Temptation is a scary thing.

Heart On The Line

Chae Won was seated in a large black leather chair, almost too big for her petite frame. Her destination was the LBC Building, one of Korea's grandest public broadcasting companies. It was a huge 15-story framework, all curved glass and steel. Much like the outside, the interior was simplistic in design, possessing just the ideal modern sight.

It had been exactly 12 minutes since Chae Won had walked through the tall glass revolving door and was greeted by a girl by the name of Park Kyo Eun. She had a great set of eyes and a fresh face with skin a pasty white.

It was morning so there was traffic in the building with everyone's arrival to work. After having been told to take a seat, Chae Won was called back within 2 minutes and led deeper into the company to an area that was sectioned off into several entrance ways where a badge was needed to get beyond. This was better known as the 'Employees' Area'.

Kyo Eun placed her badge over the scanner and followed by a beep, the steel rods unlocked, allowing them to walk through. From there, they took an elevator up 14 floors into this spacious room, possibly the size of their entire condo but without walls separating. Kyo Eun left her with the words that her party would be with her shortly and closed the door behind her.

The air conditioner must be on full blast because Chae Won felt quivers traveling down her spine as she sat with her hands clasped together and hugged tightly between her knees. She should have gone with that long beige coat instead of this dainty blazer she chose over it. But thinking about it, she wasn't the one with the problem. Who in the world would need the air this cold when it's chilly enough today with it being one of those days the weather decided to actually feel like fall?

She observed her surroundings. In front of her sat a desk, deep burgundy in color, in which she concluded was needless since there was little to no paperwork to be seen but simply a table lamp and a glass name plate with 'Director Lee S. G.' engraved on it. Dark blue curtains were drawn to one side of the window, welcoming in sunlight. The western wall stood a wide lonesome shelf collecting dust and in the center set twin couches surrounding a coffee table that clashes with the rest of the room's executive motif.  

This was not like any room Chae Won had been in for interviews before. She was used to plain abandoned rooms that were vacant for use and they were usually on the first floor near the lobby. She couldn't deny that it was rather intimidating. She reached into her Alexander Mcqueen leather tote and pulled out the pocket mirror that was buried beneath all other necessities to make sure her appearance was midway presentable.

She scowled with frustration at her reflection. Her hair was really going to give her some trouble. She pulled it back and just as she was brushing it into submission, a knock was heard from the door and it cracked open. Chae Won released the grip on her hair and allowed it to fall back into place, praying for her to look at least decent at this point.

Stepping in were a sharp faced man, young, much younger than Chae Won had thought, and good looking. He was dressed in a tailored gray suit and a white collared button up with a sleek black tie. His hair brushed over his forehead neatly and he wore a bright smile on his face.

"Very nice to meet you." He held out his hand. "I'm Lee Seung Gi, the director of LBC."

Wow he was a lot younger than Chae Won thought. She had heard of the successors of LBC but always imagined it was owned and operated by a bunch of ahjusshi. Pretty naive? Maybe.

"I'm Moon Chae Won." She greeted him with a hand shake.

"Woah, your hand is so cold." He said as soon as he came in contact with her. "I apologize, something is wrong with the air conditioner. It turns on randomly." He said, walking to shut it off.

Okay, so at least he doesn't suffer from heat or something along those lines and need the air on for that sake. "It's fine." Chae Won answered.

He walked around the desk and took a seat in the leather recliner chair opposite her. He leaned to an almost obscene angle and undid the button on his suit jacket and sat up to face her. She tucked one of the escaped tendrils of her hair behind her ear and pretended he didn't intimidate her.

"May I see your resume please?" he asked.

"Uh, oh yes. Of course." She scurried into her bag and pulled out the letter size envelope in which she kept it in and handed it to him.

"I saw you in the lobby as I was coming into the building." He revealed, still with his eyes studying her resume.

"Did you really?" Chae Won forced a nervous half grin.

He looked up at her and nodded with a smile. “I asked Kyo Eun to have me personally interview you.”

Chae Won, unsure where this was headed, just sat there and nodded agreeably.

"So tell me about yourself." He said setting down the document on the desktop.

Chae Won was ready to answer quickly and get this over with. "To be quite honest, I need this job because I'm desperate, well not technically me but my roommate. She demands that I get a job to help with rent." She rolled her eyes.

Seung Gi chuckled, "I didn't ask why you need the job. I asked you to tell me about yourself, like, who is Moon Chae Won?"

"Wait but isn't that what people ask at interviews?" She was puzzled.

He was amused by her ditsy behavior and her lack of ability to read his transparent gesture.

"Wait a minute, are you perhaps---" Chae Won expressed in suspicion when she finally caught on. She blew a deep sigh and held up her engagement ring. "Excuse me, Lee Seung Gi-ssi but I am engaged and fully committed."

His lips pursed and he nodded. "Ah, I see."

Chae Won sat there with her right leg crossed over her left and her arms crossed over her chest, air tapping her foot just waiting for his next move. The stupid air condition came on again and the room quickly became unbearably cold. When he didn't say another word but sat there just looking at her, she reached over and grabbed her resume from his desk and stuffed it back into her bag.

"I already know how this will end." She stood up. She had been through far too many interviews, and been rejected, to see this one coming. "Well it looks like I will be on my way. You have yourself a wonderful day, Mr. Lee." She clenched her jaw and turned to leave.

"You got the job!" He said right before she reached the door.

She turned back around, stunned. "Wait, what?"

"You're hired." He leaned back in his chair.

Her brows rose with excitement. She honestly didn't think she'd ever hear those words in this lifetime. "Are you serious?"

"Yes."

She quickly took a seat in the chair again. "But---"

"I admire your frankness." He revealed honestly. He seldom encounters such a bold person being at his status. Not only was she beautiful but he felt things could be interesting with her.

"Well, that is one of my better assets!" She voiced, grinning from ear to ear. "So when can I start?"

+++

The weeks following that consisted of training and shadowing a cheerful 2-year employee, who would rather be doing anything but work, by the name of Han Hyo Joo. She possessed a slim figure; light skinned and had a pretty face. Her dark hair flowed mid length with bangs covering her eyebrows.

Hyo Joo sat opposite Chae Won and in a half yawn and no enthusiasm whatsoever, recited the protocol. She stopped after just a minute and took a deep breath. She flipped through the handbook and was distressed upon discovering the many pages she was responsible to cover.

"Do we have to go over that whole thing?" Chae Won was dreading it even possibly more so than she was.

Her eyes lit up in relief. She was glad Chae Won wasn't one of those goodie-two-shoes too concerned about following the rules. "No we don't. Let me just sum it up for you." She grinned. "Basically this is a public broadcasting company, which I'm sure you already know, and if you didn't, now you do. In that case, celebrities will walk in and out of here on a daily basis. By no means can you overreact or fangirl towards anyone. Most importantly, everything that happens here is confidential and should never be spoken about elsewhere. Understood?"

"Understood."

"Good, so now we can move on. Oooh---" she stopped and grabbed Chae Won's left hand. "Who's the lucky guy?" she asked, referring to her engagement ring.

Chae Won blushed as Jin Hyuk's face flashed in her mind, "His name is Choi Jin Hyuk."

"Ow, I'm so jealous." She threw Chae Won's hand back. "When's the wedding?"

"We haven't decided just yet. He's currently studying abroad and when he returns then we'll set a date."

"That is so cute." Hyo Joo squealed. "I'll be invited, right?"

Chae Won laughed, "Sure."

"Eeee."

Chae Won was handed her badge which had her picture that she took earlier and her full name on it. On the upper right hand corner was the LBC logo. Below it printed 'Staff' in larger and bolder text, no elaboration, just simply 'Staff'. Hyo Joo described it as a floater who can be placed in any department. Chae Won described it as a tool who is used to do the tedious part of everyone's jobs.

+++

"Oh my god, I'm so over it, Geun Young-ah!" Chae Won sat on the bed as Geun Young was getting ready for work. "Tomorrow is my first official day of work and I don't think I can do it."

"Well you're going to whether you like it or not."

"Why?" Chae Won whined and threw her head onto the pillow and kicked her feet like a child. "I'll look for another job somewhere else!"

"No you will not." Geun Young groaned, struggling to put on her shoes. "It was hard enough for you to land this one."

"I mean it, I cannot work at that place."

Geun Young heaved a sigh of annoyance, "Chae Won, do you think I like my job?!"

"Well maybe. You've been there---"

"No I do not!"  Geun Young didn't let her finish. "But I have no choice if I want a roof over my head and food in my stomach! The same should go for you! I mean, how bad can it possibly be? You should just be glad you are not surrounded by herds of drunk people and also do not have to sacrifice your sleep like I do."

Chae Won rose up to a sitting position and dug her fingers at her roots, wanting to pull out her hair. "Geun Young, you're killing me! What was I thinking leaving home?!" She grabbed the pillow and held it in a tight grip.

"Why don't you go back then?" Geun Young taunted.

"No! I will not return to that hell hole unless that witch leaves and abeoji comes begging for me!” She retold probably for the hundredth time. “Although I really do miss my room, all my clothes, my designer bags and shoes, my car." she frowned.

"Oh oppa!" Geun Young sensed Joong Ki's arrival home. She was willing to do anything to escape Chae Won at this point.

"Yes?" Joong Ki was on his way to his room but stopped to see what Geun Young had to say. "Oh hi Chae Won, how was training today?"

"Whatever." Chae Won rolled her eyes.

"Oppa, Min Ah is in town tomorrow."

Joong Ki's brows rose in interest and he crossed his arms and leaned against the doorway, "Is she?"

"She's going to be staying here for one night since there was a mishap with the hotel she booked and it will not be available for check-in until the next day."

"Wait wait, who's going to be staying here?" Chae Won was irritated by the fact that Geun Young never filled her in on decisions like these. "Who's Min Ah, anyway?"

"Oppa's ex-girlfriend."

Joong Ki laughed, "Geun Young, that was way too long ago."

His giddiness was evident, or at least to Chae Won it was. That was no way to act towards an old flame if you didn't still harbor feelings for them.

"So what is this place, a hotel now?" Chae Won asked Geun Young. "Also, don't I live here too? Wouldn't you think to run these things by me before you welcome home a stranger like you did with him?"

"Ya, are you paying rent?!" Geun Young barked at her.

"Technically I will be now since you're forcing me to work at that stupid job!"

"Exactly, you will be. You have not been and will not be paying tomorrow so no, you have no say as to whether I can bring home my oppa or my friend!"

Chae Won huffed, "Where is she even going to sleep?! It's not like our bed has any room."

"She can sleep with me if that's a problem." Joong Ki joked.

"Oppa!" Geun Young expressed in disgust.

"I bet you'd like that, wouldn't you?" Chae Won took a stab at him and rolled her eyes. "Don't be thinking about doing dirty things on my bed. Remember, it is my bed. You are only here temporarily."

"Does a man and a woman necessarily have to do something dirty when together on the same bed?" Joong Ki questioned.

"Yea, knowing you men!"

"Is that why we did something dirty that night?" Joong Ki took a stab back.

"Wow!" Chae Won clenched her jaw.

"Oppa!" Geun Young's face distorted and she covered both her ears. "I better leave to work. I've heard enough!" She grabbed her belongings and hurried out the door. “Anyway, be ready to welcome Min Ah tomorrow.” She snickered at Chae Won.

"Be safe, little one. See you tomorrow." Joong Ki showed her out.

As he was making his way back to Chae Won, he met her in the doorway while she attempted to go to the kitchen. Joong Ki had his arms stretched out holding the sides of the walls to the entrance. They both halted just in time before running into one another.

They were close enough that Joong Ki detected Chae Won’s scent. A rose by any other name would smell as sweet. He gazed down on her and his eyes stopped at her soft pink tinted lips, with his heart beating in rhythm. He couldn’t recall the last time he felt this way toward a girl. It was definitely strange, even stranger because he normally wouldn’t be into girls like her. No doubt she was gorgeous but her rude obnoxious arrogant attitude just wasn’t suitable for him. Besides, she was already engaged too so it wouldn’t do him any good to be interested in her nonetheless. But what’s with this giddiness all of a sudden?

Chae Won lost her cool again with Joong Ki’s eyes on her. She admitted he had the kind of face that stopped anyone in their tracks. It’s definitely something he had to get used to, the sudden pause in a person’s natural expression when they catch a glimpse of him. She didn’t doubt Geun Young’s words about every girl chasing him in school. But she’s different right?  She had Jin Hyuk and Jin Hyuk was as equally appealing. There shouldn’t be a reason to get shaken by him.  

Joong Ki’s face slowly leaned towards Chae Won’s, narrowing the gap in between their lips. Without much thought, she caved into temptation and shut her eyes just waiting for that longing touch. Joong Ki himself wasn’t thinking either. The clear fact of her being another man’s woman quickly vanished into thin air. They now felt the other’s breathing on their lips and just when Joong Ki was about to dive in, Chae Won’s phone buzzed.

Chae Won’s eyes shot open and it was a minute but she managed to get a hold of herself and rushed to her phone. It was Jin Hyuk.

“Oh oppa.” She answered with her back towards Joong Ki.

Joong Ki stood there slightly disbelieving in what was about to happen. He needed time to process it through.

“Yes, I’m getting ready for bed. Did you barely get up?” Chae Won continued her conversation with Jin Hyuk.

Joong Ki took a deep breath and without a word to her, he walked to his room and shut the door.


How was this chapter? ^^ Please leave me your thoughts. They will make my day and make me update faster. ~~ huhuhu ^^

(>)_(<)' Lillie