The Ghost of Jae Rim's Past, Present, and FUTURE. (Part 3)

The MSG to my Kimchi Stew

So Eun fluttered her eyes open as a ray of sun light kissed her eyelashes.

Her hands and feet were bright yellow; blood would not circulate as well with a temperature so cold.

The tips of her nails were all broken from trying to pry the door open throughout the night.

She turned around, lifelessly, to look at the tussled bed sheets, and then to the opened door.

And she walked out of the room that held her a prisoner.

 

She felt lightheaded, as she walked through the dark blue halls, barefoot against the chilled cement. She was cold. But she wouldn’t hurt, damn it.

It was an odd feeling.

She wondered how long she’s been trapped out of reality. Or maybe this wasn’t a dream. She wasn’t sure anymore; all incidents, now, were opaque.

She pressed her stiff palm against the wall. Solid.

Hong Jin Young wasn't here. Jae Rim wasn’t here. Min Young wasn’t here.

She opened a door nearby. And a door next to it. And a door next to that. No one was here.

 

After pacing around the empty halls some more, So Eun sat down, still lightheaded, on the ground. Her eyes, heavy with exhaustion and numb from the cold, closed a second later.

 

 

 

“So Eun-ssi!”

“So Eun?”

 

After a moment of hesitation, So Eun opened her eyes. “Yes?” She sounded dazed.

“So Eun. Take a drink, and stop falling asleep, would you? How embarrassing; you just don’t sleep at a wedding, you know,” the voice snapped.

It was Hong Jin Young.

She let out a half terrified, half relieved yelp. “You’re here,” she whispered, eyes watering.

Jin Young rolled her eyes. “Yes, I suppose I am.”

Frantically, So Eun reached out to wrap her hands around Jin Young’s. “Unnie, you gotta get me out of here. I need to get out, now. Right now.”

Jin Young frowned, staggered by the unexpected response, and opened to speak- and faltered, interrupted by the presence of a soon-to-be groom standing behind So Eun.

 

The man tapped So Eun lightly on the shoulders. “Glad you came.”

So Eun turned around, face to face, with Song Jae Rim. Within a second, So Eun comprehended the situation- Jae Rim’s hair slicked back, the tuxedo, the gold band on his fourth finger-

“Wouldn’t have missed it,” She murmured.

“You’re the best,” he laughed, and reached forward to clear a lose strand of hair away from her face.

Her eyes burned. Well, that settles it. There goes the man she loves. He might as well reach out to tear the remains of her heart out from her chest.

"Appreciate it, sweetheart. I really wasn't sure if you were going to come- you did sound hesitant over the phone."

"Well, I- I.. I.. you can see me?"

Jae Rim looked at So Eun, head cocked, unsure of how to react, before laughing boyishly at her dumbfounded expression.

"You sure know how to get me to relax," Jae Rim smiles, wiping at the corners of his eyes. "God, the wedding had me all tensed up. But I knew I could count on you."

He smiled wider, and cupped So Eun's cheeks, pulling her closer, and placed a soft kiss on her forehead. "Best friend."

The left corner of So Eun's mouth curved up, despite her heavy heart, at the warmth Jae Rim left on her cheeks. He was so close, and still, she missed him. She missed this. But even with him now, embracing her with such warmth and unexplicable care, her mind was a tangled mess of conflict- content of having him finally near her, and bitter of the realization that it was over. So Eun and Jae Rim was over.

 

"Are you done with that?" A hushed, urgent whisper interrupted her flooding thoughts.

So Eun's head snapped back to face Jin Young, who had tried her best to wait as patiently possible.

So Eun had completely forgotten about Jin Young in the midst of her interaction with Jae Rim. But at the sight of Jin Young, unstable confusion spiraled into her mind, knocking all rational, logical thoughts out her head. Jae Rim could see her, so she assumed this was real life. But now that she thinks about it, she doesn't recall waking up. And Hong Jin Young was here.

Where was she before the wedding? Everything was a blur.

The hospital! She didn't wake up, no. She was in her nighties. Horror struck, she glanced down at her attire. Gray and plain and formal and most definitely a proper wedding attire.

She pushed herself completely away from Jae Rim's arms, ignoring the silent protests that instantly swarmed inside her head. "Goodbye," she said abruptly, and promptly turned her back on him, following Jin Young to outside the flower garden.

She looked back once, to at least wave a proper goodbye, but by then he was crowded with guests and the bride, Min Young, herself.

 

"This real, or a dream?" So Eun asked, while trying to match up to Jin Young's hurried pace.

"Dream, but why ever would that mean this wouldn't be real?"

Enough with the mind .

"Okay. I've seen his past, present, and future. I get it. I know why you've been taking me around to these times. I don't need to see anymore."

Jin Young halted to a sudden stop. "But you haven't seen-"

So Eun shook her head, allowing a shattered release of breath to escape her lips. "I was pathetic. Fawning over someone who's clearly in love with someone else. I took him for granted when I could've had him, and I longed for him when it was too late. This is fate, teaching me to be less haste with my decisions. I was denying the fact he'd never love me, because well,- I loved him. And it hurt to think that he wouldn't reciprocate my feelings. I was a fool."

"So Eun-"

"No. You did  good. Without this experience, I still would've been denying the obvious outcome. You helped me differentiate dreams from reality. I- I'm really grateful; honest."

"Fine. Follow me to our last stop, and I swear this'll all be over," Jin Young huffed.

The blue sky turned bright orange, and the world around her shifted.

 

Crossed eyed and extremely dizzy, So Eun blinked hard to attain better focus.

