Chapter 3

The Little Merman

The happiness he had from Sunday lasted him until Tuesday afternoon, when he was in a private hallway waiting for his father to get out of a meeting in his chambers so they could go tour the Royal Gardens which had recently finished remodeling. Joonmyeon was in the meeting writing the records and Sehun had finished his studies early, so he was bored. He was knocked out of his daydreaming state with a soft, “Crown Prince?”

He turned and to his surprise he saw Minseok, Jongdae’s butler. He also had spiky hair like Jongdae, but his cheeks were fuller and he had almost a youthful innocence about him, despite being two years older than his Master. Although he’d seen him often, he was not very familiar with the butler. “Yes Minseok, what can I do for you?”

“I have a message for you. From Master Jongdae.”

“Um...okay. What is it?”

“It’s a secret.” Sehun was tempted to roll his eyes, but restrained himself as he leaned closer to hear said ‘secret’.  All of a sudden, the butler wound up and smacked him hard against his cheek. The blow stunned Sehun for a second, which Minseok took full advantage of. He pulled the Prince towards him until his back met the wall and Sehun had to brace his forearms against it so he wouldn’t smash his face. Sehun barely registered the older’s look of regret as he leaned forward and kissed the younger hard.

Sehun’s brain had barely registered the kiss when he heard the door to the King’s chambers open and two noises of surprise. Minseok immediately pushed Sehun away from him and burst into tears. Sehun turned to see where the noises came from and his heart skipped a beat and he felt cold.

It was the King and Joonmyeon. They both looked at him with looks of pure shock, but Joonmyeon looked afraid while the King looked disgusted. They were all frozen for a second until Joonmyeon quickly turned around to close the doors to the King’s chambers where some Senate members could still be seen exiting the room from the main entryway.

“F-father, this is a mistake,” Sehun began but was cut off when the King raised his hand. He bit his lip, this was not good.

“No one saw, Sire,” Joonmyeon said as he returned to the King’s side.

The King nodded, though he never stopped glaring at Sehun and Minseok, who was now bowing on the floor and sobbing. Then he opened his mouth. “GUARDS!!!” from the hallway and the Kings room, at least a dozen guards appeared. “I am placing the Crown Prince and this butler under arrest. Deformed One, call back the Senators, tell them we are convening for an emergency disciplinary trial.” Everyone was shocked. The Crown Prince rarely did anything wrong and never something severe, so what warranted his arrest? “IMMEDIATELY!!!” The guards bowed and roughly grabbed the two boys, wrapping their wrists in cords, binding their fins, and dragging them to the throne room. As they passed the hallway where his and Jongdae’s bedroom was, he saw his cousin’s door shut with a snap. His stomach rumbled in disgust and he clenched his jaw. Of course this was planned by Jongdae, this is his revenge! He glanced at Minseok who had his head lowered in shame. He was put up to this. I’ll just tell the truth, there’s no way he’ll get out of this one.

*          *          *

Twenty minutes later they were situated outside of the throne room, waiting to be called in. A loud “Enter!” sounded and they were swum (more like forcefully ed) into the throne room. They forced them into a kneeling position and then left the room. Sehun smirked at the irony. This is my first time being off the throne pedestal since I was crowned. The senators sat facing each other to the left and right of the King so the two mermen felt uncomfortably boxed in. As usual, Joonmyeon sat on the steps of the pedestal to take notes. He looked worried, while the King, with his trident looked angry and menacing.

Joonmyeon swam upright to address the senators. “This is a Disciplinary Hearing for the Accused Crown Prince Sehun and Minseok the Butler. The crime is displaying and carrying out homoual practices.” All the Senate members gasped and several began talking amongst themselves. Most of them had known Sehun since he was young so they were understandably confused.

The King struck the pedestal with his trident once. “We will hear from the victim first. Minseok, you may speak now to defend yourself.”

Sehun’s head shot up. Victim? What does he mean victim, is that how it looked?! He glanced over at Minseok who was trembling. There’s no way he can keep up this act, just tell the truth and we’ll both be fine! “I-I was sent on an errand by Master Jongdae to ask the Crown Prince to borrow a book. I met him at his room but he insisted I come inside. I refused a-and he grabbed at me. I began swimming away-I couldn’t tell where I was going at the time-but I ended up in the private hallway to Your Highness’ chambers. He caught me and forced me against the wall. I tried slapping him to bring him to his senses…but he pinned me…and kissed me.”

Sehun’s mouth dropped open and the Senators began talking again. How can he lie like that? “That’s not true,” he shouted.

“ENOUGH,” the King shouted striking his trident again. Immediately the senators went silent. “Do not interrupt while I am questioning the victim.” He gave Sehun a death glare and he could have sworn that he saw the trident glow a bit. “Minseok.” The butler raised his head looking positively distraught and making Sehun want to scoff at the sight. “You said you struck the Crown Prince, am I correct?”

“Yes Sire, but only because I thought it would make him realize his unusual actions! I meant no harm upon the Crown Prince!”

“Where did you strike him?”

“Across the face.”

The King glanced at Sehun, saw his smarting red cheek, and nodded. “I see. Your testimony has been recorded, you are free to go. Guards!” The guards re-entered. “You may uncuff him. Send him back to Master Jongdae, we will call for him if he is needed.” They carried out his orders but Sehun was confused. That doesn’t usually happen, the prisoners are supposed to stay until both their testimonies are heard and then they are escorted to the jail. What is going on?!

“Crown Prince Sehun.” Sehun whipped his head back around to stare at his father. He briefly expected his father’s face to soften a bit now that the other boy had left, but it was just as cold as ever. “Only because you are the Crown Prince am I making the exception and allowing you to tell your testimony in private.” Sehun nodded and bowed as best he could. “I am most grateful.” The King ignored him and said, “You may start your defense.”

“I finished my studies early today so I left my room for your chambers. I was waiting outside when Minseok approached me-”

“Minseok claimed he approached you outside of your chambers.”

“He lied. I had already been waiting outside your chambers for twenty minutes before he came.” The King furrowed his eyebrows and several senators shifted uncomfortably in their chairs. “He told me he had a message for me from my cousin.”

“About some books?”

“No, he wouldn’t say.” Sehun was getting frustrated. Defenses were supposed to be given without interruption. “He told me it was a secret and told me to lean in close. I did, but then he slapped my cheek. He then pulled me towards him so he was flush against the wall and he kissed me.”

“And that’s it?”

“Yes, that’s all.”

The King shifted in his chair and then addressed the senators. “The Crown Prince claims he is not the attacker, but the victim! This is either one of the most unusual defense I’ve ever heard or-” he glared at Sehun. “-one of the most elaborate lies.”

The Senators immediately began chatting again. “It’s not a lie father, I speak the truth!”

“Or you speak stories. What are we to believe? It’s your word against the servant’s.” The King leered at him. Sehun’s body went cold as he realized something. He doesn’t believe me. He actually thinks I did this on purpose.

“Sire,” One of the senators to Sehun’s right stood up. It was Senator Kim Young-min whom he had known since he was a child. “May I suggest we use the Sea Witch’s Orb?” 

 

A/N: Part 1 of the trial. WHOAAAAA!!! This chapter is a little short but next one will be longer...I think. Comments make me happy and let me know how to improve. :)