Right back to square one.

Heart On The Line

It had been well over a week since that bedroom incident and Chae Won had not exchanged a word with Joong Ki since. Neither had she spoken about it to Geun Young. She didn't want to admit it had anything to do with her feeling wronged towards Jin Hyuk as she was still convinced it was harmless since she had absolutely no interest in Joong Ki. However she wanted to avoid him at all cost. One,  for it to maintain that way and two, she was still mad at him for falling asleep on the bed that night and as if that wasn't bad enough, decided he could take off his shirt.

Maintenance came and took care of the flood in the apartment and they were back to living comfortably. Actually for Chae Won, 'comfortably' was a nice way to put it. Of course she was still hoping Joong Ki would move out soon. But things between her and Jin Hyuk were good now, more like back to normal but normal was good compared to how they'd been for the past month.

It was the first time in 14 years since they've known each other that Chae Won gave in and apologized to him first. They both met when she was 15 and he had just turned 18. Their relationship didn't flourish until several years later but from the start Chae Won was always the stubborn one. Suddenly this time she felt a strong urge to make it up to him. She didn't know why but she just did. Although his reaction wasn't much, totally not what she'd expected but it was fine as long as things were back to normal now.

+++

Silence filled the kitchen. Joong Ki was seated at the dining table with his script in one hand and a cup of coffee in the other, sipping down the warm and aromatic beverage as he studied his parts. Paying no attention to his existence, Chae Won headed to the refrigerator and grabbed the glass pitcher for water. Geun Young, who had just arrived home from work and was standing at the walkway into the kitchen, observed the perceivable tension between the two and wanted to scoff in amusement.

Joong Ki raised his hands above his head for a good stretch, "Alright, I'm out of here." he said indirectly to the both of them.

"Oppa, have fun at your script reading." Geun Young bid farewell.

"Will do. Get some rest, you look terrible."

"Heol." she frowned.

"You're home." Chae Won greeted as soon as Joong Ki was out the door.

Geun Young folded her arms and did not respond. Instead she continued to stare at Chae Won intently, studying her every movement.

"Ya! What do you want?" she asked and took a seat in the chair Joong Ki was just in. She pulled out her phone from her back pocket, attempting to look occupied to avoid a potential conversation with Geun Young.

Geun Young shrugged, "Nothing." she answered and reached for the glass pitcher and poured herself a cup of water as well. Resting against the counter, she took a big gulp. "Ya Chae Won-ah, you like Joong Ki oppa?" she questioned when it was least expected, taking Chae Won by surprise.

Chae Won's eyes grew wide, "Ya are you crazy?!? I'm an engaged woman!" she exclaimed, holding up her engagement ring to remind Geun Young in case she had forgotten.  

Geun Young shrugged. It was a habitual body language she expressed when not so convinced. "You don't know Joong Ki oppa, even married woman go after him. When we were in grade school all throughout high school, you have no idea how many girls, including my friends, confessed their love to him." she leaned down beside Chae Won.

"So he's a player?" Chae Won remarked to herself, forgetting that she was on the line of defense here and that was so not the point. She shook her head disturbingly, "Anyway, I'm different."

Geun Young laughed and nodded her head as she took a seat, "Okay, we'll see how different you are." Though hesitant for a moment, her curiosity won her over so she blurted out, "Chae Won-ah, this is very gross and I don't want to think about it but it's eating me up if I don't ask so---"

"No, nothing happened between us."   

"Seriously?"

"Yes, seriously. We just slept and that's all we did."

"Then why was oppa's shirt---"

"That's something you should ask him!"

"That's right, you wouldn't right? That would be so awkward in the house. Besides you have Jin Hyuk too." Geun Young started reasoning."But I don't know, the Chae Won I know would have never agreed to share a room with a man and especially not a bed!"

"Ya, it's all your fault!" Chae Won expressed in frustration.

"Sorry." Geun Young smiled and backed away, afraid Chae Won might hit her. "Ok well as long as I know that nothing happened between you two. I really thought I was going to die from disgust. Phew, now I can finally sleep at night. Wait, but then why are you avoiding Joong Ki oppa?"

"I am not avoiding him." she denied.

"Yes you are. You haven't spoken to him since and also haven't been going to your job search. Ya, you really need to get a job!"

"Well he's busy so I don't want to bother him."

"Ha, don't even play with me! You are never considerate of anyone!" Geun Young chuckled.

"Ya, Geun Young-ah!"

"You know what I noticed?" Geun Young scooted closer to her. "I've never seen you so cautious towards any man before like you are with Joong Ki. Perhaps does he put you in doubt about your relationship with Jin Hyuk?"

"Geun Young, are you insane?! Shut that big mouth of yours!"

"Just teasing! Why so defensive?" Geun Young said with a big smile plastered across her face. "Well if you're not being cautious of him or avoiding him then I see no reason why you haven't been job searching for the past week. So better start again tomorrow! I will tell Joong Ki oppa to drop you off."

+++

Night time approached. Chae Won was awakened from her nap by the sound of running water from the bathroom. She laid still on her back and stared up at the ceiling. She let out a yawn and reached over to the nightstand to fetch for her phone. The time was 9:12 PM. Jin Hyuk should be getting ready to start his day right about now in New York. There was nothing she hated more than being sensitive, especially towards Jin Hyuk because he found it tiresome, but she couldn't help but was sad in discovering that he did not call her when he woke up.

"Oh you're awake." Geun Young said coming out of the restroom as she put her towel dried hair into a ponytail.

"Yes. Going to work?"

"Mm-hmm, another long night." She had her back turned to Chae Won and was shuffling through the closet for clothes. "Are you hungry? Joong Ki oppa bought some food. He said to tell you to eat."

The mere mention of Joong Ki's name irritated Chae Won. "I'll find something else to eat."

"Heol."

"Be safe to work." Chae Won said as she climbed out of bed. "I'm going to step outside to get some fresh air. I feel stuffy having been here all day."

"Wow, I bet it to be you." Geun Young snickered with sarcasm.

+++

Chae Won stepped out onto the balcony. The night sky was dim and faint wind brushed against her skin with slight tremors traveling down her body.  With Joong Ki's window right beside the railing of where the balcony ends, she could see that his lights were . After dialing for Jin Hyuk, she placed her phone on her ear to wait for his answer. Curiously, she poked her head out to take a peek at Joong Ki but making sure he would not see her.  

"Hello." answered a sluggish woman's voice on the other end.

Chae Won drew back her feet to level with the ground and her heart stopped. A million things ran through her head. Why was this woman answering Jin Hyuk's phone? Did she perhaps dial the wrong number? After having no choice but to jump from her phase of denial to acceptance, her mind raced with tons of excuses. Maybe he dropped his phone and she happened to have picked it up.

"Hello?" she sounded more awake now. She had a mellow tone to her voice.

Chae Won's fist clenched and she felt her palms starting to sweat. Her heart palpitated in pain and she felt unbearable weight gaining on her knees, causing them to nearly give up on her. "Who's this?" she managed to ask after pulling herself together.

"Megan, who's that?" Chae Won heard Jin Hyuk in the background.

Chae Won waited and listened closely.

"I don't know. No one's answering." She said to Jin Hyuk.

Soon after, Jin Hyuk's voice was audible over the phone which was obvious that it was now in his hands, "Oh Chae Won-ah, you called?"

Chae Won bit her lower lip to control her voice from quivering, "Who's Megan? Why is she answering your phone?"

There was a sudden pause in which felt like a lifetime to Chae Won, "Uh, Megan?" Jin Hyuk finally answered. "She attends my university and we are group mates for a project in class."

"Are you two that close? Because why is she answering your phone?"

"Oh sorry Chae Won, I was in the bathroom so I asked that she answered since I knew it would probably be you calling."

Chae Won heaved a deep sigh, "So you two are at your house?"

"Of course, we're working on our school project."

"Then why did she sound like she just woke up?" Chae Won's voice shook as these words slipped out of .

"You're talking nonsense. I have to go now. I'll call you later." Jin Hyuk quickly said then hung up.

Chae Won gripped her phone in her hand and tears welled up her eyes. She didn't know what to think or how to feel. Was she overreacting again and being sensitive for no apparent reason? She wished she was. She didn't want to think of Jin Hyuk to be that type of person. After all, he asked for her hand in marriage which meant he was sure he wanted to spend the rest of his life with her. Another woman would not be able to shake him.

"It feels so nice out here tonight!" Joong Ki said reaching for a good stretch as he stood beside Chae Won, looking up at the dark sky.

Chae Won was so caught up in her thoughts that she did not notice him come out to the balcony. Truth was, his window was opened so without choice, he overheard her entire conversation. He thought to check up on her to make sure she was okay.

Tears rolled down Chae Won's cheeks and she quickly wiped them dry before Joong Ki could see. Without a word to him, she turned and headed towards the door to go back inside.

Joong Ki reached over and grabbed her wrist to a halt. "Is your ideal type a handsome guy?"

"Let go." she said, pulling away.

"Is your ideal type a handsome guy?" he repeated.

"Ya, do you think I have time to play with you? Let go!"

"It must be!" he continued, still having a grip on her wrist. "That's why you're always trying to avoid me." He positioned her in front of him and brought his face close to hers with their noses just an inch apart. This was not exactly what she had planned but for that split second she was obedient and following his lead. They were now eye to eye. Her body tensed up and she felt her heart take on a marathon. "It's true, isn't it?" his lips pursed together into a smile.

It took a moment but she regained her composure. She scoffed and yanked her wrist from him, "Don't be so egotistical." she sneered. "Just because you're so used to girls chasing your tail doesn't mean I'm anything like them!"

Joong Ki smirked, "I see you've done a bit of research on me."

Chae Won was in no mood to quarrel so she took a deep breath and turned her back to him to attempt to return inside the house. "Wait you know what, since we're on some kind of topic," she stopped and turned back to him, "just because I haven't said anything to you, doesn't mean I'm okay with it."

"You want to ask me why my shirt was off that night?" Joong Ki interrupted and pretty much read her mind.

Hearing the words aloud from his mouth made her want to cringe, "Yes! Why was your shirt off that night?!"

"Sorry, force of habit." he answered casually.

"Wow and that's all you have to say?" She was not impressed by his rude behavior.

He shrugged. 

It was more annoying to Chae Won that through the mist of this all, he still looked attractive. "I'll just make myself clear once and for all! The other night was not meant to happen and it will never happen again. In fact I would much rather prefer that we both avoid each other as much as we possibly can while living together. Once you leave, we are going to cut ties for good."

Joong Ki stood there with his hands in his pockets, grinning in agreement.

"You think this is all a joke?"

"No, not at all."

"Never mind why am I even wasting my time here? If you'll excuse me, I'm heading back inside. Have fun out here by yourself!"

"So your ideal type is a handsome guy?" Joong Ki laughed as Chae Won stormed into the house.


How was this chapter? Please leave me your thoughts. I love to read them. ^^ The few next chapters will shift to a new phase of the story and I'm excited about it. I hope you will enjoy it too. Stay tune for more to come. Please upvote and share with your friends.^^

(>)(<)' Lillie