Chapter 3 - Forget him!

Memories

Staring at the smiling middle-aged lady, she frowned. Why was she here? She didn’t need to be here. She should be at home, getting prepared for school while her father read his newspaper and her mother prepared breakfast.

Oh, wait.

They weren’t there.

Not anymore.

And it was her fault.

 

Her heart broke into uncountable tiny pieces while she shook her head bitterly, letting the tears fall off her face.

She didn’t care anymore.

No one was there for her.

 

Even her closest neighbours and relatives didn’t want to adopt her or let her stay in their houses.

She never thought they would be like that. Hye Jin wiped her tears as the female officer explained her condition to the lady standing by the door of the orphanage. The lady simply nodded, then looked at the 5 year old pitifully.

 

“They were so young… It’s such a pity to have a child whose parents were just in their late twenties.”

The officer nodded, giving Hye Jin the same look, “Right? I feel so bad for her.”

---------------

After arrangements were made and many other stuff were done, that was it.

Hye Jin no longer lived in the cozy little house she called her home.

 

She no longer spent time with her parents.

“What’s wrong with you, Hye Jin? You told yourself to forget about it,” she reminded herself.

Her head spinned as she found herself speaking to herself.

“But it hurts so much. Why can’t I live happily with my parents like other kids do? Daddy once said that our current life is the result of our previous life. Did I do something that bad? So bad that I lost the two most important people in life?”

“Just forget about it, Hye Jin. What’s happened, has happened. Stop it, Hye Jin, stop it, me. Just stop it and stop hurting yourself.”

 

She started sobbing once again. How many times had she cried after that night? It was only two nights after it happened, yet she already felt like she was about to go crazy.

“I’m sorry, Daddy. I’m sorry, Mommy.”

---------------

Hye Jin woke up to a sharp pain in her neck. How long has she slept for? She looked to the front and flinched when she saw another boy about her age, in front of her.

And hit her head.

 

“Ouch… That must hurt. Are you okay?” The boy blinked, worried.

“Does it hurt a lot? Come here, I’ll rub it for you. Oh wait, your neck must hurt too, right? You’ve been leaning your head against the wall for like, the past 2 hours?”

“Past… 2 hours? Wait… Who are you and why were you in front of me for the past 2 hours?”

The boy stared at her, confused, while he gently rubbed the little red spot on the side of her head. Then he finally got her question and started, “Um, no! That’s not it, I didn’t stay here like that for 2 hours. It’s just… When you first entered, you sat in this corner alone and started mumbling to yourself, and I decided to ignore it, considering the fact that it was when you first entered. A while later, you started to drift into sleep and it was 11:52AM. But then even after a while ago, you didn’t wake up and you were in a position where your neck would suffer, so I came to wake you and suggest you to go into the room at the back, but… You didn’t wake up. So I just sat here and waited for you to, so I could show you around. And um, yeah, you woke up and hit your head so I’m explaining this to you. I’m not a creep that stares at someone that’s sleeping for no reason!”

 

Hye Jin blinked at the flustered boy and chuckled, for the first time after the incident.

He smiled, “You finally laughed. I have no idea why you did, but it was good to see you laugh. And to answer your first question, I’m Hyuk.”

 

Perhaps this was what she needed. Up till now, people only showed signs of sympathy and felt sad for her, but no one was clumsy and flustered. No one made her laugh while talking to her. Everyone was serious. She didn’t see anything that was the least bit funny, not even from other kids. When they saw her talking to herself, she knew. They only gave her a weird look or felt pity for her.

She didn’t want anyone to pity her.

She already felt bad enough, she didn’t need any pity. She needed to be strong, but pity from others would only make her feel worse.

She smiled back at him weakly, “Hello. I’m.. Hye Jin.”

---------------

“Hyuk, how old are you?”

“I’m 5.”

“Wait, so you are the same age as me?”

He narrowed his eyes at her, “Can’t I be?”

“Wha-”

“Just kidding. I don’t actually know, too. It’s just that I was found in front of the orphanage when I was very, very, small, and um so there was this wooden tablet that was tied with a red string on my wrist. Apparently, ‘07-05-1995’ was carved on the tablet. I was raised in this orphanage starting from 10th July that year, so that’s why it was my assumed birth date. And beside the date, was carved “Hyuk”. That’s what they decided to call me. It’s now my name.”

He looked around the neatly decorated place, “This orphanage, to me, isn’t just an orphanage. I grew up here. It’s like my home. Ahjumma is like my mother. She takes such good care of me. She’s really kind. She was the one who brought me up. All the kids around here are like my siblings. We’re a big family. But of course, that doesn’t last. At some point, each of them would get adopted. They might be like my siblings, but I’m not very close with anyone in particular, so I’m not very sad. I’ve decided not to bond too deeply with anyone. It would just hurt me in the end. I don’t know if that’s true, but I’ve once thought about it… Except I pictured a real family. A happy family, each member deeply bonded with everyone else. It’s a really beautiful scenario. Then, slowly, one member leaves… And another… And another. And there was only one boy left. I pictured myself. Alone in the picture. It’s really sad. Then I realised, it’s my reality. Just that it’s the other way round. I left the beautiful picture and joined another, with many other kids, and one woman with some other adults. I don’t know the background of my family. Are they good people? Are they bad people? Was my mother single? Or was it my father who placed me in front of the place I know as home? Am I the youngest? Am I the middle kid? Am I the oldest? Do I even have siblings? Do I actually have a complete family? Later, I realised that none of it matters anymore. I don’t have to think about my family. Since they were the one who brought me to my home, I’m thankful, because I’m really happy. I’m glad to have this place as my home, and I’m glad I treat Ahjumma as my mother. I’m living my life happily. Ahjumma said the person who left me in front of the orphanage left a letter, and that she would give it to me after I get adopted. If that’s the case..”

“You don’t want to get the letter?” Hye Jin predicted, blinking at him.

He smiled, “Right. I don’t want to. I don’t mind getting it, but even if I do, what am I supposed to do with it? I would be living with my new family, and it’s not like I would go search for my blood family. I don’t even think I would want to get adopted. Just the thought of it makes me feel sad. I would miss Ahjumma too much.”

Hyuk sighed and pondered, “I wonder what it feels like to get adopted though, besides feeling sad.”

“What?”

He shook his head, “Nah, it’s nothing. So, that’s my story. Do you mind telling me yours?”

Hye Jin gulped. It was the first time someone was asking her for her story. She was only asked for the story of the incident alone. She looked at Hyuk, “It’s a long story.”

---------------

Hyuk stared at her. Most of the stories he heard from the others were that their parents passed on in a car accident, their parents kicked them out of the house, they ran away from home, but none of them were as tragic as Hye Jin’s. Then something came into his mind, “Why would your mother blame you, though? All you did was to go to the amusement park with your family.”

 

Hye Jin left out the part about them going out because it was her birthday. She shook her head, “It is my fault, but I would rather not talk about it. I don’t want to think about it. That day was a dreadful day.”

 

She tried stopping the tears from falling down, but she felt a hand soothingly patting her back, “It’s okay, cry all you want. It’s not a sign of weakness. It’s okay to cry. You’ve been trying to be very strong. I know you did, and you’ve succeeded. You didn’t cry for long, and that proves it. So, cry. I’m here, I won’t make fun of you.”

 

She slid her arms around his neck and started crying. She cried for a whole good 20 minutes while Hyuk patted her head. She was so thankful. Hyuk was warm. She felt comfortable in his arms.

“Hyuk…”

“Hmm?”

“Thank you for being my first friend in my new life.”

He grinned, “No problem!”

---------------

It was the day. The day has come. After 10 short years with Ahjumma and 5 very short years with Hye Jin, it was finally here. He looked down at the floor while the woman he thought of as his mother introduced him to another woman. She smiled as she praised him lovingly, “This boy here, he’s Hyuk. I’m sorry if I’m too deep into your business, but I hope you’ll name him with ‘Hyuk’ as one of his characters when you adopt him. He’s a really good kid. He’s hardworking and looks at life positively. He’s strict with himself, but when it’s time to have fun, he puts on the brightest smile. He is kind hearted, for he helps anyone and everyone whenever he can. He’s really the best of the best, to cut it short. He’s responsible and diligent.”

 

Tears fell off his face. He looked at Ahjumma. The bright smile she had was now replaced with a bitter smile. She looked back at him, “Don’t cry, Hyuk. Be happy with your new family, okay?”

He nodded gloomily, trying to keep up a smile. He looked at his “current mother” and spoke.

“I’m sorry… Mother. It’s just that I’ve had 10 years of memories in this place. I’ve this one friend whom I must bid my farewells to. Please excuse me.”

 

“Hyuk, was it? Your name will now be Han Sanghyuk. You don’t have to be so formal with me. Just as you said, I am your mother,” she said, pleased with his manners.

Hyuk figured she came from a wealthy family, judging from the way she was dressed up. He wasn’t sure how, but he knew he had to gradually get used to calling her his mother.

He didn’t really want to.

---------------

“Don’t forget me, Hyuk. You promised.”

 

“I won’t forget you, Hye Jin.”

 

“Have fun in your new home, Hyuk.”

 

“Should’ve stuck with the ‘not gonna bond with anyone’ attitude. Now the pain is double of what I thought it would be. Stupid letter.”

 

“Hyuk, thanks for everything. I will really miss you.”

 

“I will miss Ahjumma and you now, Jin-ah.”

 

“I should start writing short letters to Hyuk and place them in a plastic bottle, shouldn’t I, Ahjumma?”

The older woman smiled warmly and nodded, “It’s your choice, sweetheart. If you want to, I can provide you with the materials. You guys promised, anyways. You can give it to him in 8 years.”

She smiled brightly, “Thank you, Ahjumma!” She then looked out of the window at the car which was now driving away and her smile faded away, the tears lining up in her eyes replacing it.

 

“Hye Jin, don’t cry because I left. Be strong like you always are.”

 

“Hyuk, thanks for changing my life. Goodbye, now."

 

“Goodbye, Hye Jin.”

---------------

Hye Jin yawned when she heard her alarm ringing. She stretched and stared sleepily at the clock which wouldn’t stop ringing. She had the urge to throw it on the floor, but no.

 

She shouldn’t waste her hard-earned money.

She had gotten so far just to make it into her current school. She needed the money to support herself. If she wanted to major in music, she’d better not waste time, money and effort. She figured she shouldn’t waste anything she had in her life now.

 

She turned her alarm off and got off her couch. She looked into the mirror in the bathroom and sighed.

 

“What the heck, Choi Hye Jin! Stop thinking about that douche! He’s famous and everything now, he doesn’t need you in his life. Just forget about that arrogant . Focus on yourself, Hye Jin. You need the money and every single second in life is important. Go away, Han.Sang.Hyuk.”

---------------

Hye Jin panted heavily as she ran into her school. She ran to her classroom and looked around. She was relieved when she saw the messy place. She took a look at her watch,

I swear if I was late. Damn bus had to break down in the middle of the route.

 

The distance between her apartment and the school was a short 10 minutes bus ride, but if she were to walk, it would take 20 minutes, since there wasn’t any shortcuts for pedestrians. She sighed. At least she wasn’t late.

She slowly made her way to where Junhyo was and sat beside him.

“Hi. Wait, are you alright?”

She nodded, “Why do you ask?”

He chuckled, “You’re out of breath.”

She nodded once more, “That’s right. Bus broke down, so I came running.”

“Impressive.”

“Thanks.”

“You’re welcome.”

They paused for a moment, then laughed at the random conversation they just had.

 

“So how was yesterday?” Junhyo asked randomly.

She thought about what went through her mind the previous night and shook her head, “I thought about some jerk last night, it was horrible. We were close last time, though.”

“Your ex?”

She feigned choking, “Ew, no.” She pondered for a moment, “He’s more like… A brother? He’s a jerk now, though.”

“Is he someone I know?”

She shrugged, “I don’t wanna talk about that guy. I don’t even think you would believe me anyways.”

---------------

 

Hye Jin strolled to the school’s cafeteria and ordered her food, then found an empty spot and sat down. For a boisterous school with many so called “fangirls”, their cafeteria was dead quiet.

 

“KYAHH! IS THAT SANGHYUK?”

“HE’S SO CUTE!”

“TAKE A PHOTO WITH ME!”

Oh, I take that back.

She snorted incredulously as the previously quiet girls stood up and crowded around “Sanghyuk” and started squealing.

“God damn it. And I thought I would finally get some peace and quiet. In my dreams, I guess.”

 

What does people even see in him? They obviously already know he’s a jackass and yet they treat him like he’s a saint. His looks? Or were people just really twisted and fell in love with his arrogant attitude? “You don’t look like the type I would hang out with”? Pft, now that he’s famous, he doesn’t wanna hang out with me? Oh, please. You don’t look like the type I would even befriend. Serves your sorry right for changing so much. Pft.

 

“Sunbae! Sunbae, accept my feelings.”

Hye Jin looked up at Hyuk’s direction and cocked her eyebrow at the sight of a girl looking down, holding up an envelope.

People were really twisted.

Her jaw dropped as he smiled and gently took the envelope.

She softened a little.

Maybe he’s nice after all.

 

He made sure that he saw the girl’s smiling face before throwing it backwards and laughing out loud.

“HAHAHA! You think me, Han Sanghyuk, would date you? Please, take a look at yourself in the mirror! Why would I even go out with you? You have a brain, use it.”

All his other fans laughed along.

“HAHAHAHAHA PATHETIC!”

“Wow, such lame. Who does that nowadays?”

 

Hye Jin scowled and glared at Hyuk. She finished her food and walked towards him, with a cup of cold water in her hand.

“HAN SANGHYUK!”

He looked towards her direction and clenched his fists as he felt the cold sensation of the liquid on his skin.

 

Screams of protest were spat out from his fangirls, but she didn’t care.

She couldn’t care less.

