Chapter 1

The 12 bunnies

O/C POV:

Damn this school!” I yell out into the street.

No, I don't care if people hear, no one's out anyway.

I just have just got out of detention. No idea what I did wrong.

Unless...

###

So Grace, did you actually do the homework?” The teacher glared at me, waving others' homework in front of me.

I smiled politely.

No miss, I didn't see the point in it, so I 'lost' it.”

She continued glaring at me. My smile started to hurt.

Detention Grace! See me after school.”

It's a date!” I muttered under my breath (she didn't hear it, thankfully).

 

End of day...

 

I walked into the room and flopped into one of the chairs and sprawled over the desk.

Let this hour begin.

 

Hour later...

You can go now Grace, I shall see you tomorrow.”

I nodded, stood up, and left.

###

And here I am now.

I yelped as a roar shook the buildings and the heavens opened up.

Just great. School, and now this?! Why do people have grudges against me, geez...”

 

THUMP

 

What was that?

 

THUMP

 

No one is messing with me. They should know I will knock them out.

 

THUMP

 

I backed away from the noise, hoping people were just messing around.

 

Thump.

 

That one was quieter, almost like the sound of...

A frightened rabbit.

 

Rabbits shouldn't be out in this weather, they will get too cold and die.

Curiosity got the better of me and I slowly snuck forward.

Damn me and my love for rabbits.

 

Water dripped down my neck as I inched towards the thumping noise, leading me into a dark, cold alleyway.

A large, brown box stood before me, the cardboard sopping wet and crumbling.

 

THUMP.

 

Definatley coming from the box, it moved with the thump.

I closed the distance between me and the box and I peaked inside.

 

Little rabbit eyes stared back at me.

I smiled nicely and opened the box further.

Hello, don't be scared, I'm gonna help you.”

I placed my hand on the edge and a large black rabbit stepped forward and sniffed it.

 

So adorable!

 

It nuzzled and hand and I gently him, guessing him to be a French lop.

 

Why am I already calling him a him? Well... He looks like a him, but still...

 

Hey boy, can I pick you up?” I whispered while holding him gently around his middle, giving him time to escape if he wanted to escape.

 

He stayed still and I slowly picked him up, making sure his back legs were secure and not dangling.

I brought him close to me and his back with slow, long .

Well you seem to be healthy, just cold and wet. Your weight seems about right (French lops are heavy, but I'm used to their weight).”

I placed him on the concrete next to me and looked inside the box again.

I counted the heads and mournful eyes staring at me.

10, 11...” I looked at the black French Lop. “12...”

I can't leave them all out in the cold, they'll die, and I would deem myself a bunny murderer!

Ok bunnies! You're coming with me... But I can not carry all of you at once. I may have to make a few trips back and forth. I'll leave the box open so if you want to go, you're welcome to go, you just won't get a clean, dry place to sleep.”

And I have no idea why I'm talking to rabbits like humans.

I picked up the French lop in front if me.

I'll start with you and a small friend. Then I will come back.”

I looked into the box and noticed a tiny black and white mini lop.

I him gently.

Come on, you're coming with me.”

The little bunny allowed me to pick him up, and he nuzzled against the French lop.

You're so cute! Luckily, My apartment is not far away, so we can get you both and you're friends dry.”

I ran the three minutes home, unlocked the door and placed the bunnies inside.

I'm going back for the others. I will be back soon.”

I closed the door and ran back to the box.

A fat ginger German lop confidently came up to me and 'said' hi, while a medium size Harlequin followed behind.

I picked them both up and let them get comfortable in my arms.

I ran back and the two already at my apartment greeted the new two on the floor.

Back in a bit!” And I ran out the door.

I came back a third time with two Angoras, then a forth with a Lion-head and a Pole.

A fifth with a black and white Dutch and a bouncy black, white, yellow, brown and white Rheinlander.

One more time bunnies! Then I will help dry you.”

I ran out a sixth time and I hoped they were both still there.

I reached the alleyway completely out of breath.

Bunnies, where are you?”

A blacky silver head popped out the box.

Hello you, where's your other friend?”

I opened the box and found both still there.

The little Silver hopped out and pace around the box almost nervously.

I him and looked toward the darker coloured bunny in the box.

It lay on it's side and seemed to be breathing heavily, as though it was in pain.

I reached in and gently the rabbits back.

It flinched and I moved my hand away.

I'm sorry bunny, but I need to move you so I can look after you. Please hold on a minute.”

I took my blazer off and wrapped it around the bunny and looked towards the Silver.

I'm sorry boy, but you'll have to wait for me. I can't carry a injured rabbit and another rabbit at the same time.”

The rabbit looked at my understandingly and followed me as I walked.

Feel free to follow, but don't run too close, I may step on you.” I chuckled toward the intelligent rabbit as I started jogging.

The bunny kept up with me all the way to my apartment.

 

I started to worry for the little Rex in my arms, who had not moved since I had picked him up (what is it with me thinking they are all boys?!).

I threw the door open and ran to the bathroom, seeing all the rabbits already in my apartment looking on with curiosity.

I placed the the blazer bundle on the bathroom floor and started unwrapping it.

The little Rex watched me with frightened eyes.

Little Rex, be calm,” I spoke with a smile. “I'm just patching you up. You're lucky I still have medication for rabbits.”

I grabbed a clean hand towel and wrapped it round the Rex, making sure he would be warm, then I got up and aimed for my bedroom.

I looked under my bed and grabbed my bunny medication.

I saw 11 pairs of eyes watch me.

I'll dry you all shortly. Go into the kitchen, it's warm in there.”

I knelt beside the little Rex and slowly felt around his body, searching for the injured area.

I touched his left, back leg and he winched.

I pulled my hand away and found blood on my fingertips.

Right boy. The good news is, your leg isn't broken, just sprained with cuts. I just have to bandage it and make sure you don't move around much.”

I smiled and the Rex's ears. I grabbed the bandages.

Let's do this!”

###

Ten minutes later, the Rex was properly bandaged and sleeping from a light sedative (bunny friendly).

I picked him up and gently took him to the kitchen where I laid him in front of the cooling stove from my breakfast this morning (I own a strange stove... No complaints).

I turned towards the other bunnies and checked if any were still wet.

Th Dutch stared at me mournfully as its' fur still dripped water.

I grabbed another hand towel and patted him dry.

Ok bunnies, you all look dry now, so I am going to make you towel beds, then I am going to bed.”

I did so and the rabbits snuggled happily together.

I smiled and squealed internally as I walked towards my own bedroom.

I changed in my closet (completely normal) an as I came out, I saw a rabbit sleeping on my pillow.

The little Lion-head opened its' eyes briefly, then closed them again.

I stared at the Lion-head, the shrugged to a non existent question.

Seems I am sleeping with a rabbit then.”

I got into the covers and fell asleep almost instantly.

 

Hey, how was it? Please let me know and the next chapter will be up by Friday the 27th (still being written up and being checked for errors). I hope you enjoyed this (please let me know what you think of this).