The truth hurts.

Heart On The Line

Joong Ki worked his way to the kitchen and found Chae Won already seated at the dining table.

“Morning.” He said to test out the atmosphere as he grabbed the glass pitcher for water.

Chae Won gave no response. She had not been able to free her mind of the adulterous act that almost occurred between the two of them last night. What was she thinking? Clearly she wasn’t thinking. Going to work today quickly became the least of her problems. Her only concern now was figuring out a way to avoid him at all cost—again. Why did she have to live this way? This is her house. She hated that she had to fight this constant battle of having to avoid this man who she didn’t ask to be in her life. Even being in the same room with him made her feel guilty.

Why was this eating her up? It isn’t like she harbored special feelings for him. She knew very well how she felt towards Jin Hyuk and no man would be able to make her feel otherwise. Last night—last night was an obvious mistake. It was simply a result of her longing for Jin Hyuk’s touch that made her act foolishly in his presence.

“Chae Won-ssi.” Joong Ki repeated, intentionally addressing her in formal manner, unsure of what to take from last night. “Will you be riding with me to work today?”

“No. I’ll find my own way.” She answered as she got up to leave the kitchen.

“Ready for work?” Geun Young who had just returned said to Chae Won upon their encounter as Chae Won was heading back to the room.

“Yes.” She answered without much thought.

Geun Young smiled. “Oh oppa!” she said when she saw Joong Ki in the kitchen. “Can you pick up Min Ah before you go to work?”

Chae Won overheard this and subconsciously her feet halted and she found herself closely listening.

“Sure. Chae Won-ssi said she won’t need me to drop her off so I should have time to pick up Min Ah. What time is she landing—”

“Actually on second thought, I changed my mind.” Chae Won interrupted. “I will need a ride.” She clarified, poking her head back into the kitchen.  

“Oh you will be?”

“Yes, let me just grab my coat.” She said then rushed toward the bedroom.

What seriously had gotten into her? She couldn’t fathom it. Suddenly staying away from him was no longer the objective. Why would it bother her that Joong Ki was going to pick up his old flame? Maybe it didn’t. Maybe she really just needed a ride. Yes, that’s it! Besides, it’s her first day and it’s crucial to be on time. She wouldn’t make it if she decided to take the bus now. That’s right, she wasn’t bothered by Joong Ki meeting his ex. She just needed a ride to work.

“Ready?” she asked Joong Ki when she returned.

“Yea just hold on a sec.” he answered.

“Oh okay, see you soon.” Geun Young hung up the phone. “Oh oppa, she already landed and she said she’d wait for you if you can be there at 9.”

“No problem. After I drop off Chae Won-ssi, I’ll head straight there. That will give me just enough time to head to the set.”

Chae Won wasn’t happy hearing this. Great, so she was uncomfortable with him picking up his ex.

“Okay great! I’ll let her know.” Geun Young said, picking up her phone to dial for Min Ah a second time.

“Ready?” Joong Ki asked Chae Won.

“Huh?” she shook out her thoughts, “Yes, let’s go.”

+++

“So you haven’t told me, how’s work?” Joong Ki attempted to break the silence.

“Can you please just stay quiet for the ride there?” Chae Won responded keeping her gaze out the window.

Joong Ki laughed, “Chae Won-ssi, I really cannot figure you out.”

“I said be quiet—“ Chae Won was not able to finish due to the interruption of Joong Ki’s phone.

“Oh it’s eomma!” he said excitedly when he saw the caller ID.

“You know what, Joong Ki-ssi—“

“Shh.” Joong Ki hushed her. “You see this?” he held up his phone. “It’s a phone, meaning you can communicate with people through it. Anytime I’m on it, I expect that you hush up because chances are I’m talking to my mother.” He said, unable to keep a straight face.

It did not take Chae Won long to notice he was imitating her.

“If you don’t already know, my mother is my heart and the greatest gift to her is for her handsome son to find a wife. Trust me I do not want to explain to her why there is a girl in close enough proximity to me for her voice to be overheard through the phone if she isn’t going to become my mother’s daughter in law. You understand?” Joong Ki laughed.

Chae Won huffed, “Wow—“

Before she could say anything else, Joong Ki’s hand reached over and cupped .

“Eomma!” he answered with a smile.

With no hesitation, Chae Won bit his palm as hard as she could which caused him to yank his hand back.

“Ahhh.” He moaned aloud and went in for a save. “Eomma I miss you!”

Chae Won glared at him.

“Yes eomma, I’m filming today.” He continued. “Yes I did not forget my breakfast and I was very well rested. Oh eomma, Min Ah is in town.”

Wow his mother even knows her? Chae Won rolled her eyes and turned the other way.

“Yes I will tell her you said hello. Girls? No I haven’t met one.” Joong Ki laughed. “These days, girls are all arrogant and mean. It’s hard to find a nice one.” He raised his voice to make sure he said it loud and clear.

Chae Won scoffed upon hearing this.

“Okay, I love you eomma. I will talk to you later.”

Chae Won quickly got out and shut the door as soon as the car came to a stop. What was she thinking coming with him? She beat herself up for not going according to her initial plan to stay away from him.

