The Confession

The MSG to my Kimchi Stew

So Eun rushed into the hospital, panting for oxygen. There was absolutely no need to rush, of course, but the racket her heart was causing made her quite anxious.

She recollected herself as she stepped inside the hospital entrance, clearing and tidying her hair. Giving her skirt a few dust pats, she walked with composure to the receptionist.

It was the same receptionist she had encountered a few months back. So Eun knew because of the same I’m-quite-fed-up-with-you expression she wore on her face.

“Kim So Eun, here to see Song Jae Rim.”

The receptionist only offered a thin lipped smile. “I’m sorry, So Eun-ssi, but I’m afraid there is no need to come to the hospital to visit patient Song Jae Rim anymore.”

“What do you mean?” So Eun snapped immediately, her temper wearing thin.

Seriously, this receptionist knew just how to run her blood dry.

The receptionist’s eyes narrowed disapprovingly. “What I mean, So Eun-ssi, is that Jae Rim-ssi has been discharged from the hospital.” Her dark pupils trailed away from So Eun’s mortified gaze, almost condescendingly, as if to say- unrequited love, huh?

So Eun in her bottom lip, eyes lowering to the ground in embarrassment. She could almost feel the look of mockery the receptionist cast down. She felt as though she were some kind of love sick pest.

She looked up reluctantly, and murmured a very soft ‘thank you’ before turning her heels, ready to dash out, scrapping in whatever bits of pride she still had left to carry with her.

“So Eun-ssi- wait.”

So Eun turned around, eyebrows arched, and was quite surprised to see that the receptionist wore a small smile on her face.

“Good luck,” She mouthed, causing So Eun’s eyes to suddenly well up.

So Eun returned a watery smile.

She thought the receptionist was rather pretty, smiling the way she is now.

 

She had no idea where Jae Rim lives, so she had no choice but to call him. It was late and pitch black outside, but she just couldn’t postpone her confession. Not when she’s postponed for so long already. She quickly punched in the numbers to make her call.

“Hello?” Jae Rim’s voice was rough and ragged, as if he had been woken from deep sleep. It still made So Eun’s heart pound furiously regardless, and So Eun had to hold in her breath a few seconds just to recollect herself.

“Hi, oppa. It’s So Eun. I’m sorry I’m calling at this hour, and you’re probably really exhausted- you sound like you just woke up- but I thought… I thought maybe we can meet up right now?”

“Right now?” Jae Rim sounded incredulous.

“If that’s okay.” So Eun was relentless.

“It’s midnight,” Jae Rim reminded her.

“I know.” She was almost breathless from hoping so hard.

“Ah- I guess you can come over to my house, if it’s that important. We’ll talk outside,” Jae Rim finally said, after a moment of hesitance.

“Thank you,” So Eun nearly squealed.

“Sure. I’ll send you the address through text.”

 

So Eun saw Jae Rim bundled up in a knitted blanked, shivering against the ice cold night air, as she pulled her car up the nearest parking space in the lot. He was too cute, rubbing his hands together for warmth, rocking back and forth the way he is now- it made So Eun ache.

Even the thin, cold air turned heavy as she walked closer to him.

And right now, as she stood face to face in front of him, his face an arm distance away from hers, sharp, hot pain jolted through her neck. Yes she was nervous, and so much more afraid. But not nearly enough for her to pass this opportunity.

If he was annoyed at her for waking him up in the middle of the night and have him wait for her in the freezing cold, he looked far from it. The corner of his mouth curved up into a messy grin, his dimple peeking. If anything, he looked shy, running his fingers through his tousled hair in attempt to calm the unruly strands.

He was so god damn lovable that confessing couldn’t get any easier.

“I’m really sorry I woke you up and demanded that I see you at a less than appropriate time,” So Eun started, grinning uneasily.

“Don’t worry about it,” Jae Rim brushed it off, his smile curving wider, a little more relaxed. “Though you’d better make it quick, before we both freeze to death.”

So Eun tried not to look disappointed. She had expected him, naturally, to invite her in. But she supposed that wouldn’t be appropriate with Min Young in the house.

If Min Young was living with him, that is.

The words were at the tip of her tongue, but So Eun asked instead, “You weren’t planning on inviting me in?”

Jae Rim let out a dry laughter, amused. “I didn’t think you would approve of that. I’m a man, and it is quite dark.”

So Eun perked up. “You should give yourself some credit. I never once thought of you as the type to take advantage.”

He laughed some more. “No, I know. But unspoken rules of courtesy.”

“If I’d rather not die out in the cold, and don't mind being invited in for coffee or something, would you?” So Eun asked innocently, batting her eyelashes.

“I would, but only after hesitating,” Jae Rim replied, his eyes softening.

“Well, Song Jae Rim-ssi. I wouldn’t mind warming up a few, if it doesn’t trouble you.”

“Well,” Jae Rim trailed off thoughtfully, his eyes staring up at the sky. “Okay, if you’re sure.”

 

So Eun has never been to Jae Rim’s flat before.

Being in the cramped space inside the elevator with Jae Rim was enough to trigger a high dose of dopamine, so to think that she’d be alone with him, in his house… She swears she might explode from excitement overstimulation.

To think about it, she’s never once been in a man’s house by herself, at this hour. Recently she’s exposed herself to many first times and new experiences.

She looks around the hallway, taking a guess at Jae Rim’s preference and personality, as Jae Rim sheepishly escorted her to the living room. Nothing special, So Eun supposed, as all apartment room goes. But every nerve inside of her was still thumping, and in the end, So Eun was just relieved to find that Min Young didn’t live with Jae Rim.

Not at the moment- not yet.

“Make yourself comfortable- I’ll fix you a cuppa.”

She smiled gratefully, eyes still scanning through picture frames by the shelf.

He came back minutes later, with two steaming mugs in his hands, his eyes looking at her questioningly.

He was nice- too gentleman, too polite to say no. But of course he knew that she wasn’t here just to make small talks and drink tea. In his book, they probably aren’t all that close, either.

So Eun took a small, careful sip of her tea, before settling it down to the coffee table. She felt oddly peaceful, her untamable energy from before melting with the silence of the night and the warmth radiating from the swallow of a hot drink.

Jae Rim, seated across from her, tipped his own mug to his lips when So Eun decidedly said, “I love you.”

It was a good thing he hadn’t taken a sip, or he would’ve scalded himself. A mental image of a man from a drama series spluttering out orange juice flashed across So Eun’s head, and So Eun would’ve laughed, if not for the stony look on Jae Rim’s face.

His face was blank, his mug and lips fixed in position.

So Eun couldn’t decide if he was in shock, or if he was simply thinking. She glanced at his fingers, wordlessly examining the gleaming ring. Knowing Jae Rim, he was probably thinking about a way to let her down gently. Soften the let down to the point it barely stings, and Jae Rim was probably good at that. But Jae Rim doesn’t know just how much So Eun loves him.

Finally he took a sip, and set his mug down on the table in front of him. “Since when?”

It broke So Eun’s heart that he wasn’t looking at her. Obviously, no good was going to come out of this. She answers anyway, “From the start.”

“Before or after the accident?”

“Before, but I found out after.”

“I know you don’t remember me the way I remember you. So of course you won’t reciprocate the feelings that I have for you, but I just had to tell you. My feelings were eating me alive and though my chest.” She started sniffling, in spite of her steady voice.

“I’m engaged,” was all he said. He turned to look at her, and an indescribable look flashed across his dark eyes. “I’m getting married.”

So Eun hiccupped. “I know,” she replied bitterly.

He didn’t say anything more after that.

So Eun decided she was not freaking out, the way she’d guessed she will have after receiving the big blow of rejection. Yes, her heart stung, way worse than an acid burn, but she’s made peace with herself at the very least. At least after today, she’d be able to sleep with her legs stretched out comfortably.

She still had lots more she wanted to tell him, but the one thing she wanted to most, she’s told. Her message was clear. And besides, So Eun thought, as she cautiously looked at Jae Rim’s stoic expression, it didn’t look as if he could handle anymore for tonight.

“You have to get over them,” Jae Rim said suddenly, breaking the silence.

So Eun looked at him in slight alarm. “Get over them?”

“Your feelings,” came his curt reply.

And that created the deepest gash to her dear, crippled heart, now completely in shambles. He was right, of course. So Eun realized how insensitive she was- she had known about his engagement with Min Young, and here she was, settled in Jae Rim’s sofa, in his house, at way past midnight, confessing her love for him. She’d hate herself too, if she were Min Young.

But still. She wouldn’t allow herself to regret her decision to confess.

So Eun looked at Jae Rim, who stared fixatedly back at her. She fidgets a little, because he looks a lot more harsher than she’d like. She’s never seen him this way. She supposed she deserves it, but still.

