Morning After

The MSG to my Kimchi Stew

An earsplitting scream.

Busy scattering to collect clothes on the ground.

Meaningless rambles and excuses.

Angry accusations that turned into heartbroken sobs.

 

All in all, today made the worst morning after in the history of morning afters.

 

“How could you?” Min Young demand, fingers clutched on to Jae Rim’s hair, tears streaming down her eyes.

Jae Rim winced as Min Young successfully pulled out a good chunk of his hair. Palms rubbing against one another and knees planted to the ground, Jae Rim pleaded, “I- I’m sorry. I didn’t expect you today-“

“I’m sorry,” Min Young spat, vehemence sparking across her eyes, sarcasm evident in her tone, “I did come over to check up on you and bring you some lunch. Why, how inconsiderate of me, your girlfriend, to come over without asking. Not giving you time to clean up after your dirty deeds. Please, finish.”

So Eun, who had just finished putting on her skirt, stood flustered and awkwardly against the corner of the bedroom, trapped and vulnerable against Min Young’s rage.

“And you,” Min Young growled, her attention turning to So Eun. “You -“

Hey,” Jae Rim snapped, a hint of warning creeping into his voice.

“Hey yourself, Jae Rim. Like playing righteous, do you? How ing ironic.”

Jae Rim’s eyes narrowed, and his tightly sealed lips parted opened before he sealed them tight again, as if he had something to say, but thought better of it.

Min Young, with dampened eyes, stares down at him with a steely gaze, a strange combination of defeat and victory playing with her expression.

“Let’s be civil,” Jae Rim suggests, but it sounds more like a plea than a demand. He then quickly squeezes his eyes shut, as if he expected the ticking bomb to once again blow.

The blow did not come.

“Fine,” was all Min Young said, and her grasp in the strands of hair relaxes. She takes a step back from him and crosses her arms, allowing him to get up and massage his sore scalp. She watches him straighten up, eyes icy and lips curled into a distasteful sneer.

“I’m sorry.”

Min Young stays silent, a venomous expression still plastered on her face. Her arms remained cross; she waits for further explanation.

Jae Rim knows that behind Min Young’s cold demeanor and tough façade, she was crumbling. He had two ways to settle this dispute. And what Min Young is hoping he would choose, he simply could not. Not after last night.

Not after he had spent all of last night feeling his heart beat steadily against So Eun’s.

When he locked eyes with Min Young, a brief understanding was exchanged.

Min Young looked away in a hurry, refusing to admit the given. Panic clawed at , and her vision flashed a few times. Her eyes met Jae Rim’s once more- were his eyes filled with guilt, or sympathy?

“Was it a drunken mistake?” Min Young asked, careful not to sound too hopeful. Her heart clenched and unclenched, desperately sending signals that might-

“No.”

Delicate, but firm.

As if it were something he’s made his mind about years ago, and decided he ran out of further reasons to contemplate.

Min Young breathed in deep, and looked up, thinking. Her pride became more wounded as she looked at So Eun, still staring at the ground, probably waiting for Min Young to get out of here, and out of Jae Rim’s life.

Well, . You’re messing with the wrong woman.

“Straighten up and get dressed,” Min Young snapped, after a moment of silence.

Jae Rim looked up at her, left brow arched, looking dazed.

“I think it’s a better idea that we release the official statement of our engagement to the press sooner than later. With your head running about and all.”

Jae Rim continued to stare at her, part in amazement, part in horror. “What?”

“You heard me,” Min Young remarked, glaring at him. “Get dressed.”

Jae Rim ran his hands over his neck, looking downright exhausted. “No.”

“No?”

Jae Rim stood up, staggering upon realizing that his left leg has numbed. Giving it a few punches to stimulate blood flow, he made his way to Min Young, and looked at her evenly in his eyes. He placed a hand on her right cheek, “I’m calling off the engagement. I’m sorry.”

Min Young swiped his hand away as if it had burned her. “Call off the engagement? Who says you get to decide?”

Min Young.” Jae Rim was now beginning to sound exasperated.

“I hope you don’t misunderstand,” Min Young retorts, holding up her left hand for Jae Rim to see, “but as long as I have this ring on, I am still your fiancée.”

Jae Rim looked as if wanted nothing more than to say, well, return it then, will you?

But he won’t. And Min Young knew he won’t, because after what he’s done, and after she’s witnessed what he’s done, Jae Rim wouldn’t have the audacity to.

“You are to wed to me in two weeks,” Min Young continued, ignoring the looks exchanged between Jae Rim and So Eun.

She didn’t give two s. Who did they think they were? Star crossed lovers?

“Min- Min Young-ssi,” So Eun finally spoke up in a small voice.

Min Young feigned an apologetic smile. “I’m sorry, So Eun-ssi. I just don’t think I’m capable of being on my best behavior today. Try to understand, will you? I mean- what would you have done if you were in my shoes, walking in on your fiancée rolling about in his sheets with another woman?”

So Eun cowered under Min Young’s aggressive remark, but continued nonetheless, “We were wrong to do what we’ve done, and we deserve the consequences for our actions. But understand that what you’re requesting-“

“What I’m requesting?” Min Young laughed, shaking her head. “This is for your sake, sweetheart.”

Min Young sat down on a chair nearby and crossed her legs, making herself comfortable. She felt oddly good, as she felt a sense of authority- superiority, of some sort, which assured her security. She was in control over this situation. It felt good. A small part of her did.

Despite everything, her heart was breaking to a million pieces.

She did her best to avoid meeting Jae Rim’s eyes. Because, what she really wanted to do was to run to him, wrap herself around his embrace. She wanted to create thunderstorms and let the rivers flow.

She knew he’d comfort her.

He’d tell her he was sorry, and he would’ve meant it.

He’d tell her he loves her.

But not in that way, not anymore.

And she’d have no choice but to let him go.

She couldn’t let that happen. Because heart breaks , and she’d just gotten over one. She had finally found someone who loved her the way she wanted to be loved, and she was certain no one else could love her the same, ever, not in this lifetime.

He had loved her when she was bored with him.

He had loved her when she was toying with him.

He had loved her even after she broke his heart.

He had loved her throughout his accident, PTSD, coma, and all else.

He had loved her for years.

Unconditional love.

Min Young wasn’t convinced that the limit to the said unconditional love is a random chick he’s met in a scripted variety show.

Physical attraction? Possibly. Gratitude? Maybe. Thinking with his pants? Likely.

But how dare he compare.

“I’ll inform them of your affair if you don’t comply.”

Exchanged looks of terror.

“You wouldn’t,” Jae Rim says, searching her eyes.

He could search all he likes. Min Young was prepared to go through all measures. “Try me.”

Jae Rim released an angry breath, and ran his hands through his hair before letting it slack against his sides. “This isn’t good for both for us. Mind you, you’ll be marrying someone who has no love for you.”

This made her heart pump through a set of electric jolts of pain.

The man who had loved her. The man who’d spent nights holding her in his arms, whispering sweet nothings in her ears to lull her to sleep.

The same man was now spitting venom and spikes to wound her.

“That’s my concern, not yours,” Min Young replied, as aloofly as she can make out.

“Have you no pride?”

“None,” Min Young snapped, rising from her chair, “for they have all gone by the second you have decided to lay with another woman.”

He didn’t speak after that.

“I’ll be waiting for you in my car. I hope that this time, you make the right decision.” Min Young dusted herself off, and readjusted the handle strap of her purse as she walked herself to the door. Before leaving, she abruptly turns to So Eun, who was now staring blankly ahead.

“I hope you don’t hate me for this, So Eun-ssi. I certainly don’t hate you. It’s better we start looking at the greener side of grass. Think of it this way. Your reputation will not get damaged. You’ll start off with a clean slate. And I’m positive you are capable of finding a better man.” Min Young shoots a dry look at Jae Rim. “You know what they say. Once a cheater, always a cheater. We can’t have everything we want, but there’s no need to make things ugly.”

She’s out of the room when she decides to turn around once more. “That is, if we can agree to settle this my way.”

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Hi all, it's your girl Jay.

It's been a long time since an update, but you know the drill. School, work, blah blah blah.

Since when did I start writing 'Msg'? Two three years ago, I think. It's crazy to think how little I've updated in those years, but I've just lost commitment over time. I apologize to anyone I disappointed.

To stop dragging the story and satisfy those who've patiently waited, I've decided to cut the story short. 

It wasn't going to be too long to begin with. As you can tell from the title alone, I've originally planned on making 'Msg' comical, lightweight, and a whole lot more fluffy. I honestly didn't think it would turn out to the dark, complicated, angsty mess of work that it just turned out to be. I guess this just happened to more fun writing about, haha. 

Anway, being the dramatic angst 'Msg' turned out to be, I could keep thinking of ideas on top of ideas to keep the plot going. It's creative and super fun, but definitely not what I planned for it to become. And things could get super messy, which no one likes. 

So I think I'll set the limit to 15/16 chapters. Just to keep me focused, and prevent me from getting side tracked with sub plots and what not. 

I'm still determined to finish 'Msg'. I've already put 'ROL' on permanent hiatus, and trust me, that was not fun. 

Thanks to all of you who managed to keep up until now, and thanks for all your support, interest, and positive energy. 

Much love,

J.C.