“Annyeonghasaeyo!” she heard an enthusiastic voice behind her.

Turning around she found Hyo Joo frantically waiving at her. Her thin figure was drowned in an oversized gray coat stumbling towards Chae Won.

“Oh no, my badge!” Chae Won expressed when she noticed Hyo Joo’s badge hanging from her neck. “And my purse and phone!”

She had just realized she was so quick to leave Joong Ki’s car that she left without any of her belongings. There was no way she’d be able to work without her badge.

“Quick, let me use your phone!” she exclaimed to Hyo Joo.

“Huh?” Hyo Joo was pretty taken astray. “Oh okay.” She scurried her body for her phone and handed it to Chae Won.

Chae Won quickly dialed her number hoping Joong Ki would pick up. He shouldn’t be too far yet.

After several rings, his voice was finally heard on the other end.

“Where are you?” she immediately asked.

“In my car.”

“Don’t play dumb with me, I’m serious! You have to bring back my stuff.”

“Woah, is that any way to ask for a favor?”

Chae Won took a deep breath and rolled her eyes, “Can you please bring back my stuff?”

Joong Ki grinned, “Well I don’t know. I have to pick up Min Ah before I head to the set and if I turn the car back—.”

“Please?” she asked sincerely. “I need my badge to be able to work. I’m sorry that you’ll be late but I can’t afford to lose this job.”

She hated to admit it but Geun Young was right. As much as she disliked this job or any job in that matter, in order to prove her father wrong and truly survive without him, she would need to earn her own wages.

Joong Ki smiled, “Oh alright. Be there in a jiffy.”

“Thank you!” she voiced in relief.

After hanging up, Hyo Joo insisted they escaped the cold and wait inside by the administrative desk where Park Kyo Eun was seated projecting her usual fresh face demeanor.

“You can go ahead and head up. You’ll be late.” Chae Won said to her.

“Oh no, I’ll be fine.” She answered carelessly.

Chae Won was confused but she left her to be.

“Chae Won-ssi.” An unfamiliar voice called out.

She turned around and it was the director who interviewed her that day. Her body tensed up and she became nervous in his presence.

She bowed and walked toward him, “Oh anyeonghasaeyo Director.” She greeted, making sure to act natural so he would not suspect something to be wrong.

“Call me Lee Seung Gi please?”

“Ah okay.” She forced a grin.

“How did you like the training? Today is your first official day, isn’t it?”

Wow he was quite meticulous to know his employees’ schedules, taking into consideration he had over 3000 employees and god knows what other duties he was responsible for as the director.

“Training was good.” Chae Won fibbed. “And yes today is my first day.”

“Great. I hope to be seeing you more then.”

“Yes, definitely.”

“Well I’ll leave you to take care of your work. If you need anything, you know where to find me.” He winked.

“Yes. Have a great day”

Whew, she thought she’d die if the conversation carried on any further. She wasn’t the type of gal who really got nervous or ever felt small beside anyone but she was quite intimidated by this man. It wasn’t even due to his stickler appearance, always well dressed and well-groomed. Instead it was because he was a constant reminder of where she once was and where she is now.

Since she left home, she tried not to think too much of everything she’d been missing out on as a result of her decision. But lately she had been experiencing her world tumbling down all over again. Her relationship with Jin Hyuk had been questionable. The girl that picked up his phone, she’s still unsure of what to think about it. And then this job—this job was the absolute worst. Never did she think she’d ever have to work for her own money. And last night with Joong Ki was the deal breaker. It worried her how much she had not been herself.

“Oh Chae Won-ssi.” Park Kyo Eun said to her on her way back to the desk. “You’re Chae Won-ssi, correct?” she reassured.

“Yes.”

“A man dropped this off to you.” She smiled as she handed Chae Won her purse.

“Oh thank you.”

“Perhaps, is he Song Joong Ki-ssi?” she squealed a little inside.

Chae Won’s brows rose, “Huh? Oh yes, he is.”

“Oh my god!” she literally squealed.

“Get a grip, he’s not that great. Thank you for my purse though.” She said before turning to Hyo Joo.

“Oh my god, he is so good looking.” Hyo Joo swooned.

Chae Won turned and looked to where her attention was and saw Joong Ki. He’s still here? She rolled her eyes.

“Look at the way he’s just standing there and looking so handsome.” Hyo Joo held her fists to , nearly chewing her knuckles.

“Yea. He’s always handsome, no matter what he does.” Chae Won voiced subconsciously. Shocked that she dared say those words aloud, she became agitated. “Stupid handsome!” she murmured in irritation.

Hyo Joo turned to her and gave her suspicious eyes, “So you met him already?”

Chae Won was a little lost, “You’re talking about—”

“Yes, I’m talking about Kwang Soo oppa!”

“Wait, who?”

Hyo Joo turned back the other way around. “Well of course. Who else would I be—” she suddenly stopped when she noticed the man who brought in Chae Won’s purse beside Kwang Soo oppa. “Oh, were you talking about your purse guy? I swear I did not see him there!” 

Chae Won looked closely and also now just noticed that another man was with Joong Ki, in whom she concluded was the guy Hyo Joo was referring to as ‘Kwang Soo oppa’. He was dressed in security attire which meant he was a security. No brainer. But she found nothing intimidating about him at all considering his occupation. Well, maybe his height because he looked to be passed 6 feet tall but that was about it. He had twigs for arms and legs and a face that, even from a distance, nobody would be able to take seriously. He just gave off a friendly vibe.

A smile crept on Hyo Joo’s face again, “I guess it’s true what they say. When you’re in love, you see no one else around but that person. It’s like the world just disappears into a mist of dust and—”

“I better get to work.” Chae Won interrupted, quite uncomfortable with Hyo Joo’s words.

“I know you’re already engaged so I shouldn’t be worried but I want to say it anyway. I call dibs on Kwang Soo oppa!”

Chae Won laughed, “Okay.” At least she knew there would be no dull moment at work with Hyo Joo around.

Moments later Hyo Joo let out a high-pitched squeal, “Oh my god, he’s coming, he’s coming!” Hyo Joo freaked out as she pathetically tucked her strands of hair behind her ears. “How do I look?”

“Splendid.”

Taking a deep breath, she adjusted her uniform. “Kwang Soo oppa, you’re here?” She greeted followed by overcompensating with a nonchalant gaze and a weak smile. She acted as though she hadn’t noticed him.

“Yes I am.” he responded smoothly as he leaned on the administration desk. He was even taller now that he was up close. “Who do we have here?” he asked glancing over to Chae Won.

 “Oh, this is Moon Chae Won-ssi. Today’s her first official day of work. She’s already engaged!” Hyo Joo spilled out of nowhere just in case Kwang Soo had taken interest in Chae Won.

 “Really? I see. He liked it so he put a ring on it, eh?” Kwang Soo, wearing a wide grin, held up his hands and pointed to his ring finger as he moved his hips and feet, channeling Beyonce’s dance to ‘single ladies’.

This, of course, gained laughter from Hyo Joo. Chae Won cupped as she also burst into laughter, unable to help being amused by his comical personality.

“Nice to meet you. I’m Lee Kwang Soo, the company’s hero.” He held out his hand.

Chae Won met it with a handshake, “Nice to meet you too.”

“Ah you know the guy you were talking to?” Hyo Joo asked, forgetting that she had pretended she hadn't seen him before he approached her. “Chae Won-ssi is into him.”

“Is she now?” Kwang Soo smiled teasingly.

Chae Won’s eyes widened, “What?! No, that’s not true! Remember I’m engaged?” Disturbed, she held up her hand to show her engagement ring in defense.

“Ah that’s right.” Hyo Joo gave an apologetic face, “But just now who were you referring to as handsome? Unless you were talking about my—”

Kwang Soo laughed, “It’s normal, he’s quite the ladies’ man. He and I are good friends from college. He moved to the states 5 years ago but now he’s back. We were going to schedule a time to meet but good thing we ran in each other. He said he was here to drop off a purse. Maybe to a girlfriend so sorry Chae Won-ssi.” he chuckled.

Chae Won wanted to tell him he was getting the wrong idea and also to correct him about Joong Ki’s so-called girlfriend who he dropped off the purse to but he was babbling too much to even allow her any time.

“The handsome bastard is an actor! He just got his first main role in the upcoming film A Werewolf boy. You guys might know him from—” he paused and thought for a moment, "never mind I don't even know!" he laughed aloud. "His roles were too insignificant that they didn't stick with me, sorry."

Hyo Joo laughed along to let him know she was engaging in his conversation although she really could care less what he was saying.

Kwang Soo continued to chatter, “I swear, right when that bastard came out of his mother’s womb, I bet they knew he was going to make big bucks with that face!” he expressed bitterly.

“But oppa, you’re handsome too.”

“What?”

“I think you’re very handsome.” Hyo Joo confessed shyly.

“Really?”

She nodded.

Kwang Soo straightened his posture, set his hands at his waist, and raised his head up high as he mischievously looked up at the ceiling, “I am, aren’t I?”, raising his left brow.   

Chae Won looked at Hyo Joo who was doing nothing but giving love eyes toward Kwang Soo as he continued to run his mouth. Now she understood what Hyo Joo meant when she said "when you’re in love, you see no one else around but that person" because she was literally demonstrating the perfect example right now.

She looked outside and couldn’t help but noticed Joong Ki’s car drive past the company. Why on earth did he have his windows down in this horrid weather? Was he insane? She thought. She tried to watch until he completely disappeared out of sight but suddenly felt a tug at her arm.

“Chae Won-shii.” Hyo Joo had to repeat for the third time.

“Huh?” she answered half dazed.

“What were you daydreaming about? Did you not hear me? I said, would you like to join oppa and I for lunch today?”

Was she really tuned out? She didn’t notice. “Oh. Yes. Sure.” she stammered.  


What did you all think? Sorry for the haitus. I promise I am back for good and will update frequent. Please leave me some love.

-Lillie