A lot of getting used to.

Heart On The Line

A loud thump was heard from the bathroom door, followed by what seemed like a 3 second pause and several more consecutive thumps, this time louder and harder. Joong Ki scoffed, amused, as he patted his face dry with a towel. He wasn’t exactly sure whether he was doing it on purpose but his pace began to slow and he found himself leaning against the wall just waiting for her next move.

“Yah! How much longer are you going to take?! You’re not the only one who lives in this house!” Chae Won shouted as she banged on the door some more.

“Seriously, what kind of man takes this long to wash up?!”  

She had been standing outside the door for 5 minutes and pacing in place with her arms folded across her chest. She was not exactly thrilled to find out that after being gone for an entire month, Geun Young still hasn’t contacted maintenance to take a look at the leakage in the other restroom. She could have sworn she saw molds crawling up the walls. And then now having to wait on some dude who possibly takes longer than a girl to simply brush his teeth and wash his face. She didn’t think it’d be this soon but suddenly she missed New York and especially Jin Hyuk.

She breathed a sigh of frustration and raised her fist to get ready to pound on the door again when suddenly it swung open. Joong Ki stood there topless with only a towel wrapped around his waist. His chest had tiny remains of water and his hair was drenched, draped over his forehead forming curls that framed his face perfectly.

“Good morning.” he smiled.

Chae Won rolled her eyes and squeezed her way through the doorway. Before slamming the door behind her, she turned around and said, “Please, I don’t care what your thing is but for as long as you’re living here, I don’t want to see you walk around without your clothes on!”

Joong Ki laughed and continued his way out of the room.

Example 2 of getting on her bad side: Be in the restroom “too long”.

Example 3 of getting on her bad side: Walk around the house “”.

+++

“Oh oppa, you’re up early.” Geun Young said when she walked in and saw Joong Ki seated at the dining table sipping on a fresh brewed cup of coffee.

“Eo (yes), how was work?”

Geun Young walked into the kitchen and grabbed the glass pitcher from the refrigerator to pour herself a glass of water and put her feet to rest in the seat across from him.

“Oppa, I’m so tired.” she expressed in a yawn. Her weariness was prominent. Her hair was a mess and her makeup was slightly running with dark bags under her eyes. “Is Chae Won awake?” she asked in a barely audible tone as she rested her head on the table and shut her lids.

“Go to sleep.” Joong Ki insisted. When she didn’t answer, he reached over and tugged at her arm. “Yah, Geun Young-ah, go to sleep. Not here, in your room.”

She extended her arms above her shoulders for a nice stretch and nodded, “Have you met Chae Won yet?”

“Ani (no).” he answered and took another sip of his beverage.

Without another word to him, she stood up and pulled her feet to the room.

“Geun Young-ah!” Chae Won greeted her with a tight hug as soon as she saw her. “I miss you!”

“I miss you too, chingu (friend).” she said with a half yawn. “What happened to you on the airplane? You had me worried sick.”

“What happened?”

“You’re telling me you don’t remember anything? You had a high fever and lost conscious—”

“Omo (Oh my), no wonder when I woke up I was already home!”

“Yes—”

“By the way, you didn’t tell me your cousin was going to be living with us.” She expressed in unfavorable regard.

“Oh, Joong Ki oppa? Yes he’s going to be living here until he finds a place. Come, let me introduce you to him.”

“We already met.” she said in annoyance.

“Really? But he said you guys haven’t?”

“What? Is he serious? Yes we have!”

“C’mon, let me just introduce you two.”

“No need, we already met.” she protested.

Geun Young grabbed her arm and dragged her toward the kitchen. “C’mon, don’t make this difficult. I’m tired and want to sleep.”

“But I’m telling you, we already—”

“Oh so this is your friend?” Joong Ki asked with a devilish smile plastered on his face. “What’s her name?”

“Chae Won-ah, Song Joong Ki. Joong Ki oppa, Moon Chae Won.” Geun Young gave a subtle introduction.

Joong Ki took a deep breath and stood up from his seat and walked toward them. “Very nice to meet you, Moon Chae Won-shii.” he said formally and held out his hand for a handshake.

She looked askance at his offer. “Eo.” she responded informally.

Joong Ki was not at all surprised by her rudeness. He laughed and drew his hand back. Oblivious to the tension that was between them, Geun Young suggested for

Chae Won to take Joong Ki along with her to her job search and also to show him around town.