“This is it, you freaking jerk. I don’t know what happened to you after you got adopted but this is it. You’re officially the biggest jerk I know. You’d better stop with that effing annoying and arrogant attitude. Seriously! You changed so much after you got adopted! What the hell did you even go through after getting adopted? Go back and reflect or something. At least change the attitude of your rude ,” she lectured and walked away after picking up the letter and throwing it into the bin.

 

“Is she crazy?”

“Why did she talk to my hubby like that?”

“She’s definitely on drugs.”

“Adopted? She must be the only one adopted.”

 

All I wanted was to have a nice meal with Kwangmin and Yongjin who came back like literally yesterday from their trip and my mood already got ruined by that crazy . And did she really just said I got adopted?

 

“What the heck? She’s mad,” Yongjin plainly commented.

“Bruh, did you really get adopted?” Kwangmin asked, not believing the words that came out of Hye Jin’s mouth.

“Wait, yeah, did you really?” Yongjin nudged Hyuk’s arm, demanding an explanation.

Hyuk shrugged, “I don’t even know her.”

---------------

“Mom, I need to talk to you,” Hyuk urged his mother, also the principal of the school.

She was shocked by his serious tone, but felt happy anyways. “Yes? What is it, son?”

“Some crazy woman said I was adopted and splashed cold water on my face today. Was she even in her right mind? Oh my god.”

 

Her heart pounded in her chest while sweat started forming on her body, her head spinning. She lost her balance and tripped, but her adopted son caught her.

 

“Mom, what’s wrong? Are you okay?” Hyuk asked worriedly, “Sit down. I’ll get you some water.” Just as he turned his back, Mrs Han grabbed his wrist, no, it’s okay, really. I’m fine. Sit down with me.”

He shot her a worried look once again and she felt relieved.

So he doesn’t know yet.

 

She immediately spoke, “It’s fake, Sanghyuk-ah. I am your mother. Whoever that person was, they were lying.”

Hyuk flashed her a grin, “Of course I know! You’re my one and only mother~”

She smiled warmly and flicked his forehead.

“Ouch! Why would you do that to your own son? Mom, you’re mean.”

She laughed heartily, “Yeah, yeah. Sure.”

 

She then looked away and felt her heart pound again. Who told him that?

---------------

16 year old Hyuk woke up from his deep sleep and looked around unsure of his location.

He looked forward and saw a woman excitedly talking on the phone with tears in her eyes.

 

“Yes, Hubby! He finally woke up, after 2 months! Come here soon! Come see your son!”

He blinked and tried to sit up. He removed the oxygen mask and tried to comprehend what his situation was.

“Who are you?”

Her heart dropped. “Do you not remember? I am…”

 

She pondered deeply. This was a chance...

“I am your mother, you’re Han Sanghyuk. I gave birth to you on the 5th of July, 1995. Do you remember?

He slowly shook his head, “I don’t remember, but you’re my mother, right?”

He smiled, “That’s all I need to know.”

She quickly embraced him, “I was so worried, my son. I got word that your car crashed into a tree and you hurt your head. I was so worried,” she teared up. “The driver is okay, he also went into a coma, but we gave him money and fired him.”

 

He blinked, “Driver?”

“Looks like you don’t remember your background,” she said.

---------------

“Sanghyuk, who told you about it, though?”

“Does it matter?”

“Nope, I’m just curious.”

“It’s the new girl in my class. She’s really annoying.”

“Do you know her name?”

“I think… It’s Park… Wait, wait no. Was it Lee? I think it was Jung…”

She laughed, “You really can’t remember names.”

“It’s ‘cause she’s not importa- Oh wait! It was Choi! Um.. Hye Jung? Wait, Mom, wait. I’ve got this. Choi.. Choi… Ah! I know! I’m certain now! It’s Choi Hye Jin!”

She smirked, “Are you sure?”

“Do not look down on your incredible son.”

“Okay, I shall trust you.”

“Of course.”

---------------

“She was from the same orphanage as Sanghyuk?” she stood up from her chair, “What?!”

She looked around and made sure there were no students listening from the outside. Mrs Han walked towards the blinds and shut them. She locked her door and went back to her chair. “So she was the important friend he had to say goodbye to that day, huh?”

It’s a small world after all.

 

“Thanks. I got it. Don't worry, you will get paid.”

She cut the line off, “I’d better check who my son’s involved with. I shouldn’t let him walk down the wrong path.”

---------------

[ A/N: HEHEHEHE HI GUYS HAHAHAHA okay I’m sorry.

How was this chapter? Did my writing fail? I’m sorry if I didn’t write properly hahaha. Just to let you guys know, one of us plans the plot and edits while the other one writes lol xD Guess who hehe.Anyways, I hope you’ve enjoyed this chapter!Uploading a fanfiction of a VIXX member while the whole group is performing in your country is just :(

I’m sorry.Byeeeee]

; follow our ig !

; junhohohong

; @kpoo.p