t w o

Beats of Silence
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"I don't mean to poke around, but I notice that you've been visiting your grandmother earlier than usual, and you're returning before the sun sets," Yoora's mother spoke cautiously, wiping the table. Their family had just finished eating lunch, and Yoora volunteered to pack food to bring it to the hospital for her grandmother, because lord knows how awful hospital food was.

Yoora slipped on her shoes and tied the laces tightly. "That's a good thing, isn't it?" She picked up the packed lunch on the table.

"Well, it certainly isn't a bad thing, but it's just odd." Her mother glanced at her from the dining table. "I can still recall those small arguments when you told me you like walking out at night better than during the day, or did I hear wrong?"

"Well, people can change," Yoora avoided her eyes and grabbed her keys, wallet, and phone, stuffing the items into her pockets. "I'll be back right after dinner. I'll buy something for me and grandma to eat for dinner. You and dad eat without me."

She headed out the door after hearing her mom bid her bye.

Truth be told, Yoora had been quite cautious since that night. She had feared that if she stayed till night, she would encounter that young vampire once again. She just wanted to make sure that she would never see him again, that was why she had began taking the front entrance when she left the hospital also.

She wasn't taking chances anymore. Her only trusted shortcut didn't feel so safe anymore, and she couldn't trust it anymore. She wouldn't.

Once she reached the hospital, she headed up to the second floor where her grandmother's room was. When she entered the room, she was surprised to see the elder still asleep. A smile crept onto Yoora's face.

"How can you still be sleeping at noon, grandma?" Yoora laughed lightly, but quietly, not wanting to wake her up. She settled down the packed lunch box onto the night stand and the television, although she wasn't interested in looking at all.

Her grandmother didn't like it when it was too quiet. She always woke up with someone making some type of noise; that's just how her grandmother was. She was the type of woman who couldn't stand awkward silences and quiet rooms. Yoora recalled the time when her grandmother told her the reason for it, but it was when Yoora was just a little girl. The memory was vivid. She couldn't remember the reason, but she knew her grandmother needed some type of noise to her awakening.

Yoora looked around the room, examining it thoroughly. There was an odd aura surrounding the room. Something felt slightly off. It was only when she spotted the difference about the room compared to yesterday.

She walked over to the window where the vase of flowers sat diligently.

"I swear the flowers I brought in the other days were red and pink," she spoke to herself, looking at the sudden change of flowers. The flowers in the vase bloomed of greens, blues, and purples. She was starting to think that maybe she had been mistaken. Maybe she had brought in these flowers, unless someone else came to visit her grandmother.

"A young man brought them in," she heard her granmother's soft voice speak up. Yoora turned around and was greeted by the elder, who yawned. "Lord, I'm so tired. What time is it, dear?"

Yoora smiled in return. As expected, tired. Her grandmother was always tired. "It's already half past noon, grandma."

"Already?" But the response wasn't one that showed of surprise. It was usual for her grandmother to wake up around noon anyways.

"I brought you lunch." Yoora walked over to the other side of the bed where the lunch box sat on the night stand. She grabbed a chair from nearby and sat down, taking out the food level by level.

"Oh, you didn't have to come here just to deliver lunch, dear. I could've eaten hospital food." Nonetheless, the elder sat up, ready to eat. "Let me go wash up first."

Yoora helped her get out of bed and into the restroom.

After eating, the two had fun talking of the most random things whether it was about ghosts, beds, music, or books. The one subject Yoora laid off of was Vampires, and she highly hoped that it wouldn't come up, because knowing her grandmother, it was a subject that came up often.

"So I left for the bathroom, and when I came out a minute later, a handsome, young man was standing by the vase. Right there," her grandmother pointed at the vase that sat by the window. "At first, I was really confused, because when the nurse told me that we had volunteers bringing in flowers to every unit's rooms, I had thought it'd be a young woman like you. I mean, boys usually don't like doing these things."

Yoora was touched that her grandmother seemed so happy to talk about this young man from last night after she had left for home. She was thankful to whoever this man was, because

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter