The Aftermath of the Accident

The MSG to my Kimchi Stew

Yes. This is Kim So Eun,” So Eun snapped at the receptionist, for the nth time. “Yes, I have some sort of connection with Song Jae Rim. I need to see him? Right now?”

The receptionist seemed appalled by So Eun’s behavior. “I understand how you feel, miss, but you know I can’t allow that. His operation is nowhere near finished. What in your right state of mind made you think I would let you in the operation room?”

“You’re right,” So Eun spat, banging on the counter with the palm of her hand, “But you can obviously see that I’m not in the right state of my mind, can’t you? Don’t you understand? I was in the car accident with him! I have every right to see him, whenever I want!”

“So Eun -ssi.” The receptionist’s eyes flared dangerously. “You’re corrupting the hospital’s peace. If you act out again, I’ll make sure to have you pulled out by the security guards.”

Jesus. What happened to humanity? Just because they were sick of dealing with visitors of dying patients everyday didn’t make it permissible for them to treat the visitors tactlessly.

So Eun reckoned that the public display of her attitude may ruin her celebrity career- no one likes a termagant. But right now, as of this moment, she didn’t have the heart to care.

She in her breath, feeling her heartbeat decrease. Her sore body was in great need of sleep, but she didn’t have the audacity to relax. Many times, she had attempted to take a quick nap, so that her body wouldn’t betray her and leave her to unconsciousness.

But she couldn’t. Every time she closed her heavy eyelids, they would just flutter right back open.

 

She had heard his rapid heartbeat…

She had heard his tormented, airy gasp turn into pitchy moans, as that too, eventually died off with the wailing of the sirens and the vociferous crowd.

She had felt his quivering fingers caress the left side of her clammy cheek, in effort to reassure her, comfort her the best they could, before they altogether dropped, completely motionless.

 

All this haunted her until no end.

So Eun could feel him.

Hear him.

See him.

Even with her eyes closed, the scene would replay over and over again, allowing her to burst into tears of frustration and guilt.

 

 

Song Jae Rim, that idiot, had lunged himself onto her, shielding her from the countless number of glass shards that had managed to pierce through the air bag.

Not a single part of her body had been left unprotected. Jae Rim’s arms had securely wrapped So Eun’s head to his chest, smothering her, while both of his hands had been firmly planted to the two handles of the seat.

She didn’t know what had happened after that, because she had kept her eyes shut.

The car thrashed about, but she didn’t budge. Jae Rim held her to her place.

And at last, the car stilled after a screeching halt.

Even then, So Eun had still been very aware of her surroundings, which meant that she hadn’t lost her consciousness. She didn’t even hurt, really, except for the soreness of her neck that had just begun to creep in.

So yes, she was very much surprised to see herself covered in blood. Blood stained in her shirt, as well as her hair, hardening them into clumps. She smelt the pungent odor of blood. It smelled of heavy metal and rotting flesh. She realized that there was blood on her face. It dripped from her forehead to her eyes, stinging and blurring her vision to red. Her hands were also covered in dried blood. Every cuticle was detailed with crusty blood stains.

All this blood made her dizzy.

This is when she out, she thinks.

 

 

When she regained consciousness, she found herself perfectly unharmed, with an exception of a few cuts from the glass shards, here and there.

“Nothing had penetrated too deeply inside your body,” the nurse informed her. “It’s truly a miracle. There was a great chance of you dying in that car accident, but look at you. You don’t even need to go through an operation.”

Not even of blood loss, So Eun had asked her.

The lady laughed at her. “Why, they’re only a few cuts!”

But she had been drenched in blood….

“Well, the thing is, So Eun –ssi...” The nurse flinched, looking somewhat uncomfortable. “You’re fine, but the passenger… the person who accompanied you….”

The nurse shot her a desperate look. “Song Jae Rim -ssi is currently going through a heavy operation. He’s diagnosed with concussion, blood loss, and intracranial hemorrhage. Additionally, his spine was limp, and broken limbs were also detected. I’m afraid the operation will take longer than just a couple of weeks, and even after the operation, Jae Rim -ssi is obligated to stay in the hospital as a patient, until he fully recovers. I’m- I’m sorry, So Eun -ssi. This is too much to handle at once… I hope it doesn’t bother you too much; you do really need to rest…”

So Eun blanched.

