The Love that's Ours

Love Broke our Friendship
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

It was already midnight when Min Ho and Shin Hye came back to the penthouse. They were laughing as they told each other about the time in which Shin Hye came home late and he had to help her climb through the window. She dragged him to her room. 

"Let's watch T.V." She pleaded. 

"I'm really tired. I don't want to end up falling asleep."

She pulled him by the arm. "Just for a little bit. I just don't want today to end." She pouted. She didn't want to wake up and realize that it's all a dream and that he doesn't love her, but instead that he loves Eun Hye. She gave him a pitiful look.

"Why do you always look at me like that?" He pinched her nose. 

She grinned and pulled him in. She closed the door behind her and strutted towards the couch. She looked at him quizically. "Aren't you going to sit?"

"I really don't think this is such a good idea."

"Why not? Nothing is going to change. I mean besides the fact that we would kiss and hug, we should pretend like this is normal."

He shifted his weight from foot to foot.

"If you're really discomfortable just go. I don't want us to argue."

"This shouldn't even be considered an argument." He sat next to her.

Shin Hye grabbed a blanket and snuggled against him. "I've always wanted to do this."

He laughed. "You should've told me sooner, I would've done it gladly." He placed his arm around her.

She turned the T.V. on trying to drown out the silence. Why did it have to be so awkward? "Oppa, can I ask about Eun Hye?"

His body tensed. "Are you sure you want to talk about her? That didn't end well last time."

She ignored him. "Why were you so happy to see her? I felt bad, when you saw me all you could do was glare at me and treat me coldly."

"I don't know why I felt so excited. Well, with her there it wasn't so much of a restriction. I had always been comfortable around her. With you, I just felt nervous. I was scared that you would find out about my feelings and then you would reject me. Wasn't it hard to believe that I had feelings for you?"

"I wouldn't have believed it years ago, but when you told me I was confused. Now I'm just happy. I like the fact that you're here. Soo Hyang told me that you would spend most of your time with her when you came to New York last year. I got another question. Are you going to be spending more time with her until the end of our trip?"

"Well, I just plan to do a little catching up."

Shin Hye elbowed him. "You aren't supposed to say that. I do not want you to reminisce your good times with her, it makes me jealous."

"You can come if you want. I don't have any intentions, I just want to be friendly."

"You shouldn't even talk to her. Actually I hate the fact that there are so many women ought to get you."

"Is it my fault? Besides why worry?"

"First of all, two of them were serious relationships."

"At least I'm in none of their apartments."

"Are you going to get mad because of that?" She held his face in her hands. "You shouldn't even be complaining because whose apartment did I go to without announcing. And you are jealous because someone who's interested in me lives next door, but let me remind you that Yeon Seo is one of your neighbors."

"How do you know about that? Also you can come to my apartment as much as you want."

She rolled her eyes. "Your mom told me that she lived there. Why didn't you even tell me about it?"

"Because I don't even talk to her. She's there but we don't even greet each other.”

"How would I know if she has ever gone to your apartment?"

"I wouldn't even invite her. Are we really going to discuss this now?"

"You were the one that brought it up." 

"Then how about we end the topic." He got up. "I'm going to go sleep now."

"We just got here." She complained. 

"No we didn't. It's already one in the morning. I have to go work tomorrow." He kissed her forehead and hurried to the door before he had a chance to change his mind. "Don't think about Eun Hye anymore. It's not worth it."

******

Shin Hye asked Min Ho to take her to Central Park. He laid a blanket underneath a blossom tree and placed the picnic basket on the floor. 

"I still can't believe that you're my girlfriend."

"Why?" In the morning she woke up and she thought he was going to act indifferent but he came and he hugged her. Then he made her breakfast. She enjoyed seeing everyone's faces. They were all confused, struck by the fact that they were officially something. Min Ho took out the containers. Shin Hye extended her hand for him to take, when he did she pulled him closer.

"I thought you were always going to say no. There are people like So Ra, who made you think that its wrong."

