s e v e n

Beats of Silence
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The summer breeze passed by lovingly, softly kissing Yoora's petite body as she sat on the park bench and watched children enjoy themselves on the playground. Children running around, playing tag, some riding the swings, some going down the slide, and some playing house together.

She checked the time on her phone occasionally while waiting patiently for the man who went by the name of Jinyoung.

He had contacted Yoora through text earlier, wanting to meet up. She didn't question the location he had chosen. She was just glad that he chose a place that was filled with many people. She wasn't wary of the fact that he wasn't one of her kind, but he was a male. A man, from a human's view. A beast, if he chose to go that route. It was always good to be cautious with men.

Kai, to Yoora, was a different story. Although he was a man in her eyes, he was also a kid, a harmless one. She knew Kai long enough to know that he'd never hurt her, and seeing the way he treated his ex-girlfriends, she knew well that she was more than safe with Kai. She had nothing to worry about.

If Kai didn't have work today, she would've dragged him with her for protection, but sadly, he did have to go to work. She would've pulled her cousin Damhee along, but after getting to know some of Damhee's views on vampires, Yoora didn't want Damhee to fall for Jinyoung's good looks then finding out that he was a vampire.

That would be a disaster.

Yoora would've contacted some other friends to go with her, but it'd be odd for them as Yoora didn't contact her friends very much, so she came alone.

She brought her arms behind her back and stretched before letting out a long, soft sigh. She came slightly early because she had nothing better to do other than read. It was a nice day and her mother had been nagging her to go out to get some Vitamin D, so she knew this was at least an action to fulfill her mother's wants. 

After the sigh she gave, she picked up her phone when a shadow casted itself over her.

She glanced up, wondering if the man who stood before her was the person she was waiting for. 

"Jinyoung told me to bring this to you," the familiar man held out a library bag filled with what seemed like books. "He said he couldn't make it."

Yoora stared at the male before realizing who he was. The man from the airport, Mark. She stood up and hesitantly took the bag into her hands. "What is this?"

"Books. He said you're wanting to know more about our kind." He tilted his head and scrunitized her face. "He told me about you and who your grandmother is."

Taken aback with his sudden confession, Yoora gasped, just enough to show that she was, indeed, surprised. "You know my grandmother?"

"I'm also a volunteer at the hospital, and I'm quite familiar with her." He took in a breath and breifly smiled. "You're lucky to have her as your grandmother."

It wasn't something that Yoora would expect to come from his mouth. The him today, that he showed, seemed different from the him when they met at the airport, and what was even more interesting now was that she had met another vampire.

He had indirectly admitted to being a vampire.

"Thanks," she muffled, her voice soft. She, too, thought she was lucky to have her grandmother as her very own grandmother. She wouldn't trade her for anything. "By the way, that day at the airport. Did you make it to your flight?"

"I missed it, thanks to you." He didn't sound stressed, which was a good thing. The last thing Yoora wanted was to get him worked up. The last thing she wanted was to get anyone worked up for that matter. "I had to find an excuse to miss that flight, and just as I thought that, you showed up with the drinks."

"And what about your clothes?"

"No stains on them. They're fine. I didn't really care about my clothes. I was just slightly bothered that I was wet the whole ride home, but that was fine." Mark claimed his gaze on her as he looked her up and down when she glanced over at the playground where children ran free.

Silence engulfed them, and while that silence took its place, Mark took that moment to examine her with his eyes.

Without taking notice, he took a step forward as if he was drawn to her. 

There was something about this young lady that seemed off, but Mark couldn't pinpoint what it was exactly. The flow of her blood was running smoothly, gently. There wasn't any clanks or clots. There wasn't any sign of irregular flow from anywhere. She was a healthy person, but what else was it that made things feel so odd?

Yoora took in a breath, and when Mark took a step closer, her eyes immediately shifted to his. Her body froze, and her breath hitched. For some seconds, it was as if she had fogotten how to breathe.

He was just so close, and the way his soft eyes didn't leave hers didn't help her to regain control of her body.

Mark studied her soft, light-brown eyes deeply. Something was off, but he couldn't see it in her eyes what it was that he couldn't seem to catch onto. 

He raised his arm, his soft, long fingers grazed against her rosy cheeks, he realized what it was then that was wrong. The same time he gasped in shock, Yoora did too, and realizing that he had just touched her, creating an astonishing shock between them, she gently pushed him as well as taking a step back to keep a distance between them.

"You don't have..." Mark stopped himself from revealing what he had just found out. You don't have a heartbeat, he thought, still in dazed.

He had remember his grandfather talking about humans that didn't have a heartbeat. Rare ones, he recalled his grandfather telling him. Something about those humans, who don't have a heartbeat, were special. It wasn't that they don't have a heartbeat. They do. It was just that, in this case, specific vampires wouldn't be able to hear their heart beating like they hear every other humans when they share skin contact.

It was Mark's first time encountering such a situation, and he was doing his best to not get excited over anything. He didn't know if meeting this type of human being meant good luck or bad luck. He couldn't remember what his grandfather had said about them.

"Excuse me?" She was taken aback at his actions, and his words were coming out very weird.

He swallowed and averted eyes. "Nothing." He took a quick breath to calm himself, who had just found someone interesting. "I was just talking to myself. Sorry about that."

"Are you alright?" The color from his face seemed to have vanished.

With a swift movement, Mark retrieved the bag of books from Yoora. "You can't read these books."

"What?" Yoora was astonished with his sudden action and his words.

"Jinyoung prepared these books for you, but I didn't agree to it." As if he was trying to find something to say, Mark suddenly brought the bag up to his chest. "He was trying to play a joke on you. He wanted me to give these books to you, but on my way here, I took a look at them. I don't think you should look at them. He just wanted to mess around." He swallowed, slightly stuttering from here to there. He seemed nervous, but Yoora was too confuse to notice that he was making things up on the spot. "You see, Jinyoung can be a ert at times. These books include some of his all time favorite picks."

When Mark finished with a huge gulp, Yoora gasped.

She understood what he was talking about, and she couldn't believe what he had just spouted.

"Are you saying that the books in those bags are... mature?"

Mark brought the bag back down as he avoided her eyes. "I should've known he'd play dirty and dumb like this. I'm sorry for even thinking of giving it to you. I'll take them back and have a talk with him."

"Oh..." It just felt very awkward standing there talking about such a strange subject. Yoora wasn't sure how to react. She was certainly weirded out about the fact that Jinyoung had such a mind, but knowing that the person in front of her wasn't at fault, she didn't know what to say. "Alright, okay."

"I'll see you later. I'm sorry for taking up your time like this." Mark took a few steps back, and when he was sure Yoora no longer knew what to say, he left the park, leaving a dumbfounded Yoora standing alone.

She wasn't sure what she was going to tell Kai, later, when he comes to hang out with her. Hopefully, her nosy boyfriend wouldn't ask what had happened.

Hopefully.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter