Chapter 3 : Grin & Bear It

Inter Duo
Please log in to read the full chapter

Chapter 3: Grin & Bear It

How could he have been so stupid? How on earth had he forgotten, after so many years, that he doesn’t have a home anymore, just an empty shell of a father and an old mattress?

Every inch of his body ached from the beating and new bruises were blooming on his soft, pale skin. Being bigger, stronger and older now meant nothing, fighting back did nothing. Nothing, nothing, nothing, that’s all he was. Hyukjae smacked his palms against his forehead in frustration, his breathing hitched and he pulled his legs closer to bury his face in his knees. Drop by drop tears soaked his pants as he wallowed in his father’s hate for him… and his own hate for himself.

*

Donghae couldn’t breathe. It was the first time it’d happened outside of home and he was terrified, he could feel the blood pulsing through his veins, eyes darting around the room of curious faces. Slowly, a tall figure approached and squatted in front of him, gently placing their hand on his shoulder.

“Donghae, it’s okay, it’s over.” Siwon’s voice was soft and kind but every part of Donghae’s body told him to run, run until he was far away from the danger. The room watched as the brunet’s eyes flited between the door and the concerned teammate. A thin layer of sweat sat on his brow and his arms were defensively wrapped around himself. Zhoumi, the team’s goal keeper, had had the incentive to call one of Donghae’s friends, who suddenly came bursting in and disturbed the gloomy silence that had fallen over the crowd.

“Where is he?” A stern voice took charge of the room, “Where is Donghae?” An almost angry tone laced Kyuhyun’s question as he glanced around and quickly found his best friend curled into a ball on the locker room’s dirty floor. He met a pair of scared brown orbs filled with a horrendous pain, caused by something he could never stop. The younger’s heart broke a little when he saw the lines Donghae’s tears had carved into his face as the last of them glistened on his cheeks. Quickly closing the gap between them, he embraced him in a reassuring hug; promising him, silently, that he was safe now, nothing could hurt him.

Every joint in his body was stiff with shock; Donghae shut his eyes and focused on his own breathing and the warm arms that now offered him comfort. After what felt like forever he opened his own eyes and met Kyuhyun’s, “Do you want me to take you home?” the taller asked, ignoring the stares from the surrounding footballers. Donghae simply nodded and was quietly led away from the scene, a protective arm guiding his shoulders.

*

That night he lay awake staring into the darkness, letting his thoughts and dreams dance before him in the shadows. Streams of vapour swirled from the tea on his bedside table, spinning around like dancers. He lost himself in his own mind letting it wander and stretch as he considered his confusing condition, Cruciatus Inter Duo. Wondering how his life may have been if it had been something different, he found himself envying his friends. How Kyuhyun would explode in unbelievable fits of rage or how Sungmin had days where he would remain in bed, sobbing for no obvious reason, would that be better? Would knowing that your soul mate was upset be worse than knowing they were injured?

Sighing, he flipped onto his back and rested his hands on his stomach. The pain in his muscles had begun to subside and allowed him to relax. He attempted to paint a picture in his head of what he believed his soul mate to look like, to find peace in knowing they’d be together one day. Donghae drifted into a deep sleep filled with images of the girl he pictured himself being with forever, a small smile crept onto the boy’s face.

*

Blaring music woke him with a start. The drowsy teen reached clumsily for his phone and finally found it, groaning in irritation at his aching muscles being used. “Hello?” He hadn’t bothered to check the caller ID or even the time.

“Hae,” a motherly voice breathed, “How are you feeling?”

“Sleepy…” Donghae muttered, rubbing his tired eyes, “Why on earth are you calling now Minnie?”

“I’ve been to training, it’s only half six and I wanted to check up on you,” Sungmin spoke with charm in fear of annoying his  friend , “Kyuhyun told me about what happened, are you sure you’re okay?”

Grunting, the brunet slowly sat up in the darkness and stretched, wincing at the pain that lingered, “I’m okay, couldn’t you have waited till school and let me have more sleep?”

“You should be up already, you aren’t half lazy!” A chuckle rattled through the phone as Donghae rose to greet the morning, heading towards his bathroom.

“I’m up don’t worry,” Flicking the light on, he squinted his eyes at the suddenly bright room, “And I’m going to take a shower I’ll speak to you later Min.” He ended the call after a quick bye and hopped in the shower, letting the hot water soothe him.

*

Finally, after being fussed over by his mum and being offered the day off, Donghae was on his way towards the corner where he and Kyuhyun met every morning. Golden leaves crunched beneath his feet as the sun rose from behind the houses that lined his quiet street and a soft breeze nipped at his nose. Smiling contently he buried his hands deeper into his pockets and waited patiently for his friend to appear. Sooner rather than later the taller brunet came strolling towards him, a gentle flush to his cheeks off the cold weather.

“I didn’t think I’d see you today.” He commented as the pair headed towards school.

“Life goes on,” Shrugged the elder, “If it’s alway

Please log in to read the full chapter