going?"

"Your grandma said she's getting sick of hospital food, so I'm just bringing her something fresh to eat. Do you want to come along?" Her mother stood by the door and waited for her answer.

Yoora pursed her lips into a thin white line and debated. It was way too hot to do anything outside, and she felt as if she would be burned alive if she stayed outside for any longer than five minutes. On the other hand, she was going to visit her grandmother, and that was something she hadn't done in a while. It wouldn't hurt too much to give her a visit. "Yeah, I'm coming along."

She made her decision. 

 

Yoora sighed heavily as she tapped her foot on the floor, sitting and waiting patienty outside of her grandmother's hospital room.

The second they got to the hospital, her grandmother asked that she stepped out because she had things to tell Yoora's mother. Being very close to her grandmother, Yoora was quite upset that whatever secret she was spilling to Yoora's mother wasn't going to be told to Yoora herself. The secret wasn't the problem, but it was the fact that Yoora felt as if her grandmother had suddenly lost trust in her.

Was it because she hadn't been visitng quite as often as before?

Was it because Yoora didn't bring home made food anymore when she came to visit?

Whatever the reason was, Yoora didn't want to know. She just wanted to know the secret too, or at least to feel as if things between her and her grandmother would be okay. That was a given already though, that they would be okay, because Yoora knew her grandmother couldn't do such a thing. Their close relationship was stronger than the superglue that could hold  two pieces of paper together.

"You're empty handed today."

Yoora looked to her left, and her breath hitched for a slight second. *It's him!* Although she was surprised, her reaction now, compared to when she first met him, was completely different. She wasn't afraid of him, nor did she back away when he cautiously stepped forward. She just sat there and stared.

"You don't have that book of yours."

Yoora blinked a few times before registering his words. She nodded slowly in response with a quiet, "Yeah".

He merely nodded and stopped in front of the hospital door to her grandmother's room, yet, his gaze never left hers. She, who could no longer stand his intense gaze, turned away. The way his eyes were scrutinizing her was uncomfortable. It was as if he was looking deeply into her soul made her feel exposed.

He softened, his expression relaxed once he was done looking at her. From the corner of her eyes, she could see him light a smile.

"It's getting quieter."

Yoora didn't reply to his strange statement, because she wasn't sure if he was talking to her or not. What he said didn't make sense to anything, and she could've thought him to be crazy for that mere second.

"That's good to know." He took a step forward, and before Yoora could question his action, she felt his hand ruffling her hair in a gentle manner. She was too stunned to push him away or to even raise her voice at him for touching her. "Thanks."

He stepped back and turned away to face the door instead. 

Yoora turned to look his way, and when he knocked on the door, she frowned. Why was this young man going into her grandmother's room?

"You can't go in there," Yoora stated. She stood up and faced him. His eyes questioned her as his brows moved upwards. She also questioned herself why she didn't ask him what business he had with her grandmother rather than telling him that he wouldn't be able to go in.

"Come in." Her grandmother's raspy voice rang from inside the room.

Yoora did a double take. She sure wasn't expecting her grandmother to let anyone in, especially when she didn't let Yoora in for herself. Unless the two adults were done speaking to one another already.

"I just got permission to go in," the young man softly told Yoora.

The look in his eyes were gentle as if he was asking Yoora, herself, for permission to enter the room. 

Yoora frowned and pushed him aside. If anyone were to enter that room, it'd be Yoora first before a stranger. She slid the door open and walked in to see her grandmother sitting up in bed and her mother reading a magazine by the couch. She let out a long breath. It looked as if they weren't even speaking to each other.

"You're here!" Her grandmother's joyful voice rang throughout the room, but Yoora knew that happy greeting wasn't for her, but it was for the person that stood behind Yoora instead.

Yoora felt the vampire behind her bow in response, and the smile he wore, she could just feel it without having to turn to look. He had a strong, beautiful smile. That was something Yoora couldn't deny. 

"Who is this, mother?" Yoora's mother asked as she put down the magazine.

"He's the young man I've been talking about!" Her grandmother urged the vampire to come over, and so he did while giving hesitant glances towards Yoora. 

Yoora didn't wear a happy face, nor did she wear even the most simple smile. She was disappointed; that was the face that she wore.

"The one who's been volunteering at the hospital," her grandmother continued as she took his hands and patted them softly. At the sight of her grandmother's happiness, Yoora could no longer be disappointed. In fact, Yoora softened, and she almost wanted to cry.

She had never seen her grandmother so excited, so light hearted, so happy in a place that she hated most. Even when Yoora came to visit her grandmother at the hospital, she didn't smile as bright, and if anything, her grandmother only whined about wanting to go home to spend more time with Yoora. Right here, right now, with this

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter