Chapter 18

The Little Merman

A/N: I LIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIVE!!!!!!

 

Everyone was up early on Monday. Sehun and Luhan were getting ready for their morning commute, Lay had gotten up early to study, and Xi-eomma was teaching Suho how to make coffee and ‘its vital importance to people’s morning moods’. Sehun and Luhan scarfed their food and took with them their lunches Xi-eomma made the night before. “Good luck,” she called to the both of them.

“We’re off,” they shouted simultaneously and were rushing out the door to make the bus on time.

Xi-eomma laughed as she finished doing the dishes. Suho and Yixing were still eating, Suho reading the manual for the coffee machine and Lay staring at him for a second before poking him. “Yes,” Suho asked, setting aside the manual.

“I need to talk to you after we eat. Come to my room.” Suho nodded and finished quickly. They both did their dishes and Xi-eomma was off for her first appointment. Suho followed Lay to his room and shut the door behind them as a habit.

“What’s wrong Lay?”

“Nothing’s wrong. I talked with my professor,” he said casually. “I thought we should get your story straight for when we get there. Your medical story.”

Suho nodded and sat on the bed. “I was thinking about that last night…what if we said the orphanage didn’t believe in technology and relied on oriental medicine?”

Lay looked surprised but impressed. “Where did you learn about that?”

“It was mentioned several times in your textbook as an alternative to usual medication. I already told Xi-eomma that I was technologically inept because I was an apprentice priest, but that should cover the rest right?”

“Yes…that was easier than expected. I should warn you now though, we are going to get there on a bus-do you know what that is?”

Suho nodded. “It’s a type of automobile, it’s big, has many seats, and transports people quickly from one place to another, am I right?”

Lay nodded. “It’s also noisy and crowded. It’s proper etiquette to give your seats to elderly and pregnant women and you are not allowed to talk loudly on a bus. I got you a bus card.” From his desk he pulled out a small card and handed it over to Suho. “It’s good for 15 rides.”

Suho nodded. “I know how this is supposed to work.”

Lay nodded. “Are you nervous?”

“I probably will be tomorrow, but you’ll be with me right?” Lay nodded. “Then that’s reassuring.”

*          *          *

Sehun and Luhan were at the bus stop one minute before the bus came. They moved to the back and took a seat. “Thank goodness,” Luhan said, exhausted. He looked at Sehun, about to tell him something, but then he rolled his eyes and reached for the other’s tie. “You ed it up when we were running.”

“Does it look bad? Can you fix it?”

Luhan gave Sehun a weird look. “Are you nervous?”

“Can you tell?”

“Not at all,” Luhan said, flicking his nose. “Calm down, everyone is nervous for interviews but you need to convince him that you’re the best person for this job.” His hands now moved to Sehun’s head. “We should have styled your hair this morning…it looks like a bird’s .”

“I’m pretty sure that’s not a phrase.”

“Well now it is, stop moving.” Luhan running his fingers through Sehun’s hair was exactly what he didn’t need to keep him focused on the day ahead.

“…Ya, are you listening to me?”

Sehun snapped out of his daze and found Luhan about three inches away from his face. He jumped back in shock and banged his head against the window. “Ow…”

“Sehun-ah, are you okay? Are you bleeding? Where did you hit, do you feel woozy? What’s five times five?” The older was practically in the younger’s lap trying to check for any bumps or bruises. Sehun could hear the other passengers snickering and looking over so he pushed the older off him gently and rubbed his head.

“I’m fine Hyung, there’s no blood.”

“Sorry,” he said, sitting back in his seat. “I just wanted to tell you to look out the window to remember the route…” He pulled out one of his nursing books and began to read. Sehun reached into the older’s bag for his ipod and began listening with one ear in. He stared out the window until he felt Luhan’s head loll onto his shoulder. He poked Luhan and the older woke up and began studying again. This happened three more times before Luhan finally decided to sit up to see where they were. “Ours is the next stop.”

Sehun nodded and packed away Luhan’s ipod. Now it was his turn to fiddle with his clothes, tugging and readjusting the collar. Luhan saw this, rolled his eyes, and grabbed Sehun’s hand, interlacing their fingers. “Stop fidgeting, you look fine.”

“Is the tie supposed to be this tight?”

“Why, you want it tighter?”

“Hyung!” Luhan snorted at one of Sehun’s rare displays of aegyo.

“You look good, Hun-ah. Just remember to be calm, don’t play with your fingers, and for the love of your oceanic higher powers, smile!”

Sehun smiled just as the bus ground to a halt. The both of them exited the bus onto a busy sidewalk. To the left of them was the entranceway to the hospital. It was a fairly wide, but short road lined with sidewalks and there were signposts advertising where each department was. Sehun stared in awe of the giant building until he felt a tug on his sleeve. Luhan slipped his hand into Sehun’s again and began pulling him to the right, away from the hospital. “Don’t let go, I don’t want to lose you in the crowd,” Luhan said over his shoulder. Sehun nodded, then took a couple big strides so he was walking next to Luhan. He stared at the tall buildings in awe as Luhan pointed out what each one was. The walk to the flower shop was very educational, but very brief. Less than ten minutes after they had been walking, Luhan pointed to a shop across the street from them. “That’s the flower shop.”

“Wow…” It was a corner building and a very nice one at that. The windows were clean and lined with flowers in various bouquets and potted plants on display. A large sign proclaimed the shop as ‘XOXO Flower Shop’, but that wasn’t the impressive part. The smell coming out of the flower shop was heavenly. This is the difference between land and sea… He heard Luhan chuckle next to him. “What?”

“You looked high for a moment.”

“We don’t have flowers underwater.”

“…Sorry…”

“Sorry enough that you’ll buy me bubble tea?”

Luhan barked out a laugh and shoved him gently. “I should have known. If you get the job I’ll buy you bubble tea, call?”

“Call.”

“The phone booth is over there.” Luhan pointed left a little ways down the road. “I probably won’t pick up cuz I can’t keep my phone with me, but just tell me yes or no if you got the job and then walk back to the hospital and I’ll come out and meet you at noon, okay?”

Sehun nodded. “Do well on your exams, Hyung.”

“Good luck.” Reluctantly (or so it felt reluctant, Sehun really hoped it was) Luhan let go of his hand and patted his hair one last time. He waved and then walked away. Sehun turned around to stare at the flower shop again. He exhaled deeply and pressed the button to cross the street. Gods grant me your luck.

*          *          *

Sehun was about to open the door when someone burst out of the store seething. The man (tall broad, brawny, and kind of smelly) turned to Sehun and glared. “Stay away from here, that guy’s an !”Sehun stared at the man quietly, using his ‘I am a stoic Prince face’. The man let out another angry huff and stormed off down the road. Sehun took another deep breath and opened the door into the flower shop.

A tinkering bell announced his arrival and there was a shout of “Just a moment!” before a man appeared. He was short, like Suho but his hair was dark brown and styled away from his face. His eyes were much bigger than Suho’s and his lips were heart-shaped and curved into a friendly smile. “Thank goodness, I thought you were that man from before.”

“Oh, um…no. I passed him on my way in.” The other man grimaced in distaste, placing a pot containing an orchid on the counter and wiping his hands on his long green apron. Sehun was now extremely glad for his ‘interview’ outfit. This boy was wearing a white button down shirt which he rolled up to his elbows, black form-fitting pants, and black fashionable boots that covered his ankles. His attention went to the other’s face when he began speaking again. “So can I help you with something?”

“I have an interview with Do Kyungsoo at 8.” Thank the gods Luhan made me practice that.

“Oh, so you’re Luhan’s friend! Come over here behind the counter and we’ll get started on the interview. I’m Do Kyungsoo by the way, I own this shop.”

“O-oh. Nice to meet you,” Sehun said, hastily bowing. No wonder I shouldn’t call him ahjusshi, he’s barely older than me.

Kyungsoo returned the bow and offered him one of the two stools that were behind the counter. Sehun pulled out his resume and passed it over to Kyungsoo. Kyungsoo looked it over quickly before placing it on the counter and picking up a clipboard with (what Sehun suspected) interview questions. “I’ll just ask you a couple questions and I’d like honest answers. Why are you interested in this position here?”

Well, he did say honest… “I need to provide for me and my cousin and I was looking around for a job but…not many people are willing to hire me.” Kyungsoo nodded solemnly. Sehun quickly added on, “That’s not to say I’m not interested in the position! I did a lot of research on flowers and they’re all really interesting, especially the different varieties they can come in, the different meanings, and how they can be used in medicines and teas…” Nice, you just blew it.

Kyungsoo raised an eyebrow. “Well you certainly did your homework.” He pointed to the orchid on the counter. “What kind of flower is that?”

“…Imperial orchid?”

Kyungsoo’s other eyebrow went up. “Give me three uses of an orchid.”

“It’s used in Chinese remedies to cure lung illnesses, it can be used as a perfume or aromatherapy…and in food…vanilla, I think…?”

Kyungsoo nodded appreciatively. “You said you read up on flower meanings?”

“Yes.”

“If I was to give a bouquet of flowers to someone in the hospital, what flowers would I use?”

Sehun furrowed his eyebrows and his lips, thinking. “…Is the person a patient?”

“Who else would I send flowers to in a hospital,” Kyungsoo chuckled.

“A nice doctor…or a nurse.”

“Ah, you bring up a good point. Let’s say a patient.”

“What’s my relation to the patient?”

“It’s a friend.”

“Boy or girl?”

“Girl.”

“Was it a severe injury…?”

“Um…let’s say she just got out of surgery for appendicitis.”

“What’s her favorite color?”

“Blue. Is that necessary…?”

“Girls are picky…” Sehun trailed off. Kyungsoo nodded in understanding. “Purple peonies…yarrow, purple freesia, and blue delphinium.”

Kyungsoo laughed. “No yellow roses or geraniums?”

Sehun wrinkled his nose. “More than likely she’d kill me if I brought yellow when her favorite color is blue.”

Kyungsoo nodded. “That’s a very thoughtful arrangement…would she understand it?”

“Probably not, but the flowers are big, pretty, and somewhat blue, so even if she doesn’t understand the meaning, she’ll appreciate the colors.”

“Good. But what if she wanted a potted plant that she could keep for later in her apartment?”

“Gladolius? Or maybe ginger if she’s a really good friend and likes to cook.”

Kyungsoo burst out laughing. “Oh, I can see why you and Luhan are friends, that’s funny. Now how are your customer relations?”

The interview went on for an hour with Kyungsoo quizzing him on all aspects of stocking, floral arrangement, plant care, and cashier work.

“Well that about does it. Sehun-ah, I’d like to formally offer you the job.”

“Wha-really?”

“Yes, can you start today?”

“Y-yes! Thank you!” He bowed. “Thank you manager-nim.”

“Please don’t call me that, call me Kyungsoo-hyung.”

“Hyung?”

“I’m only two years older than you, I think it would be fine.” Sehun’s jaw dropped. “What? Do I not look my age?”

“No, I figured you were only a few years older than me…I just thought that it was impressive that you owned a business so young.”

“It’s not easy…which leads me to your duties. You’ll work 9-5 Mondays thru Fridays. It says on your resume that you can’t drive so you’ll be managing the store when I’m off making deliveries. For nearby deliveries including the hospital, I have my bike which you’re free to borrow. You must let me know before you leave for a delivery and when you come back so we never leave the store unattended. Also, here.” He reached under the counter and pulled out an apron like his. “Dress code is the apron, white button down shirt, and plain pants. Jeans are okay, but they cannot be distressed or light colored. And you must wear sneakers or boots. Ties are not recommended since they get in the way, so you should probably take that off before you start. Do you have any tattoos?” Sehun shook his head as he attempted to pull the tie off. “Okay, that makes it easier. No facial piercings at work, though I hardly doubt I need to tell you,” he said, looking at Sehun’s ears. “Ear piercings are fine since I have some of my own. Please no crazy hair colors, no flirting with customers, no yelling at customers, NEVER allow pets in the store even if they’re on a leash, there’s an buzzer under the counter for emergencies, and don’t smoke in the front of the store. Do you have a cell phone?”

“Um, no.”

“You should get one soon, I may need to call you when you’re out on delivery. When you pick up the phone always say, ‘Hello XOXO Flower Shop this is Sehun, how may I help you’ and have a notepad and pen ready. The basic bouquet prices are right here under the counter, all the bins are marked with the price per flower stalk, we get flower deliveries every Tuesday at 10 am, and we both get 30 minutes for lunch, yours is 12:30 to 1. Any questions so far?” Sehun shook his head. “Okay. Protocol for hospital deliveries is this: I’ll take care of it if there is more than one recipient. If that’s not the case, take the bike and ride to the front entrance. Go up to the front desk and say something like ‘Flower delivery for so-and-so in room whatever’. Usually they’ll take care of it from there but if they don’t or if a customer wants you to go up to the room, call me or send me a text on my cell that you’ll be a bit longer. There’s a directory to the right of the front desk, but if you ever get lost, ask someone. You are NEVER allowed to deliver flowers to the psychology department, not that they’d let you, or the morgue.”

“The morgue?!”

“Yeah. If a customer asks for the morgue see if they mean the ‘funeral hall’. You are not delivering flowers to corpses.”

“Has that…happened before?”

“Yeah. Some new medical examiner thought it would be funny to have flowers delivered to an empty freezer. Poor Kai nearly cried when the ME scared him from behind.”

“Oh um…who’s Kai?”

“You’ll meet him later today. Also, don’t swear in front of the clients. I know it’s tempting but it makes us look bad. That about covers it, anything else I’ll let you know as we go along.” Sehun nodded. What the hell did I get myself into… 

 

A/N: Sorry I've been MIA, life happened like hardcore and I might be going back to school...so yeah. I also might get a new job...so yeah there's that too. Also ironically, my mom had appendicitis. It , FYI.