Chae Won ignored her and said, “Geun Young-ah, tell me why I have to deal with living with him?”

“Mwo (What)? What are you talking about?”

“Tell me why I have to live with him?”

Geun Young huffed, “Because this is my house and that’s my oppa.” she clenched her jaw.

“Yah!”

Joong Ki couldn’t help but laugh at the commotion.

“Now, are you going to take him along or not?! Don’t forget that you’re still 2 months behind on rent!”

“Geun Young-ah, are you serious?” she pouted.

“Yes I am! And you better not screw up on any job interviews either! I’m done being nice to you!”

+++

Chae Won was pushed out the door with one side of her heels on and the other held in between her underarm while she tried to put on her earrings, at the same time, whispering swear words under her breath.

Geun Young opened the door and tossed out her Celine clutch, “Don’t forget your bag!”

“Yah! Be careful with that. Don’t you know how much it cost?!” she shouted as she bent down to pick it up and slung it over her shoulder.

“Have a nice day.” She smiled a sarcastic smile. “Annyeong, oppa.”

Joong Ki grinned and waved at her before she closed the door.

“How dare that girl?” Chae Won grumbled about meanwhile struggling to put on her other heel.

“So where are we going?” Joong Ki asked inattentive to her irritation.

Chae Won passed him a hateful glare and quickened the pace of her steps. Joong Ki chuckled and followed closely behind her in case she had plotted to close the elevator on him. Inside the elevator, they stood on opposite sides and Chae Won had her body turned away from him with her arms wrapped across her chest.

Joong Ki found her to be obscurely amusing. She wasn’t exactly how he had imagined which makes things quite interesting for him.

“You know, you don’t exactly have to show me around. In fact, I’ve lived here for most of my life. I barely moved to New York about 5 years ago.” he revealed.

Chae Won scoffed, “Did you really think I was going to show you around?”

“Perhaps.”

The door opened and Chae Won slipped on her Celine sunglasses and walked out.

“Wow, it’s such a beautiful day.” Joong Ki remarked when they got outside.

“If you walk one block that way, you’ll be able to find a bus stop.” Chae Won said pointing the direction to her left. “Plus you said you know your way around so I shouldn’t have to give you any directions right?”

“Wait, so we’re not going together?”

Chae Won heaved a sigh and turned to him, “Read my lips. NO.”

“You know, you shouldn’t draw me attention to your lips.” he teased in his husky voice.

Chae Won opened to say something but not a single sound was detectable. She found her body flushed with heat and momentarily she lost her cool. She looked away to avoid his eyes, a way not to make things obvious.

In regaining of her composure, she cleared . “Alright, be on your way.” she waved her hand to shoo him. When he did not dislodge from his staid position, she turned to him and took off her sunglasses so he could see her glowering gaze, “Yah, are you going to go or—Omo!” Her eyes abruptly grew wide at the gorgeous approaching vehicle ahead. It was a fresh glistening white Porsche. “Oh my god, that car, it’s beautiful.” She cupped with her palm. “Do you not see it?”

She subconsciously grabbed onto Joong Ki’s sleeve and tugged at it.

The car yielded and pulled its brakes to a stop in front of them. It was a good thing Chae Won delayed her gratification; otherwise she would have thrown herself on that car, desperate to summon into mind that feeling of being bathed in luxury.

A tall man, probably in his mid-20s, with ruffled hair and glasses, dressed in a slim suit stepped out and sprung around the car toward them. Chae Won cracked a smile and bowed politely to him.

“Song Joong Ki-shii?” he asked.

“Yes, sir.” Joong Ki responded.

“I believe these are yours.” he said, handing the keys to Joong Ki.

Joong Ki grabbed them from him, “Thank you.”

“Enjoy your vehicle.”

“I sure will.” he said then looked at Chae Won whose smile quickly faded. He grinned at her and held the keys up to her face before walking around to open the door.

“I’ll see you later, Chae Won-shii.”

Chae Won’s shoulders dropped causing her posture and confidence to take a 180 degree turn. She bit her lower lip and cursed him under her breath. Joong Ki laughed and got inside. He waved at her from his seat before starting up the ignition. She drew a deep sigh and without much thought, she shamelessly rushed to the passenger door and opened it and jumped in.

“What are you doing?” Joong Ki asked.

