Chapter 7

Came Into My World

"I miss school," Taehyung said with a whine as the boys sat around Jimin's dining room table. "I wanna go back."

"What's more important?" Jimin asked. "School or making sure Jungkook is safe and healthy."

"Kookie of course," Taehyung replied, frowning.

"Then stop complaining," Hoseok ordered. "Where is Jungkook anyway?"

"He's sleep. He still has a slight fever," Jimin replied, pointing to the stairs. "We're thinking it might be more serious than we thought. He's had it for a week now."

"What's gonna happen?" Taehyung asked with wide, fearful eyes.

"We're gonna call in a private doctor," Jimin whispered, starting at the table. "A specialist."

"Oh, that sounds very serious," Hoseok said with a frown. "How-"

"I called the doctor," Mrs. Park said, walking into the room. "He's on his way. Go wake up Jungkook and let him know."

"Neh," Jimin said, standing up with the other two following him. They quickly went up to Jungkook's room, finding the boy leaning against his wall with an arm covering his eyes. "Kook."

"Oh, hey guys," Jungkook said weakly, removing his arm.

"Hey," the others said with a small smile.

"Hey Jungkook..." Jimin said softly, "the v doctor is on his way to do a check up."

"Oh?" Jungkook asked. "Well I'll be here."

The four then sat in silence, waiting for the doctor to arrive. Jungkook just played with his blanket, refusing to look at the others. He wanted to know what was really wrong with him. At this point, he thinks it has nothing to do with the anxiety attack he had. He's had one before, and this had never happened. There was definitely something wrong.

"Jungkook?" A voice asked, causing them all to look up and see the doctor walk in. "Hi, I'm doctor Choi."

"Hi," Jungkook said quietly, looking back down at his hands.

"Boys, can I examine him and talk to him in private?" The doctor asked, looking at the other three.

"No," Jungkook said, looking up again. "They stay."

"Okay," the doctor said with a sigh. "So I heard you had a fever with a hundred degrees for a week now after an anxiety attack. Let me ask you, do you have any other symptoms than just the fever?"

"Nausea, vomiting, and my stomach hurts here," Jungkook said, touching his upper right abdomen, then moving to his chest area with his hand. "And here."

"Alright Jungkook, tell me if you have any thing happen that made you.... emotionally unstable?" The doctor asked, writing something on his notepad he had in his hands.

"Err... I was..." Jungkook whispered, looking at the other three nervously, "abused by my father... and also bullied at school... Then I was forced to move to another country and live with a family I don't know... Then I was bullied again... Then I had a panic attack on a rollercoaster... Then I was attacked again at school.... Then I had a fight with my mom and then my brother... and yeah..."

"Ah," the doctor said in a soft sigh, giving the boy a small an apologetic look. "From the looks of it, you're undergoing not do much physical, but emotional and mental stress. Too much stress like that leads to this... condition called gastritis. In other words, I think you might have heartburn, and also acid reflux... do you always feel a burning feeling in your throat?"

"Yeah," Jungkook replied, nodding his head and causing the doctor to sigh once again.

"And the pain in your abdomen, you might even have gallstones," doctor Choi continued. "This could've been caused by pancreatitis, which is an infection in your pancreas. We're gonna have to do an exam on you to check what it is, to see if you have gallstones. That will have to be treated immediately."

"Why does he have so many illnesses?" Jimin asked causing the doctor to turn on him.

"Cause of the trauma he's been through," doctor Choi answered honestly.

"Can it be cured?" Jimin asked with a frown.

"Gastritis can't be," the doctor replied. "But it can be controlled. You have to take certain antibiotics to sustain it."

"How serious is pancreatitis?" Jungkook asked quietly, too afraid to look up at the doctor.

“It could infect your heart or lungs,” the doctor told him. “To prevent that from happening, if it hasn’t already, then you need to get it treated immediately. It could become very serious if you don’t.”

“Neh,” Jungkook said, nodding his head and looking at Jimin. “Thank you.”

“I’ll leave you here,” the doctor said, bowing. “I hope you get better soon. Get it treated as soon as you can.”

“Yes sir,” Jungkook said, watching as the doctor walked out of the room. As soon as he was gone, tears started falling down his cheeks.

“Jungkook-”

“I don’t have money,” Jungkook whispered. “I won’t be able to pay for a treatment.”

“Yah, don’t you think you’re not getting treated,” Jimin said, seriously. “Your family will pay for it.”

“What family?” Jungkook asked. “Jin disowned us from the family! My only family is Jin hyung and he is just as poor as me!"

"This family!" Jimin shouted. "My parents! Our friends! Us! Me! Jeon Jungkook, I'm your family."

"Jimin-"

"Come on, Tae, Hoseok, I need to talk to my parents," Jimin said, before storming out of the room, leaving Jungkook speechless.

 

...

 

"He's in the hospital AGAIN?!" Jin cried into his phone after excusing himself from class. "Yah, Park Jimin! What the HELL is going on?!”

“Whoa, Seok Jin, calm down,” Namjoon said as he and Yoongi walked over to him. “We can hear you from inside the classroom.”

“Did I care?!” Jin cried, turning on them. “My baby brother is inside the hospital AGAIN! And you’re telling me to calm down?!”

“Hyung, please calm down so I can tell you what’s going on,” Jimin pleaded through the phone. “The doctor came over today and said he has pancreatitis. He’s getting a checkup for gallstones. He needs to get the pancreatitis treated immediately.”

“Wait, what? No- How?”

“Because of all the trauma he’s been through,” Jimin stated. “That’s what the doctor said. But you need to come here. Only you’re aloud in to see him.”

“I’ll be right there,” Jin said, hanging up his phone and looking at the others. “I’m going. Grab my backpack and meet me at the hospital after school.”

“Jin-”

“Bye!” Jin shouted, before rushing out the school doors. Without a second thought, he sprinted to the hospital, which was all the way across the neighborhood, but he didn’t care.

As soon as he made it to the hospital, drenched in rain water, he rushed over to the receptionist and demanded for Jungkook’s room. After the receptionist told him, Jin bolted towards the elevators, being intercepted by Jimin and Taehyung. Jin tried to push past them, but they wouldn’t let him. Jimin then grabbed his wrist and dragged him to the waiting room.

“What the hell are you doing?! Let me see my brother!” Jin cried, trying to break away from him.

“You can’t go in right now,” Jimin said, shaking his head. “They’re giving him a biopsy.”

“I need to see my brother right now!” Jin cried, shaking his head.

“Just calm down, hyung,” Jimin said with a sigh.

“Excuse me,” a voice said, causing everyone to look up and find a doctor standing in front of them. “Is Jeon Jungkook’s guardian here?”

“Yes, that’s me!” Jin cried, breaking free of Jimin’s hold. “I’m his older brother! Jin. Kim Seok Jin. How’s my brother? Is he okay?”

“Can I talk to you privately?” the doctor asked, causing Jin to frown and give a quick glance to Jimin and Taehyung, who were watching expectantly.

“Can... these two come with too?” Jin asked. “Jimin is practically his brother now, and Taehyung is his best friend.”

“It can only be family-”

“Jimin IS his family,” Jin interrupted him. “He and his parents are mine and Jungkook’s only family.”

“And Tae can’t be left out either,” Jimin added.

“Fine, just come with me,” the doctor said, leading the three of them away and into his office. Once they were all seated, he looked at Jin with a frown written on his face. “Has Jungkook ever been ?”

“Yes,” Jin whispered, causing Taehyung to jump up in surprise and Jimin look away sadly.

“What?! Seriously?!” Taehyung cried in surprise.

“Why didn’t he get treated?” the doctor asked. “I can see that he went through a lot of mental and physical trauma.”

“He made me swear not to do anything, not to say anything,” Jin said, refusing to make eye contact with anyone. “He didn’t what our uncle to know I knew something. He didn’t want our uncle to hurt me. I know my uncle, and if he knew I knew, he would’ve done something to me. I wanted to confront him so badly. For abusing and hurting my brother. I couldn’t stand it. But he wasn’t even my blood relative. If I would’ve done something, he would’ve tried to sue me and send me to jail. Jungkook didn’t want to lose me. He made me promise not to do anything. I couldn’t go against his word.”

“You should have done something sooner,” the doctor said, sympathetically. “This trauma is messing up his whole body. He’s in a really bad state. He in fact does have gallbladder. We’re lucky he doesn’t have cancer. Let me ask you what his personality is like.”

“He’s... He has a hard time standing up fro himself. And he is very loyal,” Jin stated. “He only likes sticking to people he knows or he’s close with. He can get quiet sometimes. And I’ve noticed he’s not really that comfortable around older men he doesn’t know.”

“So he’s not comfortable around me?” Jimin asked, turning on Jin.

“He knows you, dummy,” Jin said, rolling his eyes. “And that’s not what I mean.”

“Alright,” the doctor said with a sigh. “The three of you may go in and see him now. Will your parents be coming?”

“Yes, my parents will be coming,” Jimin said, nodding his head.

“Your parents?”

“They’re our foster parents,” Jin told the doctor.

“Alright,” the doctor said, nodding his head. “Before I let you go, I need some identification of Jeon Jungkook. Like his passport, his birth certificate and another form of identification.”

“I have a social security number,” Jin said, pulling out a folder from his backpack. “Jungkook and I still need to register as Korean citizens. We were only supposed to be here as transfer students, but because of... problems back home, we just recently decided on staying here.”

“You don’t have to explain yourself, I understand,” the doctor said, taking the official papers from in. “We can use a social security number for now. But make sure you get your resident registration number.”

“I will,” Jin replied, nodding his head.

“Alright, I’ll return these to you later,” the doctor replied. “Go ahead and head into the hospital room. He’ll probably be asleep right now.”

“Thank you,” Jin said, standing up with the other two. “Come on boys.”

“So does that mean Jungkook will be okay?” Taehyung asked as they walked out of the room.

“No, that just means he has to go through surgery,” Jin said sadly, slowly walking towards the elevator.

“Did you know that he was ?” Taehyung asked, turning on Jimin. “You didn’t seem surprised.”

“Jin hyung told me,” Jimin replied, nodding his head. “He was and abused.”

“He and Hoseok are so similar,” Taehyung said, shaking his head. “I feel so bad for them.”

“Where is Hoseok?” Jin asked, just as a voice called after them. They all turned to see Namjoon, Yoongi and Hoseok running towards them.

“Look who we found,” Yoongi said, pointing at Hoseok.

“How’s he doing?” Namjoon asked, throwing Jin’s backpack towards him.

“Not so good,” Jin replied, shaking his head. “Come on, let’s go check up on him.”

“I feel for that kid,” Yoongi said, seriously. “I hope he’ll be better soon.”

“Yeah, me too. I’m scared to death,” Jin replied.

“So am I,” Jimin agreed. “But he’ll be okay. I know it.”