"I had some problems with So Ra. And the discussion that I had with her made me comprehend that I could be selfish. Besides, you were probably never going to look at her so what was the point of standing aside."

"When did you realize this?"

"The time at the stairwell. When I told you how hurt I was, I was going to tell you everything about the incident. But then you would think that I just went with you because she left me."

"That was so long ago. Why didn't you tell me anything? Why did you make me think that I was doing everything wrong?" He removed his hand from hers.

"I--I don't kn----know." She stuttered. "I just wanted to see what your plan was. I wanted to know how badly you wanted this relationship. Besides, I'm glad that I did it this way. You wouldn't have said anything about Eun Hye. This is due to the fact that you were probably not going to take me here to New York. If we have a relationship, I don't want us to keep things from each other."

"We already cleared it up. Besides if I didn't tell you it was because there was no point bringing it up."

She smacked his arm. "You pretend like what you had with her was no big deal. Knowing Soo Hyang she would've told me once you were back in Seoul. Then it would've been a bigger mess because you don't trust me enough to tell me what you did all of those years you were gone."

"I didn't ask you anything about what you did because the past is the past." He held her face beween his hands.

"If it was a thing of the past, you wouldn't have been so happy to see her. The next day you just got up and went to see her."

"Fine, I'm sorry for lying. Let's just put everything behind us. Okay?" He gave her a sullen look. She nodded and he leaned in to give her a kiss. 

Her hands encircled his neck and his hands found their way around her waist.  "One more thing. Promise me that you aren't hiding anything from me."

"I can't promise that because there are things that I have to tell you but I just don't know how too."

"But you aren't going to hide it from me. So promise."

"I promise, my life will be an open book to you." He pecked her lips. "Now let's eat."

"I don't know if I told you but So Ra invited us to her house, once we're back in Seoul."

"Why would she do that? And she invited me? There has to be some underlying meaning." He took out a bowl of fruit. He opened it and started feeding Shin Hye.

"I know you can't stand her, but please be nice. Maybe she wants to do the paces, she is probably tired of fighting."

"Or maybe she's planning something in order to seperate us. I mean it's been years and she says she still has the same feelings, she can't get rid of them that fast."

"Maybe she was confused and she was aware of the fact that she never even liked you. It was probably just rivalry. She thinks that I get everything that I want. And since you are such a great guy who happens to like me, she wanted to divert you from looking towards me. 

"There's a lot of ifs and buts. I'm not even sure that I can trust her. I don't want to go."

"Just do it for me." She begged. Her heart wasn't used to the absence of her best friend. They shared a lot of their life together. 

He sighed. "I'll think about it. You have to respect my desicion, if it happens to be a no."

She threw her arms around his neck. "Fine." She planted a kiss on his neck. 

"Why don't you do that again? It might convince me."

She laughed and pulled away. "It was a one time thing."

He tried to pull her close but stopped when someone walked by them and turned back stopping in front of them.

"Min Ho."

Min Ho grimace before turning to her and giving her a light smile. "Eun Hye. What a surprise!"

Shin Hye was determined to fight for what she had gotten. Min Ho was hers and she wasn't going to let any woman get in the way of that. She stood up. "Remember me?"

"How can I forget?! You came to New York with Min Ho?" Her voice was forced. It reminded Shin Hye of Yeon Seo. She recognized the fact that Eun Hye was beautiful but if Min Ho chose her then it must've been for a reason.

"Eun Hye this is Shin Hye." When he felt Shin Hye give him a nudge he continued. "She's my girlfriend."


Shin Hye gave her a smug look and held his hand. "It's nice to meet you."

"Same here. I know it's none of my business and it's your private life, but you told me you had no girlfiend a week ago." Her plan was ruined, she was supposed to be the one that he's dating. But she's too late. Now she has to fight with another woman for him.

"I happened to give him a yes, yesterday." Shin Hye told her. 

Min Ho felt the tension all around him so he cleared his throat. "What are you doing around here?"

"I was just taking a walk. Do you mind if I join you guys?"

"Of course not." He should've said no but he didn't want to be rude. Now all he knew was that Shin Hye was uncomfortable and her body was tense.

She sat down. "So how did you guys meet each other?"

"We know each other since high school. We're bestfriends."

"How come I've never seen you before? I mean I would've known about you when Min Ho and I dated." She emphasized.

"Long story short, since I moved away we didn't keep in touch but after many years she came to my office for work and well we met again." His phone rang. "I'll be right back." He whispered to Shin Hye. "It's from the office." He got up and moved away from them.

"You don't need to pretend like everything's okay. I know that you want Min Ho and I'm not going to sit around and watch with my arms crossed." Shin Hye told her.

"At least that's clear. I let him go once and I'm not planning to let go again."

"I let him go once too, but now that I'm the one by his side, this is my time." Shin Hye smirked. 

"I wouldn't boast about it now. He is still affected by me."

"If he was still affected by you, he would be next to you. Also he told me that you are the past. The past stays in the past." Shin Hye smiled confidently.

"Shin Hye, what I shared with him isn't to be taken lightly. I saw sides of him that no one ever witnessed."

"He told me about his mental sickness. He is better now and if he does need anyone I'll be the first one he'll call. Just like I leaned on him, he will lean on me. Also his mother loves me. Thanks to her I am where I am now. If she wanted you to be with her son, she would've looked for you. Actually let me change that. Have you ever even met his parents? Do you know what they do? Where they work? Where they live?"

She bit her lip. "I was going to meet them. Unfortunately the university was too far from their home."

"Isn't that a shame?" Shin Hye snickered. "Eun Hye, I spent nights at his house. He spent nights in my room. The connection between me and him runs deeper than anything you can imagine. If you really wanted to meet his family, you would've done it by now. I don't feel shaken up anymore." She sat back against the tree.

"You know Shin Hye, how can you be so sure of his feelings for you? If you would've loved him before, he wouldn't have run away. But now he has money and power, and all of the sudden you love him."

"I don't use people. I may have realized what I felt for him too late. However, why is it that you want to keep in touch with him? He came last year and he spent a lot of time with you and nothing happened. Why should I worry?"

"I thought he had moved on."

"He had never even held you as close as he held me to his heart. On the nights where I would break down, he gathered me in his arms and held me tightly. He told me that he was there for whatever I needed. The way he is with me is genuine and I have no reason to doubt him."

"Do you think being with him is as easy as it looks? Trust me with all of these other women around, it's going to torture you. I am telling you this beause I had experience."

"If it isn't going to be easy for me then how will it be any easier for you?" She wanted to brag that Min Ho pushed aside those women. He pushed Yeon Seo away and Soo Hyang gave up on him and encouraged her.

"But I know how it feels and it will be easy for me to get through it."

"Is that the reason why you left in the first place?" Min Ho asked. Neither Shin Hye nor Eun Hye had seen him get closer. "Is that why you made up excuses? Your parents didn't even move, they came to look for me asking me why we broke up. They didn't even know that you were going to study abroad." He hauled Shin Hye to her feet. She had already put the food in the basket.

Eun Hye stood up. "I was sincere when I told you that my father was transfered to the U.S."

"Then who was the guy who was with your mother?"

"That was my step father. My biological father asked me if I wanted to come live with him in the states and since I hadn't seen him a long time..."

"You chose him over us." Min Ho cut her off. In one hand he carried the basket and he picked up the blanket. With the other hand he grabbed Shin Hye's hand and pulled her away. 

As they walked to the penthouse, Shin Hye maintained silence. She was hurt because he sounded affected. Almost like he didn't want Eun Hye to leave in the first place.

Min Ho nudged her. "What's wrong? I'm sorry that we weren't able to have a nice picnic like we planned. I'll make it up."

"You don't have to. Just answer one question." She continued when he didn't say anything. "When you came to the New York last year and you saw her, did you plan to get her back?"

"I don't know what I intended. I guess....I couldn't believe that she was here. Maybe I regretted the fact that I let her go. I thought I was a coward. That for the second time I had failed at love."

