f o u r

Beats of Silence
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"Honey," Yoora's mother called from down the hall as she approached Yoora's room. She stood by the doorway and looked over at the young woman who had her nose stuck in another book. "Damhee just called the house phone that she tried contacting you, but you didn't pick up your phone."

Yoora took a few seconds to gather her thoughts before closing her book and sitting up to face her mother. "Of course I didn't pick up. Why would I pick up when I already know what she wants from me?"

Her mother raised her brows in question while she crossed her arms over her chest and leaned against the wall of the entrance to Yoora's room. "How would you know what she needs if you didn't even pick up her calls?

"Because she texted me last week to ask me if she could borrow me for today?" Yoora shook her head and spoke before her mother could respond. "No. I am not going to go help her pack her things and help her move to her new apartment. The last time I did that, I almost broke my arm, and she didn't say sorry for what happened to me nor did she even say thank you for helping her. She hadn't even invited me once to have lunch or dinner with her, and now she wants me to help her move out again? No way. I am not going to go and try to actually break my arm this time, and you won't be able to convince me to go either, so don't even think about it."

Yoora's mother broke into a soft round of laughter. "Oh, honey! You're hilarious, you know that?"

"No, mom. Don't even think about it. I'm not going, and that is final." She opened her book back up and continued reading.

Her mother sighed, a light smile on her face. "Okay, fine. I won't force you to help her out, but at least text her or call her that you won't be able to help her out. I, sorta, told her that you would be there in thirty minutes."

"You what?" Her book was shut closed again, and the distress she found herself receiving from this wasn't necessarily overwhelming, but it was definitely a burden to her. "Mom, why would you tell her that without consulting me first?"

"Honey, if you had told me beforehand, I wouldn't have told her that. Now think of an excuse to tell her, because I'm not going to be calling her back." Her mother gave her a witty smile before she left for her kitchen duties.

Yoora mentally face-palmed and threw her book onto her night stand. She wasn't the kind, polite, go-happy type of people, and she knew that very well, but that didn't mean she wasn't able to be kind or polite. There were just times like these that Yoora hated a lot, because no matter how much she didn't want to take part in it, she did so anyways. Times like these, as in times when she unknowingly goes soft-hearted.

Within thirty minutes, Yoora arrived at her cousin's apartment. She could see Damhee boss her guy friends around as they helped her carry boxes of packed goods into the rented truck. She could make out the stress on the men's faces, and Yoora knew herself that she didn't want to be here anymore.

It  was already to late turn back when Damhee spotted her down the block.

"Yoora!" Damhee screeched excitedly as she ran over to her. "You're here! How wonderful! You came right on time. I just got done packing and we're moving things to the truck now."

"I can see that." Yoora tried hard not to grimace and made her way into the house where the men quietly greeted her. "So where do I start?"

"Oh, darling, you're not going to be moving these boxes, yet." Damhee pulled Yoora into her own room and closed the door, causing Yoora to wonder what the girl had in mind. "I had intended to have you come over to help me, but as I was packing, I came across some of my old things that I didn't need or want anymore." She picked up a nicely wrapped box and handed it to Yoora. "Think of it as a super early birthday present."

Yoora glanced at the box in suspicion, taking it into her hands. "Do you want me to open it right now?"

"That's up to you, whether you want to or not." Damhee smiled greatly, and Yoora knew she wanted her to open it this instant.

"Okay, I guess I'll just open it now." Yoora tore the wrapping paper and opened the cardboard box. What laid inside, waiting for her, wasn't something Yoora had expected. "Damhee, what are these... Odd things?"

"What do you mean odd things?" Damhee smiled and urged her to sit in the floor, taking the box into her hands. "This, Yoora, is a vampire protection kit." She took out the items one by one. "They're mostly composed of real silver because we all know that Vampires can't stand real silver. This is a silver cross necklace. This is the number item we should always carry around with us. If ever we get attacked by a vampire, this will be the number one thing that will help us."

As if Yoora was touching a disgusting object, she took it hesitantly from her cousin's hands. "Are you sure this will protect us?"

"Of course!" Damhee grinned and showed her the other ojects that came with the kit. "This is an onion spray. It works exactly like pepper spray for erts at night, except this is made specifically to keep vampires away, because they hate onion. It can do worse than an allergic reaction. This is onion-scented perfume. I know it probably wouldn't smell any good, but spraying just the smallest bit of it will definitely keep all vampires away. I was told that you can cover up this smell with any other perfumes to keep us humans from knowing you had sprayed anything, but vampires have a very keen sense of smell, so they'll be able to smell the onion stuff and keep away."

Yoora glanced at her cousin. Although Yoora wasn't sure if this woman was telling the truth about this so-called vampire kit, she sure knew it all sounded desperately inaccurate. "Damhee, are you sure these things work?"

"Well, I haven't tried it, but a friend of mine has, and she said it works perfectly, because she has't gotten attacked by a vampire yet." Damhee looked through the box only to have Yoora stop her.

Yoora tried her hardest to not roll her eyes. She cleared . "So you haven't tried or used any of this stuff?"

"I haven't tried the onion spray or the onion scented perfume, but I sure do carry the cross with me."

"If you find it so useful to protect yourself with it, why don't you just keep it for yourself? Why give it to me? It sounds, to me, like you're really convinced that this stuff works," Yoora gave a petite smile. She tried to not sound as if she thought her cousin was insane. It seemed like she played well, because her cousin didn't seem offended at all.

"Look, Yoora, I've heard excellent reviews about this vampire protection kit. Everyone I know, who uses it, says it works, and reading the reviews online, everyone loves it. It's a five-star item." Damhee reached over to a box that she hadn't yet taped up and pulled out a book that was all too familiar to Yoora. "This book. Your mother told me that you've been reading it, so I thought you might want to check this kit out, in case you didn't know about it. The author of this book specifically help prepared this kit for us humans who need protection."

Yoora finally rolled her eyes. The book that Damhee held in her hands was a book that Yoora definitely didn't take interest in anymore. She really did come to believe that most things in the book, if not all, were just plain white lies. The author probably wrote the book and prepared this stupid kit for money. "Did my mom also tell you that I stopped reading that book ages ago, because if she didn't, I'll let you know now. Before I even got to finish that book, I stopped reading it. Everything the author wrote in there were all lies. He only wrote it for the money."

Damhee studied the female's face and drew the book down onto the floor. "How would you know if they're all lies? What if they are the truth?"

"Trust me, Damhee. They're all lies. I mean, most of the facts sound ridiculous anyways." She took the book from her

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter