Seven

I Dreamed a Dream
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Three Years Ago.

Jungkook stared at the vase full of meticulously arranged tulips on his desk. There’s a note on the side signed by his third year buddy, Kim Taehyung. Disturbed by the flowers - because everyone knows that tulips means a declaration of love - Jungkook dumped the vase into the trashcan.

Two Years Ago.

On a park bench, in the middle of the night, Jungkook laid there, only wearing a thin sweater. The park bench had become his sanctuary whenever school year rankings were released and became known to parents. He ranked fourth in his class. Three spots down from his normal ranking: #1. It was considered a sin in his family to be ranked second, so imagine how infuriated his parents must have been when they heard of the dreaded placing.

His failure to maintain the top spot had been the result of Minhyuk's, one of his hyung’s bandmates, call. The last time Jungkook heard from the band was when Yonghwa called him congratulate his younger brother on his high school entrance ceremony.

Jungkook’s a second year now.

The call ended abruptly when Jungkook’s parents caught him. But it was long enough for Minhyuk to share the dire news: Yonghwa might need surgery on his throat.

Shivering, Jungkook hugged himself and curled into a ball. His teeth chattered. He could feel his skin going pale.

“Hey,” a soft voice said.

Jungkook didn’t need to see who the person was, because he could never forget his favorite hyung’s voice.

His favorite hyung squatted and brushed Jungkook's bangs to the side. Jungkook, voice shaking, whispered, "Jimin hyung." Jimin stared sympathetically; he didn’t need to know why his favorite dongsaeng was out in the cold and not at home. Holding up a bag of snacks, Jimin told the younger male that he was going to Seokjin’s apartment. “Come along with me. Keep me company.”

Jungkook never asked why Jimin would be going to Seokjin's apartment at this hour; but he kept his mouth shut and shook his head, instead.

It was getting colder, and Jungkook clinged to his jacket even more.

"Your brother wouldn't want you out here," Jimin suddenly mentions Jungkook’s hyung.

“H-h-how would you know?”

Jimin looked away.“That isn’t important. Lets go, my favorite dongsaeng."

-------

Yonghwa called the next day. He’s fine. Thanks to the magic of medicine and rest, the procedure became unnecessary.

Jungkook sighed in relief.

“I tried calling you last night,” Yonghwa informed him. It hadn’t occurred to Jungkook to grab his phone before fleeing his home the other night. “Umma answered your phone, instead. Told me you were placed fourth in class.” The other line grew silent. Yonghwa had experienced the wrath of their parents since he was ranked seventh and eighth multiple times; his punishments consisted of being away from home for at least two weeks. “Your friend, Jimin, was nice. I remembered seeing you tagged in one of his Facebook pictures, so I messaged him about your disappearance….”

And

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter