Day Two

The MSG to my Kimchi Stew

 

“Oppa, you okay?”

Back in the hospital, Min Young was still trying to comfort Jae Rim the best within her abilities.

Aggravation was written boldy on his face. Jae Rim gingerly rubbed the temple of his forehead, trying (and failing, might he add) to calm the heavy beating of his head.

Jae Rim dropped a chaste kiss on Min Young’s forehead. “No, it’s nothing. Don’t worry about it.”

Min Young smiled warmly, and wrapped her arms delicately around his neck, as if she was afraid it might fall off. “You can’t hide anything from me, you know that.”

It was that, or because he was naturally not very good at numbing his facial expressions.

“Do you happen to know that woman- So Eun-ssi, was it?”

Min Young scrunched up her eyebrows. “Yes, but it’s my first time meeting her in person today. She was in a variety show with you, oppa...why?”

“I can’t remember her, but I have a feeling I should.”

Veins were visible on the temple of Jae Rim’s head, Min Young noticed.

Min Young tried not to feel so insecure, but what could she say? All that had occupied Jae Rim’s mind today had been Kim So Eun, from the moment she had left the hospital. She felt a sudden need to stir him away from this topic.

“Remember what the doctor said, oppa,” Min Young said sternly. “He told you not to push yourself into remembering your past. It’ll all come to you naturally.”

Jae Rim knew, but it wasn’t like he could keep his brain from thinking about the things it wanted to think about.

 

Jae Rim swears he could've died from the lack of oxygen the moment So Eun walked into his room. He had held in his breath, and failed to remember to breathe out.

Merely looking at her had hurt him. His heart had clenched and unclenched repeatedly, and Jae Rim felt downright giddy as he looked into the different shades of brown in her eyes.

His heart thumped against his chest some more; it was as if it remembered something that his brain had failed to remember.

Each beating of his heart rang to him like a reminder:

Thump. You know this woman.  Thump. Nostalgic memories.  Thump. Remember the color of her eyes?

And that crestfallen look she had on her face, he would never forget.

Why couldn’t he remember?

His conscience- the sensible side of him, answered: You have the capability to remember. You just don't want to.

Which is partly true, Jae Rim supposed. Simply thinking about So Eun agonized him, more so physically than mentally. The pounding of his brain would increase rapidly, his heart would nearly drop heavy to his feet, and it felt as if acid ate through his stomach lining.

Once he stopped thinking about her, the pain would go away.

 

“Oppa,” Min Young called out gently, lacing her fingers through his. “It’s rude to think of another woman when your beautiful girlfriend’s right beside you.” She called out in a teasing manner, but Jae Rim thinks he caught a glimpse of hurt in her eyes, and he immediately felt guilty.

He held her hand tighter for a moment before relaxing. “You know you’re the only one I loved, after all this time. How else would I have remembered you even after the accident?”

He expected her to brighten, but Min Young only looked bothered. “You know oppa, I was the who broke your heart. I heard from all your friends about how hard it was for you to cope with our break up, but I didn’t even have the decency to give you a call.”

Min Young’s face scrunched up, as if she was ready to burst into tears. “And I left you to be broken for eight years. But you insist you’ve never moved on. That you’ve always loved me…”

Jae Rim, who had done nothing but gape, paralyzed with Min Young’s unexpected break down, finally cracked up a small grin. He cupped her face tenderly, and wiped a falling tear away with his thumb. “So what. You feel too bad for our relationship to continue?”

Min Young returned the small grin. “How can you be so good?”

“When you first came into the room to visit, I just remembered. My memories of you came flowing to me; it was unbelievably lucid. I remember the times when we were madly in love. I would take you out for a drink at every chance I had, because you were extremely lovable once you became drunk- babbling to me about how much you loved me, and how you can’t live without me.”

Min Young burst into a fit of giggles, causing Jae Rim to chuckle.

“And that day- January 16th, 2007. When you called me over to that café near SeoMyun, and abruptly ended our perfect relationship- I went nearly suicidal. Vowed to myself I would never love anyone again, in fear of my heart being broken. But I never did stop thinking about you. I tried convincing myself that I didn’t love you, that you were just another obstacle in my life. I thought time would heal wounds. Yet I couldn’t get over you. And when you came rushing into my room yesterday, sobbing your apology, claiming how madly you were still in love with me- I’ve never been more happy in my life.”

Min Young buried her head against his chest, taking a good whiff at Jae Rim’s masculine scent. Jae Rim dropped a kiss at the crown of her head.

All this was true.

Well, relatively true.

Jae Rim remembered how sick his mentality had been right after his break up with Min Young. He called off his months’ worth schedule and stayed home, eating tons, and gaining tons of weight. His manager would’ve kicked him off it wasn’t for the contract. But he also remembered how he was able to get back on his game, one day, out of the blue. He’d suddenly become the hottest issue on internet, and received loads of requests to star in variety shows, dramas, and photo shoots. He’d always come home, exhausted as hell, but somehow, happy. Yes, he remembers being happy, too. He’d never seen his life so meaningful after the heartbreak. What caused his life to change?

He’d have to wonder forever.

Jae Rim didn’t find it too troubling, or necessay to tell this to Min Young, so he only bid her good bye before calming himself to sleep.

 

He woke up panting after an hour; alarmed by his dream.

His dream played out in a third dimension setting from his point of view. In his dream, he saw a man with a woman of whom he couldn't manage to identify. It became self evident that the man accompanying the woman was none other than Song Jae Rim, himelf, but the woman’s face was always angled away from his viewpoint. Sometimes she turned around, but her face was either blurred, or obscurred by the strands of her long, dark, hair. And right when the focus was nearing the woman’s face, the scene changed.