She glued her back to the seat and threw her hair over her shoulder, “Didn’t you hear what Geun Young said earlier, for me to show you around?” Joong Ki shook his head in disbelief and laughed. “Is your bad behavior something your parents taught you?! You are really driving me nuts with your rudeness. If we look at the big picture here, it’s me who is at lost having to drag you around with me.” She quickly dug her clutch and pulled out a crumbled piece of paper and threw it at his lap,

“Now here’s the address, let’s go!”

This girl was really unbelievable. He thought he had her all figured out but she just continues to surprise him.

“C’mon, what are you waiting for?” She glared at him and reached for her seatbelt to fasten. “Egotistical bad luck ahjussi.” she added.

+++

They pulled up to a tall appointed building with its walls made of glass located along Teheran Road between Gangnam Station. “Alright, we’re here.” Chae Won said as she undid her seatbelt. “Let’s exchange numbers so I can call you when I’m done.”

“But I thought we were going together?”

“Of course not! You can’t go in with me to my interview. Besides, you said you know this place well. Why don’t you go and enjoy yourself somewhere, anywhere but here. Hurry, give me your number.”

“Judging from the looks of it, I’m certain I’m older than you. Why are you using banmal (informal language) with me?”

“Yah! I don’t have all day.”

“How about you address me formally then we’ll exchange numbers?”

Chae Won reached over and snatched his mobile phone right out of his hand. “I have no time for games.” She quickly dialed for her phone and waited for the first ring to make sure his number was logged into her phone. “Here, answer when I call you.” She said as she handed him back his phone.

“You really are something.”

Chae Won responded by smiling in a scornful way. She opened her clutch and dumped everything out onto the floor of the passenger side.

“What are you doing now?” Joong Ki asked in frustration.

“Filtering out my bag, of course.” she said, reaching down to grab just what she needed. “This bag here cost a fortune which means I only carry the important stuff like my wallet, lipstick, mirror, and sunglasses.” she said as she picked up each item she named.

Joong Ki took a deep breath, “Just get out, please?”

“Don’t worry about that at all.” She opened the door and stepped out and adjusted her wrinkled skirt. “Annyeong! (Bye) Answer your phone when I call for you.”

+++

Chae Won was led back by the pretty receptionist at the front desk by the name of So Hyun, into a large, somewhat empty, room with not much but a bookshelf along the wall and a table with two chairs on opposite ends.

“Please wait here and Mr. Kim will be with you shortly.” she said before closing the door.

It didn’t take long before Mr. Kim entered. He was a short stubby man who looked to be in his early-40s. He was dressed in an all black suit with a white shirt and his hair was sleeked and combed down the sides of his face parted in an uneven split. He just didn’t look like the ‘Mr. Kim’ Chae Won had envisioned; the tall, intimidating, more authoritarian-looking ‘Mr. Kim’.

“Hello there Miss,” he paused and took a second glimpse at her resume as he took the seat across from her, “Moon Chae Won.”

“Hi, Mr. Kim.” she said confidently, not exactly nervous anymore.

“Please, in brief description, tell me about yourself.”

Chae Won gave an uncertain smile and began, “Well, you already know my name is Moon Chae Won. I am the daughter of Moon Cha Sung, you probably know, the chairman of Taesan Group. He’s in the magazines all the time, but that’s besides the point. Well, I’m not really his daughter anymore because, you see, my mother passed away when I was 20 and ever since then he has remarried 5 times. I was going to let it all go until he crossed the line and married someone just a few years older than me. She could very well be his child! So I left home, yes, I left home and have no plans on returning until he divorces that witch and comes begging for me! So now—”

“Okay okay, Miss Moon, that’s enough.” Mr. Kim said uncomfortably. “Now, tell me why you want this job.”

“Well, I was going to get to that until you interrupted me.” she flipped her hair. “Anyway, because I ran away from home, I am now living with my best friend Geun Young which means I have to contribute to the expenses.” she frowned. “Speaking of living with Geun Young though, ever since this morning I was beginning to question whether that was such a good idea after all.”

Mr. Kim’s forehead leaked of sweat and he had his hands clasped onto the end of the table. He was shocked at how much this girl talked. She did not even stop to take a breath.

