Chapter 33

12 Overprotective Seniors

The next day‘s activity start with exercising. When you looked at your bandage on your knee, you then remembered what happened yesterday. You went over to the place where the cohort was supposed to gather at.

“Good morning, Jerelyn! How’s your knee?” Luhan asked being in concerned because he knew that yesterday wasn’t a day for you.

“It’s fine now. But it does hurt at times.” You told them hoping that they wouldn’t be worried for you.

The instructor came over and started to ask everyone to do warm-ups. There were jumping-jacks, sit-ups and push-ups before running 600meter. When you were done with the warm-ups and was about to go for the run, another instructor stopped you because you had your knee injured and wasn’t advised to go for the run. You pouted because you wanted to run with your friends so much. You had no way but listened to the instructor’s words.

***

“Everybody, after your breakfast, we will have to do high elements and after the activity, you will have trekking to the small forest. Then, it will be your lunch time. Thereafter, you will have break all the way but please come up with a cheer and dance for the campfire tonight.” The instructor announced to us the programme for the day after breakfast. You weren’t looking forward for the high elements. You had phobia in heights.

“Why is this camp so tough? Another obstacle!” You complained to EXO members and they looked at you with their puzzled pair of eyes.

“Aish! High elements! I don’t think I can do it. I’m afraid of heights.” You lowered your voice and sighed in frustration. You thought camp was supposed to be fun, but this camp doesn’t seem so. All of you proceeded to the high elements activity. There were different kinds of high elements. Unfortunately, the instructors had separated all of you to do different elements. Sadly, you had to do abseiling. You shook your head at the high wall. The instructors in charge of abseiling told you that the building was 3 storeys high.

You kept pushing other seniors or friends to do the activity first. None of the EXO members were doing abseiling.

“Okay. It’s your turn. You are the last already.” The instructor smiled at you while putting on all the harness and other safety precaution equipments such as, helmet and gloves on you. You kept telling your instructors that you wouldn’t be able to do it. Since they are the instructors, they kept giving words of encouragement to you. Suddenly, you heard a familiar voice coming from the 1st floor.

“Jerelyn! You can do this!” You looked down to see that it was Kai shouting. You took a deep breath before telling your instructor that you are ready for abseiling. Slowly, you face your instructors and ‘walked’ down on the wall.

“Fighting!” You heard Kai again. When you got further away from the instructors, you panic. You weren’t sure if you still have a long way before reaching the ground.

“Go Jerelyn! Go Jerelyn!” You heard almost everyone cheering for you. You took a look down at your fellow seniors and friends. But it was a horror to you. Because you saw how far away from the ground you were. “Ahhh!” You screamed and missed the tempo from abseiling. You were left hanging in the air. The instructors from above showed a well done signal before lowering you down slowly.

“It’s alright. You’ve done your best.” Kai patted on your shoulder after you’ve touched the ground. You nodded your head in response to him.

***

Trekking was one of your favourite camp activities. You prepared snacks and water for the trek through the forest. It will be a 4 hours or more of trekking. Even though there will be obstacles through the trekking, you would overcome it.

You walked slowly and looked around the forest. You were stepping onto those fallen leaves. You can even take some photos as a memory for the camp. Your lips dried up easily while trekking and unknowingly, you had finished your water. You did not tell anyone but just continue walking with the rest.

“Okay. We will stop here for a while. Please do drink up. The sun is scorching hot. Hydrate yourself.” The instructor stopped us from trekking farther.

Of course, you looked at others that gulped down their drinks.

“Jerelyn, why aren’t you drinking your water?” Baek noticed and asked you. You smiled and told him that you had finished drinking your water before reaching this rest point. Baek wanted to offer his water to you but he had already finished on spot before he asked you about it.

“Here” a hand that suddenly came from the side with a bottle of water. You traced up the arm and saw that it was Kai that offered you his drink. You pushed away the bottle of water and told him that he should drink more instead.

“Nah, I don’t want you to get heat . Your lips are already dried up. Hurry drink up.” Kai once again handed you his bottle of water.

“What about you?” You asked in concerned. Kai then replied saying that he had another bottle of water in his bag. You were convinced and took the bottle of water, gulping down half the bottle of water and kept inside your bag before continuing the trek.

It was getting harder to walk as cohort was walking into the mud area, where your leg can get stuck easily. You took careful steps and struggled a bit when your legs were stuck. Sometimes, Kai would give a helping hand to help you free your legs from being stuck.

You didn’t know why Kai was doing all this for you. Maybe it was just like a brother helping his younger sister.

Behind Kai and you, were the rest of EXO members. They started whispering to each other.

“Don’t you think Kai has feeling for Jerelyn?” Chanyeol asked while he pops a lollipop into his mouth. “I thought that too. Throughout this camp, Kai was helping her all along.” Kris nodded in agreement. But some of them disapproved about it.

“No! Jerelyn cannot get together with Kai.” Sehun pouted upon hearing them discussing about it. “I must protect her from Kai.” Xiumin shook his head. It’s as though they were arguing whether Kai and you should get together.

Just then, you turned around to look at them. They immediately shut their mouth. You find that they were behaving weirdly but decided not to care about it.

The trekking actually only took 3.5 hours to finish. The instructors compliment the dance cohort that they did well as they finished the trekking below the expected time. Everybody was released to go back for shower time since there was extra time.

After showering, everybody gathered at the eating area for lunch. When they had gotten their packet of rice, everybody ate as though they had starved for days. Maybe it was because the trekking had taken too much energy.

“I wonder what activity will there be during the campfire at night.” Suho discussed. Other than having cheers and dances, they believed that there will be other activities.

“Yeah, hopefully it’s something fun.” Sehun added.

Since everyone ate their lunch scrumptiously, they gathered around without the instructors to discuss about the cheers and dances.

Some of them came up with ideas of break dancing. Kai selected ballet dance instead. Overall, there was a mixture of different types of dance. Other than cheering, they also selected a few people to sing. They rehearsed a little before the night sets in.

When the night arrives, the dance cohort sat in a circle around the campfire setting. The instructors would also sit with all of you but only one of them would be MC-ing for the ‘event’.

“Alright, everyone is here now. We will now announce the opening ceremony for the campfire.” The MC said and some instructors went up to set the fire.

Everyone cheered when the fire was lit up. Everything seemed romantic to you. In a rural village with campfire and your friends are all here enjoying the moment.

During the campfire, groups of different seniors would also go up to perform. But during those timing, Kai would look at you secretly. Your eyes that seemed to be shining brightly from the campfire. It was as though it’s an art to him. An alive art. At this moment while he was still looking at you, you felt that someone was staring at you. You turned and saw that Kai was looking at you. He was just sitting beside you. You didn’t ask anything but only to smile back at him.

After a few performances, it was the time for the whole cohort to perform. You started singing along with Baekhyun. It was a ballad song in Chinese. Along with the ballad, Kai and some other ballet dancers were dancing slowly according to the song. Others would clap along or sway.

When Baekhyun and you had finished the song, the next 2 will continue singing other song. This time round it was a modern rap song and break dancing was applied while those that had performed will take a rest by clapping along.

The mini performance by the cohort last a while before getting to the next segment of the campfire. The instructors start distributing a piece of blank paper.

“You are to write a letter to someone within this dance cohort. You can keep it as anonymous or you can write out your name.” The instructor explained.

After Kai had gotten the paper, he used the pen on his hand to tap on his chin thinking about who he should write it to. “Ahh!” He finally thought of the person.

To: Lynnie :p

Annyeong! I know you must be guessing who am I but I’ll not reveal myself. Anyway, the only thing I want to write in this letter is simple. Thank you for bringing fun and realized that I can be caring at times. Oops, I’m self-praising. But still… I love you.

From: Anonymous.

Kai hesitated for a while before writing the 3 words. He quickly folds the paper and handed back to the instructor. Baek and the others did asked Kai who he wrote it to but he did not reveal it.

***

“Jerelyn.” The instructor called out after collecting everybody’s letter. You went up to the instructor and took the letter that was for you. Actually, you had received a few letters. Baek, Sehun and Xiumin wrote it to you too. Their letters made you chuckled. But when you read the last letter which was from anonymous, it made your heart beat goes fast. Especially when you read the 3 words. You kept thinking who was this anonymous.

*Is it Kai?* You thought but immediately erased the thought as you think that it would not be from him. But the truth was that the letter is from Kai.

This camp brought much fun to you despite the bad happenings during the camp. But that makes you stronger. How about Kai? He realized something. He wasn’t sure. But it seemed like something within him is developed. He used to hate you for ‘breaking’ up the team and only to go to them whenever your ex-boyfriend had something on.

It was as if you had brought fun to his life. If he was to hate someone, he will surely hate that person till his death. This was a special case. He let go of the hatred and may had developed feelings for you. He wasn’t sure about his feeling yet. 


Much of Kai and Jerelyn moments here. Tsktsk. Kai is starting to think about it! Anyway, I'm sorry for the late update because recently my best friend came over. She lived quite far away from me and currently she's living a few blocks away from me temporary.