It frustrated him til no end.

It wouldn’t have bothered him too much, except for the fact that the scenes that his dream payed out- it felt so real, as if had happened before. Déjà vu, it felt like. And even if he couldn't see the girl's face, Jae Rim knew for sure it was not Min Young, but she too, was familiar.

And he just looked so damn happy. The happiest he's seen himself, in his life.

.

 Jae Rim couldn’t manage to fall asleep after that. He spent six restless hours pacing around the confined room, waiting to greet morning.

 

 

So Eun woke up exactly at six in the morning.

Her eyes gleamed with determination. She was going back to the hospital, regardless of what Min Young or Jae Rim thought. And she wouldn’t ever leave, until he remembered. She would throw a tantrum if they were to force her to leave.

Min Young wouldn't ever display her disapproval in public, and how could she? The viewers had loved the chemistry between Jae Rim and her. Maybe Jae Rim loves Min Young right now, but… but he had loved her too, So Eun wanted to believe.

But she couln't stay optimistic forever; the glass will never stay half full. In So Eun's case, Min Young will be the verdict who will have drained her glass.

Sometimes, she wondered why she was visiting the hospital. Jae Rim was fine, and she had already visited him once. He had Park Min Young as his lover. And in So Eun’s record, Jae Rim didn’t want her around, even as a companion. She would only be breaking her own heart.

It’s because you don’t mind having your heart broken, as long as you can see him.

Hmmm?

You love him.

So Eun felt her cheeks color. “Oh, so what? Some people are just easy to love.”

It is quite apparent, these days, that she was becoming insane.

She concentrated on making sea weed soup, instead.It was a recipe passed down from her mother, so it had to be delicious.

She tasted some. She was right; it was delicious. Her mother was a genius.

So Eun carefully poured the soup into a stainless container, and took out the utensils need.

All she needed to prepare now, was her heart, and then she would be ready to go.

 

Jae Rim was alone when So Eun first stepped in to his visitor’s room.

So Eun was proud of herself for waking up early.

“I’m not leaving until you remember me,” So Eun stated firmly. “You can’t make me.”

So Eun realized that she had been too cautious with Jae Rim the day before. Most deffinately not her character, to say the least. It would’ve been a miracle for Jae Rim to remember her for who she was. Today, she would act as her usual self. This will have to help him remember. She couldn’t force him, but he would have to try.

So Eun tried to look assured, but she couldn’t stop herself from shooting a worried glance over to Jae Rim. She didn’t know what she would do if he really wanted her out.

Jae Rim’s expression was impenetrable.

Well, it wasn’t like her to wait for an answer, anyways. She made herself comfortable in his bed, and helped herself to a glass of water.

A sudden, quirky laugh escaped Jae Rim’s throat, causing So Eun to nearly choke in surprise.

“You’re the demanding type, aren’t you?” Jae Rim smiled, somewhat fondly.

So Eun felt bold. “You like the bossy type of women.”

“I’m sure. I’m glad you came, by the way.”

So Eun cocked her eyebrow in anticipation.

“I’ve been wanting to apologize for my behavior yesterday. I was just exhausted, after the surgery.”

Well, this is better than yesterday, at least.

“It’s fine. I’m sorry too. I didn’t know you were suffering from concussion. We have a lot of catching up to do, you know. And if you want me to leave, you’d have to throw me out yourself.” So Eun looked at him, eyes steely.

“Check.”

So Eun fiddled with her fingers. “So, uh- you don’t remember anything about me?”

Jae Rim felt repentant. “I’m sorry.”

So Eun waved his apology off carelessly. She hadn't expected any more than this. “’S Alright. I’m your… I’m a friend. I’m your very close friend. See, we were in a variety show together, where people are paired up to be virtual married, and...”

 

 

They definitely had a whole lot of catching up to do.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Hi, guys. Long time no see?

I apologize. It took me forever to update, but it's almost close to being finished.

Actually, not quite. It's around 65% done, though, so it's getting there.

This chapter, as you can see, explains the beginning of the first chapter. It's a boring chapter, since there's not much of Solim fluff.

Next chapter will be better.

Either way, thanks for the reviews. They really got me motivated to keep writing; you guys are the best.

Eatchorice: Thanks for the comment. Yeah, I'll have to start updating The Ray of LIght as well. I'll probably update around July or August, seeing my pace, but not promises.... Either way, the fic's not abandoned. So don't worry. I'll update, sooner or later.

supafly09: Thank you. Your comment made me want to update faster. ;)

ileanamty: Yes, it's Park Min Young the actress. I'm glad you liked(?) the traumatic beginning of the story.

skyraine: It seems like you figured out the purpose I had in mind for the fic! It's like: Be grateful for what you have when it's yours. I don't know. Something like that. Thanks so much for the comment.

Myshineeonew: Aww... I love my sentimental viewers. Hopefully, the next chapter won't torture you as much. But I don't know, I really love reading sentimental viewsl >:)

elf_momo96: I personally think they look cute together, too. Especially in this chapter, there's a lot of JaeYoung(?) fluff going on. But nothing beats the Solim couple.

zh2904: Aww.....Thank you. :). I'm glad you liked the story. Feel free to tell me each time you cried, because I think it's cute. Like I said, I love my sentimental viewers.

lilac109: Thank you so much for the upvote. It really gives me the motivation to write. We'll make it through this story together. :)

 

Big thank you to my awesome supporters!

Thank you for your subscription, comments, and upvotes!