Chapter 6 - Friends?

Memories

Deciding that the silence can't go on forever, Hyuk started, "Hey. Do you wanna sing some lines too? There's still one week till the deadline. You can sing the chorus. The rest of the lines are kind of a lower-pitch, so I can sing it easier. And of course, I'll be having more lines, right?"

 

Hye Jin stared at him, irritated, "Yeah, sure, sure. But just so you know, my singing skills are aren't all that good--in fact, they're really b-"

 

"Whatever, just get on with it."

 

She walked to the mic, clearing , waiting for her part to come on. She closed her eyes and enjoyed the music. Hyuk had changed the lyrics. It was now the story of a guy who had lost his love, unable to get over her. The past memories of them had been erased, but he still loved her, wanting those memories back.

 

She listened to Hyuk's unexpectedly soothing voice and smiled.

 

The chorus came on. Her lips parted,

 

"Baby bye bye bye
I tried to hold onto you"

 

When Hyuk heard her voice, he instinctively perked up his head. He stared at the girl, wide-eyed and then slowly closed his eyes.

 

"But I couldn’t easily hold you
So I forgot you without even knowing"

 

I heard this voice somewhere before. What-


"Baby bye bye bye
Now I don’t even shed tears
Your eyes, your touch, your everything
They’re being forgotten"

 

After the chorus, it was Hyuk's part again, so she stopped and smiled. Hyuk then immediately took the chance to ask, "Hey, have I ever heard you sing? You sound familiar."

 

Hye Jin vividly recalled the times they spent together singing to one another in the orphanage.

 

"Hyuk! Hyuk! Sing for me! We have to practise if we want to major in music and debut as kpop singers!"

Hyuk looked at the serious-looking girl and laughed, "Why don't you sing first?"

She smiled, "You sing better than me! Your voice is nicer too! Hurry, sing!"

He laughed once again and sang one of her favourite songs that time, Candy, by H.O.T.

 

She smiled at the thought, but then again, remembering the principal's words, what choice did she have? She very badly wanted to tell the guy in front of her, how much she missed the him from the past. And yet, she thought again. The boy in front of her was the same boy from 8 years ago. He was still the boy that started cheering her up. He merely lost his memories in a car accident, was she going to ruin his future just because he forgot? She realised that it didn't matter whether or not he remembered.All she needed was the memories, which were etched into her mind. She knew that, so she just had to do it. She had to tell him a lie. A lie, that can be exchanged with a good future. His future. She looked away, "No, this is my first time singing in front of someone."

 

Hyuk had been stuck with her long enough to notice her bad habit.

 

Bet you didn't think I was the kind of guy who observes. You really can't lie, can you? You looked away, dammit. What are you hiding?

 

He knew that something was off, but looking at her expression, he decided not to ask. He'd figured she had a reason, so he shrugged and told her to prepare for her next line.

 

After recording for a while, Hyuk heard the click of the door handle and turned his head to the direction of Junhyo and his partner, Hana.

 

Hye Jin followed Hyuk's line of sight and instantly, a grin was spread onto her face.

"Junhyo!" she exclaimed as Hyuk covered his ears.

 

"Hey! You're talking with a mic there!" he stated, slightly irritated.

 

She flashed a look of apology as she mumbled a sorry sheepishly, scratching the nape of her neck.

 

"Oh yeah, Hye Jin, why are you guys here?" Junhyo turned to face Hye Jin, "We wanted to come re-record 'cause I felt that Hana needed more lines and I had to improve in my singing too. We were done with the project, so we had time."

 

"Oh, same. Hyuk said that since we still had a few weeks more, we still had time and that I should record something too," Hye Jin explained, walking out of the room.

 

"That's such a coincidence!" Hana said, smiling.

 

And right at that moment, Hyuk being the competitive self he was, spoke, "Hey, I just thought of something great," he paused, "Wanna hear it?"

 

The three of them nodded in unison, curious.

 

He flashed a grin, "What do you say we compete in this project? Like, we record, then send it to Mr Song, then have him choose which team made the better song."

 

The other pair looked at each other and discussed something, then looked back at Hyuk. Their competitive energy could be seen through the change in their eyes.

 

"We're up for it."