Apple trees... corn fields.. and a cottage house not too far ahead of her, cozy and dollish. The air was crisp and cold, causing a fresh mintiness to expand in her chest within each inhale.

So Eun looked around, enjoying the beautiful simpleness of the view in front of her. The perks of living in the country side....

Jin Young was nowhere around- not that she expected her to be here, anyway- and so So Eun walked to the cottage herself, enjoying the tickling sensation of the cool grass blades in between her bare toes.

 

She bothered to knock when she approached the small house, but no response, so she cautiously walked in.

Inside the cottage were furnitures all made of wood, from the dining table to chairs to cabinets. The quilted curtains and bricked fireplace made the girl inside So Eun want to squeal. She just barely had it in her to stop herself from marching to the kitchen to inspect the delicious, fruity scent of what she expected came from homemade pies and tarts.

And then the door creaked open, suddenly, shifting So Eun's attention away from the kitchen. A rush of chilled morning air blew in with the man bundled up in a heavy wool coat.

"Home," the man announced roughly, and stripped away the heavy clothing.

"About time," snapped an irritated voice, feminine, from inside the room opposite the entrance.

"Min Young. Can't you come over to greet your husband for a second or two?"

The man was Jae Rim, well in his forties. Beside the crinkles in his eyes and the developing mustache and beard, he looked exactly as he did in his thirties.

An exasperated sigh, and thump, thump, thump.

Min Young aged as well, more so than her husband. Several gray hairs, wrinkles, and glasses.

"I'm sick and tired of you coming home late. I'm sick and tired of this place, and most of all, you." Her arms were firmly crossed, eyes burning aggressively.

"Show some respect," Jae Rim snarled.

"You show me respect!" Min Young burst into an angry cry, unfolding her arms to shove Jae Rim to the floor. "I've dealt with all your bull- you wanting to resign our celebrity lives, you wanting to live in the country side. And you don't even have it in you to at least pretend that you love me."

The fire in Jae Rim's eyes died, and he uncertainly gazed at his feet.

"I do love you."

"Don't give me that," Min Young sniffles. "You love one woman, and we both know who that is."

Jae Rim doesn't say anything for a while. "Since when-"

"Quite a while," Min Young answers dryly, dabbing a tissue at her damp eyelids. "Your preference of the Marc Jacobs perume. Your demands of dates in the amusement parks, despite your acrophobia. The initials 'S.K.' tattooed on your left shoulder. The name you call during your sleep and . Your frequent trips to the swamp. Really, oppa. I am not blind."

"I don't know what to say," Jae Rim says at last, avoiding Min Young's heated glare. "I hoped- I hoped you wouldn't ever have to find out."

"And I hoped you'd never get your memories back."

"I haven't gotten them back."

Min Young ignores this, and makes her way back to her bedroom. "Sleep on the couch, would you? I don't need to sleep with a married man who's infatuated with a woman other than his wife. And your porridge is in the microwave."

"Min Young, I'm sorry. I really am." Jae Rim calls, softly. "There are some feelings I just can't seem to control."

So Eun silently observes Min Young's small smile and unshed tears. "I'm sorry you have to spend the rest of your life with a woman you can't love."

 

And So Eun wakes up with a start.

Hands clammy, and her satin night gown stuck to her moist back.

She looks around. Bedroom, good.

It was all a stupid dream. And one hell of a dream it had been.

Her eyes shift around some more, and a certain object catches her attention.

A ghostly chill ran over from her neck to her toes like a tsunami, sending all tendrils of hair in her body to stand. Her back bone stiffens, and an irritating humming nips at her ears.

Her glass vase. They were shattered to a million of pieces on the floor.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

I won't even bother with an excuse.

I suffered with the biggest writer's block ever, and my passion for Solim died with the their last episode in WGM.

But. Our sweethearts are back together, in their recent drama, Our Gapsoon! And that inspired me to get going.

As I am getting older and busier, writing has become less of a priority. But I am determined to let you see an end to this story. That can't, unfortunately, be said same for my other fic, Ray of Light. When I started that, I came up with the most complex, K-drama worthy plot. It was gonna be at least forty chapters long. And sadly, I'm not as devoted to it to continue.

Which I'm ashamed of. But not enough to spare hours to come up with thirty plus chapters. My apologies.

But on the bright side, for my Solim fans, I'm planning to have a scheduled update. Every two to three weeks, on a Saturday or so, a chapter will be updated. And that's a promise. It's about time, too, I reckon.

I'm sorry to have all of you kept waiting for so long, and thank you so, so much for being patient with me.

Always comment and subscribe! That's the vitamin C to us authors. :D

 

 

 

ronnijinx: And thank you for the comment.

_sofie_: Well, the story was lost for a year. I lower my head, but a better future is most definitely guaranteed. Thanks so much for you support, reader-nim.

omgvip: Zombies and Min Young are my specialty! Haha, thanks for your comment, reader-nim. I was done with the zombies, I thought, but if you like them so much, maybe I'll have them feature, in another future chapter? X)

elf_momo96: And chapter eight is up, after a year. And you know, I do love 'and they all lived happily ever after' endings. They aren't any fun, of course, to write, but they do make me all fuzzy inside. I too, am a young girl at heart. So keep dreaming! Thanks so much for your support, and sorry for the long wait.

sweety797979: And here it is! The next wait will be relatively shorter, I swear.

DeeanaRZ: I will definitely keep them coming. It's always exciting to see new usernames to pop out in the comment section.Thanks for commenting, and sorry for the long wait.