“You see, she invited her cousin to come live with us without even informing me or asking for my opinion. You’d think being friends this long and also being roommates that I’d come into mind when making a major decision as such, correct? And her cousin, omo, don’t even get me started on him! I-I just can’t stand him! He’s rude and, well, he’s just rude! But that isn’t even the biggest problem here. The big problem is that I don’t know how I’m going to tell Jin Hyuk oppa that I am now living with a man. I mean he isn’t exactly a man. There’s no way on earth I’d ever see him as a man! But he’s someone of the opposite , you know what I mean? I’m telling you, under the same roof! Also, he isn’t exactly an eyesore either! Otteoke (what do I do)? How am I going to tell this to Jin Hyuk oppa? Oh, by the way, Jin Hyuk oppa is my—”

“Okay Miss Moon!” Mr. Kim held out his hand to signal her to stop. “Should an open position arise, we will contact you. It was very nice to meet you.”

“Mwo? But I’m not done—”

“Well, I’ve heard enough. In fact, I heard a bit too much. We will give you a call. Please be on your way.” he said with a stern expression, his dress shirt drenched in sweat.

He grabbed his briefcase and stormed out of the room.

+++

Chae Won walked out of the company with her head held low, taking deep gasps as she dwelled upon possibly not getting the job. What had she done wrong? She was answering the questions he asked.

Her stomach uttered a deep guttural sound and she grasped it, afraid it could be heard by everyone around her. It had been a long day and she was starving. She scanned the area and noticed a food stand just up ahead.

“Annyeonghasaeyo ahjumma.” she greeted the vendor.

“Ah, annyeong.”

She looked in her purse and noticed she only had 20,000 won left. She heaved a sigh, “Ahjumma, can I just have an order of deokbokki?”

“Sure, 3,000 won please?” she said as she started to bag it.

After receiving her food, she walked to sit on the table on the side. She took out her phone to see if she received any calls from Jin Hyuk but she didn’t. Maybe he was still mad at her. The truth was, for the past few years, he had been insisting for them to take things to the next level of their relationship. They’ve been together for awhile and besides, they were definitely old enough. Things especially became worse since he went abroad to study. He started being more demanding of it and they had a fight before Chae Won flew back to Seoul.

Chae Won, however, wasn’t to that level of comfort with him quite yet. Regardless of knowing him for years, something still held her back from wanting to give her entirety to him. Nevertheless she loved him.

She stared at her phone and contemplated on whether she should be the bigger person and call him first. After a few seconds of useless debate, she decided to call Joong Ki to pick her up. She was ready to head home.

“Yobosaeyo?” he answered on the other end.

“Yah, where are you? Come pick me up.”

“I’m sorry, who is this?”

She drew her phone from her ear to double check if she called the right number, “Yah, stop playing games. I’m not in the mood right now. Come pick me up!”

“I’m sorry, I’m afraid you got the wrong number.” he said then hung up.

“Aish, is this guy serious?!” she said angrily and dialed for him again but her call was directed to voicemail.

After trying for about 6 more times, he finally picked up again. “Yobosaeyo.”

“Come pick me up. Do you want to die?”

“Look to your right, ice princess.”

“Wait, what did you call me?!” She looked and noticed him parked at the side of the street.

She quickly grabbed her clutch and approached the car. When she got in, she slammed the door and didn’t say a word to him.

“How was the interview?” he asked.

“I don’t want to talk to you.”

Joong Ki scoffed, “Since you’re in my car, it looks like you have no choice.”

“Would you just be quiet?! Aish! And how do I know if this is even your car? How on earth can you afford a car like this but can’t afford your own place to live?”

“I can, but it’s just so fun living with someone like you that I’d rather not.”

“You know what, don’t even talk to me the rest of the ride!”

+++

In arrival to the condo building, Chae Won snagged the opportunity when the car was on yield and opened the door to step out.

Joong Ki slammed on the brakes causing his wheels to shriek.  “Yah, what do you think you’re doing?!”

Chae Won slammed the door and walked away. She quickly rushed to the elevator making sure to get on it before Joong Ki caught up. She was more than relieved when it opened. Arriving to the floor, she stepped out and walked toward their condo.

“He’ll see what he got himself into for messing with me.” she mumbled as she scurried her clutch for the house keys. “Omo!” she freaked out when she recalled having dumped the keys in his car.

She hurriedly rushed back towards the elevator. She had to get her hands on those keys before Joong Ki does.

The door opened and there stood Joong Ki, holding the keys in his hands, “Looking for these?” he said with a wicked smile.