And she couldn’t sleep a wink since then. She’s remained in the hospital even after she’d been permitted for release. She’d wait in the visitor’s room every day, hoping of good results.

During those long hours, she’d cry until her eyes turned dry, prayed until her heart ached, and reminded herself of the car accident so often that the incident just couldn’t significantly affect her anymore.

She became absolutely stolid. The long waiting hours in the visiting room had numbed her gradually, and thoroughly. Little by little, she had started to accept reality.

She lost all hope by the twenty third day. It seemed to her as if the operation would never end.

She grinned sadly, before making her way out the hospital.

“Good bye, oppa….”

 

 

 

After nineteen days have gone since her last stay in the hospital, So Eun continued on with her regular life, forgetting about Song Jae Rim.

Not completely, of course.

Every Monday, she’d be sentimental again, in memories of her with Jae Rim.

According to the doctors, Jae Rim’s surgery was supposedly finished. Many times, she had thought about visiting the hospital, just to see his face. But she simply could not find the courage to go.

He wasn’t even conscious. Seeing him in that state would destroy her.

So it was no surprise that So Eun came across a mental breakdown when one day, out of the blue, the doctors from the Pyung Hwa Hospital called her frantically, informing her that Song Jae Rim had finally regained his consciousness.

 

 

Tuesday, May 19th, 2015. Nine twenty in the morning.

So Eun had been feasting on cup noodles for breakfast when the phone rang. When she heard of Jae Rim’s conditions, her noodles came up from , and somehow got through her nose.

She spluttered and laughed at the same time; she couldn’t help herself.

When she hung up the phone, she felt something heat up inside her. She felt deliciously toasty, as if she had just drunk a steamy mug of hot chocolate in one gulp. The thought of Song Jae Rim warmed her to her toes.

In a hurry, she stumbled to her bureau, straightening her posture.

No, she mustn’t rush. She wanted to look her very best.

So Eun carefully curled every piece of her hair with perfection, and did her makeup like how an artist would paint a canvas. She examined all the clothing in her closet critically, before selecting a feminine, lace detailed dress from Egoist. She teamed up her dress with a beige colored hose and her favorite gray pumps from Sisley. Then, she spritzed on some of some of her favorite perfume.

Daisy, by Marc Jacobs, So Eun thought happily. Jae Rim had complemented her in that perfume.

She was so excited, her heart was ready to burst out of her chest, and jump its’ way to the hospital for her. When was the last time she felt so alive?

With much exhilaration, she swung open the door, and rushed down the stairs.

Then she went inside her mom’s car and started the engine without a moment of hesitation.

How strange. She had a trauma of driving in a car since the car accident. She swore to herself she’d never touch another steering wheel, (in a car or not) as long as she lived.

Even when her managers had offered driving for her, So Eun refused, because she just felt much safer in her bicycle, thank you very much. And when they insisted on her being inside the cursed vehicle, So Eun made sure that she was sandwiched between her managers, seated in the back, and clutched on to that thin strap of seatbelt for her dear life.

The car didn’t scare her so much today.

No longer was it a cursed vehicle. Today, it is a miraculous vehicle that would take her to the hospital in less than five minutes.

The hospital was too far for her to walk in these lovely pumps, and she simply did not have the patience to wait for a taxi cab.

 

Because she felt completely invincible today, So Eun drove as fast and as attentively as she could to the hospital, humming all the way.

The sun, she decided, had never shined as brightly as it did today.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Hi, just decided to upload the second chapter. Just because I wanted to get it finished before I lose motivation and end the chapter with poor Song Jae Rim unconscious.

Just kidding. I wouldn't be that cruel to you guys.

Anyways, yes, the chapter is done! This time, it's written in So Eun's perspective. (Since Jae Rim's unconscious and all).

Because I've pre written most parts of the stories, I'd be able to upload the chapters quickly.

So please don't give up on this fic. I worked so frigging hard on it. :( Because I just at typing.

And I won't give up on this fic either, because So Eun and Jae Rim will get together by the year 2015!

Haha, just a fangirl being a fangirl.

Anyways, thanks guys, for the support. Thanks for the comment, Soshiyul9. (Don't worry, the fates wouldn't be that cruel.)

And big thanks, to my eleven subscribers.

You guys are awesome. :) :) :)