s i x

Beats of Silence
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

On such a glorious day, the doorbell rung, having Yoora to answer the front door only to be faced with a bouquet of flowers of many sorts. She gasped in response while Kai smiled diligently.

Immediately, Yoora brightened up. "Flowers. You've turned into a gentleman. Unlike you."

Kai snickered with a roll of his eyes, "These aren't for you. I was just carrying them around."

The sarcasm he played with made her smile as she took them. "Thanks."

It was unusual to see this side of Kai. Yoora knew that this was the treatment Kai gave to all of his girlfriends in the past, so she understood that this treatment towards her was necessary, but it still felt still odd. In the past, she had only been a friend of Kai's, and being a friend meant the nasty attitude she had to put up with. In the past, being a friend literally meant no flowers, no sweet words. It meant having to deal with a jerk, a kid. Yoora wasn't complaining though, because even after putting up with all of that, she still enjoyed being Kai's friend. Aside from books, Kai knew how to make things fun. 

Kai studied her face as she looked at the bouquet of flowers she had just received. He knew well, by looks, that she didn't quite enjoy this treatment. At least she wasn't used to it yet, his guess. "I won't bring flowers in the future. I'm sorry," he apologized with a pout.

"It's okay," Yoora assured him as she invited him inside. "It's your first time, so it's fine."

"I should've known that your taste won't change even after we start dating." Kai's words brought a tint of red shade to Yoora's cheeks as she ushered him to be quiet for her parents and grandmother didn't know anything about them being ain a relationship.

Kai smirked and tilted his head as he took off his shoes. 

"Honey, who's at the door?" Her mother called from the kitchen.

Yoora made a quick answer. "It's just Kai."

She led him to the living room where he greeted her father. 

"Long time no see, kid!" Her father greeted Kai with a shake of the hands.

"It has been a long time," Kai agreed with a chuckle. 

Due to the heavy work schedule of her father's, Kai wasn't able to meet her father much anymore. Kai used to come over a lot during their high school days, but things have changed much since then.

Yoora's father spotted the flowers in Yoora's hand and arched his brows. "What's the flowers for? Is there some special occasion I don't know about?"

Without letting Kai explain, Yoora was quick to speak. "Kai brought it over to congratulate grandma on her return from the hospital! Sadly, she's not here right now. I'll just, um, leave these in my room and give it to her when she comes back."

Kai snuck in an eye roll and laughed, nodding to her words as her father glanced at him. "Yeah. What she said."

"Oh, well that's kind of you, kid," her father bumped Kai's arm. "Anyway, how've you been? Catch me up on things."

Yoora stole a thankful glance at Kai, then made her way to her room where she placed the beloved flowers on the desk.

Kai was right. As much as she appreciated the effort he was putting into their blooming relationship, Yoora really didn't like these cliche things that boyfriends would do to and for their girlfriends at the early stages in their relationships. She had been friends with Kai since the beginning of high school, and throughout their seven years of friendship, she had always seen him repeat the same events with his past relationships. To Yoora, it was seemingly boring, and she always thought they were too cheesy for her sake. In the past, she even joked that if she ever got herself a boyfriend, she would never let him do the things Kai did, and in response, Kai would always say, "You're never getting a boyfriend."

She sighed in relief. "Dad almost found out about our relationship. Thank goodness. Kai's pretty quick on catching up with things."

Just as she headed out of her room, the ringing of her phone caught her attention and she was pulled to answer it. "Hello."

"Oh, Yoora, honey!"

"Oh. Hey, Grandma," Yoora greeted as she leaned onto one side. "Are you done with your visit?"

"Not yet, but in a bit. Why don't you come now so that when I'm done, you're here and we can just leave right then?"

"Right now?" Having Kai here wasn't a problem, but having to leave when he was here was a problem. She wasn't sure if he was going to like that or not. "Can Kai come along?"

"Kai's there?"

"He just got here," Yoora confirmed.

"That's perfectly fine with me! As long as he's okay with that."

"He will be." Yoora thought of the many reactions Kai may have to being dragged along, and a light laugh escaped her lips. "Alright. We'll be there in ten, Grandma."

"Take your time, honey."

Yoora grabbed her wallet and her keys and exited her room where she interrupted her father and Kai's talk. "I'm going to go get grandma. She said she's done."

"Alright," her father replied before turning his attention to Kai again.

A smile painted itself onto Yoora's face, and she pulled Kai up. "This kid's coming with me."

"I am?" Kai questioned with a blank expression. He wasn't informed about any of this.

"He is?" Her father, too, asked.

"Grandma would like it if he did." Yoora dragged him to the door where the two quickly slipped on their shoes. "We'll be back! Don't eat dinner without us!"

Once out the door, they walked hand in hand towards Kai's car. Being the gentleman he was, he opened the passenger's door for Yoora, who thanked him although she was quite uncomfortable with it. Kai quickly noted that. "I'll let you get the door next time."

A short laugh escaped her lips as the door closed, and she buckled herself up with Kai getting in on the other side.

With a quick start of the engine, he began driving to their destination, which was the hospital that Yoora's grandmother once stayed at, as Yoora had told him.

"I didn't know I was supposed to accompany you," Kai joked, his eyes sternly kept on the road.

"Well, you have a car, and I don't feel like walking, so of course my boyfriend hascto come with me." Yoora smiled snuggly. It still felt odd using the word boyfriend when not too long ago, she was putting up with his stupid self who was rebeling against his parents. 

"I feel like you'd rather date my car than me." He stopped for the red light, and while he could, he reached for Yoora's hand and held it in his. She laughed at his comment.

"Could be true," she played with a hint of a smile on her face.

"Do you think you can accompany me to a party?" He blurted suddenly. Yoora in her lower lip and gave it a thought.

"What kind of party is it?"

"A formal party," Kai recalled when he got the information. "It's actually my cousin's birthday party, but it's a formal one. You know how Chen's like. Always so filled with manners."

"Oh, so it's Chen's birthday next week?" Yoora wasn't the type to remember birthdays. There were so few people she was able to even remember, and those people were none other than hers, her father's, her mother's, her grandmother's, and Kai should be glad that she even remembered his. "Hm. I'll give it some thought. When is it?"

"Next week. Friday." Kai, with one hand on the wheel, began driving again when the lights turned green.

"Alright. There's nothing to do next friday, so I might be able to slip in some time for his birthday." She helped looked the streets for Kai as well when she remembered a particular fact. "Wait, isn't Chen in the states for his studies?"

"He is, but he's coming back for his birthday. He wants to celebrate with his parents and his sister."

"That's nice of him." Yoora tilted her head and glanced at Kai from the corner of her eyes. "When is he coming back?"

"Today," Kai informed her with a sweet smile. He had a feeling she would ask.

"Today?"

"Tonight," he corrected his words with a of the breath. "I came over to ask if you wanted to go with me to greet him when he lands."

"So that's why you're over! I was wondering why you came over without informing me." Yoora relaxed with a warm smile. It has been a while since she had seen Chen. It wouldn't hurt to meet him again. "I wouldn't mind coming along. When are we going?"

"After dropping your grandma back at home, we can leave then." He made a smooth, sharp turn with his car. He made a popping noise with his lips. "I have a question."

"What?"

"Are you uncomfortable with letting people know about our relationship?"

"What makes you think that?" She wondered, not minding his question. Yoora had a feeling he was going to ask her that, and she could guess why he wondered that. She didn't know why she even bothered asking him why he thought such things. If she put herself in his shoes, she would've been curious to such things as well about her partner.

"Just wondering. You don't want your parents to know?"

"I'll tell them sometime this week when they're not busy or something. I just don't want to scare them, and I don't want them to find out on their own either." Yoora assured him with a smile and tightened her hold on their intertwined hands. "I'm not scared of letting others know about our relationship. I just haven't had time to tell anyone yet, even though Damhee and some others already found out."

"They did?" Kai was taken back by the quick spread of information.

"Must I remind you of your popularity?" She snuck in a playful eyer roll.

Kai snickered with a smirk, "Oh, right."

They arrived at the hospital shortly afterwards, and Yoora led Kai after her as she entered the all-too familair hospital. They didn't take long to find her grandmother, because she had been waiting not too far away from the entrance. It was her who had found them.

"Yoora, honey. Over here!"

Yoora and Kai turned to the right where they heard her grandmother call for her. Yoora smiled brightly, but that only lasted for so long when she spotted who it was sitting with her grandmother.

Park Jinyoung.

Kai took notice of her quick change of expression, but he didn't say anything and took her by the hand, pulling her over to the elder. He didn't seem to be suspiscious of the young man sitting across from Yoora's grandmother.

"Are you done?" Yoora asked her grandmother politely, avoiding Jinyoung's eyes. She didn't even greet him, but she noticed the small drop in his smile from the corner of her eyes.

"Just about!" Her grandmother stood up with the help of Jinyoung. "It's nice to see you, Kai."

"It's great to see you too, grandmother," Kai greeted with respect.

He had always called her as if she was his very own grandmother. S

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter