Angel

FAMILY LIFE WITH THE KIM’S

CHAPTER 7

 

 

Seokjin was sitting on a chair beside Dhelcee’s hospital bed. She was awake and kept assuring her husband that she felt fine.  Taehyung, Jimin and Jungkook waited outside in the waiting area. A female doctor and nurse walk into the room and greet the married couple.

 

Seokjin grabs Dhelcee’s hand and squeezes it, “What’s wrong with my wife?”

 

“I’m Dr. Song.  Your wife, well how do I explain it to you? Hmm…” This doctor is in her mid-fifties and she was smiling happily at the couple.

 

Seokjin had no patience, “Dr. Song just please tell me what’s wrong with her.”  He begs.

 

“Congratulations!” She claps her hands with joy while the nurse standing behind her just rolls her eyes.

 

Seokjin did not understand what is there to congratulate when his wife was in pain and unconscious at their home earlier, “Excuse me?” He looks at the doctor in shock, “Why are you congratulating us?”

 

“Your wife is pregnant!” She happily says and continues to clap her hands. The nurse behind her again rolls her eyes but nods her head to Seokjin that what the doctor is saying is true.

 

Seokjin’s mouth drops open.  Dhelcee laughs and puts her hand under his chin to close his mouth. He was speechless so Dhelcee asked some questions, “Why did I have abdominal pain and was unconscious at home? Is the baby okay?”

 

Dr. Song moved closer to Dhelcee’s side of her hospital bed, “Actually…” She pauses.

 

This snapped Seokjin out of his shock and is now annoyed with the doctor, “I’m sorry Dr. Song but please tell us everything without any pauses. I’m really worried about my wife and now the baby too.”

 

“Mrs. Kim here is at her first trimester and most women have difficult times during this period.  She’s one of those women who are prone to getting ill easily. She will start experiencing nausea like any women who is pregnant but it will be much harder on her. She was dehydrated and that was the reason why she fainted at home.  Also for the abdominal pain….well…” She paused but got a pointed look from Seokjin to continue on, “She almost had a miscarriage from the fall.”

 

Seokjin and Dhelcee gasps in shock.

 

Dr. Song continued on, “Luckily the baby was strong enough to stay put and Mrs. Kim did not have much bleeding.  We only gave her less than half a bag of blood before you arrived when she was still unconscious.”

 

Dhelcee squeezes Seokjin’s hand, “How far along am I?”

 

Dr. Song looked back at the nurse then back at Dhelcee, “You’re on the very early stage of your first trimester and it is hard to detect how far along you are in your pregnancy. Usually an OB ultrasound can detect as early as to six to seven weeks which you are not. May I ask you when your last menstrual period beginning date was?”

 

“July 28.” Dhelcee answers.

 

Dr. Song and the nurse look at the clip board she was holding then smiles back at the couple, “You’re 4 weeks pregnant Mrs. Kim. Your baby is due on May 4, 2015 or around that time. We will still keep you here overnight to monitor you and your baby. And I suggest you to be on bed rest for a month. You only can get up to use the restroom but no strenuous movements. This pregnancy of yours is very delicate. Every week you will see an OB doctor to follow you and your baby’s health. We will see after the first trimester ends how strong your baby will be.  I’ll be back to check on you after my rounds again, congratulation to you both.” She gives the couple a warm smile before turning around along with her nurse and exits the room.

 

Seokjin sits beside Dhelcee on the hospital bed and wraps his arms around her, “We’re having a baby.” He gets teary eyes.

 

Dhelcee looks up at him and wipes his tears, “Your wish came true that you wanted us to start a family right away. Remember our honey moon?” She laughs, “Instant two teenagers and now a baby on the way.” She hugs him tighter. “We’re really having a baby.”

 

“A baby…” Seokjin kisses Dhelcee’s forehead, “You and the baby’s health are the most important thing right now. We have to follow instructions. Bed rest, okay?”

 

Dhelcee pouts, “Okay, for our baby. We want our baby to get stronger so Mommy can move again.” She smiles at Seokjin, “And Daddy will be happy too.”

 

Seokjin places his free hand over Dhelcee’s flat stomach, “We love you very much.  Please stay strong for us.”

 

 

 

 

--------------------------

 

 

 

 

Almost two hours has passed since they arrived at the hospital.  Taehyung was pacing back and forth while Jimin was sitting on one of the chairs shaking his legs. Jungkook was just staring blankly at the white wall in front of him. 

 

Seokjin emerges out of waiting room door and walks over to the boys. All three of them gathered around him quickly to hear the news, “Dhelcee’s condition is stable. They’re just going to keep her here overnight to observe her and our baby.”

 

All three of the boys mouth drop opened.  Seokjin laughs. One by one he closes each of their mouths, “Yes, we are having a baby.”

 

Taehyung engulfs his uncle into a tight hug,”Uncle Jin! I’m going to have a cousin?!” He lets go and starts running around the waiting room. 

 

Jimin shakes Seokjin’s hand, “Congrats hyung! But what happened to noona earlier?”

 

Jungkook also steps closer to Jimin, “Hyung, she was in a lot of pain before she passed out. Is the baby alright?”

 

Taehyung stopped running around and ran back to them to hear the news about the baby’s condition. Seokjin puts his hand on Taehyung’s shoulder, “She almost had a miscarriage when she fainted onto the floor. The doctor said her pregnancy for this first trimester is very delicate and she will have to be on bed rest. So I hope you boys will help me out in taking care of Dhelcee. I know it has been a tough week with the loss of your parents and now adding my wife and baby’s current condition.  We will have to stay strong.” He pats Taehyung shoulder and looks at both Jimin and Jungkook.

 

Jungkook smiles, “We’ll take good care of Noona every day before and after school…” He frowns, “But who will take care of her when we’re at school and you’re at work?”

 

Seokjin looks at Jungkook, “I will.”

 

Taehyung looks at his uncle in confusion, “You’re going to take a month leave off work? You already took one week off of work for us. Won’t you get fired?”

 

“I won’t.  I’ll work at home and still go to the office when you boys arrive from school. But  most of the other days I’ll just stay at home with Dhelcee and take care of her.  My family is more important and my boss is very kind. When I tell him our situation I hope he will understand.” He pats Taehyung’s shoulder, “So don’t worry about my job.”

 

Taehyung relaxes and smile, “I’m going to have a baby cousin. It’s a blessing after our families’ tragic lost. I think the baby is an angel for me and Jimin.” He looks at Jimin and smiles happily at him.

 

Jimin smiles back. Maybe Taehyung is right. Maybe the baby is an angel to show us that there is more to life than living in sadness of our parents’ death.

 

“I called my parents’ earlier and they said it was okay for me to stay here until I find out how Dhelcee noona is doing but afterwards I have to go home.” Jungkook looks at his watch. It reads 6 p.m.  “Hyung? Would you like Jimin and Taehyung to ride with me home? Our family driver is waiting for me since we rode together coming here when the ambulance took Noona.”

 

“Jungkook, that sounds like a good idea.  I’m sorry Taehyung and Jimin if I can’t take you home. I really want to stay by Dhelcee’s side right now. But I’ll come home in an hour to get some of her things and check on you boys.” He puts his free hand on Jimin’s shoulder, “You guys are young men. I know you two can take care of yourselves just for tonight. You guys have our house keys.” He turns his head to Jungkook, “I’ll give you guys money to buy some food on the way home as your dinner.”

 

Jungkook shakes his head, “No, it’s okay hyung. I have my card.  I’ll treat them.”

 

Seokjin lets go of Taehyung and Jimin and moves closer to Jungkook, “Jungkook, I’m trying to teach them to be independent. Let me give them their money to use for their own food. Maybe next time you can treat them but not now. Okay?”  Jungkook nods his head. He turns his head back at the other, “Be safe going home and don’t take too long in ordering your food okay? I’ll see you guys in about an hour or so.”

 

Taehyung gives his uncle another hug. Jimin goes up to Seokjin and shyly gives him a hug and so does Jungkook. They bid their good byes and leave the hospital together.

 

 

 

--------------------------

 

 

 

Jungkook’s driver drops off Taehyung and Jimin by their gate and his car drives down and makes a turn into an open gated house which is next door to the Kim’s residence.  Taehyung holding a plastic runs up toward their gate door to key in the code. Jimin was about to run too but stopped when he heard a crash to the left side behind him. He turns around and finds a bicycle flipped over without the rider in sight.  He later discovers the rider a foot away from the bicycle hunched over on the side of the road, “Tae!” He turns to look at Taehyung and points at the person on the ground.

 

Jimin runs first toward the injured person. Once he got closer he realized it was a young female who was whimpering in pain. He kneeled beside her, “Miss are you okay?”

 

The young female looks up at Jimin with tears streaming down her cheeks, “I think I just bruised my knees. Umm, I think I’ll sit for a bit until I could stand…” She sniffles and tries to hold back her cry of pain.

 

“Haneul right?” Jimin looks at her hands touching her knees, “Taehyung and I can help you get home. I can carry you.” He offers.

 

Taehyung arrives next to them with Haneul’s bike, “Jimin is right. I don’t think the pain will go away anytime soon for you to walk. He’s strong and he can carry you.”

 

Haneul blushes and shakes her head, “It’s too much of a burden for him to carry me all the way to my house which is three houses down. I can sit on my bike and you guys can push me?” She keeps her head down not looking up at Jimin.

 

“Your bike’s tire at the front is flat. He has to carry you. Also I heard Jungkook our neighbor knows your family. We’re your oppas by the way. So you have to listen to us.” Taehyung teases, “Seriously, it’s already dark and for sure your parents will be worried about you.  Jimin has muscles and your weight is nothing compared to what he lifts.”

 

Jimin tells himself he will fart in their bathroom when they get inside as revenge but first he has to take care of Haneul, “Hanuel please let me help you.”

 

Haneul finally lifts her head up and nods, “Okay, oppa…”  Jimin puts one arm under her legs then puts his other arm around her back then slowly lifts her off the ground. She flinches in pain with the small movement.

 

“I’m sorry. I’ll try not to move too much when we’re walking.” Jimin assures her. He feels Haneul’s arms tighten around his neck afraid that she might fall, “Don’t worry I got a good hold of you.” She nods her head against his shoulder as he begins to walk.

 

Taehyung follows behind them with Haneul’s broken bike. He was grinning watching the two in front of them. Jimin is going to kill me for this. He pulls out his cellphone and snaps a candid shot of Jimin carrying Haneul when they walked passed a street light. I took a magnificent picture of the two. He quickly pockets his cellphone away and continues their short journey to the Lee’s residence.

 

They reach Haneul’s home in less than five minutes. Taehyung rings the doorbell. Haneul shows her face on the screen and ask them to open the door gate. They were greeted by her very worried unnie, “Haneul! I told you not to go alone to the convenient store. Now, look what happened to you. Aigoo! Mom and Dad are going to be mad at you for leaving the house without me.”

 

Jimin shifts Haneul’s weight and tries to balance her in his arms, “Um, Candy noona? I’m Jimin. Your new neighbor you met this morning…uh if you don’t mind can we bring Haneul inside? She hurt her knees.”

 

Candy gasps, “Omo! I’m so sorry! Of course, come inside!”

 

The boys follow Candy through the gate and she quickly closes it behind them. She tells Taehyung to leave the broken bike by the gate door and they hurriedly followed her into their home. She guides them toward the living room area and Jimin gently places Haneul on the couch.

 

He moves back next to Taehyung standing a foot away from the couch and listens to Candy lecture Haneul.

 

“Why did you have to go out at this time? You know our parents will be coming home later this evening and yet you went out. How are we going to hide your pain?” Candy paces back and forth in front of Haneul.

 

Haneul keeps her head down, “I can just go to sleep early. My knees should be fine in the morning. I’ll put ice on them when I get to my room.”

 

Candy stops pacing, “Let’s hope you’re not limping tomorrow morning when we go to school. Haneul you must understand how hard it is for me to keep protecting you from our parents’.” She kneels down in front of Haneul and takes her hands form her lap, “I love you little sister and I don’t like seeing you get in trouble or hurt like this. Please let this be the last. You can’t leave my side.”

 

Haneul nods her head, “I’m so sorry Candy unnie. I promise I won’t do it again.”

 

Candy stands back up and turns to face the two guests, “Thank you Jimin and?”

 

“Kim Taehyung! I’m the nephew of Kim Seokjin your new neighbors!” He flashes his square smile, “She’s lucky that we were around when she fell off her bike. At least we were able to bring her home safely. I bet it would be very painful for her to walk home alone. Actually, Jimin here was the one that found her first.” Taehyung pulls Jimin closer and wraps his arm around him, “Park Jimin.”

 

“Thank you again Jimin and Taehyung for bring my little sister home safely. She means the world to me.” She bows her head then looks up at them, “Will you guys be attending our school? We attend Seoul Performing Arts High School.”

 

Jimin glances at Haneul who was looking at them but quickly looks down at her hands, “Yes, we’ll be attending the same school. We’ll start next week.” He smiles at Candy and sneaks a peek again at Haneul who has her head down. He frowns.

 

Taehyung nudges Jimin in the elbow, “Go talk to her.”

 

Candy looks back at Haneul then at Jimin, “Haneul please look up and thank them for helping you.”

 

Taehyung shoves Jimin toward the couch and he trips over. His hands instinctively grab the arm rest of the couch. He turns tomato red in embarrassment looking at Haneul who was in shock, “I’m sorry.”

 

Haneul shyly smiles, “It’s okay…umm thank you Jimin…” She looks at her hands on her lap briefly then looks back up at Taehyung then at Jimin, “Are you two my age? I’m 15 years old.”

 

Jimin stands up and shakes his head, “We’re both 16 years old.”

 

“Oh.” Haneul looks down again, “Thank you Jimin oppa and Taehyung oppa for bringing me home safely.” She says softly.

 

Candy moves closer to Haneul and tilts her chin up, “You can’t always be shy. Look them in the eyes and thank them properly.” She let’s go of her chin.

 

Haneul looks Jimin in the eyes. Jimin gulps. He feels like her innocent eyes is hypnotizing him into a trance and he did not hear what Haneul was saying until he heard Taehyung’s loud voice break the trance.

 

“You’re very welcome Haneul!” Taehyung is now beside Jimin and pulling him away from the living room area, “We’ll meet again in a nicer setting we have to head home now. It was nice meeting you Candy noona and Haneul!”

 

Jimin stopped in his track and turned around to look at Haneul one more time, “Rest well Haneul and make sure you take some pain medicine for your knees. Good night.” He gives a small smile then quickly follows Taehyung out the door.

 

As they were walking back home Jimin suddenly headlocks Taehyung, “You’re so in trouble!”

 

Taehyung’s loud laughter echoes the quiet neighborhood, “You’re choking me…hahahaha…remember Dhelcee noona said no farting anywhere in the house…let go of me..” He was slapping Jimin’s arm to release him from a headlock while he was still laughing.

 

“She’s not here or Jin hyung. I shall take you to our bathroom.” Jimin drags Taehyung toward their house.