Chapter 10 - Meow Hyuk!

Memories

Hyuk was looking around the ward to make sure he had everything with him before going home. The principal and his father had what they called an “important meeting”, so they didn’t have the time to bring their son home, leaving him to go back by himself.

 

Or rather, with a limousine driver.

 

He left after signing the papers, about to take a cab home, when he saw a man right beside a limousine. Bowing at Hyuk, the man asked if he was ready to go. He was about to answer when he heard an unexpected voice call out for him from his back. He turned around and faced Hye Jin, who had thin stacks of papers in her hand.

 

“What are you doing here?” he asked, though he had a rough idea.

 

“I knew you were getting discharged today, so I came to give you your homework from the past few days and to find out if you’re fine to go home by yourself.”

 

“Thanks I guess, and I’m fine, don’t worry. I have a ride home.”

 

She looked at his driver and smiled, “Seems like I didn’t have to worry after all. I think you’re gonna be save with your driver, rich kid. Have fun with homework!”

 

And she left.

 

Hyuk looked at the driver and apologised for taking his time, then went into the limo, going home.

---------------

Hye Jin decided to walk home, saving up on bus fare. She came across a cat, which somehow looked hungry and cold, shivering a little.

 

It doesn’t even have a box to live in.

 

Hye Jin bent down and inched closer, wishing to be able to pat its head, but it didn’t want to be touched.

 

Because it didn’t trust her.

 

It retreated, stepping backwards, hiding under the little abandoned kids’ chair. It poked its head out, looking to see if she was still there.

 

Hye Jin smiled warmly, partly at its cuteness, partly for wanting it to be braver and not be afraid of her. She knew exactly how it felt, not having anyone else, having no one to trust. But she thought, this cat must’ve had been alone for a few years; she was all alone by herself briefly, until she met Hyuk, and Ahjumma.

 

Hye Jin spread out her arms wide towards the cat, which only hid back under the chair. She still didn’t give up though, speaking to the cat, like how she’d speak to a kid, “Here, little one. Don’t be afraid, I won’t hurt you. Here~ Come into my hands, you poor little one.”

 

The cat blinked, taking small, slow steps towards her, still unsure about the human, eight times as big as it was.

 

When Hye Jin thought it was starting to get comfortable and friendly, she reached out and scooped it up, revealing that it was a male. But he scratched her on her face, creating little red marks on her face. He looked shock, then seemed to be curling up into a ball when she placed him down to touch her face with the back of her hand.

 

Then she winced a little and started approaching the cat again. She did the same action as before, with the same loving smile plastered on her face. But this time, instead of rejecting, it willingly walked into her hands. Hye Jin smiled, knowing that the cat trusted her now that he was sure she was harmless. As if concerned about the pain she might be feeling from his scratches, he affectionately her other cheek.

 

Hye Jin smiled, placing the little one onto the floor, patting his black fur. Then something struck her. She realised that he was just like Hyuk; cold from the start, yet caring after a while.

 

Though she wanted and knew she needed to save on money, she had already started to grow affections for him. Her mind was set on leaving the cat that had finally felt comfortable around her, but her heart was set on giving the hungry, cold poor thing a home, feeding and taking care of him, instead of leaving him out in the streets with no one to care for and no one to be cared for by.

 

She didn’t want him to feel what she felt. He didn’t deserve it. No one did.

 

So she followed her heart. Unknowingly, she referred to him as Hyuk when she talked to him, so she decided to name him “Hyuk”.

 

“Let’s go and get you some essentials, then go home, Hyuk!”

---------------

Hyuk walked into the class, sighing irritatedly when he was swarmed by girls, and boys, from his class, concerned for his well being.

 

He rolled his eyes. Sometimes he wondered if they were really concerned for his well being, or about not being able to see his face, or try to be famous by being around him, or up to him, or his mother, by being a “close friend” of his. He didn’t know, but he didn’t care anymore. He used to like the fame, but somehow he found it all annoying now.

 

Probably because his true friends, Junhyo, Hana and Hye Jin made him realise that sincerity was the most important.

 

Hye Jin was sitting down at her desk, with Junhyo and Hana in front of Hyuk’s and Hye Jin’s tables. Hana scoffed, but was amazed at how much attention Hyuk had gotten after fainting, but the time when she broke her leg and had to walk around with a cast around it and clutches, no one even cared to help her or give her a second glance.

 

They all laughed at that, then Hana smiled, “It’s sad, but true.” And they chuckled again.

 

As Hyuk walked closer to them, the crowd started to disperse. The trio who were already seated down, started to hear whispers which were meant to be loud enough for them to hear.

 

The gossips went like, “Did you know? I heard that Hana works as a e. Doesn’t she have any shame?”

 

“Hey, hey, have you heard? Junhyo has been fooling around with girls recently.” Then came a gasp, “Playboys like him disgust me the most. Ew.”

 

“Choi Hye Jin is a , geez.” Another one nodded, “And a big liar.”

 

She saw a guy nudge a girl, “That Hye Jin girl. Apparently she have been going around cheating boys of their money. Good thing I have you, or I’d be broke by now.”

 

And many more malicious rumors, all untrue. They have been getting badmouthed the day Hyuk entered the hospital though, so they got used to it all.

 

They didn’t really care though, they all knew that everything was untrue, and they believed that they shouldn’t let those comments affect them and get in their way of life.

 

Hyuk glared at his classmates whose names he didn’t even know, but of course, that didn’t stop the gossips. They were all focused on worsening the false image the trio had.

 

Hyuk then looked to his right where Hye Jin was, about to check with her to know if he’d left out any questions, when he saw the scratches on her cheek. He instantly got worried, and made to effort to hide the concerned look on his face.

 

“Hey, where did you get those scratches from? Are you okay? Does it hurt? When did it appear?” Hyuk asked, which in return got a reassuring smile from Hye Jin.

 

She shook her head, “Nah, it’s nothing. It hurt at first, but it wasn’t deep, so it doesn't hurt now. I’m okay, don’t worry.”

 

Then she mumbled, “It was a gift from my new little companion.” She touched her cheek, “Thanks, Hyuk, you let me know that Hyuk could be concerned too. I’ll give you a treat later on when I get home.”

 

The human Hyuk looked at her, “Did you say something?”

 

She turned and smiled, “No, it’s nothing. I was thanking you for your concern.”

 

Hyuk looked away, a light shade of pink forming on each side of his cheeks.

 

Just then, the homeroom teacher stepped into the classroom and the class immediately fell silent.

 

Hyuk shook his head and Hye Jin heard him muttering, “All these two-faced s…”

 

She just softly replied, “True…” and sighed.

---------------

That day, Hye Jin went for lunch with Hana and Junhyo again, as usual. She smiled, it was a daily routine now, and it was nice having friends whom you could trust and talk to.

---------------

Two days later, Hye Jin was having her day off; it was a Sunday.

 

She slept late the previous day, for she had come home late. She was dead tired, and only woke up at 3:21PM when she heard Hyuk purring, probably hungry.

 

She stretched, happy about the fact she wouldn’t have to work that day and the next day. She skipped happily over to Hyuk and lightly kissed his head, then patted him as she refilled his bowl of food. She took his bowl meant for water and refilled it, then placed it next to his food bowl. She then went back to the kitchen, washed her hand and peered into the cupboard, expecting to see 5 packets of instant ramen, but was instead greeted by a disappointing emptiness.

 

She headed over to Hyuk and bent down, staring at him adoringly, then smiled.

 

“Hyuk,” she called, and he looked up. Her smile grew wider as she proudly said, “You finally responded to your name!”

 

She chuckled, “I’ll be going over to Uncle Kwon’s ramen shop, okay? And since I’m a very regular customer, I have special treatment. He allows me to buy the packets of ramen directly, even with a discount! He’s a really kind man and his ramen are always so delicious. I swear, if you were a human, you’ll love it!”

 

Then she pondered and laughed, I’m talking to Hyuk the cat, who probably will never respond, besides with a meow or a purr.

 

Hye Jin smiled again, “I’ll go now, alright?”

---------------

Hye Jin was headed to the stairs from the little hill, which lead from her block to the streets, where she could find Uncle Kwon’s shop.

 

Then she saw someone and froze in her tracks, what was he doing here?

 

Hyuk was looking around, then his eyes almost popped out of their sockets when he saw her. Hye Jin approached him, then asked if he was looking for someone or something. But when she saw the many bags he was holding, he explained that he was sick and tired of living in a house with some maids and butlers who aren’t even allowed to have a meal with him. He told her that he thought living in a small apartment alone beat living in a huge, empty house with many humans around, yet rarely talking to them.

 

“And I decided I wanted more freedom, so I told my parents and with their permission, moved out.”

 

Then he told her which apartment he was moving into, just because.

 

“What? Wait, are you kidding?” Hye Jin asked, shocked.

 

Hyuk stared at her, “Why?”

 

She narrowed her eyes at him, “You’re kidding, aren’t you? That apartment is right next to mine.” Seeing that Hyuk looked surprised too, she decided to believe that he was for real.

 

“But your previous home is much more comfortable though! It’s relaxing and beautiful, in contrast to the shabby apartment you’re about to move into.”

 

Hyuk shrugged, “I don’t really care.” And he just had to take the advantage and told her to help with his bags and move it into his apartment.

 

Hye Jin just stood there, barely staring at him for two seconds before making her way towards the opposite direction, ignoring him and heading for lunch. Hyuk just stared at her unbelievably.

 

But right before she left, he got hold of her hand and gave her a look, “Is that how you welcome your new neighbour and classmate?”

 

But Hye Jin was not listening. Instead, she was lost in her own thoughts. His hand is so warm~

 

Hyuk let go and looked away, while Hye Jin immediately snapped back to reality. Even though Hyuk had shown her his new friendly, warm side, she knew. Right now, he wasn’t Hyuk, he was Han Sanghyuk, still the cold bastard, just with the occasional lovable personality.

 

With a flustered face, Hyuk told her that he had only came once to look around his apartment, but wasn’t sure about anything else around that place and needed her help.

 

Hye Jin pondered for a while, then she smiled, a devilish smile, accepting his request. Hyuk smiled too, but it quickly disappeared when she continued.

 

“On one condition though, you’ll pay for lunch. Or else, it’s not a deal.”

 

Hyuk sighed, “Alright,” he reluctantly agreed.

---------------

After they got everything into the apartment, Hye Jin told Hyuk where she’d kept the stuff, and that she’d just dumped his bag of clothing in his room. She then taught Hyuk how to use some things. “Turning it this way will turn it on, okay? And I saw your kettle, it doesn’t have any plugs with it, so I assumed it uses the gas to boil. Remember to turn it off once you hear the whistle from the kettle, alright? You don’t want your sprinkler to start working.”

 

But Hyuk was not listening. All he did was sit on the couch, playing with his phone, while poor Hye Jin did all the work.

 

At least she gets free lunch, right?

 

Hye Jin rolled her eyes, Should’ve asked for two days’ lunch fare.

 

By the time they were done, it was already six and Hye Jin’s stomach was growling furiously. She was so, so, hungry. If only Hyuk did a third of what she had done, they would’ve been done so much quicker.

 

Before going for lunch, Hye Jin told Hyuk that she had to take care of some things at home first before leaving, and Hyuk groaned, demanding for her to hurry up.

 

“Shut up, I haven’t had my breakfast, okay? And you didn’t even help.”

 

She hurried in and looked for the cat Hyuk, refilling up his bowl of food and then running back out to meet the Hyuk.

---------------

The duo walked down the stairs and Hyuk turned right when Hye Jin did, following her into the nearest ramen shop.

 

As they did, Hye Jin politely greeted the owner and shouted, “Two bowls of ramen, please!”

 

“Oh, it’s Hye Jin! And… Who is that young lad there?” The owner asked, shocked.

 

Hye Jin had always been coming alone, seeing someone, a guy, along with her, was a bit shocking.

 

“Oh, Uncle Kwon, I forgot to introduce you two. This is Hyuk, and that is Uncle Kwon, the owner. I’m a regular here, so we’re close, and he treats me really well. His ramen is delicious, don’t worry! You’ll like it,I promise.”

 

Uncle Kwon smiled upon hearing the compliment, then cooked while listening to Hye Jin explain the story of her friend and new neighbour moving in.

---------------

“Thank you for the meal, Uncle Kwon!” Hye Jin dug into her meal. This was the happiest she had been, eating his ramen. She literally put the ramen into , not caring about the heat of it. “It’s so good!”

 

Hyuk stared at her in disbelief, then tasted the ramen. His eyes widened and looked at Uncle Kwon, “This is really good!” Then he returned to his food.

 

Hye Jin was still hungry after eating her ramen, so she called for seconds.

 

Uncle Kwon’s jaw dropped and she shrugged, “Lunch, and dinner is on my kind neighbour today, so why not?” and he smiled, cooking another bowl for her.

 

Hyuk had a chat with Uncle Kwon while Hye Jin was eating. They got along well, too. Unknowingly, time passed and it was soon 8PM.

 

Hyuk went to the gents’ before Hye Jin was done, and once he was back, her head was down on the table, sleeping. When he saw her, he snorted and gave an annoyed look. He tried to wake her up, but instead, all she did was mumble, “I miss you, Hyuk-ah…”

 

Hyuk was wondering what she meant when Uncle Kwon came out of his kitchen and told him that once she sleeps, she wouldn’t wake up until the next morning.

 

Hyuk looked at him, and Uncle Kwon smiled, “There was one day she came into my shop and ate, then she fell asleep. I shook her to wake her up, but there was no movement. I started getting worried, but then I heard her snoring.” He laughed, “I had to close the shop, leaving a note and the keys to the shop beside her to tell her to lock this place up and return the keys to me the next morning. She did well too, it was in my mailbox before my work started.”

 

Then he continued with a bitter smile, “This girl here… Behind that tough, caring personality of hers, indeed… She has a sad past. Hye Jin is pretty pitiful if you think about it, even if you see her always standing up for herself and her friends. She’d lost her parents at a very young age, surviving till now in an orphanage. Due to her past, many people looked down on her, but she worked really hard, determined to prove all those people wrong. People who dislike her personality, obviously don’t know anything about her. She’s just being strong. At the very least, she’s trying to.”

 

Hyuk’s mouth was left hanging open. He never thought that way about her. He didn’t think he was the type to be able to be as strong as her, without having anyone to support him. He did earn quite a bit back then when he was trying out jobs, but everything, what if they were all gone? He stared at Hye Jin, I’m sorry I’ve been so mean to you all this while. I’m sorry you’ve to be treated like that, having no one to complain to. Thank you for caring about me anyways.

----------------

[A/N:

L: YO GUYS MERRY BELATED CHRISTMAS! i hope y’all enjoyed this “gift” we’ve prepared for you, and i’m sorry for the really slow update. this was planned to be your christmas gift, so we had to wait for christmas (SGT) to update. (BUT WE TOTALLY FORGOT RIP) thank you all for supporting us thus far, and i hope you’ll continue to do so. sincerely, we get really happy when we see comments, whether to us, or to the characters, expressing your love/hate to them. coughs this is getting too long coughs. once again, i hope y’all enjoy this chapter, as well as your day. spend your day well with your loved ones! ily ♡

K: BELATED  Merry Christmas / Christmas Eve !! All i wanted to say are already said by L so haha...and yes thanks for supporting us even if this is your first time reading / u dont want to subscribe / u dont have a acc but thank you for taking the time to read haaa. Hope u enjoyed this chapter and spent christmas well with your loved ones ! ♡ since we were late rip. ]

 

PS : Hyuk’s attitude might be changing :P

&

this chapter is actually 3000+ words without a/n !!

Usually our chapters are only 1000+ words xD

 

// this has nothing to do with anything but just to apologise i totally forgot that hye jin had a part time job so from the second chapter this the like the 2nd time we mentioned her work. So for now to clear confusion if any of u have any , just keep in mind that yes she does have a part time job even if we didn't mention it for like 8  / a few upcoming chapters.

^ the chapters are already planned out so if i suddenly add her job again in the few uocoming chapters , the whole thing will be messed up rip. So bare with the missing job for the next few chapters..

 

follow us on ig if u want !

L : @junhohohong

K: @kpoo.p