“I will get over them,” So Eun stated. Her voice was soft, but unwavering. “Honest, I don’t mean to cause you any trouble. I just had to, you know? Because you’re getting married, and I was running out of time.”

He looked away, his focus far away. His shoulders tense, and lips slightly apart, he remained unmoving.

“Don’t let this concern your relationship with Min Young. I’d hate to be a burden. I’ll stay away too, if that helps.” The thought of her distancing herself from him, when she had worked so hard to bring them closer, brought tears to her eyes. “I- I’m sorry.”

Of all the possible scenarios she’s cooked up with in her car, she couldn’t have imagined this one. Yes, she’s expected rejection. But not this kind of response, for his part. It was so unfamiliar and uncalled for, it made So Eun want to cry, just to get a reaction out of him.

She was beginning to regret confessing. It was guilt over broken hearted sadness.

She would have to leave before her feelings get the best of her. Hastily, she wiped the corner of her eyes with her thumb, and fumble to put the strap of her purse around her shoulders. She stood abruptly, straightening her skirt, and placed her half empty mug in the sink.

She glanced at Jae Rim once more before she left his house.

He looked straight ahead, still stiff and frozen in place. He didn’t move a muscle, not even when So Eun bid him a hurried goodbye.

Panicking, and trying desperately to recover from what happened inside Jae Rim’s house, So Eun swept herself down the stairs to the ground floor instead of taking the slow elevator. She was embarrassed, but for what, she wasn’t sure.

She jogged to her car, dug through her purse for the car keys, jammed the key inside the lock to start the engine, and was ready to drive the hell out of here-

…When she saw Jae Rim rushing out of the apartment building breathing hard, searching for her car- she could only guess- in the parking lot. The headlights of her car caught Jae Rim’s attention, and Jae Rim stormed over to it, his jaws clenched.

Unable to do anything else, So Eun stared at Jae Rim as he made his way to her car. Their eyes met as he walked closer still, his eyes burning with something close to fierce determination.

At this point, So Eun’s brain most likely resembles a pretzel, knotted up with that of mental crisis. It was one thing for him to flat out reject her confession, but to get angry for it- judging by the look on his face… if only her hands stopped shaking enough for her to twist the keys and drive away.

Jae Rim stood by her car, his eyes searching for hers through the window panel.

Or if her car seat could just swallow her up whole. That would be fine, too.

Reluctantly she looked at him.

She was startled to see tears. Two single tears from each eye, dripping down the curve of his cheeks and connecting to one by the end of his chin.

So Eun stared, dumbfounded, trying to come up with a proper reaction, response to this. She couldn’t. But as she felt a cold trickle drip from her own chin, she realized she was crying, as well.

Jae Rim then yanked the car door open, surprising them both. When So Eun does nothing but stare at him, he wraps his slim fingers around her wrist, and pulls her out of the car.

This is when So Eun snaps out of her trance. She stumbles slightly due to the lack of support her weak knees barely offer, but Jae Rim wraps his arms around her shoulders, stabling her. When she finds balance, he envelops her into an embrace, nearly causing her to lose balance again, but his arms keep her close to him, and steady.

So Eun’s head is spinning with confusion as Jae Rim pulls them apart.

The spinning accelerates when he lowers his head and press his lips gently against hers.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Hi, all. It's J, back with an update- considerably faster than you'd expected, no?

This chapter was really fun to write, especially since I had no idea how it was going to turn up! 

Honestly, the scenes just unraveled themselves as I was typing away. It felt like I was docmumenting, rather than creating. If you know what I mean.

And now I'm all excited to write the next chapter. I hope this positive energy (?) continues. But then again, I did drink around seven cans of coke. I'm probably just all charged up from the amount of sugar I have in my body.

Thanks so much for the comments! I was quite pleased to find out that people still follow the story. And shout out to the new subscribers!

Comments= motivated author, Subscribers= happy author.

Than you all again, for the support and love!

 

jillnpoy: You're so sweet- I'm so glad you're keeping in touch. I see the story making more progress, as I am filled with ideas currently. I'll probably change them all, but still.

SoshiYul9: I literally squealed when I saw your comment. Of all the commentors, I remember coming across yours frequently (maybe because I'm a soshi fan myself?). Thanks so much for being a sweetheart, and keeping in touch. For you guys, I'll try to make bigger progress (amid my busy schedule).

onie85: Ahaha. Thank you. I was actually quite proud of chapter 3. I'm guessing you're one of the recent readers? It's nice to know that there are Solim shippers still out there. I sincerely hope you weren't eating anything while you were reading.