 

All eyes instantly turned to Hye Jin. She shrugged, "Since everyone's fine with it, why not?"

 

"Well, then. Let's continue recor-" Hyuk told Hye Jin, but was cut off by a really excited Hana.

 

"Wait! To make it more fun, let's think of a forfeit for the losing team!"

 

After a few minutes of discussion, they all nodded their heads in approval.

 

"Okay, so the losing team shall go onto a busy street and dance to 'Love Equation' by VIXX!" Hana, still the most excited, declared.

 

Hye Jin let out a soft laughter.

She's so enthusiastic.

---------------

Hyuk and Hye Jin were the first to record, since they were the ones who started first.

 

"And so, I didn't realise it for the whole day, but yes, I was so tired, I walked around with my bed hair. No wonder everyone stared. How embarrassing," Hyuk shared about the time in middle school when he was in a camp and he woke up feeling really tired, so he was walking around without even tidying his hair, so he was clueless when there were students started laughing and he only found out when a teacher told him before trying to hold her laughter.

 

"But did you really look that hilarious with bed hair? Come on, mess up your hair," Junhyo requested.

 

"No way in Hell," Hyuk replied.

 

"Aw, I really wanted to laugh at it," Hana whined, which got a "I'm still not messing it up for you" from Hyuk.

 

Hye Jin smiled. I guess Hyuk's still the friendly Hyuk once you get to know him, she mused. He's talking to them as if they had been friends for many years.

---------------

After finishing up with the project, it was finally here. The day the losing team is decided, it's finally here.

 

Hye Jin looked up at Hyuk, "I know this was just a stupid friendly competition you made up, but for some reason, I feel kind of nervous."

 

Hyuk looked slightly offended and gave her a look. He was about to say something like, 'If you thought it was stupid, why did you even agree in the first place?' but he decided not to say that, but instead gently knocked her head, "Have some faith in this team, will you? Didn't you say we made the... the best team? Geez, changing your mind now?"

 

She quickly shook her head in denial, "We do! It's just that I don't know, maybe I'm not nervous, I'm excited," she smiled.

 

Hyuk returned the smile with a small one, "Good."

 

They knocked on the door as they heard a low voice from the other end of the door.

 

"Come in," Mr Song invited them.

 

Walking in, the duo met Junhyo and Hana and all of them smiled.

 

"So, Mr Song, they're here," Hana stated, only to receive a half-joking reply, "Yeah, I know, I can see that." With that they laughed.

 

Mr Song explained, "They've already told me what's happening. I've listened to their song, it's good."

 

He reached his arm out and smiled, "I'm anticipating yours."

---------------

The song ended and Mr Song wore a big smile on his face, satisfied with the sad songs. He looked at the four of them, "They're both really good, I can say, they're both a tie."

 

Then he laughed, seeing the looks on their faces, "But I get it, you really want the other team to suffer public humiliation, don't you?"

 

They grinned at that, knowing that what he said was true.

 

"As much as I love both songs, I mean, really, out of all songs my students submitted to me, these are probably two of the best, really. So, anyway, as much as I love these songs, the winning team and the losing team would have to be chosen right?"

 

They nodded in unison.

 

"There's nothing bad I could point out from the songs, but..."

---------------

[A/N: GUYSSS L HERE HELLO DO YOU MISS US (whispers lets just pretend people know and misses us.) so im really sorry for the late update. once again, as much as i wanted to blame exams, we all know i procrastinate a lot and yup, i only completed it today. im really sorry for the long wait guys, but really, finals start next month, and we were literally only done with our preliminary exams yesterday, so yeah, we can blame exams a little. on a side note, which no one cares, i bet i totally flunked prelims. bye @ me. // YO. Just a little reminder and stuff the chapters will slowly get worse if i don't buck up my planning ( just a note there is this chapter where hyuk will go to the hospital , i think u guys will like that part hehe ; it's interesting yet funny okay ) xD , anyways we hope u guys will enjoy this chapter and the chapters after this ; yes even though we take 2393567023 years to update. Thank You for reading again! Its literally those people who reads our ff who made us continue this ff :3 ]

 

follow our ig ♥

@kpoo.p ; K (plot writer)

@junhohohong ; L (writer) [currently on hiatus]