"What am I? Your first love or your true love?" She tried to blink away the tears. It really did hurt to hear that he loved someone else. However she shouldn't be saying anything because she had said that many times to him about the other guy. How was he so strong?

"You are both my first love and my true love. My first love because when I left I only looked for women who resembled you. Physically but also emotionally. Those who acted like you. Haven't you heard that you cannot ever get over your first love because you will always compare everyone to them. Also you are my true love because I wouldn't want anyone but you." He cupped her cheeks. "In my heart, the world is only big enough for our love."

"You won't let her get in between us?" She held onto his arms.

"I don't know what the future holds, I'll try my best to push her aside."  His candor was bigger than she imagined.

"Now that you're being honest. Do you still hold any feelings for her?"

"No, I just care for her. And I don't want to hurt her, because after all she was there when I needed someone the most."

"I see. I am confident in myself though. I won't let her get in the way of our romance. I don't want this to be a short-lived dream." She leaned her forehead on his. "I know that she's going back to Korea, I have this gut feeling. I hope you're aware that she is not going to give up without a fight. And even if I have to rip her hair out," She paused amused with her choice of words. "I won't give you up."

He locked her in a bear hug. "That's right. I know you're more confident than that. But, I won't intervene. It'll be fun to watch." He whispered in her ear.

She elbowed him. "Do you want a girlfriend with scars?"

"You're the one that wants to fight."

She tsked. "It's only because you're not strong enough to say something."

"Sorry, my fault." He said teasingly, then he just hummed before continuing. "I waited so long for this chance, I won't give it up for anyone."

"I am convinced that you make too much promises. Just like you said we don't know what the future holds, and if we end up breaking up, all I'll remember is empty promises."

"As long as we live to the fullest, we won't have to part. We won't have to say farewell. All I know is that I need you now. I love you now."

******

Their trip to New York was nearing its end. As much as Shin Hye enjoyed being a tourist, she missed Seoul. She missed the food in Korea. She got up and sat in front of the T.V. eating a bowl of cereal. Min Ho went to the company for a meeting and his 'lovely' designers decided to go out party and get drunk. She put the bowl in the dishwasher and grabbed her sketchbook. She felt inspired recently. Instead of doing a y fashion line, just like she imagined, she wanted to do something cute but edgy. She grabbed her pencil and began to work. After finishing one design, she looked up at the clock and realized that time had gone by fast.

She turned her head when the door opened. Soo Hyang came in with Eun Hye and Shin Hye bit her bottom lip. Eun Hye had her hair in a ponytail, she wore no make up. She had a tight shirt that exposed some of her clevage which made Shin Hye let out an incredulous laugh. She knew what her intentions were and it was funny because she knew Min Ho was not going to fall for that.

"Shin Hye, do you know at what time Min Ho's meeting is over?"

"I don't pry into his professional matters. He'll come when he comes." She lied. Of course she knew his schedule, he had told her eveything on his agenda for the day. "Where are the others?"

"They decided to go shopping, and since I have more than I needed I decided to skip."

"How is it that you brought her along?" Shin Hye pointed at Eun Hye.

"It's rude to point." Eun Hye said and Shin Hye ignored her.

"I just saw her and invited her to dinner for old times sake."

Shin Hye doubled over with laughter. "That's real cynical. How can you two be friends? Both of you dated Min Ho and until this point both of you are interested in him."

Eun Hye's eyebrows knitted together. "You dated Min Ho?" Her question was addressed to Soo Hyang.

Shin Hye eyes widened in a very amused form. "You didn't know. Ouch! That stings. Why don't you talk about it? Go on." She waved them along with her hand. "Pretend like I'm not here."

"It's no secret that I had feelings for him and you know that perfectly well. Why did you think he wasn't going to get over you? It's obvious that he did, I mean he's with Shin Hye now."

Shin Hye smirked as she overheard them. 

 "You never told me anything, how could you stand by my side? I t

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter