Nine

I Dreamed a Dream
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The rain heavily pours down on Jungkook as he lies down on the park bench - the same park bench that he used to call his second home back in high school. It’s been three weeks since his parents kicked him out, and they show no sign in bringing him back. He’s only allowed to come home to fetch his clothes but that’s pretty much it. He’s staying over at Yoongi’s apartment. When Jungkook’s hungry, he goes to Seokjin and Namjoon’s apartment, because 1) Yoongi’s too lazy to cook, 2) Jungkook is too stressed to cook, and 3) Seokjin’s cooking is the closest thing to a mother’s cooking that Jungkook has.

His hyungs freaked when they first saw his appearance. Without being told the story, Namjoon right away grabbed his phone and proceeded to call the cops, but Jungkook stopped him. He did not want to be known as the kid who sent his parents to jail.

Tonight, he’s not at Yoongi’s apartment, sleeping on the couch. Instead, he’s on this park bench, reminiscing his high school memories. It’s funny for Jungkook when he thinks about it. He’s already in college. A step closer to becoming his own person. Become independent from his parents. Yet his parents are still the same whatsoever. No matter how hard Jungkook tries to free himself, his parents’ grasp gets tighter and firmer.

For once, Jungkook truly understands his brother. In all honesty, for the longest time, Jungkook saw Yonghwa as a coward for running away in the middle of the night. Yes, he misses his brother dearly. Back then, now, he will always miss Yonghwa. There won’t be a day when Jungkook wonders what his brother is doing. Are they touring? Are their albums selling well? He never googled his brother or the band. He’s only seen images and heard news of them being the first Korean band to accomplish something significant in Japan. Jungkook was and is proud of his hyung. That doesn’t change the fact that Yonghwa ran away. That Yonghwa abandoned him. Practically gave up on him. Jungkook never understood him. Until now.

His father’s punches brought upon this realization.

Jungkook chuckles, which then turns into him laughing like a maniac, scaring off any night animal that’s lurking around, and brushes a hand through his hair. The other hand touches the fading bruise underneath his eye.

 

“Let’s go crazy!” Taehyung rises a fist in the air. “Let’s go crazy!” He rolls his eyes back, shapes his lips into an ‘o’, and releases an unidentified alien sound. The nurses, accustomed to his crazy antics, laugh.

“Now,” says Nurse Bada, poking his cheek, “remember to rest, our little Tae. We don’t want to see you back in the ICU, mister.”

“And don’t get us wrong,” Nurse Eugene intercepts, pinching his nose, “we would love to see you again but not in a critical condition.”

Nurse Shoo does not say anything. She does, however, give Taehyung a goodbye kiss on the cheek.

“Bye Nurse Bada! Bye Nurse Shoo! Bye Nurse Eugene! I’ll miss you all!” Taehyung screams from his wheelchair - that's being pushed by his appa - and waves his arms around like noodles.

“Bye Tae!” the nurses respond in unison.

“I wish he would come visit us someday,” says Nurse Bada.

“I want to marry him off to my daughter but she’s not even in preschool yet.” Nurse Eugene shakes her head.

“Even if your daughter was the right age for him,” says Nurse Shoo, “I’m pretty sure Taehyung’s gay for his friend Jimin.”

“Well, you can’t blame him. Have you seen Jimin’s thighs?” mentions Nurse Bada.

 

“Appa, I already told you: Jiminie and I are not gay for each other. We gay but not gay for each other. There’s a difference,” Taehyung firmly states.

“But Taehyung,” Tito Kim - Taehyung’s dad - whines. “If you marry Jimin, then our families will become one.”

“Appa, no. Jimin is a no-no zone for me.”

“Honey!” Tito Kim turns to his wife, looking for support.

Tita Kim wipes her forehead, exhausted by her husband’s neverending whining. “Sweetie, there’s nothing we can do. We can’t force them to wed.”

“Yes we can!” Tito Kim stomps the ground, frowning. “We are the parents. We can force them to do whatever we want. Ever heard of arrange marriages?”

“Honey, we’ll be bad parents.”

“I don’t care. Jiminie has to be my son-in-law! He has to be!”

“Sweetie!”

“Appa!”

“I feel you!”

The group shift their attention to the voice heard behind them, and they see Jimin’s family approaching them.

“I feel you!” Tito Park repeats. “Your Taehyung is so good to us! I want - No! I need him as my son-in-law!”

“I need Jimin as my son-in-law! We should devise a plan,” suggests Tito Kim.

“Yes, yes,” agrees Tita Park. “We can lock them in a closet, and then the only way to get out is to kiss and profess their love for each other. “

“That is an excellent plan!”

“Sweetie!”

“Honey!”

“Don’t ruin our dream!”

“Don’t you share the same dream!”

The two sons watch their parents bicker, faces turning beet red when they realize the number of spectators in the area.

“Should we…?”

“Yeah. Wheel me away from this embarrassment, Chim Chim.”

 

TEXT MESSAGES

Namjoon: Jungkookie!

Namjoon: The main gang is celebrating Taehyung’s release from the hospital.

Namjoon: Tonight. My place. You and Yoongi be there at seven.

Namjoon: With food!

Jungkook stares at the messages. If Taehyung

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter